Manakete lifepan/transform

Hasechi

I wonder if a child's parent are a human & a dragon/manakete. Is there a chance that the child have lifepan like a human, and chance not to able to transform to dragon? Same question for a child born from a beast & a manakete

Every instance of half-manakete half-human examples in the series so far has had their lifespan fall at an in-between point, from what I recall. As for not transforming, well, Sophia does not. But it's not stated if she has a dragonstone or not to begin with. We know from Gotoh and Xane that a Manakete can just choose not to use their dragonstone, so a half-manakete can just do the same.

4 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Every instance of half-manakete half-human examples in the series so far has had their lifespan fall at an in-between point, from what I recall. As for not transforming, well, Sophia does not. But it's not stated if she has a dragonstone or not to begin with. We know from Gotoh and Xane that a Manakete can just choose not to use their dragonstone, so a half-manakete can just do the same.

Sophia doesn't, but

Spoiler

Nils and Ninian do, despite being half-human.

5 minutes ago, Alastor15243 said:

Sophia doesn't, but

Hide contents

Nils and Ninian do, despite being half-human.

I stated that. What I mean is that we don't know if Sophia has one but just doesn't uses it, or she doesn't in the first place.

Also, Nils and Ninian seems to have just one dragonstone which they share between them. Considering they can transfer power from one to the other, it seems they simply poured all their power into one.

Not to mention, Nils and Ninian were born before the Endless Winter, while Sophia was born after, so maybe that factors on the fact Sophia doesn't seem to have a dragonstone of her own.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

Looking at Awakening, for instance:

Nah is half-manakete, half-human in all potential pairings, and she seems to have aged at roughly the same rate as the rest of the children. Hell, she looks older than her mother-to-be, despite being a thousand years younger. But it's possible that her growth rate will slow significantly post-adolescence, giving her a longer life than her fully-human peers.

Yarne also looks on-par with other child units. But at least in his case, he's visibly younger than his mother. Panne doesn't really give any clues about how long she's been around, so I can't speak on the relationship between taguel and human lifespans.

Morgan can either be half-Manakete or half-Taguel, depending on player choices. This has no effect on their apparent age, and an unclear impact on their expected lifespan. I'm gonna take a shot in the dark, and say that IS didn't want to think too much about lifespans or aging, outside of "manaketes old".

Just gonna throw in my two cents here; It seems that half-manakete, half-human people age somewhere in-between the two races as others have said. 

However, there's doesn't seem to be much consistency when it comes to the different dragon races across FE. Like for example, you have Nah in Awakening, who seems to age at around the same rate as the other children. But then you have Nils and Ninian in the Blazing Blade, who are also half-dragon and half-human, and have been around since before the Scouring, meaning they've lived for about a thousand years or so, yet Nils is still a kid while Ninian is still a teenager.

I personally think that every dragon race in the FE-verse has it's own set of biological rules, and we can't really say for certain which each of them are since IS never really builds up on them (and like someone else said, they probably don't think too much about it aside from Manaketes aging slower than humans), so it's mostly up to interpretation or headcanons.

On 5/6/2021 at 3:02 AM, Hasechi said:

@Cosmic_Dragon "For Ninian and Nils, if they live on the other side of Dragon’s Gate, they can live for hundreds of years. If they live on human’s side, their lifespan will be shortened to that of human or maybe less."

Oh right, sorry, forgot about that detail, been a while since I've played the Elibe saga. Still though, I assume they still undergo growth on the other side of the Gate, just that at the pace of a dragon rather than that of a human, which would mean that they have indeed been growing at a consistent slower pace (unless the games said something that disproves this? Again, it's been a while since I've played the Elibe saga)

However, we also have 

Spoiler

Flayn in Three Houses, who was an active participant in the War of Heroes which happened about a thousand years ago before the main story, and yet she still has the body (and perhaps mentality) of a kid by the time we meet her at Garreg Mach. Granted, we don't know whether her mother was human or Nabatean (the game never said so), but Seteth did say he met her in Enbarr, which was a human settlement. 

Like I said, I simply believe that each draconic race in FE follows it's own set of rules when it comes to biology and development. We never do get a clear view on this cause IS never actually explains it (and I doubt they want us to think about it too hard tbh), but that's my personal belief.

Edited by Cosmic_Dragon

On 5/6/2021 at 1:02 AM, Hasechi said:

@Cosmic_Dragon "For Ninian and Nils, if they live on the other side of Dragon’s Gate, they can live for hundreds of years. If they live on human’s side, their lifespan will be shortened to that of human or maybe less."

Definitely less. Nils does tell Ninian that staying on the Elibe side of the gate means her lifespan will be cut short. Which harkens back to the fact the Endless Winter triggered by the Scouring made that world long-term lethal to dragons. Those that stayed either managed to acclimatize (which Nils and Ninian definitely didn't, having fled through the gate before the EW happened), or still have issues (Yahn having to return to the Dragon Temple to recover every time he leaves it).