Do you enjoy power trips/fantasies in video games?

indigoasis

If you've ever played a Warriors game, you'll probably get what I'm asking, but to give a general idea of it, a power trip (in video games) can be summarized as when the player is given the power, and therefore the ability, to absolutely dominate in the game that they're playing. It creates a situation where the player can crush anything in their path with ease and can remove the difficulty of certain video games. Power trips can be created through the means of cheat codes (like the Konami code), unlockable content, or the right combination of skills and equipment; it can also just be how the game is (like with Warriors where you can absolutely wipe the battlefield in a matter of minutes). Power trips could also be called power fantasies.

With that in mind, and assuming that you've gone on a power trip in a video game, do you enjoy them?

I should mention that power trips don't have to be a constant thing. Just a fun distraction to make the player feel, well.... powerful! So when I ask that question, the intention is that it's an occasional thing. Overcoming a challenge in a video game gives no better feeling, but it's fun to wipe the floor with everything sometimes, too.

Of course. I'm probably one of the bigger Warrior players on here so it stands to reason I enjoy power fantasies. I'm also pretty into Bayonetta whenever I get my hands on one of those games. 

To some extend the same goes for Fire Emblem. Who doesn't enjoy putting Shanan or Pent into a crowd of enemies and seeing what happens?

YES.

That's my favorite thing to do in videogames. Every game has something that breaks it, like a strategy, an item or even a bug, and finding that is what gives me the most satisfaction

Sure, it depends on my mood and the game. Sometimes I like a power trip in FE, other times it feels drab and makes me want to criticize the game for lacking good map design/strategy.

I am a Musou fan as well. And a power trip is always fun if I have to earn it. Momentary power spikes carried out in gameplay to reflect on a game's narrative are awesome too.

Usually, I love the feeling of a power trip at first, but I quickly become tired of my power and just end it. It's hard for me to abuse something that lets me win with ease, as I tend to get bored quickly.

While the modern Doom games were the first things that came to mind upon reading the title, since the character you play as is presented as a GOD OF VENGEANCE that is the BANE OF DEMONS EVERYWHERE and RIPS AND TEARS through every enemy he faces, they aren't quite examples as the demons can easily kill you if you aren't careful. Basically, Doom is a power fantasy you have to work for. On the other hand, Doom Eternal has unlockable cheat codes that can be used when replaying levels, so you can more easily RIP AND TEAR through demons while looking for collectibles you missed the first time.

I wouldn't want to be a GOD OF VENGEANCE in every game though, because at some point I start feeling bad for the hapless enemies I'm fighting. However, unlimited power can be enjoyable as a reward for doing something challenging; as another Doom Eternal example, there's a powerful weapon you can get after completing six optional challenges that can be used for the rest of the game. It isn't an instant-win weapon since ammo for it is uncommon, but it is useful for dealing with powerful enemies.

Edited by Lightchao42

Of course. This is becoming a recognizeable trope of single player games, but I also like being presented with a very powerful enemy early on in the game and being encouraged not to fight them, but much later in the game I'm much stronger and tasked with defeating one of them. It really hammers home your character progression when you can beat what used to be unbeatable. Like coming back to the deathclaw nest as a late game character in Fallout New Vegas. There's no story-related reason to come back there, but it's an intense challenge that you've been fantasizing about since the start of the game when NPCs were telling you not to travel that road.

That's why I think there's also merits for the opposite phenomenon. Where your character is not that powerful and must outsmart or out manuever his foes. Solid Snake surveying guards from the far corner. Super Mario destroying the bridge with an axe. Every second of a Punch Out game. Heck, there's a reason why Dark Souls bosses are almost universally giants in proportion to your character. We like to be the underdog too. 

Edited by Glennstavos

1 hour ago, Maof06 said:

YES.

That's my favorite thing to do in videogames. Every game has something that breaks it, like a strategy, an item or even a bug, and finding that is what gives me the most satisfaction

That reminds me of a time when I was playing Diablo 3 with a friend years ago at his house, and we both went Witch Doctor. Somehow, and I legitimately don't know how, I was able to spam firebats for a few levels because my mana was able to replenish fast enough. It was honestly really funny.

1 hour ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

And a power trip is always fun if I have to earn it. Momentary power spikes carried out in gameplay to reflect on a game's narrative are awesome too.

41 minutes ago, Lightchao42 said:

Basically, Doom is a power fantasy you have to work for.

I absolutely agree with this. These are the best kinds of power fantasies, imo. It wouldn't be any fun just having it handed to you on a silver platter.

52 minutes ago, FlyingKitsune said:

Usually, I love the feeling of a power trip at first, but I quickly become tired of my power and just end it. It's hard for me to abuse something that lets me win with ease, as I tend to get bored quickly.

I think most power fantasies are typically meant to be like dessert after dinner (or anything, really); good in moderation, but becomes harmful in excess, which is to say that a power fantasy going on for too long becomes a detriment to your enjoyment since it starts becoming repetitive. Power Stars in Mario games strike an excellent balance. They're a rare powerup that only last for a little bit, but the time you have it for is enough to keep you going.

In stuff like monster hunter. Making a monster that knocked you around multiple times get stun locked and fail to even hit you once is fantastic.

Warrior games I'd probably have enjoyed when i was younger. Now though, they just feel like mindless button mashing and that isn't any fun for me.

I love the feeling of a power trip just when I'm skilled enough to obtain it.
I really feel satisfied by a videogame only when it is so hard you have to become very skilled at it in order to overcome the enemies.
That sensation is particoulary strong in hack'n'slash games where the AI is smart enought to make you consider every single movement, if you want to survive. Like, I fricking love videos on YouTube where the never gets hit and use insane skills to do so.

No. At least not as a core game design. I find the Warriors games very vapid and very repetitive. As an aspect of a larger game it can be great however. And one of my favorites actually comes from Metroid, which is an oft not discussed element of the game. It's a slow progress, and it actually doesn't make the game easier per se, but by the end of a typical Metroid game you feel so much more powerful than the start of the game. Especially when you finally get the screw attack (combined with the Space Jump of course) and you can run through almost any part of the game as a flying saucer of death.

I'm gonna say NO. I just stop feeling anything in video games when I realize that I am far above my opponent. I don't see much point in flexing my powers on enemies that may as well have the power level of an insect. In other words, I'd much rather look for a greater adversary than go crush some newbies. My preference in games tend to be pretty hardcore, and I usually need an extra rule or three to replay some of the easier games in the Fire Emblem series *cough Sacred Stones cough* or Pokemon series. A sense of challenge is what primarily motivates me to play video games. That being said, I do get tired of doing insane challenges. Sometimes I just want to turn my brain off and hack n' slash away at stuff. 

Edited by windypanda1