Starting an FE4 sub run soon, any word of advice to prevent pairings from happening ?

Eizzah

Any advice for a sub run ? To prevent Pairings in Gen 1, what items to inherit Leif/Altena and Seliph, and how to improve the scrub squad that are Substitutes ?

Kill every last one of them.

...No, I'm serious. Unless you're going to play fast, the best way to prevent pairings is to just let them happen and then murder half the cast at the end of chapter 5. Sigurd, the Tyrfing and perhaps a healer just in case things go awry are all that you need to kill Reptor, and his entire entourage disappears with him. Let everyone else eat meteors.

As for Leif and Altena, Leif will inherit Ethlyn's swords, while Altena will inherit Quan's lances. Seliph will inherit Sigurd's inventory other than the Tyrfing.

Edited by Saint Rubenio

As Saint Rubenio says, the best way is to kill them all (or just 1 gender) just have them empty their inventories and walk into the desert and they go down hard. But dont worry, as long as you dont put male and female units next to each other too much and avoid the big love boosting conversations (especially Lewyns). You can still do some of the early convos, like Lex/Ayra and Dew/Lachesis since these characters have slow Love Growth and wont be next to each other very often. Also once you kill Chagall in ch 3 seize Orgahill as fast as you can, because Finn has ridiculous love growth with Taillte and Brigid. 

As for inheritance, it depends on whether or not you want to do a lot of inheritance (id reccommend against this, as it can make the run triflingly easy. For my run, I gave Seliph a Steel Sword and a Res ring. Leif got the light brand, an iron blade and a defense ring. Altena got Gae Bolg (obviously) a Javelin and a Return Band, and Finn got his Brave Lance, a Javelin and a Speed Ring. 

If you want to do lots of inheritance for some reason just give Seliph every Sword as well as Paragon Band and Leg Ring, Leif every other ring/band, Finn every lance you get up to that point and Altena will have Gae Bolg. Do this and the game becomes so easy its not even fun (just like every fe 4 run where you use the child units. 

Also, for chapter 7 theres a common glitch (because fe4) where Seliph and Daisy become lovers in 2 turns (it gives Daisy, Julia's base love of 490) which causes you to miss the Brave Sword so make sure you reset the game on that map. 

The base cast (don't call them substitutes reeeee) don't need improving. They have their own special events that make them strong enough to beat the gane while still keeping it challenging. 

Edited by Pengaius

Also while thinking to myself I remembered
Don't love points only accumulate if the units are actually deployed out of the castle ?
So if I leave some units inside it should be fine right ? (like for example leaving Lewyn or Sylvia inside to avoid them falling in love etc)
Cuz like Sigurd, Quan, Ethlyn (and Finn as well for a good unit in gen 2) can very well just destroy all of gen 1, can't they ?
I'll try to get Seliph the Brave Sword this time, because in my 1st run I actually missed it lul (Ayra loved Noish a bit too soon lol)
Anyways thx for the advice 🙂

10 hours ago, Eizzah said:

Any advice for a sub run ? To prevent Pairings in Gen 1

the easiest way to get 2nd gen alternatives, as mentioned before, would be to let the 1st gen units die. that can be achieved in chapter 5 by sending them in the desert in order to get nuked by mages.

you might want to do that before approaching the hill that leads to Reptor's army, because once you do, the mages placed around the castle will all turn neutral, and i can't remember at the moment if those in the desert will turn neutral as well. better safe than sorry, but if you use save files/states too, you should be able to find out without the risk to restart the entire chapter.

what items to inherit Leif/Altena and Seliph

Altena will become available very late in the game, so she shouldn't be taking any priority over Seliph and Leif. she will use mainly lances though, so a Silver spear and a Javelin should be more than enough as starting gear inherited from Quan.

the Elite ring could go to Seliph first just to get a headstart, and then be switched to Leif once Seliph gets to promotion level(20). that way you'll be able to seize castles faster, and get a broken unit(Master knight) earlier.

any other "default" gear aquired through 1st gen should be more than enough for both Seliph and Leif(especially that Silver sword from Sigurd, if you manage to get 50 kills on it), although giving a magic sword like the Thunder or the Wind one to Sigurd/Seliph will be helpful for countering ranged attacks and getting some extra exp.

Leif can already start off with a Light brand from her mother, and the only things that can eventually improve his performance will be rings such as Power and/or Skill.

and how to improve the scrub squad that are Substitutes ?

events. lots of them.

also, doing arenas everytime a new chapter starts, even if you don't manage to complete all stages.

everything else depends mostly on gear and specific builds, such as Barrier sword+Barrier ring for example(+12 Resistance in total). you should also be able to get a Defender sword+Shield ring combo(+12 Defence) in 1st gen, that can eventually be assigned to Sigurd/Seliph and then sold/traded to other units.

2 hours ago, Eizzah said:

So if I leave some units inside it should be fine right ? (like for example leaving Lewyn or Sylvia inside to avoid them falling in love etc)

I would still use Sylvia - a Dancer can help you finish maps in fewer turns, for fewer love points overall. But don't let her do any of her conversations.

2 hours ago, 𝙵ᴇɴʀᴇɪʀ said:

Leif can already start off with a Light brand from her mother, and the only things that can eventually improve his performance will be rings such as Power and/or Skill.

Leif will definitely want the Pursuit Band as well. Particularly in a subs run.

As for Altenna, I like giving her a Javelin, so she'll attack at range before I recruit her.

8 hours ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

I would still use Sylvia - a Dancer can help you finish maps in fewer turns, for fewer love points overall. But don't let her do any of her conversations.

Yeah it was just an example, like we do agree that units staying in the castle don't accumulate love points, right

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/5/2021 at 4:54 AM, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

In which case it's wrong. Characters get their baseline love growth even if they're in the castle. I went for an all-subs run on my first run, leaving Ayra in the castle for literally all of it, and I killed every other woman in C5, but Ayra still ended up hitched with Midir by the end of C5. So that was a subs + Larcei/Scáthach run instead.

38 minutes ago, Seafarer said:

In which case it's wrong. Characters get their baseline love growth even if they're in the castle. I went for an all-subs run on my first run, leaving Ayra in the castle for literally all of it, and I killed every other woman in C5, but Ayra still ended up hitched with Midir by the end of C5. So that was a subs + Larcei/Scáthach run instead.

Okay, thanks for the insight. I didn't have firsthand knowledge, and was just relaying the best source I was aware of.

@Eizzah apparently leaving them in the castle doesn't prevent love growths. Go figure.

• 4 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Eizzah said:

Sub Run is way in progress, I succeeded at having all subs !
Here are the stats of the end of gen 1 !Gen1Subs1.thumb.png.b5273ee50fd86d55930cf90a02f60b79.pngGen1Subs2.thumb.png.97199c5afdd2a3a18934bfe4d9e26d4d.png

Damn, a lot of richie riches in here. Unfortunate that some of the harder-to-raise units (Arden, Azel, Dew, Raquesis, Tiltyu) missed out on promotion.

Anyway, congratulations on getting to the end of chapter 5 with no pairings! I'm replaying Genealogy, and came into my own achievement - getting Finn paired with Tiltyu. I'm pretty keen on seeing how the Freege babies turn out. Also how the sword twins are, with Papa Arden.

And the sub run is beaten !
Here have some stats 😄

Definitely forced me to play fast in gen 1 and be more careful in gen 2 + planning the rings more which was very fun

Gen2Subs1.thumb.png.adeabed3f47be4aaeb064d87cce3af66.pngGen2Subs2.thumb.png.52c241a52c13f742481c8dcf1247cd6a.png