DLC Costumes for characters: Yes, no?

Xenomata

"What is a DLC Costume?"

Well, you give the company money, but instead of getting a fighter/stage/music you just get a costume for a character. I think most popular modern fighting game have some form of DLC costumes in them, and the Street Fighter series coming to mind immediately. It'd be like if Mario's Builder outfit cost $.50 before you could use it.

Why I'm here today: I do like the idea of DLC costumes. People modding the game to give characters different costumes was cool to watch (also weird sometimes... why does Ganondorf need to be replaced with Billy Mays is a question I don't think will ever be answered sanely), but A. Nintendo has made their stance on modding very clear, and B. I'm pretty sure only you could see such modding anyway, so no going online and showing people how to really get the tough stains out.
So, would you like the idea of Nintendo putting out DLC costumes for the characters (as long as it was reasonably priced)? And what kind of costumes would you want if so? No alternate colors here, we're talking things like "Mario in his Cat suit" or "Zelda as she appeared in BotW," maybe replacing a character with a different appearance like "Marth replaced with another Lord from the Fire Emblem games" ala Bowser Jr. or Olimar, or even something like "Shulk wearing a giant Riki cosplay." All examples by the way, I'm not sure how I'd feel about Shulk in a giant Nopon outfit...

I'd be all for it. Here's a list of costumes I'd suggest:

Spoiler
  • Mario
    • Fire (why did they get rid of this one!?)
    • Referee
    • Sunshine Savior
    • Shirt & Shades
    • All-Star Tuxedo
    • Knight Armor
    • Pirate
    • Tennis Ace
  • Donkey Kong
    • Arcade Classic
    • Funky Mode
    • Swanky Swag
  • Link
    • Hero of Time
    • Soldier Set
    • Stealth Set
    • Zora Set
    • Desert Voe Set
    • Snowquill Set
    • Ancient Set
  • Fox
    • Adventures Fox
    • Assault Fox
  • Pikachu
    • Rescue Team Bandana
    • Rock Star
    • Belle
    • Pop Star
    • Ph.D.
  • Luigi
    • Referweegee
    • Gooigi
    • Mummigi
    • The Green Knight
    • Groovigi
    • The Amazing Luigi
    • Paleontoluigist
    • Cap'n Weegee
  • Peach
    • Sunshine Peach
    • Bridal Gown
    • Golfer
    • Biker
    • Tennis Ace
  • Daisy
    • Golfer
    • Biker
    • Tennis Ace
  • Zelda
    • Princess of Legend
    • Princess of Oracles
    • Princess of the Sky
    • Gown of the Goddess
    • Gerudo Vai
  • Sheik
    • Impa
  • Ganondorf
    • Phantom Ganondorf
  • Lucina
    • Great Lord
    • Cavalier
    • Paladin
    • Great Knight
    • Archer
    • Sniper
    • Bow Knight
    • Branded Yukata
  • Chrom
    • Great Lord
    • Cavalier
    • Paladin
    • Great Knight
    • Archer
    • Sniper
    • Bow Knight
    • Branded Swimsuit
  • Zero Suit Samus
    • Super Zero Suit
  • Wario
    • Tennis Ace
  • Toon Link
    • Pajamas
    • Train Conductor
  • Sonic
    • Hero of Lost Worlds
  • Rosalina & Luma
    • Biker
    • Tennis Ace
  • Robin
    • Grandmaster
    • Mage
    • Sage
    • Dark Mage
    • Sorcerer
  • Corrin
    • Nohr Noble
    • Hoshido Noble

Edited by Lord_Brand

I think I have some ideal colored costumes that could work as DLC. But, I'm still thinking of the others that could work as a DLC Outfit and Colors. I got what I thought of it so far:

Mario:

1. Fire Mario
  2. Sunshine Alt.

Link:

1. Classic Zelda II Atire (with Cap)

Yoshi:

1. Black Color Yoshi

Pikachu:

1. Green Hat from Super Smash Bros. Melee
  2. Choice Brand from Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS / Wii U

Luigi:

1. Dr. Luigi Alt.

Lucina:

1. Say'ri Color
  2. Mariabelle Color
  3. Panne Color
  4. Sully Color
  5. Olivia Color

Roy:

1. Seliph Color

Chrom:

1. Gaius Color
  2. Ricken Color
  3. Gregor Color
  4. Inigo Color

Olimar/Alph:

1. Olimar - Louie Color

Ike:

1. Alm Color

Bower Jr./Koopalings

1. Boom Boom as an Alt.
  2. Pom Pom as an Alt.

Ryu:

1. His DLC Costume from Street Fighter V

Ken:

1. His atire from Street Fighter V

Hero:

1. Eleven - Color Blue based off from DQ Hero II
  2. Arusu - Color Brown and Purple based off from DQ Hero XI
  3. Solo - Color Light Orange with Turqouise Shirt with Blue Hair based off from DQ Hero XI
  4. Eight - Color Green based off from DQ Hero VII

Terry:

1. His Garou outfit
  2. His Outfit with the Sleeves from The King of Fighter XIV

Byleth:

1. Male - Nemesis Color
  2. Female - Rhea Color
Edited by King Marth 64

i'd gladly buy one or more costume packs, but i mean actual costumes, not just different palettes

In theory, I wouldn't be opposed. 

In practice, oftentimes, costumes are sold individually at prices far in excess of what they should be. Making them DLC bloat that gouges one's wallet. Hence, they are paid DLC done poorly. I am of the mind costumes should be sold as a bundle.

Whether it is best to do DLC if it is done badly, though the content itself be okay, I am not certain.

Heck yeah. Smash has always been about the extra details. Give us some some more costumes. And echo fighters while they're at it. When they announced the concept of echo fighters I remember thinking: yeah, that's going to be a LOT of DLC right there.

It will always be odd to me that they do Mii Costumes but not costumes for characters that are actually popular. Listen, I AM the core audience for mii outfits. I've spent many nights rolling up on people with my strange Miis online. But even I think that effort ought to be spent elsewhere. It even seems like the developers aren't impressed with their work either. Go onto the official smash bros site and try to find info on dlc mii outfits. You can't. Even the Mii fighter's character page just has screenshots of them in default outfits, none of the stuff that's included in the base game. And what's included in the base game is generally pretty good! It would have been enough to satisfy me up to this point at least. My most played outfits are the Toad and Chrom ones.

The best model for DLC outfits right now in the world of fighting games has got to be Tekken 7. Bandai Namco, who works on Smash Bros has a lot to learn from...Bandai Namco who works on Tekken. In that game, you have total control over your character's clothing and accessories. As well as some curated costumes suited to that particular character. It's all free too. Well, you buy it with the game's version of fight money but you earn that from any of the modes. I don't even think there's an option to spend real money unlocking cosmetics. I think this system is perfect for Smash because cosmetics would make for a compelling unlockable. Moreso than Spirits anyway. Sakurai cares so much about the experience of unlocking things that he made us unlock THIS game's entire base roster. 

No. I ain't paying money for anything that doesn't come with a music track, and we already have enough toxicity flying around every time a new fighter is announced with everyone whining about how it wasn't X, Y, Z, or Waluigi, I'm really not interested in adding another dimension of that garbage to the discussion around this game.

4 hours ago, Glennstavos said:

Heck yeah. Smash has always been about the extra details. Give us some some more costumes. And echo fighters while they're at it. When they announced the concept of echo fighters I remember thinking: yeah, that's going to be a LOT of DLC right there.

It will always be odd to me that they do Mii Costumes but not costumes for characters that are actually popular. Listen, I AM the core audience for mii outfits. I've spent many nights rolling up on people with my strange Miis online. But even I think that effort ought to be spent elsewhere. It even seems like the developers aren't impressed with their work either. Go onto the official smash bros site and try to find info on dlc mii outfits. You can't. Even the Mii fighter's character page just has screenshots of them in default outfits, none of the stuff that's included in the base game. And what's included in the base game is generally pretty good! It would have been enough to satisfy me up to this point at least. My most played outfits are the Toad and Chrom ones.

The best model for DLC outfits right now in the world of fighting games has got to be Tekken 7. Bandai Namco, who works on Smash Bros has a lot to learn from...Bandai Namco who works on Tekken. In that game, you have total control over your character's clothing and accessories. As well as some curated costumes suited to that particular character. It's all free too. Well, you buy it with the game's version of fight money but you earn that from any of the modes. I don't even think there's an option to spend real money unlocking cosmetics. I think this system is perfect for Smash because cosmetics would make for a compelling unlockable. Moreso than Spirits anyway. Sakurai cares so much about the experience of unlocking things that he made us unlock THIS game's entire base roster. 

I'd be cool with that too. Customizable clothing, weapons, colors, etc. I'm telling you folks, Smash 6 is going to be all about customization, whether as flexible as the custom fighter system I've suggested before or at least more flexibility in costumes, colors, specials, etc. We might lose Mii Fighters, but that's a small price to pay for customizable Link, Zelda, etc.

40 minutes ago, Lord_Brand said:

I'm telling you folks, Smash 6 is going to be all about customization, whether as flexible as the custom fighter system I've suggested before or at least more flexibility in costumes, colors, specials, etc.

Let me guess: Your uncle works at Nintendo, right? That would be the only way that you could "know" this for certain. Anyway, I don't believe this for a minute, so I'll take thing with a dump truck worth's of salt.

Edited by NinjaMonkey

54 minutes ago, NinjaMonkey said:

Let me guess: Your uncle works at Nintendo, right? That would be the only way that you could "know" this for certain. Anyway, I don't believe this for a minute, so I'll take thing with a dump truck worth's of salt.

I'm not claiming to literally know that Smash 6 will for a fact be more customization-heavy than ever, I'm projecting based on trends I'm seeing in Smash up to this point not to mention speaking from a point of "I think this is cool and they'll totally do this because they're smarter than I am".

You know, you're a really rude person. And why, may I ask? What do you gain from being so nasty to others? At least I'm sharing ideas that can be potentially exciting to others. I'm trying to have fun and invite other people to have fun with me. I'm trying to share my excitement and love for the game with others. All you're doing is trying to ruin other people's fun, and you're going to gain nothing out of it. I've dealt with people like you before, on other forums. You're obviously not happy with something in your life, and you decide to take it out on others in the one place where anyone will see it let alone care enough to read it. You don't care if you ruin other people's good time, in fact you probably enjoy making other people as miserable as you are.

And that is...just sad. You know, at first I was angry at you, but now I actually pity you. I don't ever want to be so miserable that I choose to stamp on other people's fun because I have no ideas of my own to offer. Whatever is wrong in your life that makes you act like this, I hope your life gets better and you start being nicer to others. I really do.

1 hour ago, Lord_Brand said:

I'm not claiming to literally know that Smash 6 will for a fact be more customization-heavy than ever, I'm projecting based on trends I'm seeing in Smash up to this point not to mention speaking from a point of "I think this is cool and they'll totally do this because they're smarter than I am".

You know, you're a really rude person. And why, may I ask? What do you gain from being so nasty to others? At least I'm sharing ideas that can be potentially exciting to others. I'm trying to have fun and invite other people to have fun with me. I'm trying to share my excitement and love for the game with others. All you're doing is trying to ruin other people's fun, and you're going to gain nothing out of it. I've dealt with people like you before, on other forums. You're obviously not happy with something in your life, and you decide to take it out on others in the one place where anyone will see it let alone care enough to read it. You don't care if you ruin other people's good time, in fact you probably enjoy making other people as miserable as you are.

And that is...just sad. You know, at first I was angry at you, but now I actually pity you. I don't ever want to be so miserable that I choose to stamp on other people's fun because I have no ideas of my own to offer. Whatever is wrong in your life that makes you act like this, I hope your life gets better and you start being nicer to others. I really do.

Could you please not make a fight of this? @NinjaMonkey almost certainly interpreted your original comment as an assertion of fact, rather than expectation or desire. Speculation is fine, but it would be irresponsible to affirmatively assert something to be coming, without evidence. You shouldn't construct an icon of what sort of person they are, based on them calling you out over one thing. Their comment may have been needlessly negative, but then you paid it back sevenfold.

Anyway: I was gonna say No to DLC Costumes, because all Smash DLC thus far has been material, rather than aesthetic. Then I remembered that Mii Costumes exist. So DLC Costumes are in the same vein as that. I wouldn't buy them, but I guess I wouldn't mind them either.

1 hour ago, Lord_Brand said:

At least I'm sharing ideas that can be potentially exciting to others.

And can be easily monetised. Microtransactions are a cancer of the current gaming industry, and I don't want to see them in Smash - the current model is bad enough!

Edited by NinjaMonkey

3 hours ago, SoulWeaver said:

No. I ain't paying money for anything that doesn't come with a music track, and we already have enough toxicity flying around every time a new fighter is announced with everyone whining about how it wasn't X, Y, Z, or Waluigi, I'm really not interested in adding another dimension of that garbage to the discussion around this game.

Well those sorts of fans will always be there. Can't blame the existence of those guys on the media itself. But i feel like the toxicity around character reveals is due in part to the fact that we only get characters as DLC, The other stuff they might give us: stages, music, and even most of the mii outfits, are tied directly to that single character reveal. If there was more aimed at more people, maybe less salt? Kind of like how in a nintendo direct people often say "that was boring but ______got a new trailer so that was cool". A single DLC outfit could be that saving grace when fortnite comes to smash.

10 hours ago, Lord_Brand said:

You know, you're a really rude person. And why, may I ask? What do you gain from being so nasty to others?

I second this, but he never replies to any of these cause he has no rebuttle whatsoever, just likes putting others down to make himself look better, obviously. I.E, don't waste your breath.

9 hours ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

Could you please not make a fight of this? @NinjaMonkey almost certainly interpreted your original comment as an assertion of fact, rather than expectation or desire. Speculation is fine, but it would be irresponsible to affirmatively assert something to be coming, without evidence. You shouldn't construct an icon of what sort of person they are, based on them calling you out over one thing. Their comment may have been needlessly negative, but then you paid it back sevenfold.

Anyway: I was gonna say No to DLC Costumes, because all Smash DLC thus far has been material, rather than aesthetic. Then I remembered that Mii Costumes exist. So DLC Costumes are in the same vein as that. I wouldn't buy them, but I guess I wouldn't mind them either.

uh... have you seen him in pretty much any other topic he posts in? It's almost always rude or negative, that's not assuming either, go and look for yourself if you don't believe it. Lord Brand is definitely right on this one, sorry. Assuming or not, he should start acting more polite towards others.

Anyways: I was always saying that paying for outfits would be great, so i'm 100% on board with this.

Edited by lightcosmo

How would we feel about original costumes? As in, costumes original to Smash?

What if they had 64, Melee, Brawl, and Smash 4 skins? Shoot, what if they did 64-style skins for every fighter?

Edited by Lord_Brand

15 hours ago, Glennstavos said:

Well those sorts of fans will always be there. Can't blame the existence of those guys on the media itself. But i feel like the toxicity around character reveals is due in part to the fact that we only get characters as DLC, The other stuff they might give us: stages, music, and even most of the mii outfits, are tied directly to that single character reveal. If there was more aimed at more people, maybe less salt? Kind of like how in a nintendo direct people often say "that was boring but ______got a new trailer so that was cool". A single DLC outfit could be that saving grace when fortnite comes to smash.

Hm...I suppose you have a point, though I'll still reiterate the opening of my own statement:

19 hours ago, SoulWeaver said:

I ain't paying money for anything that doesn't come with a music track

Mii costumes honestly don't feel worth the 75 cents they cost without a music track to go with them, especially as only one person I play with even appreciates that Mii Fighters exist in the first place. I've only picked up two DLC fighters to this point, Joker because my brother enjoys playing him and Terry, not only because I like seeing other fighting games get support from Smash, but also holy cow, that's an entire game OST's worth of music for like $6-7 plus the fighter and stage, easily the biggest bang for your buck here.

Admittedly this is my personal opinion, so I suppose it could be different for the rest of you.