charater design: clip studio paint, gimp, Krita

I've been using photoshop for a while so I know stuffs in photoshop. But I just stop at photo editting. Now I want to learn become a charater designer. Which tool from above should I select? Plz don't just answer the tool I should choose, but also show me reasons. Thanks. If you know better option please let me know.

• 1 month later...

I can only speak to CSP's and Krita's merits as actual art programs, and I don't think any one of them is necessarily better for character design. I personally use Krita because it's free and easy to navigate, but CSP has a lot of free downloadable assets made by the community that can be really helpful, and most artists that use CSP that I've seen have a high opinion of the program. 

I guess it kind of depends on what exactly you plan to do/mean by character design? There's a lot that goes into it but everything I can think of that's more or less essential for learning how to design good characters aren't really helped or hurt by the program you work on. You don't even really need to branch out of Photoshop to learn character design.

@Hasechi I specialize in 2D; I'm not very familiar with 3D. It does change my advice but I'd take it with a grain of salt since I don't work in 3D.

The little I know is that I've only seen Krita and CSP used in tandem with Blender for 3D work. I think they can load and edit 3D files but their default interfaces aren't really conducive to the whole process of 3D design and if there are workarounds for that I've not heard of them.

4 hours ago, paleontologist-apologist said:

@Hasechi I specialize in 2D; I'm not very familiar with 3D. It does change my advice but I'd take it with a grain of salt since I don't work in 3D.

The little I know is that I've only seen Krita and CSP used in tandem with Blender for 3D work. I think they can load and edit 3D files but their default interfaces aren't really conducive to the whole process of 3D design and if there are workarounds for that I've not heard of them.

I was just asking. Thank you

• 5 months later...
On 5/6/2021 at 5:32 PM, Hasechi said:

I've been using photoshop for a while so I know stuffs in photoshop. But I just stop at photo editting. Now I want to learn become a charater designer. Which tool from above should I select? Plz don't just answer the tool I should choose, but also show me reasons. Thanks. If you know better option please let me know.

I am fond of not only design, but also painting. Painting became a discovery for me even during my studies at school. Now I draw a lot and on the site https://artscolumbia.org/free-essays/painting/ I often read small articles about drawing, which I use when writing my own studies that deal with various aspects of painting.

I recommend krita based on my experience.

Edited by Darius Murphy

• 9 months later...

The creation of website designs is a very challenging, yet fascinating and expansive field. I am aware of a good business that is still relatively new to the industry but has a wealth of market knowledge. On their website, https://masterbundles.com/ you can find a variety of design offers, including those for illustrations, Photoshop Add-Ons, Lightroom Add-Ons, mockup templates, and more, in addition to the website design deals. 

Edited by Tasaza

• 9 months later...