Favorite Fates Character Tier List

2 hours ago, Theghostcreator said:

You're missing the point of my statement, I said this primarily because people who don't already don't like Fates' story will write off the supports as being the same, not everyone will be like you or I and give the supports any time of day or have any reason to believe otherwise, my statement was to encourage people to do so. Blind fanboy-ism implies that I don't understand any criticism towards Fates, which is untrue, there are many things I dislike about Fates, however supports are not one of them.

I'd be willing to admit that I missed a point you were making, but I don't think I was. See:

On 12/8/2021 at 9:07 AM, Theghostcreator said:

also PSA: anyone who says ''fates characters or boring'' or ''fates characters are one-note'' obviously haven't read the supports, they probably assume it's like the story, which it is not. If anyone replies with ''beruka saizo support'' trying to be the funny guy, what can fates never have joke supports or a few bad ones? Every FE character is one note without supports, what separates a Sain from a Laslow? Laslow's personality come from his anxiety and it's the way his mother taught him to get over it because she was taught to do the same by Maribelle in Awakening.  

Nothing here indicates that your point was to encourage people to read the supports. Not even the Laslow section. You said was that "anyone (ANYONE) who says "Fates characters are boring" or "Fates characters are one-note" obviously haven't read the supports." Which is objectively wrong.

If you were trying to encourage people to read the supports, you did a very poor job of getting that across, and I don't think I believe that's what you were really doing anyway.

again you miss the point,  did I say that they did not?

I mean, yeah, you kinda did:

13 hours ago, Theghostcreator said:

may I introduce Sain, Kent, Alan, Lance, Marcus, Serra, Seth, Erk, and many more.

13 hours ago, Theghostcreator said:

At the very least most one note fates characters are given a reason why they're the way they are, there are still exceptions but like the word exception implies, they're the exception, not the rule.

If you really think that characters from other games also have a reason for being how they are, then you wouldn't have said this. If you really thought that non-Fates characters had that quality, you would not have said this. You say you weren't downplaying the supports of other games, but that's exactly what you just did.

clearly you have much to say about this topic, I'd be more than glad to continue this argument in a dedicated thread about fate's supports.

No, I really don't. There really isn't an argument to be made, or much of anything left to say on the topic. You said ANYONE who thinks Fates have one-note characters obviously haven't read the supports, which is an objectively, factually false statement. And I don't believe your justifications for saying what you said, because they don't match up with your words. That's it, there's nothing else to say.

17 hours ago, Theghostcreator said:

you're conveniently leaving out the detail that this issue is not unique to Fates, may I introduce Sain, Kent, Alan, Lance, Marcus, Serra, Seth, Erk, and many more.

I think its a matter of scale. There are simple more gimmicky characters in the Fates/Awakening games. In the older games gimmicky characters were always there but they tended to be balanced out by more rounded character. In some cases that's also the case in a Game like Fates, but less often, and due to the gimmick characters being the majority you often have something akin to a gimmick battle in supports. 

I'm also not sure Erk really has much of a gimmick.

Edited by Etrurian emperor

On 12/7/2021 at 11:42 AM, Magenta Fantasies said:

I happened to revisit this topic and just noticed your tier lists have Anna. I couldn’t find a Fates tier maker including her. Or did you edit her in? If there is a tier maker out there with Anna, might remake my tier list. I really like Anna and probably would add her to my top 20.

Sorry for the late reply but I used this tier list maker from Github. In the settings where you can change characters you will find Anna in the 'Fates Extra' set of characters.

On 12/9/2021 at 6:05 PM, Etrurian emperor said:

I think its a matter of scale. There are simple more gimmicky characters in the Fates/Awakening games. In the older games gimmicky characters were always there but they tended to be balanced out by more rounded character. In some cases that's also the case in a Game like Fates, but less often, and due to the gimmick characters being the majority you often have something akin to a gimmick battle in supports. 

I'm also not sure Erk really has much of a gimmick.

I think there's that, but there's mostly the sheer number of supports, which creates other factors.

The number of supports undermines many characters. Some of them are relatively simple, and they would've done well with like 2-3 supports, but the marriage system for this game forced at least 9 supports per character, and they added some others that also feel forced because of family or whatnot (Shiro x Kiragi comes to mind). In comparison, GBA title supports have 7 in maximum, so even if they don't have many ideas, it won't be too egregious. In Fates, one-note characters get their gimmick repeated a million times so it can get old very fast.

Because of that sheer number, the writers had to create a formula for their supports so as to not go crazy. It's basically B character has an issue, A character tries to help them with it. A character realizes that B has a strength there in which they lack, and B assists them. They then become a duo that "grew" by understanding each other on a minimal detail of their life. Of course, that's not for ALL supports, but for pretty much every support they had no idea what to do with cause they were forced to write a million of them per character.

Then, there's the S support conundrum. Even if they have a nice idea for a support thread between two characters, they often miss the mark at S level because the storyline wasn't built as a romance, so it just comes off as random. They can also get very samey "Oh, I didn't think much of it at first, but then [insert summary of the support thread] and I realized you were a great person, and I now love you", so it often increases the impression of gimmickiness in the game itself. Again, there were a number of supports with a good C-S thread in mind, but it's far from being all of them.

Finally, they seem to have had the need to give most of the character history in each and every support for certain characters. Take Nyx as an example. She has great supports and is a pretty interesting character, but everytime, she needs to introduce her curse because it wasn't provided in the main story, so there's always a feel of sameyness in her supports, despite the variances and new information. It's useful for players who only want to go through the game once and know the characters, and it prevents people from being forced to spend a million hours grinding supports to know the characters. However, because the rest of their personality is either hidden among a sea of nonconsequential supports or shattered in minuscule pieces across all of them, it creates a problem. If you're support-mongering, you'll see the gimmicky part a million times and get tired of it. If you're someone who just happens to get supports in one playthrough, you might be lucky and end on a well-written one, or the variance will mean nothing to you because you haven't seen the rest, or you'll just end up getting the gimmicks and nothing else.

• 3 months later...
On 12/8/2021 at 10:07 AM, Theghostcreator said:

image.png.d3cf85c2c7e078d1c406e972024e4853.png

This is the only truth of the world, Reina is ahead of every other character by miles.

also PSA: anyone who says ''fates characters or boring'' or ''fates characters are one-note'' obviously haven't read the supports, they probably assume it's like the story, which it is not. If anyone replies with ''beruka saizo support'' trying to be the funny guy, what can fates never have joke supports or a few bad ones? Every FE character is one note without supports, what separates a Sain from a Laslow? Laslow's personality come from his anxiety and it's the way his mother taught him to get over it because she was taught to do the same by Maribelle in Awakening.  

Fates has my favorite cast of any Fire Emblem game, yet I somewhat agree that Fates has a fair number of “gimmicky” characters, probably for the reasons mentioned in above posts. So does Awakening, proportionately to the size of its cast. The Fates cast is still my favorite cast, perhaps because I found many of the characters’ gimmicks consistently enjoyable. Felicia, Kagero, Mitama, Nyx, Subaki, Arthur, Percy, Hayato, Sophie, Flora, Kiragi*, Orochi*, Charlotte* and Selkie* come to mind.

* Do their main traits count as gimmicks?

Also, the large number of supports benefits characters that don’t rely on a gimmick. There’s a reason that many of my favorite Fire Emblem characters and four of my top five (Camilla, Jakob, Corrin, Azura) come from Fates. Their supports give the writers the chance to flesh out their characters, show different sides of their personalities and give them nuance. 

It also bolsters my longstanding lament that the characters with only Corrin and Kana supports should have had at least 2-3 more supports to flesh them out. Shura and Izana in particular, since they’re neutral characters and they’re recruited late. I’m also quite fond of Reina and Scarlet.

On a side note, you’re literally the only person in the entire fandom I’ve met who doesn’t like Leo. Now I’m curious why. I’m not criticizing you, I’m just curious.