Fun Units?

FailWood

Which units do you think are the most fun to use from any main series game (No Heroes, Warriors, or hacks)?

Donnel (Awakening), Arthur (Fates Conquest), Felix and Raphael (Three Houses), and most units in SoV to say a few of mine.

Merric was so much fun to use in Shadow Dragon.  Especially when he was anything but a magic class!  He'd just wind up ridiculously bulky.  Arlen from New Mystery was sort-of like that, except he was a ridiculously bulky mage (as in, I had him facetank wyverns for giggles on Hard. . .it's not impressive, but it still amuses me).

- To me is Kellam from awakening. He appears as a tank/knight but he can reclass to priest and thief. 3 classes priest, knight, thief are completely different classes with different growth/playstyles. The thief class for him kinda a joke cause other units in the game hard to see him around. (And ninjas/thieves often hide themself so we can't see them)

- Cecil from FE12, she is the few units in the game that can fit both physical & magic damage dealer role

- Cherche from awakening. Appearing at Wyvern Knight class. Despite her low magic growth. both of her reclasses are troubasour & cleric ( which is both healer classes). It is reveal in a support conversation that she always want to be a healer role before but end up in wyvern knight. 

Edited by Hasechi

Shiida in FE11 is a beast if you just give her a forged Wing Spear. That and I love using pegasus knights in general.

Mia from FE10 is easily my favorite swordmaster/trueblade in the entire series. By endgame almost nothing could touch her and she'd crit for days. Using her in FE10 made trueblade my favorite class in general, tbh.

Lucina from FE13. I love her as a character, and considering how OP anyone in Awakening can be, seeing her annihilate everything once trained is very fun to watch.

Elincia from FE10. She's not the best unit, but having her proc Stun so often came in handy at very convenient times, most memorably when she killed Izuka in Part 4.

6 hours ago, eclipse said:

Merric was so much fun to use in Shadow Dragon.  Especially when he was anything but a magic class!  He'd just wind up ridiculously bulky.

I haven't messed around with Shadow Dragon's reclass system much, but I've heard how it can cause useful stat swings.  The most interesting playthrough I've done with it is using only the new characters (Frey, Norne, Athena, Horace, Etzel, Ymir, and Nagi) with Marth.

1 hour ago, twilitfalchion said:

Mia from FE10 is easily my favorite swordmaster/trueblade in the entire series. By endgame almost nothing could touch her and she'd crit for days. Using her in FE10 made trueblade my favorite class in general, tbh.

I thought about mentioning her.  Her and Ryoma (Fates Birthright and Revelation) are both fun Swordmasters.

Knoll in FE8, but Summoners as a whole are super fun to me. 

Morgan in Awakening is hilariously fun, especially if it's F!Morgan with Lucina, Aversa, Nowi/Tiki/Nah, or Panne as her mother. Aether and Shadowgift are hilariously broken and fun, Manakete!Morgan is a literal gamebreaker, and Assassin or Sniper Panne!Morgan can have some of the best 2nd gen speed or skill in the entire game. (Emmeryn!Morgan is also fun, since she can have the highest Magic stat of any second-gen unit.) 

Mia in FE 10, as y'all already mentioned. 

I also find Azura!Soleil pretty fun to use...when I can recruit her and save everyone, that is. 

Lysithea's brokenness is also fun to me. 

Rebecca and Neimi are fun, when they get RNG-blessed. (Which they have been on my previous playthroughs.) 

I like using Saizo in Fates. I'm never sure if I should pair him with Beruka, Felicia, or Orochi, but I like using him. (I think I usually go with Felicia so that the she can gain Shurikenfaire while Saizo can game Tomebreaker.) 

There are so many to choose from in my experiences:

In my FE4 playthrough, Ulster would destroy anything sent his way.

It was fun (and a little stressful) watching Ryoma literally solo my first Birthright playthrough. I had absolutely no idea what I was doing and all my units were never promoted until chapter 26 when i decided to read what the seals did.

Robert from FE5 and Wil I find to be really fun to use also, despite being in games where archers aren’t to great.

Kris was also insanely fun. I made him a Bishop which made him kind of a glass cannon. But he also had pretty high health due to me choosing the country boy background.

Scarlet and Charlotte for being able to reach 100% crit chance.

Corrin for being able to play different builds each playthrough.

Felicia cus of flame shuriken.

Among many other I can’t think of atm.

1 hour ago, JAZ_2002 said:

Corrin for being able to play different builds each playthrough.

I do like Hoshido Noble Corrin.  Gave mine the Knight talent for my Lunatic playthroughs of Birthright and Revelation so they could have Wary Fighter to be a tanky dragon who could still heal allies without ever being in much danger.  Plus their personal skill is fantastic.

Felicia is pretty fun to hand a flame shuriken to and watch the world burn. Especially when you’re not expecting her to be good at all, like I did in my first ever run of Fates where I didn’t think shuriken and staves was at all a good combo, but I read I should get her shuriken rank up and give her the flame shuriken, and that was a great piece of advice because she destroyed the game.

Speaking of Fates units that destroy the game, Azama reclassed to basically any physically offensive class is pretty fun, because it makes you wonder why he was a healer in the first place when he’s one of the best offensive units. Dreadfighter Azama basically carried me through Birthright my first time.

Ferdinand in Three Houses is pretty fun to make a dodge tank because of his personal ability, he was one of the units I used to cheese Silver Snow’s final boss on maddening.

Est type units are very fun to use, as well as the villager type units of later games, those less so. I like getting this complete scrub but training them up to be one of the best units.

I suppose it would depend on what you mean by "fun". Given all the replies, I'm guessing you mean units that are fun to deploy because of something about them that you just enjoy.

In Path of Radiance, I found Gatrie a fun unit to use in the sense that I enjoyed watching enemy units charge at him and all do zero damage repeatedly, and seeing the ground shake whenever he or another general walked always got a laugh out of me.

In the same game, I also found Ike to be a fun unit as I watched him just tear through every enemy unit that came at him. I tend to like good mercenary units like Ike and Ogma for that reason of watching them always tear through an enemy unit in a visually cool way.

In Radiant Dawn, I found Edward to be one of my more fun units. I know most people go for Zihark or Mia because they're easier to train, but I just love training Edward up and watching him turn into something that never gets hit, endlessly crits, and usually ends up packing more of a punch than Zihark or Mia do.

In the same game, Elincia was also great: being essentially a pegasus knight with a free brave weapon that has infinite durability and boosts her stats. The only thing annoying about her is her becoming equipped with the "mercy' skill in Part 4 without the game telling you. I had to restart the first mission with her in Part 4 because my plan was almost completely ruined by it.

Pelleas takes a lot of training, but give him a long-range dark tome and he becomes the FE-equivalent of an artillery unit, as he can reliably hit (and sometimes even double-attack) when using it; making him able to ORKO enemies from up to 10 spaces away.

I already mentioned the unit I found most fun in Shadow Dragon.

I can't really think of any unit in Awakening that I found particularly fun. More often than not, the characters that were meant to be fun just came across as silly.

I guess I found Corrin kind-of fun: they're a sword-wielding manakete who can turn their arm into a lance or a dragon fang; that's just cool. But all the twirling and stuff is just silly. Azura was fun; the twirling made a bit more sense because she's essentially a dancer unit, and the fact that she was a dancer unit with a truly monstrous strength stat just made it very amusing and fun to use her in combat. I guess Felicia was also fun once she got the flame shuriken.

In Three Houses, using Lysithea to defeat the Death Knight is fun, though I'm not sure if she's a fun unit overall... eh; I'll say she's a fun unit overall. Edelgard's also fun in that she's a small FE lord swinging around huge axes; kind-of a funny reversal of the usual FE lord with a rapier, and it also makes her seem all the more awesome as a unit.

I'm sure there's more, but those are the ones I can think of right now.

Kumagera was a pleant surprised during my replay of conquest. I had no expectations of capture units for their lack of supports and in birthright they really have nothing to set them apart from your generic enemy.

But Kumagera gives you a pretty unique class, both counter skills, death blow and +hit/speed when attacking. The extra bulk was also appreciated.

Byleth in a solo maddening run. They go HARD (not so much early game, but damn do they get powerful later on with the right builds). Like with every other unit in the game, they can do anything if you train them in it. I've been going with the standard sword and brawling with white magic, but it's still a lot of fun, which is really just the virtue of being the only unit taking in all the experience and leveling up, but they can go on some crazy power trips sometimes.

5 hours ago, Sooks said:

Speaking of Fates units that destroy the game, Azama reclassed to basically any physically offensive class is pretty fun, because it makes you wonder why he was a healer in the first place when he’s one of the best offensive units.

As much as I don't like his character, seeing Azama literally bonk his opponent when he crits with a naginata in the Great Master class gives me a smile for how silly it looks.  Plus the +8 Strength promo bonus from Monk to Great Master is pretty insane.

3 hours ago, Etrurian emperor said:

Arthur's great fun to use. He's got a fairly high crit chance so you'll hear him go ''BY MY FISTS OF JUSTICE!'' a lot. Him also being likely to get crit also makes him a nice risk/reward character.

I'd say he's the most fun unit I've ever used.  His personal skill pretty much makes it so all enemies with less then 32 Luck within 2 spaces of Arthur have 0 crit avoid (In Fates, every 2 points of Luck you have gives you 1 crit avoid rounded down).  And yeah, the delivery of his crit quotes are great.  "JUSTICE STRIKES!"

Edited by FailWood

New mystery Horrace will always be one of my favorites. He joins early enough, has solid base stats, and is overall a very good unit for that point in the game. Sheena is another character who I enjoy using despite her very late join time. And of course I always find room for Katarina. It just feels right, even though a properly trained Linde or Merric by that point will typically out perform her. It just feels wrong going through all that effort to recruit only to bench her.

Arthur in fates is another one I like using, simply because his crit quotes are pure gold. And he is the definition of high risk high reward unit. I actually kind of like using those types. Since it feels so great when their great moments shine through. Like Arthur just going on a huge crit spree and one shotting half the map.

• 2 weeks later...

Raising Mozu as a sniper was awesome in my WW2!Fates Conquest run. Like, she's the Pilipino Simo Hayaa one-shotting half of all of the enemy units.

On 6/9/2021 at 5:34 PM, Etrurian emperor said:

Arthur's great fun to use. He's got a fairly high crit chance so you'll hear him go ''BY MY FISTS OF JUSTICE!'' a lot. Him also being likely to get crit also makes him a nice risk/reward character.

Bolded: If you ignore that the risk far eclipses the reward, that is. The fact is, crit is horribly lopsided in terms of usefulness. Because of that, he's just a high-risk, low-reward unit.

On 6/9/2021 at 8:50 PM, FailWood said:

I'd say he's the most fun unit I've ever used.  His personal skill pretty much makes it so all enemies with less then 32 Luck within 2 spaces of Arthur have 0 crit avoid (In Fates, every 2 points of Luck you have gives you 1 crit avoid rounded down).  And yeah, the delivery of his crit quotes are great.  "JUSTICE STRIKES!" 

Problem is, enemies tend to have nowhere near that much luck (and in the lategame, they mostly use silvers that nuke their crit evade). Case in point: most enemies that aren't the boss or the shrine maidens in the penultimate chapter in Conquest have single-digit crit evade. This means that having Arthur around is only a slight boost to crit chance for other units most of the time - not nearly enough to justify how much of a liability he is.

On 6/11/2021 at 2:27 AM, Faellin said:

And he is the definition of high risk high reward unit.

I don't think that "high risk, high reward" means what you think it means, otherwise you'd know it doesn't fit Arthur.

Anyways, I say Corrin, partly for what they are, and more for giving their talent to whichever gal I feel like for that run. No one else comes to mind at the moment.

2 hours ago, Shadow Mir said:

If you ignore that the risk far eclipses the reward, that is. The fact is, crit is horribly lopsided in terms of usefulness. Because of that, he's just a high-risk, low-reward unit.

This topic is not for discussing a unit's viability.  This is strictly for discussing how fun using these units are, and disregards how good or bad said units are.  If you want to talk viability, then go elsewhere or make your own topic.

Catherine is very fun to use in Maddening, because after being stuck with a squad of scrubs having a unit with actual stats is liberating.

Also Odin. Having him stand in the middle of enemies, weakening themselves for your other units and he walks away with full HP, he really is chosen by something.

20 hours ago, FailWood said:
This topic is not for discussing a unit's viability.  This is strictly for discussing how fun using these units are, and disregards how good or bad said units are.  If you want to talk viability, then go elsewhere or make your own topic.

Oh, I know. My point is only that losing a unit to a random crit after you spend a long time on a chapter is frustrating, especially if the chapter you were playing was an already hard one to begin with (case in point here; the player spends almost an hour trying to clear part 1 endgame, and it all ends up being for nothing when the boss attacks and kills Zihark with a critical hit). With this in mind, I fail to see how Arthur can be fun to use when the risk far outweighs the reward (after all, this is a game series with permanent death we're talking about)... I know RNG determines pretty much everything in these games, but the point is, gambling on someone who auto-loses to bad RNG is going to wear thin eventually unless you *really* like taking very risky gambles. In a game series where most units DON'T constantly face crit chances from everything under the sun, this stands out. To put things into perspective, about the only other unit I can think of off the top of my head who has bad enough luck that being critted by enemies is a constant concern is... Knoll. Who is in a game where you get an item that negates crits completely (of course, this ignores the fact that he doesn't even need to see combat to be useful, unlike Arthur). All this being said, I was only stating my opinion, which is that I don't see Arthur as fun to use when his unreliability is bound to get old quickly.

Anyways, I also liked using the villagers in SoV, as well as Amelia in Sacred Stones.

Edited by Shadow Mir

Honestly Bow Knight-Byleth is really fun to use. Because the other archers in 3H--minus Leonie and Claude--have really problematic strength, having Byleth snipe things all over the place was insanely fun. On top of that, I put him down the Thief/Assassin line before Bow Knight so his Dex/Luk/Spd were really high, so sniping and critting was just ~~** chef's kiss ** ~~

But tbh tho, I tried Falcon Knight Azura!Shiro and he was probably one of my fave units in any of my Fates runs. Azura kills his defense, but in turn he ends up having really good speed and skill so he was always proccing Astra and Rend Heaven.

Of the Avatar characters, I definitely think Kris is the most fun on account of having the coolest customization in all respects other than appearance. I know later Avatars can technically still be any class, but choosing your character's starting class just feels cooler to me.

I also think Valentian Villagers and magic-users in general are really fun. I love how customizable Villagers are; seeing each character in various different possible outfits lights up the same part of my brain that appreciates all the different Job Class outfits in Final Fantasies III and V. As for magic-users, I just love how spell lists work in Gaiden and SoV; makes spellcasters feel easily the most varied from unit to unit within the same class. In particular, I really enjoyed using Sage Atlas a lot. Probably not particularly effective as promotion options for him go, but nuking stuff from a distance with Sagittae powered by his monstrous Attack is super satisfying.

In Conquest:

· Velouria. This girl has the growths and bases to pull it off on every physical class. She also has ironic, funny lines.
If possible, invest twenty minutes grinding Supports in the "Before Awakening" map and unlock her immediately after Chapter 14. She is worth it.

· Lately, I have been enjoying the perks of Wolfssegners and Adventurers. If Berserker is the best foot soldier, Wolfssegner is a very close second. And turning healers into Adventurers has proven quite useful and entertaining. The Shining Bow is a blessing.

· Innate access to Vantage and Vengeance and Life and Death and +30 Avoid and -20 Enemy Avoid, doubles most enemies, has a higher critical hit chance and grants useful, unique rewards in her own chapter: Ophelia.

Edited by starburst

• 4 weeks later...

- Donnel in Awakening. Training him is hard, but watching an one-man army is always worth it

- Delthea in SoV. Girl just straight up nukes Duma so Alm can deal the finishing blow

- Lysithea in 3H, since it is always fun to see her obliterate Death Knight with Dark Spikes T. She also destroys Dimitri in my Crimson Flower run. Oh, and Warp too.

• Fir in BinBla's HM. Underleveled, but reasonably good stats for her joining time; sword user joining in an axe-heavy part of the game.
  • Shiida in Shadow Dragon. Forged Wing Spear is just hilarious.
  • Marcus in BinBla's HM. No, really. Great Jeigan-feel, because he can leave basically every enemy in the earlygame at low HP, unlike the Jeigans after him. Obviously not fun in a "fun-to-raise" way.