Let's Grade Some Gambits, Epilogue: Results on Page 4!

13 minutes ago, Shadow Mir said:

Make sure you restrict it to battalions the player actually gets. There's a good chunk the player never gets.

Good call. I have no intention of getting bogged down in the weeds between "Rowe Soldiers" and "Western Church Priests".

14 minutes ago, lenticular said:

It was fun. Thank you for taking the time to run it.

(I will also add that I did change my mind a little bit on a few gambits through the course of the discussion. That I didn't change my grades wasn't because I'm entirely happy with the grades I gave, but because I figured I'd probably be equally unhappy with any other modified set of grades I gave.)

Totally reasonable. I appreciate you taking the time to be a part of this from the start!

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don’t think rating every battalion would be that interesting. There’s quite a lot of them and most of don’t really stand out. What’s there to talk Alliance Infantry other than how terrible it is for example?

I think instead it would be much more fun to create a list of top 5 of battalions for a faction and a separate category for paralogue ones. It’d be interesting to talk about how a battalion like a battalion like Alliance Wyvern Corp compares to Immortal Corps or how valuable something like Indech Sword fighters is compared to Seiros Holy Monks.

I’d think there’d be a lot of interesting discussion to be made if we did something like that. 

Edited by LoneRecon400

7 hours ago, LoneRecon400 said:

I don’t think rating every battalion would be that interesting. There’s quite a lot of them and most of don’t really stand out. What’s there to talk Alliance Infantry other than how terrible it is for example?

I think instead it would be much more fun to create a list of top 5 of battalions for a faction and a separate category for paralogue ones. It’d be interesting to talk about how a battalion like a battalion like Alliance Wyvern Corp compares to Immortal Corps or how valuable something like Indech Sword fighters is compared to Seiros Holy Monks.

I’d think there’d be a lot of interesting discussion to be made if we did something like that. 

I agree that there are plenty of mediocre battalions. But we can't really tell which ones are, and which aren't, without giving each battalion its time in the spotlight. It'll give us some enjoyable use of the lower end of the rating system. Of course, cross-battalion comparisons can still be performed when giving them grades - just as Ashes and Dust is treated as a better Fusillade, while support gambits get compared by their relative utility (would I rather buff Strength, or Defense?).

5 hours ago, Dark Holy Elf said:

Thanks for running this, and I look forward to whatever comes next.

Glad to hear it! Looking forward to your future assessments.