A madman tries to Ironman Thracia 776 blind!

Venger_06

Zqosma1t o

A century after the fabled 12 Crusaders liberated the continent of Jugdral, a man and his trusted companions moved on to their destiny. The man was turned into barbecue, but his tale inspired many to come…

0yyezyyp o

Quan and Ethlyn were both dumbasses who thought it was a good idea to bring a baby to a desert…

Tgnoqrdr o

The protagonist’s (grand)father was betrayed and killed by his allies, an event never seen before in this series…

75vjotmh o

Finn, being a badass, saved Prince Leif when his country fell…

Gwx8llfb o

He stood there, watching their home burn before their very eyes…

Fgi5wx19 o

Leif didn’t know what the hell was going on, but he would understand in time…

Xd2otwo3 o

And as the years went by, a new light was starting to shine across Jugdral…

7seqw3vv o

Ladies and gentleman, from this day I’ll be liberating Jugdral in Kaga’s magnum opus, Thracia 776! Since everything in life has its first time, this is the first time that I do a Let’s Play, an Ironman and play an FE blind! Here you can see firsthand someone's first impression of the game, complete with bad strategies, silly mistakes, mood whiplash and bad humor! I'm not a funny person, see the intro.

Here’s some information about me and rules set for this Let’s Play:

Ever since I entered this fanbase, in front of my eyes, there’s always been an obscure game…

Worldbuilding. Eugenics. Story and Gameplay integration. The Land of Jugdral offers so much more than what was released overseas…

Those who have played it must be, in all the world, the most experienced.

This is… Peak Emblem!

Finally… I’ve reached it. This scenery.

And that's it. Carry on.

Spoiler

Now seriously: I’m just an RPG fan who got caught in the world of turn-based strategy games (or to be more specific, Fire Emblem). RPGs have always been my favorite type of game, and since I was 5 years old I have been playing games of the genre, whether MMOs, JRPGs or of western origin. I never cared much for turn-based strategies, although I love Suikoden II, Final Fantasy Tactics and Pokémon Conquest, and even today I can't say that I'm well versed in the genre.

My first contact with the franchise was in 2010, when my father gifted me a Nintendo DS. I started messing around with the games that came on the R4, played I started to try the games that came on R4, and Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon was one of them. I can't say that I liked the game (and that feeling hasn’t changed much), and I tossed it aside without going beyond chapter 2, eventually deleting the game from the SD to make room for more Pokémon games (oops). The years went by until I searched for RPGs on the 3DS, and found Fire Emblem Awakening (inb4 “Awakening Baby”), which I loved and opened the door for me to the rest of the franchise. It made me want to play all the games in the franchise (or those accessible to me - basically every game except 3H), however, I always felt something was lacking. In my opinion, one of the most important aspects of these games that I played all this time was how the story, the world and the characters intertwined and came to life, creating an emotional bond with the player and making it a unique experience. Fire Emblem didn’t have that. The more I played Fire Emblem, the more I noticed FE stories where bland, formulaic and/or not very interesting at all. This was (and still is) a problem, and I’m not one of those people who think that Story > Gameplay – for me, the work must have a balance between them.

I'll give you a shitty example that may not make sense at first, but you should be able to understand the idea. Pokémon is my favorite game franchise across the universe. I grew up with these games and I don't believe that anything can compare to the appreciation I have for them. When I started playing them, I was a very small child (I should have been 4 or 5 years old) who didn't pay much attention to things. That changed, however, as I got older and my opinion about certain games in the franchise changed. Pokemon Black & White have an excellent story (for Pokémon standards), the second best story in the franchise (behind only Sun & Moon imo), and that was one of the reasons that made me look at the franchise with different eyes. They were games that I didn't like at first, but that I understood what they tried to do when they decided on the direction of the franchise. Today I see them as the franchise's last attempt to do something different, with Soul. But they are not my favorites in the series.

Pokémon Black 2 is my favorite game in the franchise, a game that I've finished more than 10 times and may well be my favorite game of all time. Although it has an inferior story to the games I mentioned above (still good for Pokémon standards, probably the third best), Black 2 is probably the most balanced, satisfactorily difficult and well-presented game in the series, far beyond its predecessor B/W or Sun/Moon, which makes the game have the edge over him in my eyes. Platinum and Emerald are also great, but they have a story that doesn't come very close, which makes Black 2 superior. In short, a good story makes me attached to what's on the screen, be it the events, the world or the characters, and it gives me extra motivation to continue, especially when I arrive at frustrating moments in the game. In the end, it is not only "defeat the final boss to clear the game", but also "defeat the final boss so that characters X and Y have peace". That kind of feeling makes the experience memorable.

Ok, now back to FE. If Fire Emblem was an abstract strategy game judged purely in terms of gameplay and treated as if there were no story, no characters, nothing other than pieces and stats and skills, then honestly, it's garbage. Why would I ever choose to play this when I could be playing --insert superior strategy game here-- instead? That was my main gripe with the franchise until I played Genealogy of the Holy War, which I was told that had everything I wanted from a game. As you could see in my little preface, it was true, and Jugdral quickly became one of my favorite places in fiction.

So, now I'm finally about to finish my journey across this continent. My goals with this Let's Play are to improve my English and see if I can get readers' attention through my writing. I hope I’m able to do both even if my strategies (and humor) suck.

Well, now that you guys know a little about me, I’m going to introduce the rules of this Let’s Play:

1. This is an Ironman - I don't intend to reset if any of my units die.
  2. This is a (mostly) blind playthrough - the only things I know are that Leif must escape last, Staves can miss and that I must capture like crazy if I want money.
  3. Spoilers are counterproductive, as they go against the purpose of this playthrough (which is to play blind).

These are the 3 main rules. If I remember anything else, I’ll add some more rules.

Expect lots of deaths.

Edited by Maof06

Chapter One:

Spoiler

I'm already warning you that this entry shouldn't be so much fun, since I'm using this chapter to do some tests.

Pc44fq8x oDqxc6cze oHs4obwyf oJmjwqble oAzox0fxz oCb4bvtwo oKvta79jj oQmmor1kg oAaccc0vn oOtp6gmcl oRr5sryef o

And now we have that basic info dump that gives the initial context for the story. As in many FEs (which came before and after), Leif is the prince of a nation that fell during his childhood and he grew up hidden in an isolated place, where those who wanted him dead would not find him.

At least until he turned 15...

Bkgnem1f oN2alzran o

When shit happened.

Aqlahkwr oGpjhhfsc o

Apparently Leif went out with the Freeblades.

Kd9wfpgy oFugcd8fh oPacpvgms o

Eyvel ... how interesting. I'm looking forward to meeting this character we've never seen before.

93ngezbl oNmlcvxuh oYapmk7nx o

Yes, because most Genealogy players went out of their way to pair Finn and Lachesis.

3mk8oflx o1fwqmpuw oDu3swdnl o

And now the girls are captured.

Atmolxla oKqcrwynt oOlydqdp9 oUiqyrq6i oIxxto4dc oGojqcwlq o

Yes, now take your hands off her.

C5bekqpl o3cmfyd8z oAunzuvym o

Yeah, he took off with the girls and left his mooks alone here. How the hell did they find out where Leif was hiding? Are you going to tell me he is famous locally? If so, how did he stay hidden for so long? Anyway, now our heroes appear.

Umuueqpf oB0vlr4hv o

Only your daughter being kidnapped, no big deal.

Fx2uwnce oM03izx72 o2tz11sav o

That was fast, but apparently it was enough to find out what was going on.

Nyu4tsem oA51sw7ho o

Not with me in charge

Rnlblerp oAf0nbnb5 oHtdemliy o7jgb7jkk oZgrcafex oPgyatbyc o

Leif is determined. I hope that this determination does not lead to premature death.

Ad1x5kkv o8wrlwsfy o

Chad.

5th2d00m oCcso4cnw o

They look like two parents watching their son grow up. And they are technically according to my last FE4 playthrough.

5jizur3e oSmzot2av oFcxma270 oAvfl28qk oJo6oxig3 oScjandfo o

Is this the game giving a hint?

Gyupyvkd oFsi638fs o

FINALLY, THE GAME! Now we can see who and how our units are. Let's start with our Lord, Leif.

Ass2bxkq o1g2oappk o

Very mediocre. At least he owns Light Brand, which allows him to attack from a distance. He also has the Adept skill, which allows him to attack consecutively. In FE4, this was the only chance for characters without Pursuit to attack more than once per turn. This skill is one of the most useful and has saved me a few times.

Bc6jqtej oLbuij4zt o

FINN STARTES WITH A BRAVE LANCE! THIS IS COMPLETELY BUSTED! His stats looks alright. Is he really supposed to be our Jagen? Also, why the fuck does he have an Iron Sword? Miracle was nerfed after its broken iteration in FE4, now looking more like the version of the latest games.

H3eovze6 oI2nnzv9a o

Halvan is next (lol axes). Vantage was also nerfed compared to the previous game, although I don't understand why. In FE4, you could use the inheritance system to stack Vantage and Wrath on Arthur and create an invincible character, which is not very, well, balanced. However, this was done through the game's inherent mechanics, with its pros and cons. Here, unless you have some characters that have both skills or somehow you can teach skills to your characters, I don't think there was a need for that nerf.

I3jtzanr oJnvmlkcb o

Finally, Eyvel. She looks OP to me. Look at that speed stat, man. She must activate Adept all the time.

Jax2qizm oD8qtkfbr o

Wow, Wrath cause critical counter attacks. In a theoretical combination with Vantage, the character could annihilate the enemy during the Enemy Phase, provided he can survive all blows. Okay, now I understand why Vantage was nerfed.

Ok, enemies are weak and have nothing special. Anyway, now the fun begins. In that case, Osian goes to the village on the right and the rest just moves north. My strategy in most games is as follows: always at the beginning of the maps I move the units as much as possible. I sent Eyvel to try to capture the first mook...

Ngj3cafy o

And she missed one hit. Well, he has a low HP. Next time I can do it. With her action, the turn ends.

Bfh09zsg o1agtssbu o

And that mook commits suicide at Leif. Great, now I'm going to have to weaken another one.

Aphydhz1 oJiblvbep o

Two other mooks try to attack Eyvel, without success. It's our turn again.

Edited by Maof06

Chapter One, Part Two:

Spoiler

Owu7uo8u oHclvnzjc o

Osian went to attack the soldier in the village, but missed twice. Damn axes.

Since Eyvel for some reason can't to capture these two soldiers above her, Halvan takes care of the soldier with Javelin.

Qrzt0db8 o

And he successfully defeats him. Leif then goes to face the archer. I hope he activates Adept...

Hrqmafih oP2l30hos o

He did not activate, and even missed the attack. It seems that the adults will have to solve the problem.

H3mtefwt oOln4pfqr o

Finn managed to capture the archer easily, and Eyvel will soon attack the other enemy archer in the village above.

Rruh208y oJvzulsiz o

... And she missed again. Shit, if I wanted attacks to miss I would be playing Binding Blade. This archer then used a Vulnerary and now the effort has been in vain. Thank you, Eyvel. Other enemies came closer and one attacked Osian, but he didn't count on...

Zlsipndp oEli2kysz o

WRATH, BABY! And now more people have joined the party.

Frv7pu2z oAndhvuzx oKjinq8kp o6uwldt9c o

I will take advantage of her range and use Tanya to attack the soldier through the wall. Her stats don't seem like a big deal.

Ch25vknv oRhjbogze o

... At least she hit the shot. Leif can then kill him with the Light Brand.

Tksnnktt oV5kfqvhl o

AND SUDDENLY HE COULD MOVE AGAIN? WHAT WAS THIS? A MUSIC SIGN APPEARED UPON HIM AND COULD MOVE AGAIN!

Well, I'm not going to waste that chance. But I will move others first. Eyvel tries to kill that archer again, while Halvan tries to kill that soldier next to her.

Qp17y46r oWbbn5dva o

Success. And Halvan critted the poor soldier. Finn steals the bow of the soldier that he captured and frees him, moving north to Leif.

Kfakbsk7 oVjmhfpl0 o

Dagdar and Marty move as much as possible. Let's see stats:

Pr4lffke oXhncqbnb oXodtml3e o

Dagdar is good, but Marty is a piece of crap. Anyway, Leif successfully attacks the soldier in the village to the north from a distance. He should gain a level in the next battle he does.

Cdtq53mu o

Finally, Osian visits the village and receives a gift, yay! This marks the end of the turn.

P4llnebd o7gqnck9z oYniro7kl oV8dg0hus oYt4w2vot oSq9qszk4 oXemn7pho o

Kaga did Vaike first.

The enemy tries to shoot a Javelin at Halvan, but misses. Our turn. Leif finishes the job against that soldier at a distance again and gets his first level up!

Qkncttuo oX1qwgcwh oPr2tszcr o

Which is pretty good, not going to lie. Good, kid. Tanya goes south to talk to Osian, who also moves to meet her. I think that in the next turn they can talk.

Dagdar visits the village and receives a vulnerary, and then Eyvel speaks to him.

Levqgllo oYop8oma5 oP26subvy oQjwwowsv o42vmhpoq o6e11txpi o1ck0wwsq o

Seriously, how did Leif's location leak?

Yl5rply3 oNhfhwiww oO3vwscmh o

Visiting the remaining villages with Finn and Halvan, I got those items. End of turn.

Dyc7mjz1 oIghtqumm o

Halvan managed to dodge an attack at least. Now, let's see the conversation between Osian and Tanya.

0ijko44w o1da8l8lj oQ44accff o67ankazx oVjaarc1g o

Was that the obligatory “back to the kitchen” moment or I'm reaching? Either way, Dagdar will attack the archer with his Hand Axe.

Bzvn0s7l oFo5t7l5r o

And he critted. Cool.

A8rwtsgc oAsxjuvo0 oOalcfwmt o

Finn captured the soldier at the Vendor and gave Leif a Shortbow. Eyvel missed a blow once more when I sent to try to capture the soldier beside Halvan. Sorry for not taking the screenshot of the moment, frustration distracted me. Anyway, I'm going to have to attack him with Halvan now and Marty will serve as bait, in the last action of the turn.

Ytcwy0ny oSqckrr0i oQwxhb7sz oM30yt2dw o8tprmjca o

Halvan killed a soldier in a counterattack and got that shit level up there, but at the same time, apparently his Mov has increased. Huh?

Qqeuvum0 oHmiexfjw o

Marty did his part as a bait. Anyway, Eyvel manages to capture a soldier with her Flame Sword now.

71oxd9px o5xfz3abm oBgxpmiqd oWpcvjvqm o

Marty...

Okay, change of plans: Halvan will weaken this enemy so that Leif can kill him. Dagdar will exchange his Vulnerary with Leif and Finn will steal the soldier and free him.

Xez0jj5a o

Okay, I miscalculated, and Leif was unable to kill him. Shit. To make matters worse, I even forgot to hand the Vulnerary over to Leif. At least Dagdar has a free action now, so I used him to kill the guy in the village. Osian and Tanya are so far away that they are not even worth mentioning. In the enemy phase, the last soldier tried to attack Halvan and missed. Eyvel robbed the soldier she captured and now Leif will finally claim his XP. Halvan handed him his Iron Sword and visited the village, where he found his sister.

Yjqwlvdv oBzuzfojc oO1uql9og oHtbd3ktz oTn5vjzhx o1kkayw9b oCvppxhut oD9g78zuu o

Is it a reference to the Lex event in FE4? Anyway, not bad. An early Brave Axe will be very useful.

Ozqc4llz o

Damn, can I really capture the Boss?

Ewqmhahl oRuf5obzt o

This sucker thinks I care about the girls. Nobody hit a blow. Let's try Finn.

22pxiwfg oV7phh1ac o

He landed a crit, a pity that failed to capture him. But on the next turn the enemy shall fall.

Ayueckta oMq4dyktt o

There is little left. I will try to capture him again with Dagdar.

Qxf01trr oCt9hxxsl oS5mpznon o

Success. The map basically ended up here. All I have to do is move Leif to the throne and steal from the Boss. I decided to give his Longsword to Leif because Leif was the only sword user nearby who could trade with Dagdar.

Cxuvfgbf o8quq49ah o

Cleared in 9 turns. Let's just see the end of the chapter now.

618sdf9d oDzvwln0m oTytdh9k2 oWkrtwh1g o

Yeah, the girls are gone, and now we have to save them. Do you know what that means? Adventure!

Apvgh7zp oYcdbadnx oX5mfmbsj oPbuznqqk o

Leif is noble with a capital N. I look forward to seeing what comes next, in the next chapter...

Ayvkq4fh oTh3wb0e5 o

Edited by Maof06

Spoiler
2 hours ago, Maof06 said:

My first contact with the franchise was in 2010, when my father gifted me a Nintendo DS.

So you still played the series longer than me.

5th2d00m oCcso4cnw o

They look like two parents watching their son grow up. And they are technically according to my last FE4 playthrough.

So this is the timeline where Finn had two relationships at once?

Jo6oxig3 oScjandfo o

Is this the game giving a hint?

Yep.

This one kinda matters.

(Minor spoiler, there's a couple of mechanics that will be hinted at in the text, but it'll be very rare that something's completely spelled out.

Bc6jqtej oLbuij4zt o

FINN STARTES WITH A BRAVE LANCE! THIS IS COMPLETELY BUSTED! His stats looks alright. Is he really supposed to be our Jagen? Also, why the fuck does he have an Iron Sword? Miracle was nerfed after its broken iteration in FE4, now looking more like the version of the latest games.

Eyvel's more of a Jagen.

And Dagdar.

Finn is kinda the third in line, but growths won't be as much of an issue as you'd think.

Jax2qizm oD8qtkfbr o

Wow, Wrath cause critical counter attacks. In a theoretical combination with Vantage, the character could annihilate the enemy during the Enemy Phase, provided he can survive all blows. Okay, now I understand why Vantage was nerfed.

Vantage walks so Wrath can fly.

37 minutes ago, Maof06 said:

Andhvuzx oKjinq8kp o6uwldt9c o

I will take advantage of her range and use Tanya to attack the soldier through the wall. Her stats don't seem like a big deal.

Tanya's not the best, no.

I still used her though.

37 minutes ago, Maof06 said:

Tksnnktt oV5kfqvhl o

AND SUDDENLY HE COULD MOVE AGAIN? WHAT WAS THIS? A MUSIC SIGN APPEARED UPON HIM AND COULD MOVE AGAIN!

Ah, so you've found vigor stars.

The amount a unit has is on the lower screen, only a few will have them but they are the cause of Leif getting a second turn.

38 minutes ago, Maof06 said:

Pr4lffke oXhncqbnb oXodtml3e o

Dagdar is good, but Marty is a piece of crap. Anyway, Leif successfully attacks the soldier in the village to the north from a distance. He should gain a level in the next battle he does.

Dagdar good, Marty not so much but he does have his massive build going for him, making him good for carrying enemies.

39 minutes ago, Maof06 said:

Finally, Osian visits the village and receives a gift, yay! This marks the end of the turn.

P4llnebd o7gqnck9z oYniro7kl oV8dg0hus oYt4w2vot oSq9qszk4 o

PUGIPUGIPUGI

This axe is super good, with it's crit and 1-2 range. It's locked to him too, keep that in mind.

40 minutes ago, Maof06 said:

1da8l8lj oQ44accff o67ankazx oVjaarc1g o

Was that the obligatory “back to the kitchen” moment or I'm reaching? Either way, Dagdar will attack the archer with his Hand Axe.

The two are characterised as bickering a lot, alongside his being a bit of a boor.

41 minutes ago, Maof06 said:

Htbd3ktz oTn5vjzhx o1kkayw9b oCvppxhut o

Is it a reference to the Lex event in FE4? Anyway, not bad. An early Brave Axe will be very useful.

This one probably is referencing that.

Capturing is really helped by the braves to be honest.

(The axe is also not locked to him, so keep that in mind)

41 minutes ago, Maof06 said:

Success. The map basically ended up here. All I have to do is move Leif to the throne and steal from the Boss. I decided to give his Longsword to Leif because Leif was the only sword user nearby who could trade with Dagdar.

Cxuvfgbf o8quq49ah o

Cleared in 9 turns. Let's just see the end of the chapter now.

Nice capture, getting the hang of it already

43 minutes ago, Maof06 said:

Ycdbadnx oX5mfmbsj oPbuznqqk o

Leif is noble with a capital N. I look forward to seeing what comes next, in the next chapter...

Leif is certainly not the most revolutionary lord in terms of his base character.

(I mean, I think he's best lord but even I'll say that)

Hey look, you put it up after all.

1tlr1p.gif

(I'll try to avoid spoiling things, let me know how far off I was)

I'll probably forget to check in quite often.  Regardless, good luck.  You're a braver soul than I am (as I simply refuse to play the game).

Spoiler
11 hours ago, Maof06 said:

7seqw3vv o

Ladies and gentleman, from this day I’ll be liberating Jugdral in Kaga’s magnum opus, Thracia 776! Since everything in life has its first time, this is the first time that I do a Let’s Play, an Ironman and play an FE blind! Here you can see firsthand someone's first impression of the game, complete with bad strategies, silly mistakes, mood whiplash and bad humor! I'm not a funny person, see the intro.

Nice, hope you end up enjoying the process of LPing!

Now seriously: I’m just an RPG fan who got caught in the world of turn-based strategy games (or to be more specific, Fire Emblem). RPGs have always been my favorite type of game, and since I was 5 years old I have been playing games of the genre, whether MMOs, JRPGs or of western origin. I never cared much for turn-based strategies, although I love Suikoden II, Final Fantasy Tactics and Pokémon Conquest, and even today I can't say that I'm well versed in the genre.

Fittingly all of those games go under the subgenre of SRPG/TRPG (Strategic/Tactical RPG respectively, and they mean the same thing), seen as a blending of RPG and strategy games. Well Suikoden II is more of a JRPG with SRPG elements, but I digress.

This is an Ironman - I don't intend to reset if any of my units die.

How will you handle a Game Over?

Yapmk7nx o

Yes, because most Genealogy players went out of their way to pair Finn and Lachesis.

I have always taken it as a step/adopted child situation.

Yeah, he took off with the girls and left his mooks alone here. How the hell did they find out where Leif was hiding? Are you going to tell me he is famous locally? If so, how did he stay hidden for so long? Anyway, now our heroes appear.

I think the next chapter (or is it the one after) that kinda hints at how that happened...

FINN STARTES WITH A BRAVE LANCE! THIS IS COMPLETELY BUSTED!

That thing is great for capturing...

so, why the fuck does he have an Iron Sword?

If you look carefully at his stat sheet you might notice a greyed out D after the - in his sword rank...

15 hours ago, Maof06 said:

Lbuij4zt o

Not sure if consider a more detailed explanation of mechanics as spoilers, so details in spoiler box, but it feels more like an incidental consequence of how Wrath actually works in this game...

Spoiler

So Wrath triggers whenever the unit attacks second, so if a unit with Wrath attacks an enemy with vantage, you will trigger Wrath. Vantage making them always attacks first makes it impossible to trigger Wrath...

12 hours ago, Maof06 said:

Ok, enemies are weak and have nothing special. Anyway, now the fun begins. In that case, Osian goes to the village on the right and the rest just moves north. My strategy in most games is as follows: always at the beginning of the maps I move the units as much as possible. I sent Eyvel to try to capture the first mook...

Did someone spoil that the house there is tied to Osian in particular?

10 hours ago, Maof06 said:

Tksnnktt oV5kfqvhl o

Perhaps it has something to do with a part of his stat screen whose meaning wasn't recognized...

Xodtml3e o

Dagdar is good, but Marty is a piece of crap

Ah Marty, the old meme. The only thing he is good for is taking captured units off of allies to release them...

8tprmjca o

Halvan killed a soldier in a counterattack and got that shit level up there, but at the same time, apparently his Mov has increased. Huh?

YOU GOT A MOV INCREASE IN THE FIRST CHAPTER? Damn that is lucky...random aside I do kinda miss the way the old terrible translation would declare anime to indicate move levelups

Ozqc4llz o

Damn, can I really capture the Boss?

You most certainly can (restricted by the normal capture mechanics), and all have unique release quotes in addition to normal death quotes (and in very, very rare instances there will be a slight change in the end scene if you keep a boss capture when you finish the map).

22pxiwfg oV7phh1ac o

He landed a crit, a pity that failed to capture him. But on the next turn the enemy shall fall.

I mean, he dealt 0 damage without a crit, its not that surprising...

Cxuvfgbf o

Well done, and there is his escape quote...

Figured I would add this warning, if you haven't already you should find an image hosting site, as you are very limited in the number of images you can directly upload to SF.

17 hours ago, Maof06 said:

8tprmjca o

How did I miss that? Lucky duck indeed!

Mov is low on pretty much everyone, but of course when it does trigger that's always nice.

Sorry for not updating this sooner, I wanted to read the replies only after playing Chapter 2.

Replies:

Spoiler
 On 5/16/2021 at 3:02 PM, Dayni said:

So you still played the series longer than me.

I didn't get anywhere near the franchise for years after that, so I think it's unlikely.

So this is the timeline where Finn had two relationships at once?

Finn's too pure. He would never do that.

Eyvel's more of a Jagen.

And Dagdar.

Finn is kinda the third in line, but growths won't be as much of an issue as you'd think.

Yeah, I learned it the hard way.

Tanya's not the best, no.

I still used her though.

She's lovely.

Ah, so you've found vigor stars.

The amount a unit has is on the lower screen, only a few will have them but they are the cause of Leif getting a second turn.

Blessed be them.

Leif is certainly not the most revolutionary lord in terms of his base character.

(I mean, I think he's best lord but even I'll say that)

Oh, I didn't want to speak ill of him, I was just writing what was going through my head since the chapter was ending and I had no idea. Oh, and I think that in terms of design, Leif probably has the best.

Hey look, you put it up after all.

1tlr1p.gif

(I'll try to avoid spoiling things, let me know how far off I was)

I am a man of my word. And you didn't spoil anything unlike Shrimps and Ruben.

On 5/16/2021 at 3:20 PM, Wraith said:

You my good sir are indeed mad, and doing an Ironman run of Thracia mostly blind will drive you to the furthest extremes of insanity.

Then I hope I can go full circle and become sane again after playing it.

On 5/16/2021 at 4:03 PM, eclipse said:

I'll probably forget to check in quite often.  Regardless, good luck.  You're a braver soul than I am (as I simply refuse to play the game).

Courage? This here is recklessness!

On 5/17/2021 at 3:51 AM, Eltosian Kadath said:

Fittingly all of those games go under the subgenre of SRPG/TRPG (Strategic/Tactical RPG respectively, and they mean the same thing), seen as a blending of RPG and strategy games. Well Suikoden II is more of a JRPG with SRPG elements, but I digress.

Basically "RPG on a grid".

How will you handle a Game Over?

If Leif dies or I fail a map objective, I will set up a poll on the page for readers to decide how to proceed: reset the map and continue normally or start the run again. Whether any units will be sacrificed along the way, honestly, it depends. I don't know much about the game to know how to get around Fatigue, so I'm leaving the rules vague on purpose until the time comes. I don't want to create an unwinnable situation.

I have always taken it as a step/adopted child situation.

Me too, but then Oosawa popularized it between the casuals and the damage was done.

If you look carefully at his stat sheet you might notice a greyed out D after the - in his sword rank...

I noticed that, but apparently cavalry can't use swords.

Did someone spoil that the house there is tied to Osian in particular?

The house is tied to Osian? I just moved him to the village because he was the closest to it, lmao. In hindsight, Kaga probably put him there because he thought other players would think like me.

Not sure if consider a more detailed explanation of mechanics as spoilers, so details in spoiler box, but it feels more like an incidental consequence of how Wrath actually works in this game...

Hide contents

So Wrath triggers whenever the unit attacks second, so if a unit with Wrath attacks an enemy with vantage, you will trigger Wrath. Vantage making them always attacks first makes it impossible to trigger Wrath...

Interesting...

On 5/17/2021 at 7:22 AM, Dayni said:

How did I miss that? Lucky duck indeed!

Mov is low on pretty much everyone, but of course when it does trigger that's always nice.

YOU GOT A MOV INCREASE IN THE FIRST CHAPTER? Damn that is lucky...random aside I do kinda miss the way the old terrible translation would declare anime to indicate move levelups

You can level up Mov in this game, huh? Neat, actually. What do you mean "declare anime"?

I mean, he dealt 0 damage without a crit, its not that surprising...

Brainfart moment. At that time, I was just thinking "Finn is OP, he can do it", so I was distracted and ignored the combat forecast.

Figured I would add this warning, if you haven't already you should find an image hosting site, as you are very limited in the number of images you can directly upload to SF.

Thanks, but I already reached my attachment limit before this, so Ruben recommended imgbox to me.

Chapter Two:

Spoiler

Well, time for Chapter 2. Since I'm a lazy busy person, I ended up letting a week go by until I updated the LP. I will redeem myself and post the next chapter as soon as possible, I swear. I was also looking for an alternative to screenshots - having to stop with every line and every action to save them breaks the immersion a lot, but I still haven't found a viable alternative. Anyway, I'm going to do it the same way I did in the previous chapter.

0tqgx3ch oDh7j58du oFks6gifa oDxnfo7tw o

After playing Fates, knowing where you are on the map is a good thing.

Oqsugmcq oMydyhmss oSpagvmr8 oBuqya7yt o

Bandits, of course.

Buqya7yt oJejwfbs1 oUxylgrcz oHw3ds3vy o

Oh, so that’s how the Empire discovered Leif’s location.

Nw7qdynr oW9hvvaxd oCu5axsvi oNwblg4hm o

Okay, now we have the moral obligation to stop them, don’t we?

Wfmk4uh3 oTgorj8z4 oBl8fuww1 oTr1wzydd oKp1v4wl1 o

Is that hint that this guy is recruitable? Anyway, we already have the target's name: Lithis. After we capture and steal his stuff, we can return to normal schedule and continue to search for Nanna.

Ozyqcnmv oFufpily1 oSqajfq9h o9lcpyrgy oAqvkq983 oUpdczugr o

Leif, being a hero, cannot let it all go. It's time for action. As I left them in the previous chapter, Leif has a Vulnerary, two Iron Swords and the Boss's Longsword. I think that is enough of items for now. Dagdar got a Shortbow to have more options at a distance, and Finn now has a Short Lance to attack in 1 range and a Javelin for 1-2 range. I think I'm going to give Leif his Life Ring (when in doubt, the stat boosters go to the Lord). The first enemy to the right of the village has a Vulnerary, so Finn will be in charge of capturing him.

Nbgtc5cy oXcrhqket o

Too bad he couldn't move after that battle, I would pull him back a tile and hand the enemy over to Marty. Now Eyvel will attack the other bandit with the Flame Sword. I put her in front of Finn in order to protect him like a good wife would.

Zh1fooje oBijgvioy o

She critted on the second attack. Cool, but unnecessary. Now the rest of the team is just going to get closer to the villages and the enemies. I'm going to send Leif to the right side of the map, since I want to give him some XP.

Cvforavi oBj95it8w oWdqs3dhp oZrzz7dhc o

As the bandits moved closer, enemies attacked Finn (who managed to deflect) and Dagdar (who killed them both).

Lbkznsjg oLkajgb10 o

I started this turn by transferring the prisoner to Marty and stealing his items, then releasing him. Thus, Finn will be free to act this turn. I will send Osian and Tanya to the north, where they can visit the village and finish off the two archers near the boss. Dagdar tries to capture the enemy in front of him, only to weaken him. The goal is to give XP to Halvan.

Afmvddpb oZ3yajyqb oYpyugd8j o

... Dagdar attacked 3 times in a row and captured the enemy. I don't know if I should be happy or angry, that was Halvan's XP. AND HE COULD STILL MOVE AGAIN! BLESSED MUSIC SIGN!

Vflsrzpx oKcdqgoh9 o

At least I got another Hand Axe for Dagdar. Now what remains is to move the others to find the other bandits. Finn visits the village and then moves again.

Hppek6hc o4bw0zot0 oYnz1dvci o

Halvan takes this Vulnerary from Finn and ends the turn.

Rs7ft6h3 oThd8jxum o

Okay, nothing interesting happened. Eyvel and Osian keep moving until they reach the village.

K4rl1qof oMi2bapv3 o

You would be being gutted like a pig right now if it weren't for us, sir.

Otpu6yfh oAd9lzr0z oMvjpstup o

They were literally going to kill every last one of you.

Ihxpuwpg oLqqx8ue8 oS55b0jvu o6wmfyb2h o

How nice of you. At least someone has not forgotten the manners. Now, next village.

Mgeysec8 oMfra3a8f oQrxd35ec oF60rthbk oVyexhco3 oOnit5mqf oPkoyaljy o7qbi9dla o

YAY, NEW RECRUIT! Let’s see his stats…

Inct1amp oAhdlfjgy o

God, he sucks. He doesn't even serve as bait, like Marty...

4ulyt3ip oDzs4gozn oXxgewqyd oIlj44x2s o

I will leave him as bait here anyway. I handed Leif the Life Ring and moved the others north. Enemy phase now.

Kwj67znn oGe3dnyzl oC9s694yv oWm0g0ahd o

And we already have the first Ambush Spawns in the game! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Good thing they have low Mov. I hope there aren’t many cavaliers or fliers spawns much in this game.

Anyway, the two archers decided to attack Osian, who dodged the two attacks. Unfortunately they didn't take the Ronan bait. Osian then, from his comfortable little house, will attack the archer preventing Ronan from moving with Vouge.

M44eizqm oPpg5wanq oRkf3hzin oKdiednta o

He critted and got this awesome level up. Good job, man. I hope other units gets blessed like this. Anyway, now it’s Ronan’s turn to wreck these brigands.

Skjxhw1i oPo3dcvty oM5uczewn o

… And he missed. Twice. Even worse, now Tanya can’t kill him (or even attack him; there’s a good chance she’ll die on enemy phase). I’ll settle down putting her on the forest tile below Ronan. The rest will patiently wait for the brigands to land.

Gzpztx9k oZ5wqoxmz oHzp3west oIqxewnmc o

Still shit Ronan, damn. Now, Ronan will stand on the forest tile in order to at least survive a hit. He will set up a kill for Tanya.

V0em3olj oEvdzvvyw o

Ronan had a 73% chance to dodge, and he still failed. At least the enemy was damaged and he survived. Now, it’s Tanya time!

M6drznh4 oSgedhjrx o

At least I can count on you, Tanya. The western bandits are what’s left besides the boss (the brigands that spawned are far behind). Finn will set up a kill for his liege using the Short Lance I stole from one soldier in the previous chapter.

R10shefb o7ckcpm2u o2eg3hwbg o

Thank you, Finn. Your loyalty is remarkable and Leif is pleased.

Nwonidy3 oJx0g4igp o

Will he level up the next time he kills an enemy? Anyway, Halvan makes use of his Brave Axe to dispatch the next bandit.

Enjbjkoh oR4qv66t9 o

This background is beautiful. I don’t remember seeing something like this in Genealogy. Anyway, Dagdar attack then the turn ends.

Yqk3b7nz oOmurqxsg o0eeqpz2w o6ftr3tc7 o

I’m getting really fond of Dagdar. Now it’s time to feed a kill to Leif, and I hope he levels up. Dagdar will move away from his spot, Halvan will attack with his Iron Axe and Leif will reap the benefits.

E4tzc4mw o7yhhgggv oXyiin5jd oIhgwb5v3 oKab9ubfe oUtwjisqt o

Shit. At least he got Speed, right? If I give him the Speed Ring, maybe he’ll start doubling. Well, there’s not much left to do. The enemy brigands are still too far away, and my units can’t hurt the boss. I mean, look at the fucker, he’s busted.

Bcwugdnz oTiyhy77b o

More enemy spawns. Great. I’ll just prepare my team to engage them.

Rlncs8ir o6078tvgy oCblt8dq2 o0sdyugrn o

Finn and Dagdar critted the enemies that attacked them. I’ll again use Halvan to set up a kill for Leif.

Main1l19 oLidq8wed o

… And he killed him. Is it me, or are the crit rates in this game too high? Now Halvan can’t risk fighting much anymore. Ugh. Finn will kill the brigand in the south.

B7a1aosv oKofeotws o

Nice. Now it’s time for Dagdar to level up.

Bv3pl8m3 oWtoz0ilb oOhous0sr o

No comments. I'm just going to move my units, use the Speed Ring on Leif and end the turn.

G264j3ge oI1vkev4n oOgkltqpg oMpznx84g oWctjgfyn o

MORE ENEMIES! GOD FUCKING DAMMIT1

Okay, calm down. They are weak, even though one of them has a Steel Axe.

First, it is time to heal. I passed a Vulnerary from Marty to Eyvel and hers to Osian. The goal is to hand it over to Finn. Halvan also heals.

Zkj07hqa oGbq2ynnl oQplmnqsl oAlde1vl9 oFqikxqke oPunxwrh7 oSfyo2b69 o

I took advantage and healed Dagdar. The decisive battle is yet to come.

Nsqcdxzu o69wgmdwt o9quta4nm o

I'll start with the easiest: kill the bad guy to the south with Osian.

Ajdfy7xj oLyszbqn3 o

And he critted. One hit kill, man. Now it’s time weaken the Steel Axe bandit; I want his items. I’ll start with Tanya.

Vxqnanf7 oUahmjksp o

Thank you, my friend. I was planning to bench you, but you’re useful. Finn can capture him now. He’ll be in a pinch if he misses and the enemy hits him, however.

L36fxbhg oVrgwzu7d oOk5qgrn7 oSxy0xqer o

Luckily, Finn’s a badass. And he got STR. Halvan is next: he’s gonna steal the items.

G9hpm8pj o9xbhrpxq o

With all that done, I'm just going to move my units and wait for the Enemy Phase to pass.

4qqd9wy0 oVygi7wcy oEcmkwmnn oKwmswdmg o

The enemy unfortunately hit Halvan, but in return he got this level up. Not bad. I mean, HP is important to take damage, and Speed helps him double (or at the very least, to not be doubled). In this turn, I'm just going to retreat my army. I have no way to attack enemies without taking too much risk, so waiting for them to land is my best option. I will however leave Tanya in the range of one of them, since she can take a round of combat and the enemy will not have a terrain bonus.

4is6qkkm oAjvrlsgs o

... And the enemy didn't take the bait, preferring to move the bandit with Iron Axe to the beach. No problem, Tanya will safely attack this bandit from a distance, as he will be defenseless.

Sjxx54f2 oPkjascel o

And success. Thanks to the Speed Ring I gave Leif, he will be able to double the enemy with his Light Brand.

I01g2jih oMv8q3s8j oQ9jeha5b o

He didn’t even need to double, lmao. That was problably the most awesome crit animation I’ve ever seen. Anyway, now I’ll probably move my army to fight the boss. Leif and Tanya can beat this brigand on their own, so…

0jd37xjq oBj4dt5lv o

Leif dodged and Light Brand’ed the enemy. Sorry for not screenshotting this, I was distracted hoping for a crit. Unfortunately, Leif can’t kill him in this turn, so he’ll return the favor and set up a kill for Tanya.

H2ibd2ie oSaujdbtf o

And he missed a hit. Damn. Change of plans, Leif will probably kill this one too. Thankfully, Tanya can attack him and survive 2 rounds even if the enemy hits her.

Gbegv40b oSi4se0ec o

So close, but unfortunately for her, Leif has the kill priority. The other units just move towards the boss and I end the turn.

Blzq1eoq oWhfxjnu0 o

The enemy tried to attack Leif, but thankfully, he dodged. Now it’s Light Brand time!

Abpmnqvw oEqb9ohc2 o

Task successfully completed. Now, the boss. I want to capture him like the last boss. I’ll exploit his Resistance weakness and attack him using Eyvel’s Flame Sword. Then, I’ll try capturing him with Dagdar. Finn apparently can’t hurt him, even with the Brave Lance.

Jzqhsigt oKaglcnu7 o

Yeah, nice, buddy. You’re still going down.

R88u9zkv o

EYVEL CRITTED HIM! SHE’S GOING TO KILL HIM! I DIDN’T WANT TO KILL HIM RIGHT NOW!

5s5uxckq o

R.I.P.

Vniwzzzv oZpdpsk2h o

Eyvel, why do things never go the way I plan when you're involved?

The only thing left is to seize the throne. Now I have to drag Leif’s ass while nothing happens. For now, I’ll see if there’s anything interesting in the vendor.

Lfa0kemu oZqiz0n8e o

Shit, I don’t have any money. When will the kind villagers who give us money appear?

….

….

….

….

Vlu5oa3x o

Four turns later, he’s here! Let’s see what’s in store for us.

O1jb8fe9 oY3gsrvna o

The guy who was with the bandits until you came. Don’t trust him, he’ll turn on you if your situation is dire, Leif boy.

Zlbmuxfl o5cbfuafk oCltmhhn1 o1h5ewlal oY7m2bymr o

… We’ll have to save them, right? Why can’t we just refuse the call and focus on our primary objectives?

0vorevif oR4l0twqt oG7zvgoo6 o

And he’s going to accept, of course.

Xfnxhuea o

What will happen now? We’ll find next time…

Spoiler
4 hours ago, Maof06 said:

Finn's too pure. He would never do that.

Yeah, that's on me.

The house is tied to Osian? I just moved him to the village because he was the closest to it, lmao. In hindsight, Kaga probably put him there because he thought other players would think like me.

Yeah, it probably was why in fairness.

You can level up Mov in this game, huh? Neat, actually. What do you mean "declare anime"?

It had that in the text box instead of levelling up Mov.

Ihxpuwpg oLqqx8ue8 oS55b0jvu o6wmfyb2h o

How nice of you. At least someone has not forgotten the manners. Now, next village.

And a Speed ring on top of it.

Very reasonable.

Inct1amp oAhdlfjgy o

You could use him as capture bait? Archers can be caught at 1 range after all, though you might as well leave him unequipped for that. He does have 3 Vigor stars and Continue too, plus one mov over Tanya until promotion, which does matter for some people and honestly is nice if you have him carrying stuff.

You wanna hear his growths?

Skjxhw1i oPo3dcvty oM5uczewn o

… And he missed. Twice. Even worse, now Tanya can’t kill him (or even attack him; there’s a good chance she’ll die on enemy phase). I’ll settle down putting her on the forest tile below Ronan. The rest will patiently wait for the brigands to land.

Missing 2 77%s.

Bronan.

Anyway, Halvan makes use of his Brave Axe to dispatch the next bandit.

It's not exclusive to him, but he's definitely capable of using it.

Main1l19 oLidq8wed o

… And he killed him. Is it me, or are the crit rates in this game too high? Now Halvan can’t risk fighting much anymore. Ugh. Finn will kill the brigand in the south.

Enemies having low stats should be expected, including luck.

It doesn't help with the low crit rates.

Wtoz0ilb oOhous0sr o

No comments. I'm just going to move my units, use the Speed Ring on Leif and end the turn.

My man got Str.

I ain't even mad.

Vrgwzu7d oOk5qgrn7 o

Luckily, Finn’s a badass. And he got STR. Halvan is next: he’s gonna steal the items.

Finn good.

Ecmkwmnn oKwmswdmg o

The enemy unfortunately hit Halvan, but in return he got this level up. Not bad. I mean, HP is important to take damage, and Speed helps him double (or at the very least, to not be doubled). In this turn, I'm just going to retreat my army. I have no way to attack enemies without taking too much risk, so waiting for them to land is my best option. I will however leave Tanya in the range of one of them, since she can take a round of combat and the enemy will not have a terrain bonus.

Yeah can't complain about getting speed.

The game is 4 Spd difference for doubling, so watch for that.

R88u9zkv o

EYVEL CRITTED HIM! SHE’S GOING TO KILL HIM! I DIDN’T WANT TO KILL HIM RIGHT NOW!

5s5uxckq o

R.I.P.

Eh, he didn't deserve to die at sea anyway.

Lfa0kemu oZqiz0n8e o

Shit, I don’t have any money. When will the kind villagers who give us money appear?

.....Do you want to know the truth?

In this chapter: Leif proves he's on the side of the ninja.

Edited by Dayni

Finally got around to checking this one out.

Spoiler

Inct1amp oAhdlfjgy o

God, he sucks.

Yes.

Use him.

He doesn't even serve as bait, like Marty...

Well, he does have 7 movement and 3 movement stars. That's something Marty does not have.

Uahmjksp o

Thank you, my friend. I was planning to bench you, but you’re useful.

She's arguably worse than Ronan because of his movement shenanigans and her lack of adept. Actually, her one and only real advantage over Ronan are growths, and growths in this game can be played around.

Still, I like them both, so I'm glad you've decided to use at least one. Shitty archers are the best.

Because she has like three proc skills and is the most awesome person this side of the Thracian peninsula. Mostly the former, but can't forget the latter.

Why can’t we just refuse the call and focus on our primary objectives?

If one of the villages had been destroyed, you would've.

But you don't want to. There's two extremely important units that only join if you go to 2x. You direly need them, not to the point where you're softlocked if you don't get them, but it'd make your life that much more miserable.

As to why such important units are in a gaiden map... Well, don't ask me. Thracia likes being an asshole.

Spoiler

What do you mean "declare anime"?

This took far longer to get an image of than it should have been, but when you got a move level-up on the old buggy patch was

ACtC-3d_wWhSy75S7yYDWLgrCZ4416ELloBzmvFW

Plus getting Anime on a level up is just kinda funny.

Is that hint that this guy is recruitable? Anyway, we already have the target's name: Lithis. After we capture and steal his stuff, we can return to normal schedule and continue to search for Nanna.

Ah Augustus, a rather fascinating character... you don't exactly recruit him, but you will see in good time.

I think I'm going to give Leif his Life Ring (when in doubt, the stat boosters go to the Lord).

Good choice, as he can really use the survival, although you might want to give the next life ring to someone else.

.. Dagdar attacked 3 times in a row and captured the enemy. I don't know if I should be happy or angry, that was Halvan's XP.

You might want to look closer at his skills, and especially note that it isn't a proc skill, it is based on the conditions described...be care with that skill of his as it is a double edged sword, and will occur even if he is unable to counter attack.

Inct1amp oAhdlfjgy o

Ah Ronan, a meme-y unit as well, but not as bad as Marty. Getting +1 Mov at base, a fair number of Vigor stars, adept, and a better than average Move growth can make for a fun unit, but he also has higher magic growth than strength growth (and no magic bows in the game). I have used one bowman each playthrough for funsies, and if he starts popping off, he is a fun unit.

Still shit Ronan, damn. Now, Ronan will stand on the forest tile in order to at least survive a hit. He will set up a kill for Tanya.

Yeouch. Although Tanya has her advantages as well with more hidden mechanics, so not a bad choice per se. Truth be told my first run had a staggeringly strength blessed Tanya, and she was a beast because of it.

Shit. At least he got Speed, right? If I give him the Speed Ring, maybe he’ll start doubling. Well, there’s not much left to do. The enemy brigands are still too far away, and my units can’t hurt the boss. I mean, look at the fucker, he’s busted.

Another good choice, as getting that Light Sword to the point that it could possibly double is a massive improvement.

Main1l19 oLidq8wed o

Do you mean that they are happening more than you expect based on the numbers, or that the numbers look high, as both observations hint at hidden Thracia mechanics. I guess the translation patch made one of them less hidden by listing its value for each character next to whatever acronym is in vogue right now...

Task successfully completed. Now, the boss. I want to capture him like the last boss. I’ll exploit his Resistance weakness and attack him using Eyvel’s Flame Sword. Then, I’ll try capturing him with Dagdar. Finn apparently can’t hurt him, even with the Brave Lance.

...Oh boy, unless you weigh her down with someone to rescue/capture, than she has a good chance of killing thanks to either crit or adept proc... (~55% chance of procing either  adept or crit if everything hits...)

R88u9zkv o

5s5uxckq o

R.I.P.

Vniwzzzv oZpdpsk2h o

Ouch....

Lfa0kemu oZqiz0n8e o

….

….

….

….

You could always sell off some items for money.Fun fact, one of the villages you visited in the first chapter suggested that if you didn't like the iron sword he gave you.

… We’ll have to save them, right? Why can’t we just refuse the call and focus on our primary objectives?

0vorevif oR4l0twqt oG7zvgoo6 o

And he’s going to accept, of course.

Taking the gaidens is generally a good thing in this game, as the kind of loot and recruitable characters in them tend to be vital. Honestly, the characters locked behind gaidens really shouldn't be optional...

On 5/27/2021 at 7:00 AM, Maof06 said:

Main1l19 oLidq8wed o

There are two mechanics at play here. Supports and PCC. Or FCM, as this patch seems to call it.
Anyway, understanding Supports and PCC opens up a wonderful world of 100% crit chances.

Edited by BrightBow

Ah, PCC/FCM or whatever, learning how to take advantage of that is fun, as the poster above me said. Also Ronan, he's a strange but fun unit. Those action stars are a bless more than a detriment.

Sorry I haven't updated the LP all this time, folks. I was busy with other things, and after finishing my Conquest Lunatic save I decided to finish my last Genealogy playthrough. I'm currently on Chapter 8; if all goes well, Sunday I'll be able to post Chapter 2x. I'm already answering messages here so I don't have to worry on Sunday. Check out my Patty's Arena shenanigans in the meantime.

UPDATE: I'm feeling sick today so I haven't been able to do anything productive. I'll have to postpone the update until at least tomorrow. I'm sorry guys, I didn't want things to happen like this...

Spoiler

Replies:

Spoiler

On 5/27/2021 at 6:35 AM, Dayni said:

It had that in the text box instead of levelling up Mov.

Yep, I saw it. What I really wanted to say is that I'm surprised such a mechanic exists in this game. In every FE I've played, Mov is constant.

You could use him as capture bait? Archers can be caught at 1 range after all, though you might as well leave him unequipped for that. He does have 3 Vigor stars and Continue too, plus one mov over Tanya until promotion, which does matter for some people and honestly is nice if you have him carrying stuff.

Actually an interesting idea.

You wanna hear his growths?

You made me curious so I decided to check it out. Please tell me that a magic bow exists in this game.

It's not exclusive to him, but he's definitely capable of using it.

I know, but it's probably the best weapon available to him rn, so he's going to keep it.

Finn God.

FTFY

Eh, he didn't deserve to die at sea anyway.

Yes, he deserved to die by Dagdar's axe, which Eyvel prevented from happening.

The game is 4 Spd difference for doubling, so watch for that.

Duly noted; I thought it was 5.

.....Do you want to know the truth?

Is ignorance bliss?

On 5/27/2021 at 6:55 AM, Saint Rubenio said:

Yes.

Use him.

I'm planning to rotate my army every chapter to avoid fatigue, so eventually I'll end up using him.

On 5/27/2021 at 6:55 AM, Saint Rubenio said:

There's two extremely important units that only join if you go to 2x. You direly need them, not to the point where you're softlocked if you don't get them, but it'd make your life that much more miserable.

As to why such important units are in a gaiden map... Well, don't ask me. Thracia likes being an asshole.

Fuck.

On 5/27/2021 at 8:55 AM, Eltosian Kadath said:

Ah Ronan, a meme-y unit as well, but not as bad as Marty. Getting +1 Mov at base, a fair number of Vigor stars, adept, and a better than average Move growth can make for a fun unit, but he also has higher magic growth than strength growth (and no magic bows in the game).

Ouch.

Do you mean that they are happening more than you expect based on the numbers, or that the numbers look high, as both observations hint at hidden Thracia mechanics. I guess the translation patch made one of them less hidden by listing its value for each character next to whatever acronym is in vogue right now...

It's definitely happening more than I expect. Apparently it's because the thing others mentioned, but I don't have the slightest idea how it works.

You could always sell off some items for money.Fun fact, one of the villages you visited in the first chapter suggested that if you didn't like the iron sword he gave you.

B-but I'm a hoarder, damn it.

Taking the gaidens is generally a good thing in this game, as the kind of loot and recruitable characters in them tend to be vital. Honestly, the characters locked behind gaidens really shouldn't be optional...

https://fireemblemwiki.org/w/images/7/72/Shouzou_Kaga_1994.png

Edited by Maof06

I'll be blunt: this is probably the last update, at least for a time. This is a combination of several factors. When I started writing this LP, I believed that my free time would be enough to start playing and writing some chapters. Unfortunately, it wasn't (I spend an average of 2 hours playing the chapter and writing and 1 hour to put everything in the right place, respond to comments and submit). A combination of lack of time, fatigue, lack of creativity and talent made the experience a little “unfun” for me. And now, with the new term starting at my college, the chances of me maintaining an acceptable rate of updates are pretty slim. It's a shame because I really wanted to play this game and share the experience.

Chapter 2x:

Spoiler

Now, I have to tell you the real reason I haven't updated the LP all this time. What I said about Conquest and Genealogy is true (and I haven't finished FE4 as of this writing), but the reason I decided to play them and not Thracia comes next. Without further ado, Chapter 2x.

Ch8rlhnh o

I already like this edgy guy.

Wr5kzqwb oN3h0m5au oT9gcmwvk oJ1jynju9 o

Maybe it's true. But why do you think this guy still has a drop of humanity inside him?

5bwvfqcv oAhtrmcqu oVjaxsdlf o

If I didn't know this is all true, I would call it bullshit.

2kc2apbo oBqcr04sb o4hd0nntj oDqbjhynx oPdtdcc4p oMsbtso4l o

And now he'll probably come over to our side. Is he the unit that will help me a lot during the game and that I can't miss the opportunity? So I'll just accept the help. Well, it's a good thing I'm apathetic to him, even after the previous chapter, as soon afterward all my anger was focused on just one thing...

E3gbv82v oHzoxlmjl oPfpizhzk o0cetzmcw oR2nkxhke oVocvjo7e o

THIS!

The moment I entered this map and saw all this pitch on the screen, I lost all desire to keep playing. I HATE Fog of War, it's probably my least favorite thing about FE along with ambush spawns, status staves, map-wide gimmicks and Defend maps, and I didn't expect to find a map like that early on in the game. You've probably seen in a lot of places why Fog of War sucks, so I'm keeping it brief here. I'll make it clear that I don't intend to waste too much time here; I want to finish this map as quickly as possible and go to the next chapter.

Okay, moving the arrow keys, you can see that we started at the northwest of the map. There are two large areas covered by the “fog”, to the right and to the south, which I doubt is the correct path as otherwise the map would end very quickly. Since Eyvel and Dagdar can tank any hit, they go ahead on the right. Leif will be sandwiched between them and Finn will protect his rear. The rest just follow.

Hni5pdxp oSmrrlb7u oFyv7ekwd o

I was moving them when Leif got a new action (and Dagdar doesn't have the Hand Ax equipped, dammit)! Blessed be the music sign. Now I must face a difficult decision: should I attack the enemy with Leif or speak with Eyvel? Well...

7yaxwrbn oE9urjlo5 oPztcrcnw o

I decided to attack. And Leif critted, leveling up and gaining SPD, DEF and LCK. Again, the Crit rates in this game are too high, I just hope it’s something only the player can take advantage. Now, it’s time to move our army.

Kgmp2ldw o2qqpckb5 o

With this, time to end turn. This map getting darker gives me chills. I hate fog of war.

A3r6yzyw o

Aaaaaaand nothing happened. Although I understand that the enemies are approaching. Ugh…

I should make Dagdar equip his Hand Axe, because I don’t want him defenseless against archers.

Qnjivfrz o4tnkqvsd o

Accost can be dangerous. Now, with some people out of way, Leif and Eyvel can talk to each other.

Denqlsxj oVqgdoqii o

Every thief is worth killing, Eyvel.

Uxwr4j83 oD30go2qp o

I guess this is game’s way of saying “Hey, you may capture him, but don’t release him!”

Well, I’ll comply.

Ghmspayu o

And now, another cutscene...

K0oxun0p o3netflpq oZxbkoqww oWzqwz4pi oKe10xty7 o

Yes, the sharks will be well fed with the corpses of your men. I probably should kill him. The enemy phase starts for real now, and uh…

Zlxrq0ty oZspkroo6 o

I was almost attacked. Damn, that was close. Leif could take about 2 hits, but think I was lucky that the enemy could reach him, especially since I don’t know how many enemies are out there. I hate fog of war. Anyway, Tanya will attack him and level up.

Fke2q65x oG820sdae oSchqybbz o

She critted once, and still couldn’t defeat him. Well, let’s see which stats have improved…

Ln2savoq oYyjav0hr o

MAG…

I really wish this game had a magic bow. And now we see that there’s 2 enemies right there, one of them with a Steel Axe. Well, Leif can easily take care of him…

Rpbwrwk3 o4oawabip oFrkekyhx oQbhjsefg o

See? Easy. But now I still can’t see shit, and I don’t if there are more enemies hiding to attack Leif. AND NOW MY UNITS CAN’T EVEN MOVE TO KILL THE REMAINING BANDIT. WHAT THE HELL?!

*sigh*

I’ll just keep moving forward. Dagdar goes first because he’s a badass. Osian and Ronan will stay behind, waiting for Leif and to help him if there are more enemies coming for them.

Cfaeb24p o4pwajngv oEtnsvokt oK8e4nhhc oSry5q2us o

Thank God axes suck. And now, it’s DAGDAR TIME!

Kthctgzq oTfjpzruf o3frpymlo o

Oh no, there’s another…

Xzwoypok oQogke937 oE6hj3eb7 o

This time, he successfully hit Dagdar. And yet another enemies emerges from the shadows before I can act again…

Odjtxrfd oY8h32cy9 o

I’ll just send Eyvel, damn the consequences… I hope she crits…

Exo9y9fj oJiemepi0 o

Nope. Nothing goes according to plan when Eyvel is involved. Anyway, he’s now easy prey for Halvan…

Zwkjwzzl oB34s9xat o

This guy has items too good not to be captured. TIME FOR THE BRAVE AXE!

Y87jy70b oA3ykw55m o

And a shitload of XP too. Now, a bridge was revealed, and Dagdar will brave this new land. But first…

W09n7qh6 o

Broken items continue on your inventory, huh? Can I fix them, just like in Genealogy? Anyway, it’s time to move on. Marty and Osian will guard the rear.

Une2hyrt oCn5nxkcz oCn5nxkcz o

That was, uh, disappointing. Well, Eyvel can move to the spot in front of Dagdar revealing an archer hidden in the dark. Dagdar can quickly take care of him, but first, Ronan will steal the captured enemy’s items for Halvan to free himself.

Fthvkqlm oJnvivfir o

I don’t think I’ll use the torch for now, so I’ll just wait…

And now he can move again. Blessed be the music sign.

Wzh9koml o

He can venture to the south, but should I do it? Leave him alone, possibly in the middle of several enemies, without being able to defend himself...

Pyxmyxyl oVltajior oPwgrq3q0 o

Fuck it, let's do it. Now I can see 2 enemies out there, but they can’t reach Ronan, so it’s all good. Dagdar is just going to kill the archer before the rest of the army moves.

Yr3mobs9 oMfokvtyp o3asdawam o

Done, but he missed 2 times. End of the turn.

Mlcz39fp oEbbqniqe oXqva0s7k o

And still nothing happened. There isn’t much to say (and do) here, just keep moving forward.

Htir8jbh oNpz9dner oTe9syexa o

Trying to attack Eyvel and Dagdar, these dishonorable scum have just walked straight to their deaths.

Xnd4nr1e o1uorcmsv oWzgjd9cp oNg2zlblr o5hrbdj8m oN7i5ahvy oGbb0zg3i o

Dagdar, you’re missing too much. If enemies could hit you, you would be in danger. Anyway, Halvan will kill Eyvel’s leftovers so he can level up.

P8piavhc oEg013uih oKxpjhywj oD5uamyor o

I would be pissed off about it normally, but what came next put a smile on my face.

Jz31gmoz o

Seriously man, isn’t this like, the second time you level up Mov?

Should I take a chance and send Eyvel in front of everyone to see what's there? Or should I just wait for my army to regroup? Well the answer is obvious.

Nriqy726 oKhbrggef oMnxtx6ki o

At least I gave her a vulnerary. Enemy phase.

Dkw0zcfj o1ip4klur o3pnbxikq o2ms1j1nj oMhgchujq o

All cowards. They are no match for her. Dagdar will finish you, myrmidon.

Jvfsxc6w o0holygt5 oMajx1ubl oX40l2hhh o

You’re missing too much, Dagdar. But hey, both you and Ronan could move again! Before moving them again though, Eyvel will burn the warrior to a crisp with the Flame Sword.

Kso7aryy o07yxez1n o

And now the way is clear for the legend himself.

1yw7s1we oMflsdyww o98ikmspr oUdqsx7qv o

BROnan. Thanks to the torch he used, we can now see the rest of the map. And look who's here, our favorite swordsman at least in this game. Let's get closer to him…

Hzoh2qup oThyklmu2 o

Nevermind. Fuck, how am I supposed to get near him without risking a crit? I have no choice, I must regroup.

Qhsp4hxz oO9suqsun oFesplxcr o3bchdbsp o

Look at this. What I’m supposed to do?

3xlwlww3 oM6rxvlyk o

At least Ronan could move again. By putting him near Dagdar, I revealed a bit more of the map. Thankfully, the enemies won’t reach them soon. Well, there’s only one thing I can do now. Gamble.

Xhvn8eyg oYnumsimj oLq8kqvcn o

If he kills Eyvel, I can retrieve Lithis with Dagdar. Even with reduced stats, I think the edgy swordsman should prioritize attacking Ronan, because he sucks. Even if I lost him, I would go off the map with Lithis and without too many losses. If for some reason Leif also died, I could end the LP here on the grounds that I lost the Ironman. Win-Win for me.

RNGesus, Eyvel’s fate is in your hands now…

Haqautb7 oC47z2ek4 oVeiuskx7 oSuefdybe o

HE DOESN’T MOVE! THANK YOU, KAGA!

G1zr5opw oE0ygaaxe oFdeskbfw oNjf6run9 o

Damn, I’ll need one more turn to seize the map. Well, it wasn’t as bad as I thought, even though Fog of War is always bad.

9nx7sjwy oOvtfh8zy o

It’s time.

Aicc0ntz oI37te7vd oGkqkxqko oM2b60maf oL2nsap22 oMutwrcp2 o

The Childhood Friend. Is she a love interest?

Ix5q3jq6 oJtlmkhba o

Nope. she's not.

Ozs6epiy oGdmgekvx oJsrzzyvc oLqgz9wwy oJv7egkpz o

This is going to be a long story, isn’t it?

Hdponnwl oBejurcfs oWthjyfho oKc4m5vu8 oYnduayca o6298179s oEseufxu3 o8gojczhz oBqrldhqj o

Shit, Leif.

Kqodd6h3 oX5nygwc6 oMhi3s93l o

Shit, Leif. Again.

5blb9fpn oZadp67zq o5adbxoi3 oOc7kihll oO6wqwhu7 o

Are you reaaaaaally sure?

Edy1xvkh o

Of course.

Shpjyqvl oVlxkioq5 oYesxlwul oL12gy2aw oWvk0mp12 o

He’s going to betray us, isn’t he?

3blaogam o

Well, it’s over, boys. Thank you for reading these three chapters.

Edited by Maof06

Spoiler
19 hours ago, Maof06 said:

I'll be blunt: this is probably the last update, at least for a long time. This is a combination of several factors. When I started writing this LP, I believed that my free time would be enough to start playing and writing some chapters. Unfortunately, it wasn't (I spend an average of 2 hours playing the chapter and writing and 1 hour to put everything in the right place, respond to comments and submit). A combination of lack of time, fatigue, lack of creativity and talent made the experience a little “unfun” for me. And now, with the new term starting at my college, the chances of me maintaining an acceptable rate of updates are pretty slim. It's a shame because I really wanted to play this game and share the experience.

I hope you stick with it, even if your update schedule ends up as unreliable as my LPs are, although if you really aren't enjoying it...

Is he the unit that will help me a lot during the game and that I can't miss the opportunity? So I'll just accept the help. Well, it's a good thing I'm apathetic to him, even after the previous chapter, as soon afterward all my anger was focused on just one thing...

I would say the cleric far more so (especially as she is the only hammerne wielder, and necessary for recruiting multiple units, including another healer...), but the first thief is a big thing as well. The first thief, and first healer's recruitment are huge things to hide in gaiden chapters. Plus you might want to look at that odd item in Lifis's inventory, as it also is some really useful loot to have around...

18 hours ago, Maof06 said:

Vocvjo7e o

THIS!

Thracia Fog of War is a real beast, although it is mostly contained to the gaidens. I seem to remember there being one Fog of War chapter outside of gaiden chapters...and one gaiden chapter without fog of war...

I  the Crit rates in this game are too high, I just hope it’s something only the player can take advantage. Now, it’s time to move our army.

Its mostly named characters that get those kinda boons, plus the player gets means to deal with enemy critis (barring Wrath crits). In fact, you should get one from Lifis's inventory...unfortunately most of them are tied to gaiden chapters ....

Jz31gmoz o

Seriously man, isn’t this like, the second time you level up Mov?

...Holy cow...its a blessed Halvan indeed!

Hzoh2qup oThyklmu2 o

Nevermind. Fuck, how am I supposed to get near him without risking a crit? I have no choice, I must regroup.

Qhsp4hxz oO9suqsun oFesplxcr o3bchdbsp o

Look at this. What I’m supposed to do?

Don't worry, he doesn't move until some incredibly late turn event (I think its something like after turn 20ish...). If you manage to capture him (but don't releases him, elsewise you will miss out on recruiting him later...) you can get that killer edge for yourself, but its usually more effort (and luck based, as you basically need to crit him to pull it off) than it is worth.

Shpjyqvl oVlxkioq5 oYesxlwul oL12gy2aw oWvk0mp12 o

He’s going to betray us, isn’t he?

What happens to Lifis is much funnier...

• 1 month later...
On 6/16/2021 at 4:18 AM, Maof06 said:

9nx7sjwy oOvtfh8zy o

It’s time.

Did you take the items off of Lithis?

I suppose we'll see if he keeps what he had on him when the next chapter starts.

On 6/16/2021 at 4:18 AM, Maof06 said:

O6wqwhu7 o

Are you reaaaaaally sure?

Ahh, naivety.

That aside, Thracia Fog is a real bitch huh? And don't expect it to play nice and it'll show up sooner than you might think.