Favorite Fates Character Tier List

Since Fates has such a huge cast, I thought it would be fun to create an entirely subjective tier list based on personal likes and dislikes rather than somewhat more objective traits like functionality as units. Share your favorite character tier lists!

I organized my favorites in order of preference within each tier, but I don’t expect that from everyone. I also count Male Corrin and Female Corrin and Male Kana and Female Kana as different characters.
Feel free to copy my list and move character names around if it’s too much work to try to remember them all or type them out again. I listed every playable character and some NPCs and bosses when I felt inclined to include them.

Top 10

Camilla, Jakob, Azura, Corrin (F), Corrin (M), Shigure, Shura, Felicia, Leo, Elise

Top 20 (I love them just slightly less)

Peri, Charlotte, Anna, Nyx, Ryoma, Reina, Xander, Selkie, Laslow, Siegbert

Kaze, Percy, Flora, Sophie, Izana, Scarlet, Silas, Subaki, Arthur, Hayato, Kana (M), Kana (F), Kiragi, Lilith, Mozu, Ophelia, Odin, Hisame, Keaton, Velouria, Orochi, Rinkah, Kagero, Oboro, Yukimura, Kaden, Mitama, Benny, Effie, Rhajat, Caeldori, Kotaro, Candace

Neutral

Setsuna, Hinoka, Beruka, Asugi, Mikoto, Sakura, Garon, Midori, Shiro, Gunter, Fuga, Funke, Nichol, Senno, Hinata

Mixed Feelings/Ambivalent

Azama, Hana, Ignatius, Iago, Nina, Zola, Soleil, Forrest, Dwyer, Selena

Dislike

Takumi, Niles, Saizo, Hans

Top 11

Laslow, Odin, Leo, Sakura, Kaze, Benny, Ryoma, Mozu, Felica, Subaki, Kaden

Top 20

Hinoka, Elise, Orochi, Dwyer, Kagero, Oboro, Ignatius, Shura, Flora

Azura, Effie, Forrest, Midori, Silas, Hana, Hinata, Nyx, Shigure, Shiro, Siegbert, Sophie, Yukimura, Izana, Scarlet

Eh

Fuga, Kiragi, Percy, Arthur, Beruka, Hayato, Hisame, Mitama, Setsuna, Kana, Takumi, Gunter, Caeldori, Asugi

Dislike

Rinkah, Seizo, Reina, Camilla, Selena, Corrin, Ophelia, Selkie, Velouria

REALLY Dislike

Jakob, Xander, Charlotte, Nina, Niles, Rhajat, Soleil, Azama, Keaton, Peri

Yay Thank you for asking haha. 

08537076-5F28-4809-9D36-C8B9ED1B6EDA.thumb.jpeg.0ab798e1a1ff493dd0ab975ee8d321a7.jpeg

I decided to make a tier list for this one. Sorry if it’s a little blurry. I was doing this on an iPad and I couldn’t figure out how to download the list haha.

Tiers from favorite to least favorite (characters within the tiers aren't listed in any particular order).

The Big Three

'Boro, Takumeme, Smolzu

The Grand Council

Velouria, Forrest, Flora, Keaton, Laslow, Leo, Charlotte, Midori, Mitama, Sakura, Reina, Kaze, Saizo, Selena, Kaden, Selkie, Hinata, Benny, Shiro

The Conscripts

Camilla, Hana, Soleil, Nina, Odin, Caeldori, Rhajat, Siegbert, Percy, Rinkah, Peri, Jakob, Silas, Sophie, Felicia, Beruka, Azama, Arthur, Dwyer, Gunter, Orochi, Hans, Lilith, Yukimura, Hinoka, Ignatius, Kiragi, Nyx, Ophelia, Ryoma, Mikoto, Sumeragi, Zola, Arete, Elise, Shigure, Kagero, Scarlet

The Convicts

Corn, Asugi, Xander, Kana, Azure, Effie, Hayato, Setsuna, Subaki (only because he's always a terrible unit whenever I use him), Anna, Hisame, Niles, Groan, Anankos, Iago

What surprised me is how definitive a lot of my opinions were.  Obviously the "Big Three" were characters I absolutely loved, but among the "Grand Council" I can't think of anything major that makes me reticent to place them there, and for the "Convicts" I had some fairly definitive misgivings about them.

What didn't surprise me, though, is how many I put into the "Conscripts" part (which is basically for characters I have indifferent or mixed opinions on).  In a way I'd say it's almost worse to be in this section than the one immediately below because at least I remember the characters I have a strong dislike for.  Half the time while looking through this section I was forgetting the names of the characters I was judging.  But this goes to show the issue with pursuing quantity over quality in this case - you'll get a few great or moderately likable characters and you'll get a handful of detestable characters, but more than anything else you'll just get characters to forget about.

If you were to contrast this to my opinions on Three Houses characters, and very likely I'm probably not gonna put very many of the playable cast into the "Conscripts" section.  There are roughly thirty fewer playable characters in that game than in Fates, and because of that the writers are able to put more care and effort into making them all more distinguishable than just random quirks that nobody cares about.  Even if this will at times make some characters almost detestable, at least we can actually have strong opinions on them instead of just tossing them aside.

Also, for the record, I would also list the two genders of Corrin and Kana as separate characters, but while I will say that I like female Corrin slightly more than male Corrin (partly because of design, partly because the few supports that are different between the two I prefer the female ones over the male ones), I ultimately dislike them all too much to place them any higher than I have them.

And I wish I could've put 20 in the "Grand Council", but I just couldn't justify putting anyone else up there.

Here's mine. I tried to fit ten characters into each tier.

• S are my top 10 favorites
  • A are characters I like
  • B are characters that I was fine with
  • C are characters I was indifferent to
  • D tier characters are the 'Didn't use as much'  tier
  • E are characters I didn't care for
  • F are the ten characters I didn't like at all.

FDMe9ZU.png

Edited by NSSKG151

Decided to use the tier list maker for this one. I didn't put any of the characters in any order by the way. As you can see, I just... don't really care about a majority of the cast.my-image.thumb.png.e9122aec9d17eb88cf61624b0c7f37a1.png

As much as I enjoy playing (and replaying) Conquest, I do not try crazy parties precisely because I do not use the characters that I dislike, regardless of their objective value as units. I later decided to do without the pre-promoted units and to reduce the party to ten members, which limited my options but allowed me to know the characters-units that I like in many situations.

• Favourites
Velouria, Odin, Ophelia

• Top units
Mozu, Elise, female Cornflakes

Silas, Sophie, Nina, Kaze, Anna, Haitaka

• Like but rarely use
Xander, Leo, Benny, Felicia, Flora, Gunther, Rally Man

• Neutral
Effie, Azura, Shigure, Laslow, Soleil, Camilla, Keaton, Niles, Siegbert, Ignatius, Midori

• Dislike and do not use
Selena, Beruka, Arthur, Percy, Nyx, Shura, male Kanna, Peri, Charlotte, Forrest, Izana

• Commits suicide by Chapter 7
Jakob

• Never met
Dwyer

Interesting topic we have here, but hey at least this gives me the chance to show my tier list now

edit: Oh crap I didn't realize that Izana isn't in this tier list I made but he's on S too before Niles, mans too funny. And the reason why Forrest is the lowest of all is because his character REALLY rubs me the wrong way...I was hesitant to put him on my dislikes because apparently it's homophobic to hate him now???

also you guys are too cruel to Azama ;-;

my-image.png

Edited by DarkSage861

Writing this out would have been a lot of work. To an extend it still was.

Not everyone is sorted in precise order(a precise order in an ''indifferent'' category would have been silly) but this is roughly how I feel about most characters. The ones I love, like, am indifferent towards, dislike or HATE. 

-Love is for characters I love
-Like is for characters I have a mostly favorable opinion towards. Or at least not a particularly negative one towards
-Indifferent is for characters that bore me and who I don't think much about
-Dislike is for characters I find either incredibly unsympathetic(Hana/Ophelia) or those who's gimmicks just don't appeal to me at all (Setsuna/wolves)
-Hate is for characters who's presence I consider to be a complete blight on the game.

image.thumb.png.909940cf70036d3341c7d09f093db4c9.png

Edited by Etrurian emperor

Here's mine haha. It's kinda rough in the middle cause I didn't realize that there was so many characters and there were several I never really used. On top of that, my only knowledge of the child characters is from Heirs of Fate -- but I felt like I got a good idea of them from Heirs of Fate.

If you guys wanna try it out, here's a link to a sorting "game" thing for all the series, and you can choose which game you want to sort.

and tbh nothing will ever top my love for the only 2 male pegasus knights in the whole series

my-image.thumb.png.c5ea204110566dd2c40521cbd619ee1b.png

Edited by LJ_Tenma

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/8/2021 at 2:34 AM, Ertrick36 said:

What surprised me is how definitive a lot of my opinions were.  Obviously the "Big Three" were characters I absolutely loved, but among the "Grand Council" I can't think of anything major that makes me reticent to place them there, and for the "Convicts" I had some fairly definitive misgivings about them.

What didn't surprise me, though, is how many I put into the "Conscripts" part (which is basically for characters I have indifferent or mixed opinions on).  In a way I'd say it's almost worse to be in this section than the one immediately below because at least I remember the characters I have a strong dislike for.  Half the time while looking through this section I was forgetting the names of the characters I was judging.  But this goes to show the issue with pursuing quantity over quality in this case - you'll get a few great or moderately likable characters and you'll get a handful of detestable characters, but more than anything else you'll just get characters to forget about.

If you were to contrast this to my opinions on Three Houses characters, and very likely I'm probably not gonna put very many of the playable cast into the "Conscripts" section.  There are roughly thirty fewer playable characters in that game than in Fates, and because of that the writers are able to put more care and effort into making them all more distinguishable than just random quirks that nobody cares about.  Even if this will at times make some characters almost detestable, at least we can actually have strong opinions on them instead of just tossing them aside.

(I have been reading this topic a little, but haven't had as much time to reply as I would like due to the 30th anniversary of Sonic the Hedgehog happening around the same time and working on this piece.)

That's sound logic, but for me I felt the opposite way. I’m indifferent towards most of the cast in Three Houses, with a few characters I strongly like, a few I strongly dislike, a few I have mixed feelings about, and the majority of the cast fall into a neutral category. I feel that way about Shadows of Valentia, too. There are a few characters I strongly like, and while I have misgivings about a few characters, I don't dislike them as strongly as the characters I dislike in Fates and Awakening. I feel neutral about most of the Shadows of Valentia cast, if not slightly more positive than negative.

I would have a hard time making a tier list for Shadows of Valentia or Three Houses (and Shadow Dragon even more so) since I have neutral opinions on most of the characters in those games. Shadow Dragon would be even harder since many of the characters only have a couple lines.

• 4 weeks later...

I’m surprised how much I enjoy seeing other people’s lists. Some characters are more popular than I expected (Hayato, Hisame, the Hoshidan royals, Saizo.)

Some are less. Of the frequently disliked characters, the ones that puzzled me the most are Jakob and Yukimura. I suppose Jakob can sometimes be abrasive, but he’s cut from the same cloth as characters like Frederick, Hubert, Sothe and Soren, who are deeply devoted to a main character, but unfriendly to most others. Sothe and Soren are much more abrasive than Jakob, and I’m very fond of them, too.

With Yukimura, I have no clue what is so off-putting about him to some people, since he has such a neutral and mild personality. Maybe that makes him boring, though for me, being boring would put a character in the Neutral tier.

3 hours ago, Magenta Fantasies said:

Some are less. Of the frequently disliked characters, the ones that puzzled me the most are Jakob and Yukimura. I suppose Jakob can sometimes be abrasive, but he’s cut from the same cloth as characters like Frederick, Hubert, Sothe and Soren, who are deeply devoted to a main character, but unfriendly to most others. Sothe and Soren are much more abrasive than Jakob, and I’m very fond of them, too.

Bolded is probably where most people disagree with you. For me, personally, I find Jakob far more abrasive than any other Frederick/Sothe/Soren type character, by a very significant degree and with very few exceptions. Jakob takes things way beyond what most any of those other characters do.

On 7/25/2021 at 11:40 PM, Fire Emblem Fan said:

Bolded is probably where most people disagree with you. For me, personally, I find Jakob far more abrasive than any other Frederick/Sothe/Soren type character, by a very significant degree and with very few exceptions. Jakob takes things way beyond what most any of those other characters do.

What softens Jakob for me is that he’s usually right (or at least has a point), he’s often trying to be helpful with his candid comments, and his snark is hilarious. Soren and Sothe rarely if ever say anything funny, though I admit it’s a bit of a skewed comparison, since Jakob has far more supports than Sothe and Soren put together.

Speaking of rarely saying anything funny, I’m surprised how many people like Saizo, who I can’t stand. Maybe he gets a pass for being a “badass ninja.” He’s very abrasive and ungrateful towards most of the cast, even hostile in his supports with Kaze for no reason, and is completely unlikeable in all but a couple supports. He even drove Laslow to tears.

On the other hand, Jakob is blunt and (for me, hilariously) snarky, but much of the time that’s just him being honest and helpful in a roundabout way.

• 1 month later...

At long last, here is my own tier list!

a3e9a25816443a06df2031074639c0b6decc249a

Fates (Conquest in particular) has my favorite cast of any Fire Emblem game by a significant margin.

I shifted around a few characters from my earlier list for various reasons (e.g. I like Dwyer better if he is Corrin’s son, but overall I dislike him enough to put him in the Strongly Dislike category) though there aren’t any drastic changes from my original list.

Some additional notes:

-I prefer female Corrin to male Corrin by a small margin, and male Kana to female Kana by a larger margin.

-Sadly, Anna isn’t part of this tier list maker. She would be in the Top 20 between Xander and Selkie.

-Likewise, Kotaro and Candace would be at the end of the “Like” section after Kaden and before Setsuna.

-Funke, Nichol and Senno would be at the end of the “Neutral” section in that order just before Hinata.

-Zola would be in the middle of the “Ambivalent” section between Ignatius and Nina.

• 2 months later...
On 6/8/2021 at 12:44 AM, JAZ_2002 said:

Yay Thank you for asking haha. 

08537076-5F28-4809-9D36-C8B9ED1B6EDA.thumb.jpeg.0ab798e1a1ff493dd0ab975ee8d321a7.jpeg

I decided to make a tier list for this one. Sorry if it’s a little blurry. I was doing this on an iPad and I couldn’t figure out how to download the list haha.

On 6/8/2021 at 1:57 PM, NSSKG151 said:

Here's mine. I tried to fit ten characters into each tier.

• S are my top 10 favorites
  • A are characters I like
  • B are characters that I was fine with
  • C are characters I was indifferent to
  • D tier characters are the 'Didn't use as much'  tier
  • E are characters I didn't care for
  • F are the ten characters I didn't like at all.

FDMe9ZU.png

I happened to revisit this topic and just noticed your tier lists have Anna. I couldn’t find a Fates tier maker including her. Or did you edit her in? If there is a tier maker out there with Anna, might remake my tier list. I really like Anna and probably would add her to my top 20.

image.png.d3cf85c2c7e078d1c406e972024e4853.png

This is the only truth of the world, Reina is ahead of every other character by miles.

also PSA: anyone who says ''fates characters or boring'' or ''fates characters are one-note'' obviously haven't read the supports, they probably assume it's like the story, which it is not. If anyone replies with ''beruka saizo support'' trying to be the funny guy, what can fates never have joke supports or a few bad ones? Every FE character is one note without supports, what separates a Sain from a Laslow? Laslow's personality come from his anxiety and it's the way his mother taught him to get over it because she was taught to do the same by Maribelle in Awakening.  

Edited by Theghostcreator

12 hours ago, Theghostcreator said:

anyone who says ''fates characters or boring'' or ''fates characters are one-note'' obviously haven't read the supports

Hi, a guy who has read every single support conversation in Fates here. Several characters are pretty one-note and take the concept of relying on a single trope to aggravating levels. And that's all I'll say about it. 🙂 

1 hour ago, Fire Emblem Fan said:

Hi, a guy who has read every single support conversation in Fates here. Several characters are pretty one-note and take the concept of relying on a single trope to aggravating levels. And that's all I'll say about it. 🙂 

Hi, also a guy who has read every single support conversation in Fates here. Even though some characters are one-note or take the concept of relying on a trope to aggravating levels, you're conveniently leaving out the detail that this issue is not unique to Fates, may I introduce Sain, Kent, Alan, Lance, Marcus, Serra, Seth, Erk, and many more. And that's all I'll say about it  🙂 

At the very least most one note fates characters are given a reason why they're the way they are, there are still exceptions but like the word exception implies, they're the exception, not the rule.

Edited by Theghostcreator
added one more line for clarification

45 minutes ago, Theghostcreator said:

you're conveniently leaving out the detail that this issue is not unique to Fates, may I introduce Sain, Kent, Alan, Lance, Marcus, Serra, Seth, Erk, and many more. And that's all I'll say about it  🙂 

Well, since you edited your comment to add more after saying that's all you'll say about it, I guess I'll add something too. 🙂 

Nothing was conveniently left out, and obviously this isn't an issue unique to Fates. Alan, Lance, Marcus, and Serra all definitely have a problem with this. But compared to Blazing Blade, Sacred Stones, Path of Radiance, Awakening, Echoes, Three Houses, or even old-timey Genealogy of the Holy War, Fates does it FAR worse. There's a reason it gets the most criticism for this, and it's a good one.

The original point was to show that saying "if you think this, you OBVIOUSLY didn't read the supports!" is silly, reductive, and dismissive, only serving the purpose of writing off everyone else's opinion for no real reason other than blind fanboy-ism. Because I and many, many others have read all the Fates supports, and have varying opinions ranging from positive to negative. I like Fates, but I think it has a relatively weak cast.

52 minutes ago, Theghostcreator said:

At the very least most one note fates characters are given a reason why they're the way they are, there are still exceptions but like the word exception implies, they're the exception, not the rule.

"You conveniently left this out! Okay now let me conveniently leave out that the characters from the other games ALSO have this quality..."

7 hours ago, Fire Emblem Fan said:

The original point was to show that saying "if you think this, you OBVIOUSLY didn't read the supports!" is silly, reductive, and dismissive, only serving the purpose of writing off everyone else's opinion for no real reason other than blind fanboy-ism. Because I and many, many others have read all the Fates supports

You're missing the point of my statement, I said this primarily because people who don't already don't like Fates' story will write off the supports as being the same, not everyone will be like you or I and give the supports any time of day or have any reason to believe otherwise, my statement was to encourage people to do so. Blind fanboy-ism implies that I don't understand any criticism towards Fates, which is untrue, there are many things I dislike about Fates, however supports are not one of them. 

8 hours ago, Fire Emblem Fan said:

"You conveniently left this out! Okay now let me conveniently leave out that the characters from the other games ALSO have this quality..."

again you miss the point,  did I say that they did not? You're original statement implied that Fates stood out in the aspect of having one-note characters, my argument was only to justify Fates' supports, not to downplay other games' supports.

clearly you have much to say about this topic, I'd be more than glad to continue this argument in a dedicated thread about fate's supports.