intro...fire emblem, math, personality, etc.

tacticsfan999

I'm flighty and unhappy. I wrote stuff about mathematical tier lists on the subreddit. I played through H5 and I'm doing an H5 challenge run video series right now which I'll post once I have enough initial videos. I'm already in therapy so yeah, no need to tell me to go to therapy. You just have to accept me, or not. I'm open and for very good reasons and it's nothing negative.

I'm exclusively focused on gameplay. I'm one of those. My goals in FE are to do cool challenge runs and criticize the concept of character tier lists in Fire Emblem games. If I have a lot of energy then I might try proving that FE combat is NP hard or something stupid. I have a math degree so I like to incorporate that into my game hobbies.

I'm extremely open and accepting of people in conversation. I don't like it when people are rude or disrespectful to me. I read and study academic fields that I find interesting but don't expect to see me in the political section because, yeah, no. I've played tons of games of all kinds of genres and tend to try to challenge myself in all of them. 

I use sarcasm but I don't use it as a weapon unless someone is being rude. It can be more like "hey look how ridiculous this sounds, surely not a reality. I hope that makes you feel better about your worry." That kind of thing. Or just something eccentric and neutral. 

Anyway, that's everything that there is about me. If you're interested in intersecting math and FE then feel free to contact me. I hope your day goes better than expected no matter where you are, and that's my intro.

Edited by tacticsfan999

Thanks Guill0. And yeah sure! 

https://femaniac.blogspot.com/2020/08/tier-list-essay-pt3.html (Two Examples)

https://femaniac.blogspot.com/2020/08/tier-list-theory-essays-p5.html (First Attempt)

https://femaniac.blogspot.com/2020/09/tier-list-theory-essays-pt8.html (Second Attempt)

They are attempts to create rigorously defined tier lists that are still meaningful to players. I'd say they aren't without their flaws but I hope they're interesting. When you really try to clarify what's good, you start to realize that it's something for which there is no really satisfactory definition.

Edited by tacticsfan999

Welcome to the Forest, TacticsFan999!

3 hours ago, tacticsfan999 said:

You just have to accept me, or not.

We accept everyone around here. Just grab a drink and chill with us.

Thank you, have a nice day, get well and enjoy your stay!

10 hours ago, tacticsfan999 said:

I'm exclusively focused on gameplay. I'm one of those.

We may get along. 

10 hours ago, tacticsfan999 said:

They are attempts to create rigorously defined tier lists that are still meaningful to players. I'd say they aren't without their flaws but I hope they're interesting. When you really try to clarify what's good, you start to realize that it's something for which there is no really satisfactory definition.

Seems like an extremely in-depth rating system for units to quantify their value. And then they would be sorted onto this “mathematical tier list”?

I’m down for tier lists and unit comparisons. Have you actually applied this to any games or is it still theoretical?

10 hours ago, Sooks said:

Welcome tacticsfan999! It sucks that you’re unhappy, but things will be better one day. They always are.

I work towards that very hard, thanks Sooks.

8 hours ago, Ycine said:

Welcome to the Forest, TacticsFan999!

We accept everyone around here. Just grab a drink and chill with us.

Thank you, have a nice day, get well and enjoy your stay!

That sounds nice to me. Thanks for the welcome.

1 hour ago, Hawk King said:

We may get along. 

Seems like an extremely in-depth rating system for units to quantify their value. And then they would be sorted onto this “mathematical tier list”?

I’m down for tier lists and unit comparisons. Have you actually applied this to any games or is it still theoretical?

It's mainly theoretical. I don't think any tier list can really have a well-defined and fully satisfying background concept. The criteria I spelled out in those essays though could be used in practice, just not without some labor. For example in the exclusion list it's not hard to argue that Jagen > Gordin based on the criteria spelled out, but the exclusion list isn't fully satisfying. And hello! 

Edited by tacticsfan999