A new Run Idea.

Malfaria

I came up with an Idea for a Challenge run, where you cannot buy anything at all. That is the only rule, only being able to use free stuff. Which FE Games do you think will be the easiest and the Hardest under that simple rule?

Well Fates, Gaiden, and Echoes would have to be the easiest on account of no weapon durability. Three Houses and FE4 should be pretty easy since you can simply repair weapons. They won't even disappear from your inventory if they hit 0 durability. Although if weapon repairs or forges count as "buying" then that changes things. I don't even think FE4 is completable on your units base inventories. Thracia already expects you to steal your own items by taking enemies hostage so I don't imagine that run would be much different.

Of the remaining games, I'd suppose that FE9 would make a good candidate for not being too hard or too difficult, especially assuming that stealing is allowed. Since it's the rare game where you can steal weapons but not every enemy has something to steal. Many enemies in FE9, especially late game, are carrying two weapons, and if Volke's stats are high enough he can nab whichever one is not being used. Not sure which game would be the hardest. Awakening is the only game where you could strategize around the challenge (with the mercenary's skill that occasionally halts weapon degredation).The GBA games might be made easier through arena abuse - since you're given a free weapon to use. Just level up your units until they start one shotting/critical hitting enemies on the regular. Unless you count the arena's entry cost as "buying" something.

1 minute ago, Glennstavos said:

Well Fates, Gaiden, and Echoes would have to be the easiest on account of no weapon durability. Three Houses and FE4 should be pretty easy since you can simply repair weapons. They won't even disappear from your inventory if they hit 0 durability. Although if weapon repairs or forges count as "buying" then that changes things. I don't even think FE4 is completable on your units base inventories. Thracia already expects you to steal your own items by taking enemies hostage so I don't imagine that run would be much different.

Of the remaining games, I'd suppose that FE9 would make a good candidate for not being too hard or too difficult, especially assuming that stealing is allowed. Since it's the rare game where you can steal weapons but not every enemy has something to steal. Many enemies in FE9, especially late game, are carrying two weapons, and if Volke's stats are high enough he can nab whichever one is not being used. Not sure which game would be the hardest. Awakening is the only game where you could strategize around the challenge (with the mercenary's skill that occasionally halts weapon degredation).The GBA games might be made easier through arena abuse - since you're given a free weapon to use. Just level up your units until they start one shotting/critical hitting enemies on the regular. Unless you count the arena's entry cost as "buying" something.

Genealogy wouldn't allow you to trade equipment between any units as that is done via buying and selling, so it could actually be potentially very tricky. Who kills whom would certainly require a lot more consideration.

17 minutes ago, Jotari said:

Genealogy wouldn't allow you to trade equipment between any units as that is done via buying and selling, so it could actually be potentially very tricky. Who kills whom would certainly require a lot more consideration.

I'm aware of that much, I'm just saying that access to weapon repairs is the real make or break on whether the game is beatable.

Edited by Glennstavos

39 minutes ago, Fabulously Olivier said:

3H would probably be one of the easier ones, aside from recruiting difficulties. Since the game basically rains free stuff. 

Three Houses also has the benefit of both bare-fist fighting and spells that regenerate every battle and don't require items at all. With the possible exception of very early levels, it's probably possible to beat it without using any items at all, let alone any bought items.

26 minutes ago, DarkSage861 said:

I believe Gaiden and Path of Radiance are good candidates of this since Gaiden has no currency at all and Path of Radiance currency is rare 

I think you need to play Path of Radiance again. That game throws money at you like it's NES Shadow Dragon.

2 minutes ago, Jotari said:

I think you need to play Path of Radiance again. That game throws money at you like it's NES Shadow Dragon.

It has been a while since I played that game but last time I did, I didn't have a lot of money in my run

6 minutes ago, DarkSage861 said:

It has been a while since I played that game but last time I did, I didn't have a lot of money in my run

That's probably because you're spending it on forges. As the game gives you so much money you can dump as many stats into forges as you want, unlike the likes of Shadow Dragon and Radiant Dawn which have the same forging system but have much more limited cash.

There were a few post about No Shop runs, which is either very similar, or the same thing as the challenge run you are thinking about. Looks like they finished an FE8 run, but looking at their Youtube page, Serenes Forest, and Reddit page, it looks like interest flagged in the FE6 run before it was finished.

1 hour ago, Glennstavos said:

Three Houses and FE4 should be pretty easy since you can simply repair weapons. They won't even disappear from your inventory if they hit 0 durability. Although if weapon repairs or forges count as "buying" then that changes things. I don't even think FE4 is completable on your units base inventories.

I'm counting weapon repairing as buying them.

24 minutes ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

There were a few post about No Shop runs, which is either very similar, or the same thing as the challenge run you are thinking about. Looks like they finished an FE8 run, but looking at their Youtube page, Serenes Forest, and Reddit page, it looks like interest flagged in the FE6 run before it was finished.

I see. So I'm not the only one.

Okay, I was going to try most FE with that simple rule, and other games that allow you buy things like Final Fantasy or Zelda.

3 hours ago, Malfaria said:

I'm counting weapon repairing as buying them.

I was wondering about this. Three Houses is still doable, but you'll want to lean more on spells and Unarmed Combat more than anything else. Of course, you could still replenish all exhausted weapon uses at the timeskip.

Genealogy, though... might just become unwinnable. I've heard the game can be beaten with no repairs, but I think even that run requires buying weapons at certain points. I could be wrong, though.

As for easiest, I think Thracia would actually be pretty doable. You can get more weapons and items via the Capture mechanic, or with the Thief staff. I've never beaten the game, though, so I may be missing something obvious.

2 hours ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

Genealogy, though... might just become unwinnable. I've heard the game can be beaten with no repairs, but I think even that run requires buying weapons at certain points. I could be wrong, though.

I expect the standard trading around of rings and weapons with also be a factor in that run which this one does not permit.

2 hours ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

It might be winnable, thanks to seizing a castle killing all units under that castle's command, but it would make for a very strange run. Definitely something you would have to plan out...

1 hour ago, Jotari said:

I expect the standard trading around of rings and weapons with also be a factor in that run which this one does not permit.

1 hour ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

It might be winnable, thanks to seizing a castle killing all units under that castle's command, but it would make for a very strange run. Definitely something you would have to plan out

I'm envisioning something close to a Sigurd solo (basically, anything good that could go to him, goes to him). With some aid from your mounted units, healers, and dancers, so that Sigurd doesn't burn through all his weapons instantly. Gold doesn't matter, but droppables, talks, and village items do. Arden now, effectively, passes down Pursuit (is Arden!Patty a thing? Because it could be.) Larcei might be of some help in Gen 2, by inheriting Ayra's Brave Sword.

Another question arises - are churches allowed? They take your gold, yes, but you never consciously pay for their services - I would argue you aren't "buying" anything. Churches might actually be useful for once.