Hardest unrecruited character battle (Lord, Final Boss and Beast excluded)

I generally agree with this list. Lysithea is still fairly frail as an enemy, so she can be easily dispatched with a brave weapon or combat art to avoid a painful counterattack off her enormous magic stat. I don't recall Ferdinand and Leonie being too difficult to deal with, but if you aren't expecting them they can cause trouble. Ferdie is usually called when overextending a flier to capture the ballista and open the chest in the north of the map, and Leonie emerges from the same spot on Crimson Flower allowing her to flank you with her mobility. If you aren't sending multiple fliers towards Ferdie in anticipation or left squishy units in Leonie's range, they can cause some pain.

I'd add on the reinforcements from the north in Gronder Field, Chapter 17 of AM and VW: Sylvain and Hilda. With a ballista in the middle of the map that can spread silence you're probably having trouble moving your mages forward. Suddenly, if you weren't expecting it, a high-movement Paladin Sylvain or a super strong Warrior Hilda armed with Freikugel shows up in your rear ready to tear through those squishies (or, especially in Hilda's case, most anyone). Actually, Bernadetta manning the ballista on this chapter is also a frustrating non-recruit to deal with. You want to kill her off but also not remain on the central platform to suffer Edelgard's fire trap. You try a flier who can attack and canto out and realize she's one of the few enemy archers in the game with Close Counter. Out-ranging her with bows is hardly an option due to hit rate penalties. Your mage probably got silenced by her ballista before you got to her (maybe a good map for Bow Breaker, actually). And your horse units can do it but can't canto out due to the stairs.

I definitely agree with Felix and Petra. They're annoying to deal with because they hit hard and move fast. If they dodge, it's bad news for you. I found Felix harder than Petra, but both are the hardest to deal with. I would also say Catherine can sometimes prove to be a headache.

Hilda should be on this list imo- she hits like a truck, she's not slow, and she has plenty of HP. Freikugel is a nasty weapon as well.

Sylvain is also difficult for similar reasons to Hilda.

Ingrid is fast and troublesome with Luin, BUT having a competent archer in your ranks makes short work of her if they hit her. I found Seteth a harder flier to take care of, because at the points of the games you encounter them, you should have more tools at your disposal to deal with Ingrid.

Lysithea hits hard, but she's quite frail. An easy counter is just using a weapon art or a brave weapon. She's usually not fast enough to double either.

Marianne