Finished my first Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn run!

Just like in Path of Radiance, I felt like I was reading an actual manga when I played Radiant Dawn, so I felt really comfortable doing so. I find it being a simple but mighty well built story, with a complete world building, relatable conflicts and an absolutely stunning journey. And that was not me praising Radiant Dawn as a Fire Emblem game, but a normal story instead, which is a big compliment since I usually don't think Fire emblem has good stories.

But the characters themselves are no good. The fact that Radiant Dawn's cast is composed by over 50 units doesn't help, but my biggest issue with this game is the lack of normal support conversations. Apart for whose came from the previous game (mind you, a game that has support conversations) and a couple of exceptions here and there, I don't think Radiant Dawn has good characters overall, which is an unfortunate disappointment since I genuinely think the story is good. All I miss is support conversation!

Well, the story was somewhat chaotic, but good. The characters can be sumed in one-line, but those important for the plot such as Sothe, Soren and Pelleas are great. The game really punished my poor laptop for being too heavy for it, but was worth every second! 

Score: 7.5/10.

Since I'm a huge fan of listing, I will tell y'all my 5 favorite units (based on how much I LIKED them, and I'm not talking about utility):

1- Soren.

2- Sothe.

3- Pelleas (we don`t recruit him but still, what a character...).

4- Naesala.

5- Micaiah.

Fin.png

Congrats mate. Anyway, I'm surprised that you like Pelleas, because imho he's much akin to the second coming of Eirika, aka poorly written. One who's sensible would THINK that something requiring a blood signature would be suspicious enough to merit questions.... at least that's the way I see it; after all, blood pacts cannot be THAT common, can they???

Edited by Shadow Mir

7 hours ago, Shadow Mir said:

Congrats mate. Anyway, I'm surprised that you like Pelleas, because imho he's much akin to the second coming of Eirika, aka poorly written. One who's sensible would THINK that something requiring a blood signature would be suspicious enough to merit questions.... at least that's the way I see it; after all, blood pacts cannot be THAT common, can they???

Like Eirika, Pelleas' downfall is putting his trust in the wrong person. Eirika trusted Lyon, while Pelleas trusted Izuka. It's a little different, of course - the "Lyon" Eirika trusted wasn't really "Lyon", after all. But both of them make a mistake, and then they do what they can to fix it. I don't think that makes such characters "poorly written", as it does "flawed". Which I find refreshing, honestly.

For my part, I really enjoy seeing Pelleas struggle with self-worth and self-confidence. He doesn't trust in his own abilities, so he defers to those around him - whether Izuka, Almedha, or Micaiah. He's pushed into a position of leadership, but unlike protagonists we've come to know and love, he has no penchant for it. Even something as simple as Micaiah's self-assurance impresses him, and inspires him to get better. Well, somewhat.

On 6/2/2021 at 5:24 AM, Vicious Sal said:

Glad you liked the game. Yeah, it's kind of annoying the game doesn't allow for recruiting Pelleas on the first playthrough. He's a fun unit to use though!

Wait WHAT!? CAN I RECRUIT HIM!? FUCKING YES!!

I think my second playthrough is going to be sooner than I expected, hell yeah!!

On 6/3/2021 at 2:43 PM, Shadow Mir said:

I'm glad you didn't compare him to Lyon, at the very least. listen, I'm not going to defend Pelleas as a person, because if you tell me he did wrong and was stupid, I won't disagree with you.

However, I do think his flaws are due to a solitary childhood, since we all know his father, I can't think Pelleas had a lot of space to develop himself to be a smart individual. He was easy to manipulate and indeed, kinda dumb, but he had no other alternative in life, he was a victim, at the end of the day.

But what really makes me like Pelleas is how he feels inside, creating a breathtaking and heavy enviroment towards him, I love how hopeless he made me feel whenever he talked, that, my friend, I think is a good writting.

On 6/3/2021 at 9:52 PM, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

Like Eirika, Pelleas' downfall is putting his trust in the wrong person. Eirika trusted Lyon, while Pelleas trusted Izuka. It's a little different, of course - the "Lyon" Eirika trusted wasn't really "Lyon", after all. But both of them make a mistake, and then they do what they can to fix it. I don't think that makes such characters "poorly written", as it does "flawed". Which I find refreshing, honestly.

For my part, I really enjoy seeing Pelleas struggle with self-worth and self-confidence. He doesn't trust in his own abilities, so he defers to those around him - whether Izuka, Almedha, or Micaiah. He's pushed into a position of leadership, but unlike protagonists we've come to know and love, he has no penchant for it. Even something as simple as Micaiah's self-assurance impresses him, and inspires him to get better. Well, somewhat.

You, my good man, earned my heartfelt respect. 

I disagree with the FE8 part, though. 

On 6/3/2021 at 7:52 PM, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

....Aaaaaand that's the big problem. Izuka is about as far from trustworthy as you can get. Especially for someone who knows about his atrocities firsthand, like Sothe, and looking as obviously evil as you can get doesn't help. Eirika at least had the excuse that Lyon was her friend, so that, while dumb, is at least somewhat understandable. Hell, even Celica's trusting Jedah makes more sense, though I get the feeling part of that was because of Alm being in danger (thanks to Jedah himself, no less).

22 hours ago, Shadow Mir said:

....Aaaaaand that's the big problem. Izuka is about as far from trustworthy as you can get. Especially for someone who knows about his atrocities firsthand, like Sothe, and looking as obviously evil as you can get doesn't help. Eirika at least had the excuse that Lyon was her friend, so that, while dumb, is at least somewhat understandable. Hell, even Celica's trusting Jedah makes more sense, though I get the feeling part of that was because of Alm being in danger (thanks to Jedah himself, no less).

Izuka looks bad to the player - as he should. His feral experimentation alone makes him a contender for "biggest jerk in all of Tellius". But to Pelleas, Izuka is the man who turned him from pauper to prince, and reunited him with his mother. That's why he's loyal to a man so obviously evil. And part of his growth is abandoning that loyalty, when confronted by his "savior's" true face.

• 2 weeks later...