FE8 mandatory promotion?

Okay, I arrived in chapter 9 and my Ross will receive a promotion, but I don't want him to receive a promotion, Ross is strong but thin as the mugshot shows, but the sprite is that muscular monster that doesn't make sense? am I going to have to settle for this?

On a first playthrough, yep. Once you've finished both Eph and Eirika routes, all three trainees get access to a new promotion that is their same class, but in a higher tier-And at maximum promotion, they get a special bonus. (First two trainees get +15 crit, the last gets access to all magic weapon types. I think.)

15 minutes ago, Benice said:

On a first playthrough, yep. Once you've finished both Eph and Eirika routes, all three trainees get access to a new promotion that is their same class, but in a higher tier-And at maximum promotion, they get a special bonus. (First two trainees get +15 crit, the last gets access to all magic weapon types. I think.)

Man... Eirika and Epraim's promotions are mandatory too?

1 minute ago, Redpack007 said:

Nope! They're given promotion items that can be used whenever. I think. They might have to be over level 10.

36 minutes ago, Redpack007 said:

Only the trainee units force-promote after reaching level 10. The Fighter portrait is kind of cheesy, but I have a soft spot for GBA Pirates. Either way, you can think of the promotion as Ross getting swole.

Hey, you trained him up. He was shrimpy but because of you, he started lifting. Let him have his muscles.

As far as the promotion being mandatory, yes, after Trainees reach level 10 you have to promote them. As said above, after beating both routes, the trainees can promote to their same class just getting promotion bonuses, and I would assume they have the same sprite there.

41 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Hey, you trained him up. He was shrimpy but because of you, he started lifting. Let him have his muscles.

Haha! I loved your answer!

Let's say I want to keep Eirika and Ephraim the way they are, without promoting or anything, can I get to the end of the game well or will they be underleveled?

Edited by Redpack007

3 minutes ago, Redpack007 said:

Let's say I want to keep Eirika and Ephraim the way they are, without promoting or anything, can I get to the end of the game well or will they be underleveled?

You'll probably be fine. Not great, but they get really good PRFs that can carry 'em in the lategame.

Edited by Benice

25 minutes ago, Benice said:

You'll probably be fine. Not great, but they get really good PRFs that can carry 'em in the lategame.

Well, Ephraim will be fine, Eirika is a little squishy without her promo bonuses ( even then she's still on the frail side)

Can you get to the end of the game?  Yes.  FE8's difficulty isn't too bad.

Do you want to do this?  Uhh, you can, but why?

13 hours ago, Redpack007 said:

Sacred Stones is probably the easiest of all three GBA titles, mainly because this game has broken hit/critical rates for player units( take Eirika for example, wich is already critting like crazy even before promotion, in a manner worse than that of a Swordmaster with a Killing Edge ), so you might be able to get to the end of the game without many issues.

you should consider few things though, because after promotion they get:

- more movement range;

- promotion gains(stats boost);

- higher stats caps.

it's mostly a matter of stats, rather than levels, because both lords might end up being "average" in terms of stats, but since you have 20 levels to get some exp along with stats booster items, you can always give them those consumables to improve their performance, although you'll still be limited by the stats caps of their basic lord class.

that in itself can be either a trivial matter or a serious handicap depending on difficulty settings, luck with growth rates, and your own way of playing the game.

in my opinion, yes, it might be doable. it's just not worth giving up on the promotion bonuses in the long run, unless of course you want to try your luck and challenge yourself.

8 hours ago, eclipse said:

Can you get to the end of the game?  Yes.  FE8's difficulty isn't too bad.

Do you want to do this?  Uhh, you can, but why?

Just personal taste i guess, I don't like of units that uses horses, with the exception of cavaliers or paladins, I wouldn't like Neimi or Natasha on a Horse for example, but Seth or Franz i can't imagine them without horses!

3 hours ago, Redpack007 said:

Just personal taste i guess, I don't like of units that uses horses, with the exception of cavaliers or paladins, I wouldn't like Neimi or Natasha on a Horse for example, but Seth or Franz i can't imagine them without horses!

That's fair.  The two lords aren't necessary to actually beat the game, so as long as you've been raising other combat units, you should be fine.  They can help out by killing whatever's between you and the final boss (and there is quite a few things between their "promotion" and the final boss).

1 hour ago, eclipse said:

That's fair.  The two lords aren't necessary to actually beat the game, so as long as you've been raising other combat units, you should be fine.  They can help out by killing whatever's between you and the final boss (and there is quite a few things between their "promotion" and the final boss).

So i can't defeat the final boss with a level 20 Eirika?

12 minutes ago, Redpack007 said:

So i can't defeat the final boss with a level 20 Eirika?

Y'know what, that's a good question.  I'll be pulling all my numbers from here.  Final boss stats are from here.

Eirika's personal weapon (not the Rapier) has 9 Wt, 16 MT and 90 hit.  I'll pull her average stats at level 20, and eliminate any decimal places.

There's two things that need to happen for a finishing blow.  First, she needs to hit.  Second, she needs to deal at least 1 damage.  So here we go!

Will she hit?  Hit formula:

Accuracy = Weapon Hit + (Skill x 2) + (Luck / 2) + Support bonus + Weapon triangle bonus + S Rank bonus

So let's insert some numbers into that equation.  Since she's unpromoted, the S rank bonus doesn't apply.  I'll assume she's unsupported.  Weapon triangle is also irrelevant.

Accuracy = 90 + (19 x 2) + (16 / 2) + 0 + 0 + 0

That gives a total of 136 accuracy, assuming that I know how to math.  Next up, enemy avoid!

Avoid = (Attack Speed x 2) + Luck + Support bonus + Terrain bonus
Avoid = (19 x 2) + 21 + 0 + 0

Which gives 59 avoid.  She's got a decent chance of hitting (77% displayed, to be exact).

Next, damage.

Damage = (Strength + [(Weapon might + Weapon triangle bonus) x Effective bonus] + Support bonus – enemy Defence) x (Weapon Critical + (Skill / 2) + Support bonus + Critical bonus + S Rank bonus)
Damage = (11 + [(16 + 0) x 2] + 0 – 35) x (0 + (16 / 2) + 0 + 0 + 0 - 21)

Which means she'll do 8 damage, if I did my math right (crit chance is 0 since she's not overcoming the enemy's 21 Luck).

tl;dr - Support her with her brother and L'Arachel, so she gets more damage and crit!

19 hours ago, eclipse said:

Y'know what, that's a good question.  I'll be pulling all my numbers from here.  Final boss stats are from here.

Eirika's personal weapon (not the Rapier) has 9 Wt, 16 MT and 90 hit.  I'll pull her average stats at level 20, and eliminate any decimal places.

There's two things that need to happen for a finishing blow.  First, she needs to hit.  Second, she needs to deal at least 1 damage.  So here we go!

Will she hit?  Hit formula:

Accuracy = Weapon Hit + (Skill x 2) + (Luck / 2) + Support bonus + Weapon triangle bonus + S Rank bonus

So let's insert some numbers into that equation.  Since she's unpromoted, the S rank bonus doesn't apply.  I'll assume she's unsupported.  Weapon triangle is also irrelevant.

Accuracy = 90 + (19 x 2) + (16 / 2) + 0 + 0 + 0

That gives a total of 136 accuracy, assuming that I know how to math.  Next up, enemy avoid!

Avoid = (Attack Speed x 2) + Luck + Support bonus + Terrain bonus
Avoid = (19 x 2) + 21 + 0 + 0

Which gives 59 avoid.  She's got a decent chance of hitting (77% displayed, to be exact).

Next, damage.

Damage = (Strength + [(Weapon might + Weapon triangle bonus) x Effective bonus] + Support bonus – enemy Defence) x (Weapon Critical + (Skill / 2) + Support bonus + Critical bonus + S Rank bonus)
Damage = (11 + [(16 + 0) x 2] + 0 – 35) x (0 + (16 / 2) + 0 + 0 + 0 - 21)

Which means she'll do 8 damage, if I did my math right (crit chance is 0 since she's not overcoming the enemy's 21 Luck).

tl;dr - Support her with her brother and L'Arachel, so she gets more damage and crit!

Whoa! Impressive! Thanks a lot!