Trying to decide what game to get next Ori, Hollow knight, or The Messenger

Faellin

Which one should I get now?  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Which one should I get now?

• Ori and the blind forest
    • Hollow Knight
    • The Messenger

I really like the genre of all 3 games. And have a bit of extra spending cash for them. But at this exact moment can only really get one. But at some point I am definitely going to be picking up all 3.

So which one would you recommend first?

I already know all 3 are extremely good games. And I honestly can't decide which one I should get first.

Edited by Faellin

I wasn't very impressed by The Messenger or Hollow Knight, and left both of them unfinished. And haven't gotten around to Ori. So I'm afraid I can't vote in favor of any of these. I did finish Guacamelee and Axiom Verge though and really enjoyed them.

Hollow Knight is one of the best games ever made.

Ori and the Blind Forest isn't bad, but wasn't up to par for me. The sequel is much better, though.

I haven't played The Messenger.

I've played all 3. I'd recommend them in this order... Hollow Knight > Ori 1 > Messenger.

I would however put Ori 2 above Hollow Knight but still have to say that Hollow Knight would have the most "bang for your buck" in terms of hours you can spend on the game.

Just noticed Ori 2 is on sale right now, probably just going to pick up both of those since its within my budgest. While if I got hollow knight or the messenger I would have only been able to get one since neither are on sale on the switch at the moment.

2 games to tide me over for a few weeks when I can afford hollow knight seems like a great idea to me.

Edited by Faellin

• 2 weeks later...

Ori is the most approachable game and imo control-wise the most fluid and innovative. 

I don't get the hype around Hollow Knight. To me it felt oppressive just for oppressiveness sake and didn't respect the player's time much. 

Messenger is a different kind of beast. Yeah, you can categorize it as a metroidvania if you want but it's much more straightforward and has it's signature 8- to 16-bit gimmick to boot. It's more akin to games like Shovel Knight in my book but maybe I get the impression because of the similar pixel art style.

I'd consider also the recently released Astalon over Messenger if you like Igavania-styled explorational games. Really, really fantastic map design on that one.