Dragon Quest XII, III HD-2D Remake, and other 4 Dragon Quest games announced

King Marth 64

I did saw that Square Enix just announced 6 Dragon Quest games on the official Dragon Quest 35th Anniversary Stream. Dragon Quest XII is the next installment is happening. Dragon Quest III (Arusu's game) is getting a HD-2D Remake that the layout is similar to Octopath Travelers. Two Dragon Quest X games announced (Update Versions 5.5 to 6 for Online and newly announce Dragon Quest X Offline). Erik from Dragon Quest XI is getting his spin-off called Dragon Quest Treasures. A mobile Dragon Quest spin-off game for iOS and Android. I'm more excited for Dragon Quest XII. Dragon Quest III HD-2D Remake looks pretty good, but sadly that I already got Dragon Quest III from the Nintendo Switch eShop from the Square Enix sale last year.

For watching the whole stream for the announcements, just skip it towards 23:40.

Edited by King Marth 64

I'm not generally one to get excited over video game announcements until we get to see a lot more of the game, so I'll leave general comments to others. I have to ask, though: Erik? Really? Was he actually so popular as to warrant a spin-off game? I found him the single least interesting member of all the main cast of DQ11 (unless you count the luminary, that is; fuck the luminary). I'm sure he must have been popular if he's getting a spin-off. I'm just surprised by it.

I understand the West not getting DQX's standard version, servers cost money to maintain, but very very very very possibly not getting the offline version? Oh come on! Why can't the West get that? 

An "HD 2.5D" rendition of Dragon Quest III in the style of Octopath Traveler? Looks nice. I'm expecting out it'll be exactly the same as before, barring the graphics change, and I bought and beat the game like earlier this last month or something, so I'm not interested. Japan loves DQIII however, so I expect it to make a big quick buck regardless.

Dragon Quest hasn't been afraid to experiment with off, so I think the Erik & his sister game should be good. I can understand why they'd go for it, could be some lighthearted fun seeing the two siblings do what they always wanted to, but didn't.

Dragon Quest XII, sounds to me like it might rock the very steady and conservative boat of DQ too much. "Darkness for adults" and modifications to the gameplay must be handled with utmost sagacity, else the Japanese fanbase will start holding the dev team's children for ransom. If you're trying to be edgy so DQ can finally make it big in the West for once, don't fall on the edge of the t-shaped sword you've wrought.

I was genuinely expecting DQ Heroes 3, since it is the 5 year anniversary of that game Omega Force's development slate is looking pretty bare.

DQ 12 concerns me. Those darker themes and new combat system make it sound like Square will get rid of the franchise's core identity, just like they did with FF.

When Octopath and Triangle Strategy got announced, it seemed like everybody was saying "wow, I don't want new IPs, I want them to remake games I already like in this visual style". Well here you go, nerds. Dragon Warrior 3 with a sixth coat of paint. And apparently 1 and 2 down the road, maybe they just want to do that trilogy chronologically. For me it's even more frustrating news since the trilogy was just released on Switch in 2019. Two years ago! Sure that version is based on the mobile port, but it had new graphics, that's more than a lot of Square re-releases get. And once again it's time for a version with new graphics and probably no gameplay alterations. Boring. Wasteful.

Dragon Quest 12 sounds like...well I guess it sounds like Final Fantasy 16. Dropping the menu based battle system, having a grittier world. In FF16's case it's at least returning to the series roots aesthetically and continuing a focus on action game combat established after three previous entries (four if you want to count Kingdom Hearts 3), but Dragon Quest was always bubbly and cute, so I'll be curious to see how much "Dragon Quest for adults" will be followed through on in the finished product. Will the puff puff massage be a sex scene worthy of a 2008 Bioware game?

Edited by Glennstavos

• 3 weeks later...

I'm way too much hyped for DQ3 HD-2D, especially for a guy who played all version and loved them all, or for a game that been released like candy.If anything, it is really pretty.

XII make me very curious, but all we got is an edgy logo. some words, and that the battle system will not be the samre. (Oof)

Dragon Quest IX remake never ever.