What game/genre labels or descriptions turn you off?

Fabulously Olivier

3 hours ago, BringoBongo said:

Open world, is a neat concept but the absolute saturation of them has completely burnt me out of them, can't stand them anymore

I think the reason we're seeing so many now is because game systems are finally powerful enough to process vast 3D worlds with seamless exploration. Sandbox games have been around since at least the 6th gen of consoles with titles like Grand Theft Auto and Spider-Man, and if you really want to dig, the concept of an open world game goes all the way back to the original Legend of Zelda on NES. So really, what you're thinking of are 3D open world games with near boundless exploration a la Breath of the Wild. And that's really no different from when The Legend of Zelda inspired numerous other top-down real-time action adventure games on the NES and beyond. Any time a game becomes a success, it usually spawns a genre or subgenre of similar games. See Follow the Leader on TV Tropes for more examples.

Open world games make sense; they're the most organic way to experience a world, giving you the ability to explore and interact with minimal interference from menus. Additionally, they give the player freedom to go where they want rather than have to sit through the same dozen cutscenes of dialogue in the same exact order again and again each time they play through the game. Compare Final Fantasy XIII, best known as the "Tube Game", for an example of the exact opposite.

Now, if open world games aren't your cup of tea, I understand, but they're as much a genre as platformers, RPGs, or fighting games, and have been for a long time. Just seems strange to be sick of them when they've been around in some form or another since the NES. The 3D model we see today is simply the modern version of that. But at least there are plenty of games that aren't open world titles to turn to as alternatives.

On 5/1/2021 at 4:41 PM, BringoBongo said:

Open world, is a neat concept but the absolute saturation of them has completely burnt me out of them, can't stand them anymore

Oh boy. I have personally seen some of my favorite franchises utterly ruined by transitioning into open world. Guild Wars to Guild Wars 2. Dynasty Warriors 8 to Dynasty Warriors 9. Assassin's Creed to Origins/Odyssey/Valhalla.

Sandbox. I am cool with open world but the label sandbox just means there is nothing much to do unless you really try to find it in game.

1st person view, No matter what genre, shooting or action, 1st person view makes me dizzy, literally, with all the spinning and turning of scenery.

classic/nostalgic, I only started gaming around 2010s, my first pokemon was gen 5, there is nothing nostalgic for me in FF7 or Zelda, I never even heard of Smash bros and kirby series til I go to fire emblem reddit and found the memes. There are way too many indie games try to made their look so old and vintage, even octopath traveler gave me the boring feels with its music and visual style.

Dungeon crawling/ Loot based games. It's just not my cup of tea. Bonus negative points if the description has "next diablo" in its name because I really don't like Diablo 3.

• 1 month later...

Platformers - The fast reflexes you sometimes need and the general lack of story material (particularly bad with a particular series notorious for its grandfather clause entitlement) killed my interest.
A good deal of real-time games: This one is more to do with my lack of ability in playing them and my lack of coordination. Though it depends on how demanding the real-time coordination is. If it is something relatively simple like the battles in Final Fantasy 6-9, then that is not a problem.
Nostalgic - After seeing the advances in some of the storytelling, its presentations, and gameplay QOL improvements for more recent games, I don't have as much interest.
Faithful remakes: Again, debatable depending on whether I played the original. Basically the reason why I'll get Skyward Sword or the Pokemon DPPt remake (because I haven't played it yet), or Final Fantasy 7 Remake (Not being faithful and changing the story was a good choice. Also: awesome worldbuilding!!!!), but not Link's Awakening (I've already played the original and the story for the remake hasn't been expanded at all when it damn well should have been for a $60 game).

Edited by henrymidfields