Characters that you dislike but love using and those you love but hate using.

ciphertul

What some of the characters that you either love but hate the gameplay style or power of and those that you dislike but still use a lot.

For me it’s Pultia/Iris Heart from Neptunia, I really dislike the sadistic yandere thing she has going on but she is just such an unrivaled boss slayer. She can just put damage everyone else.

Archimedes from Eiyuu Senki, I love her but both her skills and stats are just soo bad. It also don’t help her recruitment is a pain to do as well. While I want to use her I just can’t.

Edited by ciphertul

Characters I dislike as characters but enjoy using:

• Corrin in Fates and Smash Bros.: I dislike Corrin as a character because they're a blatant Gary Stu and just a massive waste of potential, but I will not deny that Corrin is fun to use as a unit thanks to the Yato and their dragon powers, and they're fun to use in Smash Bros. 4 and Ultimate.

Characters I like as characters but dislike using:

• Toon Link in every Smash Bros. game except Brawl: I like Toon Link as a character as he's one of the best Links, and I enjoyed using him in Brawl, but he just doesn't click with me after all the changes they made to him in 4 and Ultimate.
  • Minerva in Shadow Dragon: I find her character interesting (as interesting as a character in Shadow Dragon can get), but, while she isn't anywhere close to the worst promoted unit in Shadow Dragon, the game isn't really friendly to using promoted units in my experience.

I'm sure there are other characters, but these are the ones I can think of off the top of my head right now.

While Ganondorf's brutal, punchy fighting style does provide a certain catharsis, I dislike that it veers so far off from what he's like in the games themselves. Back in Melee, it was maybe understandable since he didn't use a weapon himself in OoT (though his Phantom double did, and one of his victory animations in Melee uses that big honking sword from the SpaceWorld 2001 demo) and he was a last-minute addition (which baffles me, as he's one of Nintendo's top villains and so should have been on the top of the list right next to Bowser, Peach, and Zelda). But by the time Brawl came out, TP had Ganondorf using a sword proper, the Sword of Sages, so a moveset revision there would have been more acceptable (at the very least, turn him into an Ike clone instead :P).

I also don't like Ganondorf being so slow and durdly, he can fly for pete's sake. He should feel like the badass warrior-mage he is in OoT, TWW, TP, and especially HW. Even if he gets to have power, range, and speed, he can be balanced out with drawbacks like end lag for whiffed attacks or projectiles that can be turned against him such as the energy ball. Ganondorf may have power, range, and speed at his disposal, but he doesn't have the best precision, and he may not necessarily be able to use all three of those strengths at once. If you get cocky and overextend yourself, your opponents will outmaneuver you and punish you, just like Link does to Ganondorf in his home series. With great power comes great risk of hurting yourself.

As far as units in FE are concerned:

I hate Sylvain. Sylvain is a chode. He's also very effective and feels like a staple unit in any good team.

I don't like Camilla. But Fates is already difficult enough with using her. I'm not about to drop her. Same for Elise.

Bastian and Nasir are two of my favorite characters in the franchise. They're also worthless units. Bastian is at least usable, but Nasir is a total joke.

Dark Deity bonus round:

I don't like kids. I don't like Alden. Alden is also incredibly overpowered and I'm actively gimping myself by not using him. Imagine if Nino had perfect availability and you'd have... a unit who is still not as good as Alden.

Elias is possibly my favorite character in DD. His middling growths also seem to make him one of the most consistently disappointing units for most players. Makes an acceptable tank as a Reverie.

Hate as characters but love using:

Robin (Smash and Awakening) and Corrin (Fates only). Although honestly my "hate" for Robin is more like "bored". I don't have many issues with them otherwise. Corrin is a definite hate tho but I do still enjoy using them a lot when I'm able to customize their looks and classes in Fates.

Kai from Suikoden I. He isn't hated by any means, but the idea of having and old man with little story relevance instead of the many other more "exciting" options, in a game where your free party slots are being constantly restricted by many forced story characters already, isn't the most compelling idea. But damn it, not only does he provide the earliest access to a multi-hit unite attack, but also the most convenient and powerful one too, as it only requires the MC to perform it (who is understandably always forced anyway) and has no drawbacks.

Characters I like but hate using:

Kobolds in Suikoden I & II. They're all so adorable with sweet bubbly personalities to match (with my favorite Kuromimi being the exception as he is more serious) but they all have some of the worst stats in the game. In Suikoden I it's not so bad because, despite that, they still form part of the strongest unite attack in the game. Very cumbersome set up as it needs 3 participants and party slots are tight, so at times you'll either have to to settle for the lesser (but still fairly powerful) version of the unite or forgo it all together. In Suikoden II however, they have nothing going for them. Same terrible stats but no longer have a powerful unite to make up for it. Instead they have a terrible unite 80% of the time with the drawback of knocking one down which skips their turn or a decent unite 20% of the time but with the drawback of knocking them both down skipping both their turns. On top of that, in Suikoden I, Kobolds at least had access to pretty good equipment making them very bulky, but in II, there is no longer good Kobold exclusive equipment, and in fact, they get are pretty restricted in what they can wear like not being able to use Fire Emblems like every other male to help out their poor atk stat.

Relm from FFVI. Easily the weakest gimmick in the game. Yes, worse than Bushido. And it sucks because it's such a neat concept. Sketch fails a good chunk of the time. sketch does negligible damage, if anything, more often than not. sketch is unpredictable. sketch is outright detrimental at times. She has good magic stat but has no way of naturally making use of it like Terra, Celes, Strago, and Sabin. She'll perform amazing if you bother with Espers but then again, even the most magically inept are broken if benefitting from extra magic level ups and Ultima - Quick - Ultima - Ultima spam. She has the luck of being in a game where even the weakest characters are good but it takes a while to get her there.

Edited by NegativeExponents-