Do i need to play these Games?

--ACE--

Hey guys, here's the deal, I'm new to the Fire Emblem franchise and I started playing Sacred Stones and I want to continue and play several games in the franchise, but I have no interest in NES and Super Nintendo games, I can still consider me a fan of Fire Emblem without playing them? I want to play GBA, Gamecube, WII, DS, 3DS and Switch, literally all with the exception of NES and SNES. I saw that there are remakes of these from Nes and Snes, are they faithful to the original? Are there any where the original is better than the remake? I would also like a list of the Remakes out there and their original versions. (I tried to search the internet but I was all confused)

24 minutes ago, Redpack007 said:

I can still consider me a fan of Fire Emblem without playing them?

...I mean, if you enjoy playing FE, that makes you a fan. A lot of people don't like the games of that era, you wouldn't be an outcast for it.

30 minutes ago, Redpack007 said:

I would also like a list of the Remakes out there and their original versions.

Okay, so:

• FE1, AKA Shadow Dragon and the Blade of Light was the first FE game.
  • FE3, AKA Mystery of the Emblem had two books: One of them was a remake of the original FE1, the other was its own new story.
  • FE11 AKA Shadow Dragon is a remake of FE1.
  • FE12 AKA New Mystery of the Emblem Heroes of Light and Shadow, (Most people just call it New Mystery) is a remake of Book 2 of FE3.
  • There's also FE2, (titled Gaiden) and its remake, Echoes: Shadows of Valentia. For this one, there's no real reason to go back to the original unless you can't play the remake or enjoyed it a lot and want to see its roots.
25 minutes ago, Redpack007 said:

I saw that there are remakes of these from Nes and Snes, are they faithful to the original? Are there any where the original is better than the remake?

The DS remakes are kind of divisive. Some people consider old Mystery of the Emblem (FE3) to be the superior version of the original FE, but others prefer the DS version. As for Books 2 of FE3... Well, most people consider the DS remake to have some of the best gameplay in the franchise, but it also has an avatar that most people despise.

The DS version of both games has the advantage of reclassing, playable generics, forging, more modern graphics, enemy phase skip, etc. The SNES version of them has the advantage of having cutting a few weak maps from the original FE1 and not having some odd balance changes implemented*.

*This only applies to book 1 and FE11.

Apologies that I can't really give a conclusive answer, but I'd just play whichever appeals to you more.

Overall, all three remakes are better than the original games, with FE11 versus FE1 being the most drastic improvement. I'd still highly recommend playing FE4 at least once, mostly for its story, but Thracia... I only really recommend Thracia for anyone who's willing to put up with a lot of bullshit in order to experience weird and exotic challenges. May I ask why you categorically don't want to play Super Nintendo games though? Super Nintendo games and GBA games are pretty dang similar in terms of capabilities and graphics, so I'm curious why one feels off limits but not the other.

You really don't need to play the original NES/SNES games, they all have remakes except FE4 and FE5 but those games are pretty difficult so I don't think you should be playing them right now.

Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon is a remake of the very first game, considered a pretty good game, has perhaps the best gameplay in the series

Fire Emblem: Mystery of The Emblem is a remake of the first game but it also has a second part but that second part also has a remaster so there really isn't a point to playing it

Fire Emblem: New Mystery of The Emblem is a remake of Book 2 of Mystery of The Emblem and almost has the exact type of gameplay that Shadow Dragon has except they shoehorned an avatar that almost everyone in the community despises because he/she is basically a Mary Sue/Gary Stu

Fire Emblem: Shadows of Valentia is a remake of the second game in the series and has pretty good gameplay, it revamps the story a little bit and modernizes the gameplay for the newer Fire Emblem fans, I don't recommend playing the original at all because it has the worst gameplay in the series which is understandable because it's a Famicom game

Oh and you kinda need to find a Translation patch for New Mystery and FE6 because they didn't officially localize them.

Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon for the DS (FE 11) is a remake of the first game, Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon and the Blade of Light for the NES.

Fire Emblem: New Mystery of the Emblem for the DS (FE 12) is a remake of book 2 of Fire Emblem: Mystery of the Emblem for the SNES (FE 3). (FE 3 is divided into 2 books, the first book is basically just the first game and the second book is a sequel). Some people actually prefer the original over the remake, others prefer the remake.

Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia for the 3DS (FE 15) is a remake of Fire Emblem Gaiden for the NES (FE 2). The remake is superior over the original in every way.

Fire Emblem: Genealogy of the Holy War (FE 4) and Fire Emblem: Thracia 776 (FE 5), both for the SNES do not have remakes yet. I think you should try them out, especially FE 4 to experience the story. FE 5 is considered to be one of the hardest games though, especially for newer players.

FE's 1-6 (FE 6 is the first GBA game) and FE 12 are not released outside of Japan so you would need a translation patch in order to play them in English. 

There's no need to play them, as three of them have remakes, and the other two (which don't have remakes, at least not yet) have quirks that make them (very) hard to play.

3 hours ago, Redpack007 said:

Hey guys, here's the deal, I'm new to the Fire Emblem franchise and I started playing Sacred Stones and I want to continue and play several games in the franchise, but I have no interest in NES and Super Nintendo games, I can still consider me a fan of Fire Emblem without playing them? I want to play GBA, Gamecube, WII, DS, 3DS and Switch, literally all with the exception of NES and SNES. I saw that there are remakes of these from Nes and Snes, are they faithful to the original? Are there any where the original is better than the remake? I would also like a list of the Remakes out there and their original versions. (I tried to search the internet but I was all confused)

in terms of story and content, Fire Emblem is pretty much like other franchises such as Final Fantasy, where each title has its own plot, features and common concepts such as iconic names shared between titles, with the exception of few sequels/remakes that take place in the same world.

it's not like you absolutely need to play every game. i've always considered these kind of games pretty much like medieval-fantasy inspired books: if you want to read them, you just do it, otherwise you don't.

in terms of overall quality and difficulty, i'd suggest starting with GBA titles first and move forward up to the latest ones.

NES/SNES titles are kind of...archaic, so to say, and not very forgiving(Gaiden and especially Thracia 776 can potentially lead to vast amounts of frustration, so consider playing them at your own risk). or at least, not until you manage to understand how to properly play them. once you do, they can eventually become fun and enjoyable, but then again it's all subjective, and it mainly depends on the title played.

Mystery of the Emblem and Genealogy both play pretty much like GBA titles despite being from the SNES era, so i'd suggest giving them at least a try eventually, just to see how it goes.

You definitely don't need to play the early ones to call yourself a fan. I'm here all the time, but I haven't beaten any of the first three games. Personally I'd recommend Genealogy at some point - it's a weird time, but an enjoyable one, with impressive plot and worldbuilding.

If you're liking Sacred Stones, though, there are a few places I could suggest next. Awakening, for instance, borrows a lot of design cues from FE8. Or you could go backwards to FE7 (i.e. "Fire Emblem", "Blazing Blade"), which is very close mechanically to FE8. And if you're instead interested in a modern take on how the series started, Shadow Dragon could be for you.

A big thank you to everyone who commented, I was thinking that I would be out of date if I didn't play these, but now I see that I just need to treat the Fire Emblem franchise the same way I treat the Final Fantasy franchise! They are titles completely separate from each other, there are FF6, FF4, FF7 and all of these have their communities, fans, Haters, and it is not necessary to play previous titles to know things, only when they have other games in the same universe, like FF7 Crisis Core or FF4 After Years, or even Remakes like FF7Remake or FF4DS.

Am i right?

pretty much, with the difference that FE has always been more oriented towards anime in terms of visuals and design concepts, while FF has some titles that might have way more realistic, serious and darker tones.

then there's always the icon stuff that makes an appearence in different titles, in a way or another. for example: Anna in FE, or Biggs and Wedge in FF.

4 hours ago, Redpack007 said:

They are titles completely separate from each other, there are FF6, FF4, FF7 and all of these have their communities, fans, Haters, and it is not necessary to play previous titles to know things, only when they have other games in the same universe, like FF7 Crisis Core or FF4 After Years, or even Remakes like FF7Remake or FF4DS.

Am i right?

Basically, although the ones set in the same universe tend to be numbered sequels as well. Just for reference the ones that have clear connections to each other are: FE7 is a prequel to FE6, FE10 is a direct sequel to FE9, FE5 is a midquel to FE4, and FE3/12 is a direct sequel to FE1/11 and FE2/15 is a side story set on a nearby continent (but does share some minor character) with FE13 set in the same universe but thousands of years after with events spanning both continents. Even then, the only sets I would worry about playing in order are FE5 after FE4, as the opening of FE5 has some spoilers for FE4, and FE10 after FE9, as their stories are a little more closely tied together than the others.

@Redpack007 it's not loke you NEED to play certain games in order to label yourself as a Fire Emblem fan, just play the ones you feel like playing

about the SNES games, i strongly suggest you to play them, because they're very unique, but it must be said that Genealogy and Thracia are generally either loved or hated, it's really hard to find someone who doesn't thing strongly about them on either sides

You're only a Fire Emblem fan if the Fire Emblem Counsel says so. And they haven't awarded anyone FE Fan status whom hasn't played all the FE games in years. So yeah I'm afraid if you want to be a TRUE FAN then you're going to have to buckle down and play through every single Fire Emblem game. That's just what it takes these days.

Thanks for all the info guys, but it won't will be necessary more replies, I already understood what to do, who wants to know just see my previous post on this thread.

• 2 weeks later...

As others have said and as you now seem to understand you can absolutely be a fan and not play these games.

I just want to note, however, the common misconception that the early games are hard or difficult to get into is wrong.  FE4 for instance is an extremely casual experience that even lets you save every turn and FE3 is pretty simple abd straightforward.  Neither are difficult in the least.  They lack some of the QoL/UI improvements of even the GBA games but are fairly easy and imo are still plenty playable for someone that's played Sacred Stones.  FE5 can be rough to get into for someone new but the Lil' Manster patch includes dialogue that hints you better on the ambiguous parts of the game, and if you've beaten FE3 and FE4 at this point then I doubt you'll have trouble with it.  As has been said, you definitely don't have to play them, but you should still give them a shot as they are some of the best FE experiences you can have in my opinion. 🙂

14 hours ago, Sayyyaka said:

As others have said and as you now seem to understand you can absolutely be a fan and not play these games.

I just want to note, however, the common misconception that the early games are hard or difficult to get into is wrong.  FE4 for instance is an extremely casual experience that even lets you save every turn and FE3 is pretty simple abd straightforward.  Neither are difficult in the least.  They lack some of the QoL/UI improvements of even the GBA games but are fairly easy and imo are still plenty playable for someone that's played Sacred Stones.  FE5 can be rough to get into for someone new but the Lil' Manster patch includes dialogue that hints you better on the ambiguous parts of the game, and if you've beaten FE3 and FE4 at this point then I doubt you'll have trouble with it.  As has been said, you definitely don't have to play them, but you should still give them a shot as they are some of the best FE experiences you can have in my opinion. 🙂

Thanks for the info, now i'm interested in playing them! i will give it a shot 😄