Tatiana is the best healer in the series, eh, I guess giving her Ardent Sacrifice reflects that

Jotari

Tatiana is probably the best healer in the entire series. Why in the world did they decide to make her a tome unit? Granted I'd rather a throw away tome unit than another throw away infantry staff unit, but of all characters she has the most reason to be top tier staff unit with a map wide healing spell you can spam every turn in her own game. Make her an awesome healing unit in Heroes. Or at least use her as a vehicle to introduce Even Recovery (it's been half a year since they introduced Odd Recovery, is and Even turned version of this skill just unfeasible?). At the very least if they were going to make her a tome unit then they could have given her Nosferatu, like all Valentian Clerics have. Half the time I complain about themĀ  not going for the more creative non obvious choice for a character, but when they actually do, they still manage to disappoint me -_-

Edited by Jotari

Well the Rabbit Tome heals her I guess. They aren't going to give a free demote character something premium like Even Recovery(even though the odd version far outclasses it). I see people over on Reddit crying over NFU and NCD not being more available.

Man the SoV and 3H implementation of stuff has been disappointing you. At least Tatiana and Marianne aren't some throwaway Infantry Healers. I guess Marianne could have been a premium Cavalry Staff unit.

2 minutes ago, LoneStar said:

Well the Rabbit Tome heals her I guess. They aren't going to give a free demote character something premium like Even Recovery(even though the odd version far outclasses it). I see people over on Reddit crying over NFU and NCD not being more available.

Man the SoV and 3H implementation of stuff has been disappointing you. At least Tatiana and Marianne aren't some throwaway Infantry Healers. I guess Marianne could have been a premium Cavalry Staff unit.

She didn't necessarily need to be the demote on that banner (or rather the free unit), it easily could have been Luther, who is really underwhelming as well and probably will be an actual demote.

3 minutes ago, Jotari said:

She didn't necessarily need to be the demote on that banner (or rather the free unit), it easily could have been Luther, who is really underwhelming as well and probably will be an actual demote.

Luthier is the other demote, since he's the 4* focus.

Banners with OCs have two demotes (one regular, one quest), although that raises the question of why this one needed to be the midpoint at all when either Luthier or Tatiana could easily have been another 5*.

21 minutes ago, Jotari said:

Tatiana is probably the best healer in the entire series. Why in the world did they decide to make her a tome unit? Granted I'd rather a throw away tome unit than another throw away infantry staff unit, but of all characters she has the most reason to be top tier staff unit with a map wide healing spell you can spam every turn in her own game.

For pure healing, setting availability aside, you are right that Tatiana is the best in SoV. Being that she isĀ literally the only character with Fortify access. Duma being able to hit everyone with earthquakes does add reason to use Fortify.

This said, Fortify isn't unique to her in the context of FE as a whole, SoV yes, but it's a commonplace spell otherwise. The absence of it being an actual staff could've hurt her chances of getting it -except for Sonya, Delthea, and Celica.

Her having Ardent Sacrifice actually makes her more accurate to how healers worked in Gaiden / SoV, because they always had to give up HP to heal (or use any spell except Nosferatu).

That, and I guess staves didn't actually exist as equipment in Gaiden / SoV unlike Three Houses (which also used White Magic / Faith magic for healing instead of staves).

20 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

For pure healing, setting availability aside, you are right that Tatiana is the best in SoV. Being that she isĀ literally the only character with Fortify access. Duma being able to hit everyone with earthquakes does add reason to use Fortify.

This said, Fortify isn't unique to her in the context of FE as a whole, SoV yes, but it's a commonplace spell otherwise. The absence of it being an actual staff could've hurt her chances of getting it -except for Sonya, Delthea, and Celica.

Yeah, but in other games with fortify you have limited uses. Tatiana can quite literally spam it every turn with the only resource cost being having another healer heal her every four or five turns when her HP runs low enough.

17 minutes ago, Tybrosion said:

Her having Ardent Sacrifice actually makes her more accurate to how healers worked in Gaiden / SoV, because they always had to give up HP to heal (or use any spell except Nosferatu).

That, and I guess staves didn't actually exist as equipment in Gaiden / SoV unlike Three Houses (which also used White Magic / Faith magic for healing instead of staves).

That didn't really stop them from putting Genny and Silque in the game as staff units (twice each as it happens). Not to mention she literally has a staff in her combat model in Shadows of Valentia (though not Gaiden)

https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/fireemblem/images/8/87/FE15_Saint_(Tatiana).jpg

(if you don't see it immediately, she's holding it horizontally behind her back in that pic)

Ā 

If they were committed to accuracy by not having any Gaiden healers outside seasonal then I might even find that cool, I was the one wishing they didn't have weapons in the sprites for Valentian and Fodlan mages after all, but they long sine ignored that potentiality by introducing every other healer in the game as a staff unit (though I guess there's still Shade they could introduce as a tome unit, who knows how they'll handle the Cipher characters though, Shade as a tome unit wouldn't really upset me as much though since she has silence and other such gimmicks in her kit, plus the more dark magic girl aesthetic). If they did decide to go the route of making all the Valentian clerics tome units, I'd still want Tatiana to actually be a good healer. Ardent Sacrifice and a really, really underwhelming self heal isn't really reflecting how she's used in game (and just as a weapon, did Blarrabit really need to be only once per turn a heal, they just gave us a mega broken Edelgard last month who heals after every combat, Blarrabit could have made for some esoteric super healing set ups with Mystic Boost if it were after every combat).

Edited by Jotari

46 minutes ago, Jotari said:

That didn't really stop them from putting Genny and Silque in the game as staff units (twice each as it happens).

Yeah, but their reasoning there could've been the fact that they both start as Clerics and thus aren't as good at fighting (stuck with 60% Nosferatu and all). Tatiana, on the other hand, starts as a Saint and is better at fighting because she has the more accurate and more powerful Seraphim.

Look, I'm just trying to provide possible reasons for IS's choices. I don't either entirely agree or disagree with them making Tatiana a tome unit. At mostĀ times, IS just does whatever the hell they want in this game regardless of whether it makes sense or not.

In this case, I can at least see some rationale in the choice of giving Tatiana a tome even if that wouldn't have been my first choice either especially when they gave her a gross "first combat only" tome.

25 minutes ago, Dark Holy Elf said:

Tatiana being a tome user while Lucius is a staff user makes me wonder if they played either game.

You can blame that on IS not having Light tomes (yes, I know they're functionally identical to Thunder tomes)Ā exist in FEH until they added Micaiah. That's probably the same reason why Julia and Deirdre were both green tomes in their base versions.

1 hour ago, Othin said:

Luthier is the other demote, since he's the 4* focus.

Banners with OCs have two demotes (one regular, one quest), although that raises the question of why this one needed to be the midpoint at all when either Luthier or Tatiana could easily have been another 5*.

I feel the reason this banner was a midpoint was due to IS' expectations for it being low. Valentia, like Awakening, is at a point where its remaining cast is on the lower end of popularity aside from a couple and they probably didn't trust Tatiana or Luthier enough to carry the banner by themselves, so they made it a Midpoint banner and threw in NottĀ as a means to help carry it. As for why they weren't the 5* despite that,Ā alongside Nott being used as a carryĀ they alsoĀ probablyĀ wanted Palla to be on there to serve a similar role to Catria on the previous Valentia banner as she was likely used as a carry there and Palla is popular enough to serve the same role. As a result, she was given the 5* treatment herself andĀ withĀ both her and NottĀ takingĀ two of theĀ dedicated 5* focus slots thatĀ left one otherĀ 5* slot, the 4* focus, and the freebie. Since Zeke was likely planned to debut alongside TatianaĀ he took the last 5* slot due to him being CamusĀ and left Luthier and Tatiana with the remaining roles.Ā 

It is unfortunate it shook out that way since they probably could've been 5* if they played to their popularity, but it's not the first time IS has done this and it won't be the last.Ā 

Edited by Medeus

There's been a fair few recent staff drops regardless. Doing wizardry is one of the two things she did, even if it's not what she's better-known for; it's hardly unjustifiable to focus her on that in FEH when you can only pick one.

8 hours ago, Tybrosion said:

Yeah, but their reasoning there could've been the fact that they both start as Clerics and thus aren't as good at fighting (stuck with 60% Nosferatu and all). Tatiana, on the other hand, starts as a Saint and is better at fighting because she has the more accurate and more powerful Seraphim.

Look, I'm just trying to provide possible reasons for IS's choices. I don't either entirely agree or disagree with them making Tatiana a tome unit. At mostĀ times, IS just does whatever the hell they want in this game regardless of whether it makes sense or not.

In this case, I can at least see some rationale in the choice of giving Tatiana a tome even if that wouldn't have been my first choice either especially when they gave her a gross "first combat only" tome.

You can blame that on IS not having Light tomes (yes, I know they're functionally identical to Thunder tomes)Ā exist in FEH until they added Micaiah. That's probably the same reason why Julia and Deirdre were both green tomes in their base versions.

Ā 

5 hours ago, Parrhesia said:

There's been a fair few recent staff drops regardless. Doing wizardry is one of the two things she did, even if it's not what she's better-known for; it's hardly unjustifiable to focus her on that in FEH when you can only pick one.

Granted, it's not like they randomly gave her a weapon she can't ever even use in her own game (*cough*Narcian*cough*), but she still does feel like a low effort addition. If they were committed to making her a tome user they could have still made her feel something like how she plays in her own game. They could have actually made Blarrabbit good for one. Maybe give it a passive healing affect like the Herons or something. I doubt that would break the bank in terms of OP free units. In fact it'd still probably be rather underwhelming, but at least it'd still feel like Tatiana.

7 hours ago, Medeus said:

I feel the reason this banner was a midpoint was due to IS' expectations for it being low. Valentia, like Awakening, is at a point where its remaining cast is on the lower end of popularity aside from a couple and they probably didn't trust Tatiana or Luthier enough to carry the banner by themselves, so they made it a Midpoint banner and threw in NottĀ as a means to help carry it. As for why they weren't the 5* despite that,Ā alongside Nott being used as a carryĀ they alsoĀ probablyĀ wanted Palla to be on there to serve a similar role to Catria on the previous Valentia banner as she was likely used as a carry there and Palla is popular enough to serve the same role. As a result, she was given the 5* treatment herself andĀ withĀ both her and NottĀ takingĀ two of theĀ dedicated 5* focus slots thatĀ left one otherĀ 5* slot, the 4* focus, and the freebie. Since Zeke was likely planned to debut alongside TatianaĀ he took the last 5* slot due to him being CamusĀ and left Luthier and Tatiana with the remaining roles.Ā 

It is unfortunate it shook out that way since they probably could've been 5* if they played to their popularity, but it's not the first time IS has done this and it won't be the last.Ā 

I feel like an alternate choice they could have went with would be to make Zeke the grandhero battle unit. Then at least we wouldn't have two blue units on the banner (assuming Tatiana is moved there as a colourless unit). Fernand could have worked well enough as the free unit (or just ditch Fernand entirely and have no free unit outside of the Grand Battle unit, I'd rather more interesting banner units than useless free units).

Ā 

To put some iota of positivity out into the universe, I will say I am quite happy they gave Palla the Ladyblade. Sure Pegasus Knights couldn't use Swords in Shadows of Valentia, but that doesn't bother me much at all considering we have so many lance fliers. And the ladyblade is a pretty noticable weapon in the series that has been absent until now so I'm glad it's finally here (I even included it on my "Who will get these weapons?" thread). So yeah, they were diverging from the norm, being creative and giving us iconic aspects of the series on that front. I hope they go even further with that and use the existence of the Harrier class to give us a flying tome unit for Est when her Valantian variation gets in.

Edited by Jotari

5 hours ago, Jotari said:

Granted, it's not like they randomly gave her a weapon she can't ever even use in her own game (*cough*Narcian*cough*), but she still does feel like a low effort addition. If they were committed to making her a tome user they could have still made her feel something like how she plays in her own game. They could have actually made Blarrabbit good for one. Maybe give it a passive healing affect like the Herons or something. I doubt that would break the bank in terms of OP free units. In fact it'd still probably be rather underwhelming, but at least it'd still feel like Tatiana.

It might've been better this way for Tatiana given how 3*-4* staff units tend to fareĀ even worse in regards to their treatment.

Speaking of which, IS did give us one of those in this exact slot last year so that might've also played a part in Tatiana being assigned a tome instead. Poor Emmeryn got screwed so hardĀ and for the sake of propping up Book IV's worst OC at that that most people probably forgot about her not even a week after her addition (and her absenceĀ from PvE until recently didn't help in that regard). I'm not even sure if I've ever seen a +10 Emmeryn anywhere (some probably exist, but I sure haven't seen them).

35 minutes ago, Tybrosion said:

I'm not even sure if I've ever seen a +10 Emmeryn anywhere (some probably exist, but I sure haven't seen them).

The problem with Emmeryn is that, while she is still the best F2P staff infantry in the game (assuming you aren't giving Eremiya Trait Fruits), she was already completely outclassed by Veronica at release. Veronica has better stats (even at +0 with her refine compared to a +10 Emmeryn), better mobility, and had already been available for nearly 2 years (and was a free summon option on a CYL banner).