Do you like having accessories/non-weapon equipables in Fire Emblem?

Corrobin

On 5/23/2021 at 12:32 PM, Jotari said:

It's probably the same for Berwick, but what I really like about Tear Ring Saga is that Shields actually have durability. Which makes a tonne of sense, but also makes them way more interesting than Shadows of Valentia or Three Houses. It makes it much more cost effective analysis to decide whether you want to use the shield against certain enemies.

It also gives them license to be stronger since they can't keep you safe forever. Compare TRS shields' defense values to SoV and 3H's; the uses might look a little disappointing but they scale a lot more heavily. While SoV can justify it with damage deflation and worse weapons, they're pathetic in 3H where the only ones really worth considering have very strong secondary effects.

On 6/1/2021 at 11:21 AM, X-Naut said:

It also gives them license to be stronger since they can't keep you safe forever. Compare TRS shields' defense values to SoV and 3H's; the uses might look a little disappointing but they scale a lot more heavily. While SoV can justify it with damage deflation and worse weapons, they're pathetic in 3H where the only ones really worth considering have very strong secondary effects.

IMO even the weaker shields have utility in earlygame 3H Maddening. Like, if one of my units is getting doubled regardless, then an Iron Shield is a net benefit. Same if I'm not getting doubled, and equipping wouldn't put me into doubled territory. Managing when to equip, and when to un-equip, is kind of a neat challenge. They don't keep up especially well (outside of the Ochain and Seiros Shields) into the lategame, but they still have utility on defensive tank builds.