Finished my first Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance run!

Due to my own laptop limitations, it took me a while until I finally got to beat this one. 

But funnily enough, the break I had to take from this game was not a handicap for me to enjoy the story (which is not common for a Fire Emblem game). I consider myself the "reader type" and while I was playing Path of Radiance I felt like I was reading a manga, that being, a complete story, which is a huge plus. It 100% felt like a journey. It was engaging and the progression was satisfactory. Not to mention the cast, what a wondrous cast! 

I played on Normal Mode, so the midgame was so easy it even felt a bit boring, but the new mechanics (specially the base preps) were a lot of fun. Sneaking through the base to see what my soldiers were doing was something I can't even explain why felt so good, but it did. 

Thanks to the captivating story and characters, lukewarm but fun gameplay and some excellent mechanics, I really liked this game andI'm looking forward to play Fire Emblem's first PLANNED sequel, Radiant Dawn.

Score: 7/10.

Since I'm a huge fan of listing, I will tell y'all my 5 favorite units (based on how much I LIKED them, and I'm not even really talking about utility):

1- Soren.

2- Boyd.

3- Ike.

4- Brom.

5- Rolf.

What surprises me the most is that most of Tellius' cast were genuinely good characters! 

Fin.png

Cool; it's good to hear about people playing this game and enjoying it.

The characters being great is honestly one of the most common things people point to for why this game is good. I'm not surprised by your top 5 characters; they're all good characters. I guess I'm only really surprised by Ike being below Boyd on the list.

Yeah; the base mechanics were definitely great. It was something I really missed when playing the 3DS Fire Emblem games, and while Three Houses lets the player actually explore the base as an actual location, it's always the same base, and it doesn't allow for the wide variety of base conversations that Path of Radiance has. Stuff like Ike asking merchants how they feel about Daein's invasion, eavesdropping on Boyd convincing Oscar and Rolf to help him come up with a new technique, and of course, Ike frantically hiding under Soren's desk in an attempt to avoid Aimee are moments you can't really get with the monastery in Three Houses because everyone's just standing around in one building.

I have to ask:

Spoiler

Did you win the Black Knight fight and get Nasir, or did you flee/run out of turns and end up with Ena?

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/19/2021 at 5:09 PM, vanguard333 said:

Cool; it's good to hear about people playing this game and enjoying it.

The characters being great is honestly one of the most common things people point to for why this game is good. I'm not surprised by your top 5 characters; they're all good characters. I guess I'm only really surprised by Ike being below Boyd on the list.

Yeah; the base mechanics were definitely great. It was something I really missed when playing the 3DS Fire Emblem games, and while Three Houses lets the player actually explore the base as an actual location, it's always the same base, and it doesn't allow for the wide variety of base conversations that Path of Radiance has. Stuff like Ike asking merchants how they feel about Daein's invasion, eavesdropping on Boyd convincing Oscar and Rolf to help him come up with a new technique, and of course, Ike frantically hiding under Soren's desk in an attempt to avoid Aimee are moments you can't really get with the monastery in Three Houses because everyone's just standing around in one building.

I have to ask:

Reveal hidden contents

Did you win the Black Knight fight and get Nasir, or did you flee/run out of turns and end up with Ena?

I can say I definitely enjoyed FE10 Ike much more than I thought I would, but since i'm stubborn, I still prefer Boyd over Ike, but the buff man definitely grew on my conceit! 

And if it weren't for laguzes' gauge going hill down after a couple of combats and the lack of support conversations, I'd say Radiant Dawn's mechanics fit me more, but that's not the case, FE9 has easily the best support pool in my opinion, they really developt the characters, in a way I was legit surprised when I got into them. So I absolutely missed support convos in FE10. I mean base convos are great but it's not the same thing, I still missed secondary units having their rightful screen time.

I don't know how to hid content but the answer is yes, same for Radiant Dawn. It wasn't even hard since both my Ikes got BUFF

1047116228_Endgame-Ike.thumb.png.83b11ea18302fc346c4bbc3b89613153.png

Endgame - Ike.png

On 5/20/2021 at 2:03 AM, Dr. C said:

Congratulations! Hands down my favorite game in the series for story and characters alone!

Nice to see Rolf get some love too!

My top 1 in both areas is still Genealogy of the Holy War, but you have my utterly respect for your fair choice, my friend! 

And don't you agree Rolf is the best!? I have a pretty solid opinion about Rolf, that being I like him a lot! Look at how my Rolf was at both Endgames:

Endgame - Rolf.png

Endgame - Rolf.png

2 minutes ago, Vondervent said:

I can say I definitely enjoyed FE10 Ike much more than I thought I would, but since i'm stubborn, I still prefer Boyd over Ike, but the buff man definitely grew on my conceit! 

And if it weren't for laguzes' gauge going hill down after a couple of combats and the lack of support conversations, I'd say Radiant Dawn's mechanics fit me more, but that's not the case, FE9 has easily the best support pool in my opinion, they really developt the characters, in a way I was legit surprised when I got into them. So I absolutely missed support convos in FE10. I mean base convos are great but it's not the same thing, I still missed secondary units having their rightful screen time.

I don't know how to hid content but the answer is yes, same for Radiant Dawn. It wasn't even hard since both my Ikes got BUFF

Interesting. Ike is easily one of my favourite protagonists of all time (and I don't mean just in Fire Emblem), so it's always interesting to hear a different opinion on the character.

Yeah; Path of Radiance's support conversations are easily the best in the series. I think the reason they got rid of it for Radiant Dawn was because the characters spend most of the game in separate armies, so the support system needed to be more flexible. But yeah; I definitely missed the great support conversations from Path of Radiance when playing Radiant Dawn. It also meant that all the new characters in Radiant Dawn that weren't main characters didn't have room to be as fleshed out as the Path of Radiance characters.

As for laguz mechanics, it's funny; I do prefer how the gauge works in Path of Radiance compared to Radiant Dawn, but I prefer how Radiant Dawn gives a lot more options for filling up the gauge and/or keeping it filled (that said, I did miss the demi band that I normally just kept on Muarim, who often ended up being one of only two laguz I used in a lot of my Path of Radiance playthroughs; the other being Lethe). 

I see. I was curious being, even with an Ike with fully maxed out stats, it can come down to RNG in the Path of Radiance version: Ike can't double-attack the Black Knight or do much damage per turn, and you only have five turns to beat the Black Knight, so you basically have to hope Aether activates.

Also, why did you give Ike the full guard? The full guard negates effective bonuses towards the user, and Ike is just a regular infantry unit; he doesn't have effective bonuses. And that Sonic Sword would've been better off with Mist.

Also, one last thing; you should avoid double-posting when possible.