Nintendo Direct E3 2021 Thread (June 15th at 9 AM PT / 12 PM EST)

King Marth 64

I just saw this from GameXplain that it was just announced that there is going to be an upcoming Nintendo Direct focus on E3 2021 at June 15th. This is going to be broadcast at 9 AM PT / 12 PM EST and it's going to be around 40 minutes long + Treehouse Live Event as well.

Spoiler

Edit from June 3rd: I'm going to post the link of the Nintendo Direct E3 2021 Stream when it's time, be sure to check it at June 15th at 9 AM PT.

Edit from Jun 14th: Nintendo just pulled up the official Nintendo Direct E3 2021 Live Stream up for tomorrow morning. Be sure to mark your watch schedule to make sure that you don't miss out on watching the Direct.

Edited by King Marth 64
Adding the Nintendo Direct E3 2021 Stream Link and changing the topic title as well.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, Etrurian emperor said:

As for Fire Emblem, I'm at most expected a logo reveal for the new game. 

A logo reveal is actually exactly what I don't expect. I think that either they're far enough along in development that they can show something meaningful or they're not going to show anything at all. Nintendo seem to be trending towards shorter gaps between announcement and release, with the exceptions being for marquee hype-generating titles like the Breath of the Wild sequel. I can especially see them wanting to be careful with Fire Emblem after the repeated delays to Three Houses.

I'm not hoping for much since last year must have thrown a wrench in how much work was able to be done on games.  Anyway, the only two things I am hoping for at E3 is SMT V and Bayonetta 3 release dates.  All other surprises will be welcome, but my hopes are low.

Ok, Nintendo just pulled up the Nintendo Direct E3 2021 stream up on YouTube for going at live tomorrow morning. I managed to add the link in the first post and changed the topic title to make it as "Nintendo Direct E3 2021 Thread" and re-arranged the first post to have the Livestream Up to watch it. Be sure to not miss watching the Nintendo Direct at 9 AM PT / 12 PM EST.

Edited by King Marth 64

Hopes:

• BotW sequel info
  • Crash is CP10
  • New Kirby game
  • FE4 remake
  • A teaser for CP11
  • KH 1.5+2.5 on Switch

Predictions:

• More Skyward Sword HD info
  • More Super Rush info
  • More Splatoon 3 info
  • At least one Smash reveal
  • Padding
  • A new experimental IP
  • Memes
  • General sizzle reel(s)

I'm scaling down my expectations somewhat after seeing the other conferences. For some reason(probably covid) no company managed to bring their A game to this e3. As such I think it would be weird for Nintendo alone to assemble a solid lineup when everyone else so far has failed in that. 

I'll give Capcom credit for not being too long, and for announcing what they would be covering beforehand. Though I'm looking forward to TGAAC so having that gave a favorable impression.

Honestly Nintendo could just reveal a new Smash character and show new BotW2 footage and people would say they "saved" E3. Those things are likely to happen but hopefully Nintendo has other noteworthy announcements as well.

I haven't been following anything, so here's my random predictions for the Nintendo Direct.

1. Splatoon 3 news (I expect it to be the one of the main highlights, if not the main highlight, of E3.)
2. Smash Character Reveal (I'm thinking the may start with a reveal, with the ending being something else. // Random Thought: Doom Guy)
3. BOTW2 news (Likely going to overshadow Splatoon 3 if present, but another possible big hitter.)
4. Metroid Prime 4 news (Either something to actually show, or a message saying developing is still proceeding along for those wondering about it.)
5. Fire Emblem news (It's been some time since the last Fire Emblem, so there may be enough for a teaser trailer. // I'm just wondering if it'll be an Echoes remake or a new installment. A part of me also wonders if they may expand on the world of Three Houses somehow, although it doesn't really have a setup for a hard sequel like the Tellius games.)

Detailed Random Thoughts

Spoiler

[0 - 5] The initial opener. I'm expecting a Smash Reveal with some commentary. // The Smash Character may be covered further in a later treehouse presentation, or may even be one of those "releases later today!" type of reveals.
[5 - 10] General Introduction to the Direct. Also acts as the "anti-hype" segment, attempting to lower audience expectations by confirming what will not be covered (such as games under development, but don't have anything noteworthy to show. Examples include Metriod Prime 4 and Pikmin 4.)
[10 - 15] 1st Party Showcase A (Existing), perhaps Spatoon 3 if it is not saved for the later reveal. Otherwise, I imagine a title that is already known to be under development to be covered here, or a expansion/mass DLC/noteworthy ports to be covered. Essentially, a game that is hype to get the ball rolling.
[15 - 20] 3rd Party Showcase, but as I have no idea what may come to the Switch, I got nothing.
[20 - 25] Filler Segment, showcases a bunch of games that may or may not be interesting.
[25 -30] 1st Party Showcase B (New), potentially a new game reveal that is sufficiently developed to be shown off, but not as noteworthy as the finale showcase or the next segment.
[30 - 35] "Future Teaser," essentially a segment that is hype, but the game is still under heavy development and may see a release next year. Given the recent popularity of Fire Emblem, if FE gets a teaser trailer, I imagine it would go here. // Alternatively, if MP4 has something to show, it may be shown here for potential shock factor.
[35 - 40] The closing of the Direct which could possibly lead straight into Treehouse. Breath of the Wild 2 would be the obvious candidate, although Splatoon 3 could take this spot as well.

I'm still hoping that we get a Fire Emblem announcement at E3 2021. I also do hope that we get announcement of 2nd Bandai Namco rep (possibly Llyod Irving or an another Tales rep since we haven't seen Llyod Mii Fighter Costume returned in Ultimate yet) coming in Fighter Pass Vol. 2 for Super Smash Bros. Ultimate incase if they're doing reveal for both Challenger Pack 10 and 11 at the same day tomorrow like in E3 2019 when they revealed Hero and Banjo back then. I am definitely going to be directly watching at 9 AM PT and have my alarm set for tomorrow.

Edited by King Marth 64

• KH 1.5+2.5 on Switch

I'd be up for this, but if so, then please a more caring port than Melody of Memory is.

Anyways I'll just let me surprise as every year.

I have no real expectations, so I can't get disappointed.

Edited by Zan Partizanne

Given the last few days I'm expecting an underwhelming Direct. I'm guessing
-Skyward Sword: They'll show it far too long for a game we already know which eats up the runtime
-BOTW 2: Something very, very, very brief rather than something substantial.
-A new Smash rep
-Splatoon 3

And that's it. I'm not expecting anything Fire Emblem. In a normal E3 I would have but its clear the pandemic threw a wrench in everyone's plans. 

Initial thoughts during the Direct...
-- Initial introduction to Smash Reveal, fair enough.
-- Life is Strange, don't care for it.
-- Looks like they are starting with the 3rd party stuff first. Perhaps to get the boring stuff out of the way? (Guardians, Worms)
-- The JRPG looks interesting. Hmm.
-- Mario Party Superstars, eh? As a former Mario Party fan/collector (1-7, DS), it looks interesting.
-- Knew a mention of Metroid Prime 4 would be here, but Metroid Dread looks like something for Samus fans.
-- Think I was too generous with my prediction time slots. Here I am expecting minute or two trailers with commentary, but its more like 30 seconds with optional 30 second commentary.
---- At this rate, I'm expecting Splatoon 3 to be the main flagship title at the end of the trailer.
-- Monster Hunter Stories 2 or something, may be an interesting spinnoff but not for me.
-- WarioWare! Hype!
-- SMT5 looks cool. 
-- Danganronpa collection for Switch, eh? The expanded min-game may be the main draw for existing players.
-- Fatal Frame port, interesting. (Maiden of the Black Water)
-- ADVANCE WARS! ALL MY YES!
-- Age of Calamity DLC. I still need to pick that game up at some point.
---- I have a feeling BOTW2 may be covered instead of Splatoon 3. Guess Splatoon 3 is still too new.
---- Also, no Fire Emblem. A shame, but Advance Wars makes up for it.
-- Yeah, BOTW2 teaser at the end. Figured as much.

Overall, fairly interesting. Now to stick around for Treehouse as I get my detailed thoughts together.

Copypasting my thoughts from elsewhere:

*Say last announcement, turns out to be Age of Calamity DLC*

Ohh... darned. No Xeno, no FE, not like the "focused on 2021 releases" didn't deflate that. What have IS and Monolith been up to? Why are they so silent? Is Monolith but a delusion in my mind? 

*Ahem*

ADVANCE WARS IS NOT FORGOTTEN!

I don't love the new art direction -Drake is OOF!- and it is nothing more than a visual remake of the first two games. Nonetheless, the franchise has been dead for more than a decade, I will buy this in hopes it will contribute towards a true resurrection of the series.

Speaking of things to buy, Metroid Dread makes me happy. Fusion indeed has been the endpoint for too long. I actually prefer 2D Metroid over Prime myself, so I'll be picking it up for sure.

More Shin Megami Tensei V footage, some of gameplay, is great. The gameplay looks wholly traditional modern SMT, including iffy demon recruitment, it didn't say anything about changes to spice it up this time. The footage also left a lot unsaid, we've no hints of the story, no notion of the alignments this time around. Is the world going in a more open-world-ish direction? Will buy it day one regardless.

Advance Wars remaster, Metroid Dread, SMTV, enough for my Christmas tree this year. Thats decent enough.

Well, the Nintendo direct didn't really have any game I'm personally super excited about but it was ok. 

I'll go in reverse order for this. 

• BOTW2 is looking nice, it seems they want to include some Skyward Sword mechanics with the Sky exploration. But this isn't coming until next year (very probably late in the year) so eh. 
  • The Game & Watch with 4 games is nifty, I guess. Not that I'd go out of my way to get it. 
  • No Fire Emblem nor Pokemon news is the biggest disappointment for me. Mostly Fire Emblem because it's been quite a while since 3 Houses released, but I need to know if BDSP is going to be a 1:1 type of remake or if they're gonna add new stuff. 
  • Advance Wars remaster is nice considering the franchise seemed to be dead. I don't care about it, but I know many wanted to see it come back in some shape or form. 
  • SMT5 looks dope! This one's the highlight of the Direct for me, it seems quite fun and knowing how SMT games tend to be on the hard side for RPGs, I know I'll have a nice time with it. 
  • Metroid Dread is quite the surprise, I'll wait for reviews on this one before deciding if I want it or not. 
  • Smash stuff is expected, but I don't play Tekken so the new fighter does nothing for me. Doesn't help that he feels Ryu-ish in his fighting style, which is one I don't like to use. 

I guess that's all that caught my attention. All the other stuff went over my head.

4 hours ago, Zan Partizanne said:

I'd be up for this, but if so, then please a more caring port than Melody of Memory is.

Anyways I'll just let me surprise as every year.

I have no real expectations, so I can't get disappointed.

Tragically, I don't think we'll be seeing KH on the switch, though I keep hoping to be proven wrong. There was an interview (which I'm having a hard time tracking down, since melody of memory dominates any "kingdom hearts switch" google searches) in which Nomura said they tried to port it to the switch after Dragon Quest XI's success, but that they couldn't get it to work properly.

Advance Wars and Metroid Dread are definitely huge hype.

Samus Returns was good, but I felt like a lot of the art style was wasted on the 3ds. It was hard to focus on the details in the background because the screen was so small, and the colors needed more pop. It looks like Dread will be a big improvement on that, which is hype.

SMT V looks like... SMT V. Not sure what I was expecting, but I'll buy it, I'll play it, and most likely love it, so that's nice.

Astria Ascending looks good... we'll see if it's actually good.

I didn't really care for more of the stuff that was shown off. Here are my thoughts on the things that did catch my eye:

Smash Bros. DLC Fighter: New Smash Bros. news is cool, but I have no idea who this fighter is.

Age of Calamity: the DLC expansion didn't catch my eye until Aonuma said, "More missions in this game that occurred 100 years before the events of Breath of the Wild" The game's been out for several months now, and they're still lying?! At this point, it just feels like they're rubbing it in. "We really fooled most of you, didn't we?"

Skyward Sword HD: I find it baffling that they didn't say anything new about the game. Remember how, for Wind Waker HD, they couldn't stop showing off stuff like the swift sail and the other new things in the game, and the same for Twilight Princess HD? Combine that with the only QoL feature they've mentioned so far (besides the stick controls) being locked behind an Amiibo that doesn't even come with the game (unlike the Wolf Link amiibo for Twilight Princess) is baffling. I have less and less hope that there will finally be a left-handed mode that'll enable me to actually play the game.

Breath of the Wild Sequel: This pretty much saved the E3 presentation for me. Having floating islands is a great idea, mummy Ganondorf is as scary as it was two years ago, Link's powers now being tied to his arm rather than the Shiekah slate seems interesting and has a lot of potential, and the bokoblins now having mobile bases built on top of Stone Taluses is a really cool idea.

Kazuya's the second-to-last DLC fighter. Meh. Looks like I won't be getting Shantae again. One more shot for Crash! They may call it Smash Ultimate, but it's far from Ultimate in my opinion.

Hyped for Metroid Dread. When I saw E.M.M.I., I was reminded of Portal. Hmm...Samus Aran meets GlaDOS? That could be gold.

BotW2 footage looks promising as well, but...I hope Zelda will be ok. :( I was really hoping she'd be Link's companion this time, but it looks like she's going to be pushed to the side while Link goes it solo once again. Unless...maybe she gets her own story? While Link explores the sky, maybe Zelda tries to find her way out of the underground?

Edited by Lord_Brand

Since we did finally got a 2nd Bandai Namco character in Fighter Pass Vol. 2 so that Pac-Man won't be alone. I'm starting to think we might get Llyod Irving Mii Fighter Costume return along with new Bandai Namco Mii Fighter Costumes in Mii Fighter Costume Round 10.

At least we got a new Metroid game as Metroid Dread to be Metroid 5 title. New WarioWare game coming. Plus, it's good to see Advance Wars returns. The Legend of Zelda Game & Watch is pretty neat as well.

The ones I'm most likely to pick up are the new Life Is Strange (though I'll probably grab it on PC) and the Advance Wars remake (never played the originals but I am curious). Everything else is either "wait to see what the reviews look like" or just a hard no for me.

I wish that the new Zelda Game and Watch actually included the original Zelda Game and Watch game. I understand why they didn't, since a dual-screen clamshell design would be more expensive to make and not really do anything for the other games. And it wasn't even a particularly good game to begin with. But I still wish they had done it anyway. Would have been a big nostalgia blast.

Hm... I've not really been paying attention to E3 this year, I've heard it's been mostly meh with like one or two games to care about per day. Doesn't really feel like Nintendo had much of a bar to leap, and for the most part they... well, they lept, and people clapped, and that's about the end of that analogy.

• Kazuya for Smash looks weird, and I largely blame the super close-up camera angles they used. I'm also not sure how I feel about another fighting-game character who has a combo game. It isn't ridiculous like swordmen galore, but when it's a game like Smash whose original premise was to be able to smash Donkey Kong over the head with a baseball bat as Captain Falcon in Saffron City, and now so much of the games content feels catered specifically to people who want to play competitively, I kinda feel like Smash is really starting to lose much of the charm that even attracted me to it...
  • I know nothing about Life is Strange, but why does third girl look so... generic protagonist that everyone loves unconditionally?
  • Mario Party online might be fun. Well... about as fun as Mario Party can be before inciting rage.
  • I'm not a fan of Metroid (haven't played any of the games), so I never did understand any of the hype for Prime 4. Dread looks good tho.
  • That Dragon Ball game actually looks pretty good. I might consider picking it up someday.
  • SMT5 looks amazing. Does make me remember that Persona 5 isn't on Switch but Strikers is, but that aside I think this was the first game that I actually was like "SOLD!" to.
  • Surely that Danganronpa beach time fun time game will be available for PC, right? I already own Danganronpas 1, 2, and v3 on steam.

Pretty much everything else was just kinda... eh for me. I've little to say or even mock about them. Sure the Zelda stuff at the end was neat, but I've still not played Age of Calamity and BotW2 would need to share a LOT more before I can get properly excited.

I don't want to give Nintendo a pass for not talking about other game series, Splatoon Pokemon Fire Emblem etc etc, but they do put out Directs every once in a while, so maybe they feel they can be a little more conservative about the info they put out? Either way I'm not particularly excited for anything but SMT5...

Edited by Xenomata

12 minutes ago, Lord_Brand said:

BotW2 footage looks promising as well, but...I hope Zelda will be ok. 😞 I was really hoping she'd be Link's companion this time, but it looks like she's going to be pushed to the side while Link goes it solo once again. Unless...maybe she gets her own story? While Link explores the sky, maybe Zelda tries to find her way out of the underground?

Yeah; I was hoping for the return of the idea of Zelda being Link's companion; it was easily the best thing about Spirit Tracks and I've been wanting to see it return. I hope it is in the game. Maybe they're separated for a while and then end up reuniting and working together?