What's Your Most Memorable Game Over Screen/Jingle?

What's your most memorable Game Over screen or jingle?

It can be for various reasons like favorite jingle or funniest / scariest screen.

most memorable scene

Spoiler

most memorable jingle

Spoiler

Edited by Zan Partizanne

Attempting to spare Sans in Undertale (spoilers for a 6 year old indie game?).

One of the biggest themes in Undertale is choosing pacifism or violence to solve monster encounters, and this is demonstrated in three different routes (two of the extremes, pacifist and genocide, and a neutral one, referred to as neutral). Sans is a goofy skeleton who makes puns and just wants his brother to be happy, but in the genocide route, where you are wiping out the entire monster population, he becomes more... serious, understandably. This culminates in the real final battle of the route being against him, and you don’t fight him in either other route. And he is tough. Very, very, very tough. Probably the hardest boss fight I have ever played in a video game. After the first half of the fight, Sans actually tries to appeal to your emotions. I said before they choosing between pacifism and violence was an important part of Undertale, and this fight takes place at the end of the most violent route, where almost everyone else is dead at this point. But Sans still seems to give you a chance, which isn’t something that has happened in a while in game, since you’ve kinda been killing everyone. He gives his speech about doing the right thing, and if you accept... he hits you with an undodgeable attack that will kill you. Then, the standard game over screen appears but the track that plays is a sped up version of dogsong, (what is basically a joke song in Undertale’s sound track, and sounds like dog barks but in music form (it’s hard to describe)), and the text is replaced with “geeettttttt dunked on!!!” And then followed up with “if we’re really friends... you won’t come back”.

Here is a video:

I couldn’t find one that included his whole speech, but you don’t really need it. He was just being all “you can still do the right thing!”

Is it weird that I read the title and thought it would be about the most memorable thing that led to the game over, rather than the most memorable game over screen itself?

I'm honestly not sure what the most memorable game over screen was for me; I remember certain ones very well for some haunting imagery or music, but I can't remember which games had those particular game over screens. The only one off the top of my head that I can actually identify is the one for Path of Radiance, and I wouldn't consider it the most memorable except in terms of actually being able to remember which game it was for.

The You Died/You Are Dead screens from Resident Evil are iconic for me. It was always deliciously redundant since the games never shied away from showing you what killed you in gruesomely specific death animations. Dark Souls has pretty much the same game over screen, but no curated death animations. Your character just moans and falls to the floor before fading away. That's something they could stand to work on since you're expected to die so much. 

I like Metal Gear Solid's game over screens, since you can hear the reactions of your support team. Fallout 1 and 2 had good death screen narrations hammering home how pointless this world can feel. Kirby's Adventure has a good scene where the Master Hand either wakes up Kirby if you hit continue, or gets eaten by kirby if you choose not to. And then there's also Ryu Hayabusa getting murdered. Good times.

1 hour ago, Glennstavos said:

The You Died/You Are Dead screens from Resident Evil are iconic for me.

Agreed. When I played Resident Evil 4 as a kid, the game over screen would always terrify me. For some reason I would always associate it with a frog for whatever reason. I was a dumb kid lmao.

Dark Souls as well for having seen it repeatedly.

If I remember correctly the scene correctly, Mortal Kombat: Shaolin Monks game over screens also scared the crap out of me as a kid. Especially in Goro’s lair where the little dudes would drag your character into the darkness while he was screaming. They were always creative on how you died in each section of the story.

That one Jurassic Park computer game where your character was like a robot looking dude that I never learned the name of. In one section of the game, if you get a game over, you see the character in a hospital bed with his helmet off, all cracked and damaged and what not. Idk but the sight of that always stuck with me haha.

Three Houses for never actually seeing it until my first playthrough of Maddening, and Fates cus I always liked it.

Kid Icarus for being a black screen with the text “I’m finished!”

And the Five nights at freddy’s game over screens. Especially the first one. Seeing those eyeballs hanging out of that Freddy suit is spooky.

And then there's also Ryu Hayabusa getting murdered. Good times.

I remember this cutscene from a Watchmojo video: good old but also incredibly creepy classic

Kirby's Adventure has a good scene where the Master Hand either wakes up Kirby if you hit continue, or gets eaten by kirby if you choose not to.

This is repeated in most traditional Kirby games. Only Dreamland 3 and 64 don't have this scene. These two games don't have a continue choice, so this is automatically explained. In Superstar (Ultra) - if this counts as a traditional Kirby game - has the most memorable scene when master hand sends Kirby to the moon (star), if the player quits.

As for Kirby, it's not directly a Game Over scene, but this losing scene from Kirby Superstar (Ultra) really got me for its creepiness.

Spoiler

• 2 weeks later...

Maui Mallard in Cold Shadow, an obscure 16-bit Disney platformer that isn't talked about enough, has a fittingly memorable game over screen. (I base this on the PC version)

Maui/Donald Duck is yanked by a green hand and dragged supposedly into hell, which normally happens when you lose a life. But for a game over, this happens on the hill w/ blue background seen on the title/level start/continue screens, after which four shocking chords play. Sad music then plays as a muddrake (a small tribal Disney duck) lays some flowers at Maui's "grave", takes off his hat/wig to briefly mourn and shed a tear before walking off......in his normal walking animation which makes him out to be happy (makes sense in context). "Game Over" appears from the top and the sad music ends; followed by two cartoonishly upbeat notes (by what I assume is supposed to be a tuba). It's like those funny endings to a cartoons episode, except you died. And that's kinda hilarious.

Spoiler

(This vid shows the Genesis version. The PC version has higher quality music; the Game Over sounds like this )

On 5/18/2021 at 5:48 AM, Zan Partizanne said:

Kirby's Adventure has a good scene where the Master Hand either wakes up Kirby if you hit continue, or gets eaten by kirby if you choose not to.

This is repeated in most traditional Kirby games. Only Dreamland 3 and 64 don't have this scene. These two games don't have a continue choice, so this is automatically explained. In Superstar (Ultra) - if this counts as a traditional Kirby game - has the most memorable scene when master hand sends Kirby to the moon (star), if the player quits.

Dreamland 2 doesn't have it either. If you continue, Kirby and friends wake up and go on their merry way. If you quit, a night sky appears from the top of the screen as they continue to sleep.

31 minutes ago, Baron the Shining Blade said:

Dreamland 2 doesn't have it either. If you continue, Kirby and friends wake up and go on their merry way. If you quit, a night sky appears from the top of the screen as they continue to sleep.

That's true, but what I tried to say is that in mentioned games you have no choice about continuning the game. In DL2 you have, even if the quit option triggers a different event - which is a nice one btw - than in most other parts.

Spoiler

Also I should have mentioned this before. I love that kinda silly sounding jingle in the beginning.

Edited by Zan Partizanne

Of games that I've played recently, Ghost of Tsushima sticks out as having a particularly brutal game over screen. Jin's body lies there after losing all health, and the player has to watch him either get beat on before dying or directly executed (stabbed, crushed, etc.) as the screen flashes red.

Also worth a mention is Crash Bandicoot's game over screen with the creepy face of Uka Uka popping up to make it memorable, lol.

The Doom 3 Game over is kinda good.

Normally the regular planet shot of Mars is used in the pause/main menu screen but instead an pentagram with an animated background is used instead, also the save/load interface is now blood red instead of the blue color similar to your in-game PDA.

On 6/1/2021 at 1:57 AM, twilitfalchion said:

Of games that I've played recently, Ghost of Tsushima sticks out as having a particularly brutal game over screen. Jin's body lies there after losing all health, and the player has to watch him either get beat on before dying or directly executed (stabbed, crushed, etc.) as the screen flashes red.

Also worth a mention is Crash Bandicoot's game over screen with the creepy face of Uka Uka popping up to make it memorable, lol.

Reminds me of Medal of Honor: Pacific Assault.

Whenever you run out of health (and The medic isn't out of healing supplies which you mostly use to heal.) you collapse to the ground helpless and have to hope he reaches you in time, if you're about to Bleed out, Tommy (the player character) will start hearing voices from previous levels (and dialogue seemingly from his Girlfriend/Father that can only be heard while in this near-death state.) just before he expires. (though you can be saved if the Medic gets to you just as the voices start I think.)

However Japanese Soldiers may also run up to you and finish you off, either via a Bayonet, a pistol shot to the head and I think enemies with Submachine guns just bash you in the face with the stock so you have to watch yourself get executed helplessly in first person if this happens.