If Eggman gets in: Pingas or No Pingas?

Lord_Brand

Pingas Poll  

8 members have voted

1. 1. Pingas or No Pingas?

• PINGAS!
    • NO (PINGAS)!

There's a distinct possibility that Eggman may be added as a villain fighter to SSBU. Unlike fellow evil genius roboticist Wily, who already has presence as an Assist Trophy, Eggman's only appearance in SSBU so far is as a Spirit - and as Min Min, Pyra & Mythra prove, that doesn't stop someone from being added as a fighter after the fact.

So, the question posed by this topic is: If Eggman gets in as a playable fighter, should one of his taunts or win quotes reference that infamous little memetic line from The Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog? It wouldn't be the first time Sonic-related media has called back to it; both the Archie Comics and Sonic Boom! directly quoted it. As far as I know, the games have never referenced it before, but there's always a chance they could one day.

So...Pingas, or No Pingas? Place your vote in the Pingas Poll above!

EDIT: Just to clarify, the proposed taunt would be "Snooping as usual, I see?", not just "PINGAS!"

Edited by Lord_Brand

Since that particular Sonic series never saw an official dub or release in Japan, you'd have to imagine yourself as the intern explaining to Sakurai-san what the joke is, why it's funny enough in English to include in the English voicework of the character, and why it's still worth referencing in 2021. Smash characters aren't especially talkative, so it'd be taking the slot of any other great line they might cook up. So, that's a tough case to make.

Anyway, if you ask me, no. Pingas was never funny. I distinctly remember facepalming when I had to have it explained to me why that particular soundbite is funny to - I assume - a generation of kids who were encouraged not to say the word penis out loud. Because it's taboo or something. 

52 minutes ago, Glennstavos said:

Since that particular Sonic series never saw an official dub or release in Japan, you'd have to imagine yourself as the intern explaining to Sakurai-san what the joke is, why it's funny enough in English to include in the English voicework of the character, and why it's still worth referencing in 2021. Smash characters aren't especially talkative, so it'd be taking the slot of any other great line they might cook up. So, that's a tough case to make.

Anyway, if you ask me, no. Pingas was never funny. I distinctly remember facepalming when I had to have it explained to me why that particular soundbite is funny to - I assume - a generation of kids who were encouraged not to say the word penis out loud. Because it's taboo or something. 

To be fair, lines in Japanese tend to be different anyway, so they can always record something different for the Japanese version and give us Westerners Pingas. At this point it's as much because the fans who do like it would be positively tickled to hear it in an A-List Nintendo game. You could say it'd warm the cockles of their hearts. ;):

Edited by Lord_Brand