What Type of Remake Do You Think is Best for FE Games?

Preferred Type of Remake  

47 members have voted

1. 1. 1. Which type of video game remake do you prefer, just in general:

• 1-for-1 remake: preserve the original game warts-and-all except updated graphics and maybe a few QoL improvements.
    • Full overhaul: bring everything up to date as it would be if the devs for the original game would've made it if they had had today's tech back then.
    • Something In-Between (elaborate in a reply to this topic).
    • It all depends on the specific game.
  2. 2. 2. Which type of video game remake do you think is best for remaking FE games:

• 1-for-1 remake: preserve the original game warts-and-all except updated graphics and maybe a few QoL improvements.
    • Full overhaul: bring everything up to date as it would be if the devs for the original game would've made it if they had had today's tech back then.
    • Something In-Between (elaborate in a reply to this topic).
    • It all depends on the specific Fire Emblem game.
  3. 3. 3. Which Fire Emblem Remake do you think was the closest to how an FE remake should be:

• Shadow Dragon
    • New Mystery of the Emblem
    • Echoes: Shadows of Valentia
    • None of them
    • Depends on the specific FE game being remade

It depends on the game, but for the remaining FE games that are likely to get remakes, I would prefer them to stay close to the originals mechanically while making some tweaks to the UI and things. IMO experiencing the unique gameplay mechanics and such is one of the primary appeals is re-visiting these games, so keeping most of that intact would be my preference.

This is somewhat of a random thought, but I think a large map ala FE4 would work GREAT for the Valm arc in Awakening. I think it'd be cool to start with rescuing Say'ri (or maybe in a remake's case, they can switch Say'ri and Virion's roles, so we'd be rescuing Virion) and then having options on what to tackle next. Do we head straight to rescue Tiki, or do we take a detour and retake Rosanne? Can we split up our forces and do both? If so, what does that mean? 

What if we had two types of level in the same area? For example, once players breach Walhart's castle, they have to send a smaller force into the castle itself while a larger force stays outside and continues the siege? 

I'd like the above to work with the first and third arcs in Awakening's story as well, but I'm not so sure it could just yet. 

When I ask for a remake, in this case FE4, I want sensible QoL, full 3D cinematics, HD character portraits, a new remastered score, fleshed out dialogue and voice acting.  If that isn't big enough of an "overhaul" then I don't know what is. 

Genealogy without the large maps to simulate the feel of an ACTUAL "Holy War" would not be Genealogy.  It would lose all the gameplay/narrative connections that makes you feel like you're actually playing a game about this war.  No other FE game does this as well as Genealogy does.  Splitting up the maps is not an overhaul, it's a downgrade, nor would it still be FE4 at that point.

People that say "I want a new experience, not the same thing" are either completely missing the point, of have impossible standards for what "new experience" could mean.  Only a very, very small fraction of FE fans would've cared to actually play and complete Gaiden if it had just been slapped on the eshop and left as that.  Shadows of Valentia brought enough new to the table to interest newer fans while not disrespecting Gaiden and removing what makes it so controversial as a game.  Could they have added an Avatar, pair-up, supports with everyone so that everyone can get with anyone?  Could they have given everyone insane growths (they did buff them though, but not to that level), allowed infinite reclassing with no effort required, made the maps more like a nornal FE game and dropped dungeons because no one would care anyway?  Yeah, and that probably would've sold way better.  But they didn't, they stayed faithful and didn't just make it more like other FE games.  They even added a new combat arts system to make SoV even more unique compared to other games including the game it remade.  Honestly, SoV wasn't faithful enough, because it added dumb useless characters like Faye and Berkut for no good reason.  SoV feels like an evolution of Gaiden rather than just Alm and Celica's story shoved into a generic FE game.  They should do this with FE4 as well.  Respect the source material.  If you don't want to, then just make a new game with your ideas.  QoL for FE4 could include: removal of Pursuit, an overhaul of Arena, skipping/vastly sped up Enemy Phase, vastly sped up Player Phase actions, tweaked lovers system so that people don't get accidental pairings, and more.  All of which would drastically change the experience while still keeping what makes FE4...well, FE4.  If this isn't enough for some people, then I'm just glad they aren't game developers, let alone developers at IS.

1 hour ago, Sayyyaka said:

Genealogy without the large maps to simulate the feel of an ACTUAL "Holy War" would not be Genealogy.  It would lose all the gameplay/narrative connections that makes you feel like you're actually playing a game about this war.  No other FE game does this as well as Genealogy does.  Splitting up the maps is not an overhaul, it's a downgrade, nor would it still be FE4 at that point.

So I agree with preferring to keep the large maps around. But why are they essential to "being Genealogy",

1 hour ago, Sayyyaka said:

QoL for FE4 could include: removal of Pursuit

while Pursuit being limited to a skill isn't? It's one of the most distinctive aspects of FE4's combat (along with how they constrained Criticals). And honestly, I hate the idea of a bunch of enemy sword cavalry being able to double my slower units.

16 minutes ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

So I agree with preferring to keep the large maps around. But why are they essential to "being Genealogy",

while Pursuit being limited to a skill isn't? It's one of the most distinctive aspects of FE4's combat (along with how they constrained Criticals). And honestly, I hate the idea of a bunch of enemy sword cavalry being able to double my slower units.

Because Pursuit only really affects combat, and who you're incentivised to pair up for inheritance.  It doesn't affect the narrative, the connected world, the overall gameplay.  Personally, I am not actually in favour of removing Pursuit, because of the reasons I just mentioned it gives a new huge importance to units that do have it compared to those that don't, and I find unit imbalance in FE more interesting because I'm weird I guess (also big FE6 fan if the avatar didn't tip that off).

It is just one thing I would give up if I had to, and I know it's one of those big things people that don't like FE4 take issue with, like the large-scale maps or trading.  And I think of these three it is the least consequential to FE4's gameplay, which is amusing to say since it's still a pretty big deal.  

Perhaps a solution is to add a few more Pursuit rings, but people might just slap those on units that don't need it only to double down on their already good gameplay like Lewyn or Quan.  I agree that everything being able to double would make things quickly very annoying with the huge clusters of cavalry in the game, which would force them to change a lot of other things.  Though personally unit placement is actually the one thing I do want them to change.  I suppose the idea of that was to be like other grand-scale battles and have walls of soldiers ramming into each other but that doesn't excuse them all being blocks instead of other unique formations.

On 5/2/2021 at 2:55 AM, Interdimensional Observer said:
  •  
  • The stories of Genealogy, Thracia, and Binding need to move away from monologues, towards a limited but effective coterie of important characters chatting amongst each other.
  • Genealogy and Thracia need supports to flesh out the rest of the cast, and perhaps more writing somehow.
  • Binding already has supports, but I think its characterization needs another polishing. Already-existing nuggets like IgrenexAstolfo aren't enough I'd say.
  • Villains in all the games need to get more scenes and nuance as well.
  • The world-building needs more everything.
  • And everything needs better presentation.
  • In short- more, more, and more writing!

Also, a FE6 remake needs more paired endings, I can't be the only one who thinks this

Another random thing that a remake could do - introduce manga or card game exclusive characters. A remake of Three Houses should definitely include Poe, and I'd love to see Al, Gant, and Tiena in an FE 6 remake. Niamh, Alice, and Valjean should also make an appearance in a game, but that may be more difficult. 

10 hours ago, Use the Falchion said:

Another random thing that a remake could do - introduce manga or card game exclusive characters. A remake of Three Houses should definitely include Poe, and I'd love to see Al, Gant, and Tiena in an FE 6 remake. Niamh, Alice, and Valjean should also make an appearance in a game, but that may be more difficult. 

Shadows of Valentia did do that. So yeah, not impossible at all.

• 2 weeks later...

i prefer remake to be a complete overhaul. but how much they need to tinker with the original material is up to the original game i guess.

On 5/14/2021 at 10:21 PM, ARMADS!!! said:

Also, a FE6 remake needs more paired endings, I can't be the only one who thinks this

more like everyone thinks like that. especially since the game already have some obvious pairing and love interest evident from the content of their support