What game/genre labels or descriptions excite you?

Fabulously Olivier

Metroidvania is a genre I've heard a lot, and after playing through games in both the Metroid and Castlevania series, it's a genre that I very much enjoy. I almost feel like there's a special kind of prestige that the genre has; a uniqueness that you can't find anywhere else.

I'm also a sucker for racing games. It's a genre that I played a majority of growing up, and there are thrills that I never get tired of. Cars and racing have more or less always interested me, and most racing games that I play never disappoint. 

When it comes to any form of media (so not just video games), I don't really love any particular genres. For me, what gets me interested is seeing the premise of the particular piece of media, rather than its genre. I tend to gravitate towards things that offer an unusual, creative and intriguing premise, which means that I have a tendency to end up reading/watching/playing a lot of rather niche stuff, though I do also like a fair bit of mainstream stuff as well.

As a result, I also end up enjoying a wide variety of different things.

Edited by vanguard333

Pretty much anything if my play history is something to go on. But if you asked me what sorts of games prompt me to pick them up immediately beyond just being the latest entry of a beloved franchise, then side scrolling beat em ups are a pretty common thing. I called up a friend for a full, day one playthrough of Streets of Rage 4, Kirby Star Allies (we consider kirby games beat em ups), River City Girls, The capcom beat em up collection (though we didn't make it through all of the games in one go), and surely the upcoming Ninja Turtles game. We attempted to play Battletoads (2020) when it came out but my computer was having issues running the game. When we did come back to it, it was worth the wait.

There's also "resident evil clones", that I try to seek out. There's a video series right now where Avalanche Reviews is doing an overview of Resident Evil clones that has been very eye opening. And I'm impressed we live in an era where Silent Hill and Fatal Frame can be called that and it doesn't start a flame war. 

And in recent years I've had a fascination with PS1 era RPGs. Probably the worst-aged games of the genre, but that only makes them more interesting to explore and dissect. 

Edited by Glennstavos

RPGs

MMOs

JRPGs

Turn based

Platformers

FPS

Adventure

Open World

Pretty much just give me a game with a character creator and a class system and I'll be immediately interested haha.

I have the urge to say MOBAs but really the only MOBA I've ever truly enjoyed playing was Vainglory and maybe now also Wild Rift. But my God how much I LOVED Vainglory. 

Off the top of my head: strategy, tactics, turn-based, story-driven, indie, queer, grand strategy, 4X, RPG, walking sim, dating sim, visual novel, TRPG, fantasy, science fiction, retro, management sim, deck builder, art game, non-game.

Stealth - I really like Thief and MGS so any good stealth title will always appeal to me.

Real-Time Tactics - I love the admiringly scare-sub-genres of games that fall under this admittingly vague label, be it sneaking around with a small squad of men like in Commandos/Desperados or every second counts tactical combat like 7,62mm or Marauder:Man of Prey.  

Action-Adventure: Again, a really vague genre but the way it's done in Classic Tomb Raider games/the early 3D Indiana Jones games is something I really wish we saw more of.

i tend to love basically anything that involves RPG elements: JRPGs, normal RPGs, Action RPGs, pure Action games, Hack 'n Slash games, Strategy and Tactical RPGs
i also love Rhythm Games, Metroidvanias and Fighting Games

Usually JRPGS with classic but good settings.
I'll fall for any medieval/steampunk JRPG with a nice character design and an interesting world, such as Xenoblade Chronicles or Fire Emblem.
I also like some modern settings, such as the ones in modern cities or so (Persona 3 and 5, even if I don't particoulary like the japanese setting, or Tokyo Mirage Session #FE), but less the futuristic ones. They have to be really good games if they have a future setting, or I'll just give it a big "Nah" (like I did with Astral;Chain).

Of these, I can say the steampunk style is my favourite, but only if there isn't an exageration of mechanism and so on. Like, as I said before, Xenoblade Chronicles, where the open nature is basically 90% of the world and the technology is limited.

I also like tactical games (even if I suck at 'em), some actions, and that's all. Very limited. Basically 9 games out of 10 I have are JRPGs.

JRPG's certainly, though some can turn me off because they simply look pretty complicated. I also really enjoy Visual Novels, Horror, Point and Click and other type of Mystery games.

Platformer and Metroidvania are my top genres.

Anything Zelda-esque also gets my attention.

I'll look at mascot racers, especially if they have a nice-sized roster, a good selection of vehicles and tracks, items, and lots of cool customization choices for drivers and vehicles.

In theory, Smash-esque fighters would interest me, but they're so few and far between outside Smash itself, and the few we did get either don't interest me as much as Smash (DreamMix TV World Fighters, Turtles Smash Up) or fell drastically short of my expectations (PSASBR). But if they were to make a Smash-esque game with enough fighters, stages, items, etc. that I care about, I could see myself picking it up.

Edited by Lord_Brand