[Conquest] Chapter 10 Challenge

Johnnie

I am here to issue a challenge for Chapter 10. Can it be completed using only 6 units, those being: Corrin, Jakob/Felicia, Niles, Odin, Arthur, Nyx? This means that Camilla and her retainers can't be used, even for Pair Up and that Effie, Silas, Azura and Mozu remain on the bench.

The rules:

Base game only. No Path Bonuses or Castle/Visit bonuses. Also no DLC. There is no limit to using what is already available, so early promoted characters or using your 2 Heart Seals are viable.

Is it possible?

14 minutes ago, SoulWeaver said:

I'd like to point out you haven't technically banned Streetpass content, also you forgot Elise should also be benched.

Whoops. Yes, no Streetpass or online of any sort, no amiibo, no grinding, and absolutely no Elise.

11 minutes ago, eclipse said:

Did you draft this or something?  Also, what mode?  And how much gold do you have?

Sorry, Hard Classic is the default mode. And you have as much gold as you've managed to get from Chapters 8 and 9. Sell Effie's and Silas' weapons if you wish.

As for how this came about, on another site we began talking about the "bad" units that hardly ever see use: Arthur, Nyx and Odin and others. I personally disagree with Odin and Niles being on this list, but the challenge is to use the game without ever once utilizing the top tier units other than Corrin. So after Chapter 10 would be no Kaze or Laslow, no Royals. Unfortunately the run has seemed to stall at Chapter 10 so I thought the people here might be able to come up with a strategy.

1 hour ago, Johnnie said:

Sorry, Hard Classic is the default mode. And you have as much gold as you've managed to get from Chapters 8 and 9. Sell Effie's and Silas' weapons if you wish.

Check and check.  Next set of questions:

1. What level are your characters assumed to be at?  This will make a difference in stat calculation.
2. Is forging allowed?
3. Can Camilla and Co. be used as meatshields, assuming you disarm them first?

38 minutes ago, eclipse said:

Check and check.  Next set of questions:

1. What level are your characters assumed to be at?  This will make a difference in stat calculation.
2. Is forging allowed?
3. Can Camilla and Co. be used as meatshields, assuming you disarm them first?

1. Jakob is level 13, Corrin level 12, Niles and Nyx level 10, Arthur 9 and Odin 8. All in base classes. Corrin is +Str -Res with Oni Savage.

2. Sure, as long as you don't grind or cheat for materials.

3. No action whatsoever, not even moving except to get out of the way.

I should mention I didn't bother doing Mozu's Paralogue since she's an illegal character and the Invasion maps are considered grinding in my mind.

I did actually make it to turn 10 under these restrictions, but everyone is dead by the end.

Edit: Also it's trivially easy to get all 3 villages in Chapter 8 under these restrictions so having 15,000 gold in resources at this point is probable.

Edited by Johnnie

5 minutes ago, Johnnie said:

1. Jakob is level 13, Corrin level 12, Niles and Nyx level 10, Arthur 9 and Odin 8. All in base classes. Corrin is +Str -Res with Ninja.

2. Sure, as long as you don't grind or cheat for materials.

3. No action whatsoever, not even moving except to get out of the way.

Well, this is a little more awkward!  Was hoping for Felicia, but eh.  Anyway, time for a few assumptions:

1. Average stats.  You may need to massage things in order to make them fit.
2. You have enough materials to forge certain things.
3. You have tonics available.  If not, you have something to spend your gold on!
4. You also have some food available.  What kind, I'm not sure.

Enemy stats are pulled from here, while growth rates (which are used to derive average stats) are pulled from here.

Without further ado, stats!

Name     HP  Str  Mag  Skl  Spd  Lck  Def  Res
Jakob    27  11    7   16   13   15   10    9
Corrin   23  13    6   11   10    9   10    3
Niles    22   9    5    9   16    6    7   12
Nyx      20   1   12    5   11    3    4    8
Arthur   24  12    0    9    8    1    9    4
Odin     22   6    8   11    8   10    8    5

So at a glance, many of your characters aren't far from base.  You may have some variation, since I'm doing straight averages.

At a glance, I can see the following:

- If possible, cook something that gives speed +2.  If you can't, give a Speed Tonic to everyone who has double-digit speed.  In Niles/Jakob's case, it allows them to double the sky knights (assuming iron weapons).  In Nyx/Corrin's case, it's to keep a Ninja with the Steel Shuriken from doubling them.  If Arthur/Odin have the requisite speed, it'll help!
- If Arthur can wield a Steel Axe, have him do so.  He's not doubling anything.  If your hit rate is too shaky, Skl/Luck Tonics can patch that up.  Strength Tonic only if he's missing kills by 1 or 2.
- Hopefully Nyx gained a point of speed, so that she can ORKO Oni Savages with a Thunder tome and said Speed Tonic.
- Whether you forge a Thunder tome for Odin is up to you.  Though the idea of Odin running around with a ton of crit for no good reason amuses me, even if the proc rate is low.
- Have Jakob pair up if Corrin needs to tank a lot of things.  If you go this route, have Corrin down HP and Def Tonics.  Oh, and don't do this with Oboro.

Don't be afraid to drain the Freeze staff!  You'll want to stop the sky knights in their tracks, since all they do is beeline towards the green area.  I'd need to play Conquest for a more defined strategy.  Hope this helps, even if it's just a bunch of general tips!

Yeah, that all looks about right. Unfortunately it looks impossible to accomplish. There's just too many moving parts among the enemies and by turn 4 or 5 a pegasus is guaranteed to suicide on Camilla's crew or get the green line. I think even just allowing Camilla and friends to be used for this chapter would make it doable.

Other possibility that you also haven't banned is buying Skills off your Logbook Units, just to mention that as that should be a way to give you a chance at beating the map...which I'm starting to think you don't want to do here.

22 hours ago, Johnnie said:

Yeah, that all looks about right. Unfortunately it looks impossible to accomplish. There's just too many moving parts among the enemies and by turn 4 or 5 a pegasus is guaranteed to suicide on Camilla's crew or get the green line. I think even just allowing Camilla and friends to be used for this chapter would make it doable.

You'd have to plan everything out ahead of time, and probably reset for certain levels.  I'm not dedicated enough to do that.

EDIT: Or allow Niles to capture units to use as meatshields.

Edited by eclipse

I didn't even think of logbook skills because I keep my logbook empty.

Anyway it is possible to do, but Camilla's crew have to be used as backpacks for turns 7-11 but I managed to not let them see a bit of combat and keep everyone alive.

It was actually a lot of fun to figure out but I don't think I'd want to do a whole run this way. It definitely gives you a different appreciation for how competent Arthur and Nyx can be, and how much Jakob can carry the early game if he has to.

Man, this is a tough one.

I know from experience that Odin (main) with his intended Cornflakes can take on any and all Onis west or southeast. That Effie & Silas/ Mozu/ Niles or Silas & Mozu/ Anna can take care of the eastern bridge and then hold the Pegasus ladies. And that Silas & Mozu/ Anna can take on and hold all western Onis.
The thing is that, even when Camilla is banned, I have always had more units (ten) to deal with those pesky Pegasus.

Jakob is somehow always six feet under by Chapter 8, but Paladin/ Great Knight Jakob would play the role that I usually assign to Silas.

Nyx would be a Dark Knight and Arthur… I do not know, I would say Paladin or Great Knight, after an early (Chapter 7) Heart Seal; so that he can gain access to more useful weapons for this chapter (Javelin and Iron Swords.) But if he calls dibs on the earliest Heart Seal, then Jakob will struggle to gain proficiency.
Niles would be a Bow Knight for the extra movement and might.
Mozu’s map and Invasion 1 would have to be played after Chapter 9 to ensure some thresholds are met.

Chapter 10 would finally be played as a defending map, even though it is actually a rout one.

I might try it, but I honestly never use Jakob or Nyx, and I doubt that the remaining party has any value afterwards (after all the early promotions.) If successful, the campaign ends after Chapter 10 anyway.

Here's the strategy I came up with:

Nyx had gained speed in her first level, so a spd tonic lets her double the onis. She takes out the first 2 onis on the left, grabs the 10,000 gold and Heart Seals to Outlaw on her way back to the center. She also had a str tonic and a +1 bronze bow.

Odin with hp, mag and def tonics can tank the first 4 archers on the right even without a pair up.

Nohr princess Corrin can one round the lower onis with virtually no damage in return. Niles with hp, str and def tonics can injure the approaching ninjas on the left with the ballista and counterkill them.

Once the second wave of onis in the south are done, Corrin pairs up with Jakob. Jakob can one round the second wave of spear fighters with an iron dagger and one round/one shot the onis and ninjas with a steel dagger.

Once the water is drained, everyone moves north. By turn 8 everyone is paired in the green zone and it's nearly impossible for anyone to die.

You do miss out on the dracoshield and dual club this way but it's doable.

Also no one is promoted.

Edited by Johnnie