Counting how many playable characters are in Heroes so far (56.8% of the cast is in)

Jotari

25 minutes ago, GrandeRampel said:

PREACH IT! They need to add Fleche to CYL, I even sent feedback about it. If they added more characters once they can do it again. Hopefully her, Lekain and Pamela get in next year.

And yeah, it is very weird that they treated Flame Emperor differently from Masked Marth. Hopefully they fix that too. But then again, it's not like they are going to win a CYL. Even the memers prioritized Gatekeeper and will probably spend their efforts with the likes of Abysskeeper or Acheron before considering FE.

I actually think it's probable keeping Flame Emperor in was just plain oversight. Either that or they wanted to try and delay spoilers a little longer (not that I imagine anyone who hasn't played Fates would notice such a character vanishing from the polls). It'll be interesting to see if she stays in the next one.

Lekain in particular is one of the strangest absences. There's a decent argument that he's the main antagonist of Radiant Dawn. Yet apparently despite that he's considered less relevant than his stooges like Hetzel and Valtome.

Oh wait, I just checked the list further, Lekain was in CYL5? Still weird he wasn't in the earlier ones when Hezel and Valtome where though.

Edited by Jotari

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ooh. We just randomly got Pelleas. Nice for Radiant Dawn. Does that mean we're getting a Tellius banner soon (despite me keeping a database of units who are and aren't in the game, I don't actually check the news updates all that much).

2 hours ago, Jotari said:

Ooh. We just randomly got Pelleas. Nice for Radiant Dawn. Does that mean we're getting a Tellius banner soon (despite me keeping a database of units who are and aren't in the game, I don't actually check the news updates all that much).

There'll probably be a Tellius banner (likely for Radiant Dawn specifically) before the end of the year since the last one was nearly a year ago (September 2020). The only other main games that have gone longer without a New Heroes banner are Shadow Dragon / (New) Mystery (last banner: July 2020) and Awakening (last banner: June 2020). 

Also for what it's worth, Vika got added on the new pirate seasonal banner and (in one of her castle dialogue blurbs) straight up asks you to let her know when Tormod and Muarim show up. Lifis also got in as the banner's Tempest Trials unit, which is great for Thracia even though he's seasonal locked. He's an infantry axe too, when Jugdral previously had just two axe units between its two games (Osian and Lex).

6 hours ago, Tybrosion said:

There'll probably be a Tellius banner (likely for Radiant Dawn specifically) before the end of the year since the last one was nearly a year ago (September 2020). The only other main games that have gone longer without a New Heroes banner are Shadow Dragon / (New) Mystery (last banner: July 2020) and Awakening (last banner: June 2020). 

Yeah, I'm wondering if the very next banner will be a Tallius one, because it's a bit weird of them to drop Pelleas on us now. Though I guess there's also the question of who else are they going to pair with a CYL banner? Anyone would be sort of random. And cynically one could look at a Pelleas inclusion to suggest that to the contrary they don't plan to release any more Tellius characters and that's why they're releasing him now instead of amongst a banner full of them. Only time will tell I guess.

6 hours ago, Tybrosion said:

Also for what it's worth, Vika got added on the new pirate seasonal banner and (in one of her castle dialogue blurbs) straight up asks you to let her know when Tormod and Muarim show up. Lifis also got in as the banner's Tempest Trials unit, which is great for Thracia even though he's seasonal locked. He's an infantry axe too, when Jugdral previously had just two axe units between its two games (Osian and Lex).

Vika in any form getting in before Tormod and  Muarim seems weird. Oh well, I guess the beast, and specifically flying beast bias can go a long way.

6 hours ago, Jotari said:

Vika in any form getting in before Tormod and  Muarim seems weird. Oh well, I guess the beast, and specifically flying beast bias can go a long way.

I'd say it's not so much of a bias when Tellius is currently the only source of flying beasts (outside of Macuil from Three Houses) until (and if) Heroes starts introducing their own flying beasts.

So because of that, flying beasts are in short supply in Heroes (Tibarn's pirate alt from last August was the latest flying beast until pirate Vika and pirate Naesala) so it makes sense that Vika would take priority especially over Tormod when IS has only added 16 red tomes (9 of which are infantry) since Book V started.

11 minutes ago, Tybrosion said:

I'd say it's not so much of a bias when Tellius is currently the only source of flying beasts (outside of Macuil from Three Houses) until (and if) Heroes starts introducing their own flying beasts.

Monica's father is a possibility too...a really, really remote one, but a man can dream.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm kind of surprised they've done the Ashen Wolves this soon.  I really thought they'd hold out until the next game in case Gauntlets become a staple of the series. Instead they kind of just made Balthus throw away trash. They didn't even reference his relic in a skill or something 😕 Oh well, at least they didn't make Yuri a sword infantry.

With this new addition Three Houses is looking pretty complete. It's only missing 14 characters, which is tied 3rd behind Shadows of Valentia (missing 11) and Sacred Stones (missing 13). They're way down in absolute number of characters in the game, but well that's the result of a smaller than average cast. In terms of % of the cast in the game, they've jumped from 56% to 65%, that's 4th in percentage of cast behind Awakening, Fates and Shadows of Valentia.

Edited by Jotari

On 7/21/2021 at 12:36 AM, GrandeRampel said:

As far as Archanea is concerned I agree with all the characters you two mention needing to get in the game. But I also would add Wolf (if we get only one of the Wolfguard, we need to get him), Midia (we have Midia's hero and not Midia herself? Bullshit!), Arlen, Malice, Etzel and JAKE!

Seriously, he is the only playbale Jake and we need a Jake in a celebration of the series, that is not negotiable. Cipher will always remain the superior crossover until we get Jake.

EDIT: And about Fates. Scarlet is a plot relevant character, so I believe she is the most note-worthy character still absent other than Anankos. After her we can round out the banner with Hayato, Mozu, Reina and a Shura GHB and Gen 1 is done. Okay Izana and Fuga exist, but come on. It took ages for them to get a card in Cipher for a reason. They feel like that two that should take the longest to get added.

I agree with you and others (I really wish I could quote within quotes), although it pains me to say it. There are only a few remaining Archanea characters I genuinely care about having in Heroes: Rickard, Xane, Nyna, Hardin, Wolf, Castor, Malice, Jake and Etzel in that order, and maybe a couple others I can’t think of offhand. 

-The pool for potential dagger units is very small (even with most thieves, such as Gaius and Julian, being shifted to daggers) so I’m hoping Rickard can be added on that merit, and he could be a demote so we get another 3-4 star dagger user to flesh out that category. He also has more personality than many of the other minor characters in the Archanea games and he starred in a paralogue of sorts with Lena, Castor and Navarre. Also, Julian mentions Rickard several times in Heroes. Rickard may be unpopular, but I’m not completely ruling him out of ever being added to Heroes.

-Xane has an interesting gimmick, and there is a skill already present in Heroes that isn’t entirely different (I forget its name, but it substitutes the unit with a nearby unit to take damage.) He also has a relatively notable personality and he’s relatively popular.

-Nyna and Hardin are plot-relevant, and I’d be surprised if neither were on the next Archanea banner. 

-Wolf is relatively popular, perhaps because of his design and utility as a unit, and he leads the Wolfguard, so he is a fairly likely addition on the next Archanea banner. 

-I’m hard pressed to think of reasons the other remaining characters would be added, other than the fact I personally like them. I suppose Malice isn’t bad-looking, and has a distinctive design.

On the topic of Fates, Mozu is relatively popular, and a few of the Corrinsexuals like Scarlet and Shura are too. It also helps that Scarlet and Shura are prominent in the story in a couple chapters, and that Shura and Mozu are the remaining first-gen characters available in all three Fates games.

From a gameplay standpoint, I could see Scarlet and Shura being fun characters to use in Heroes with skills/weapons based on their Fates personal skills. Scarlet could have her special activate automatically if she is below a certain HP percentage (similar to how her Fates personal skill drastically increases her critical hit chance) and Shura could have a skill/weapon that deals additional damage to opponents that cannot counter. Yukimura is one of the only, if not the only, canon dagger cavalry and his mechanical mount could lend itself to a unique movement skill. The same goes for Sophie and her wayward horse.

2 hours ago, Magenta Fantasies said:

-The pool for potential dagger units is very small (even with most thieves, such as Gaius and Julian, being shifted to daggers) so I’m hoping Rickard can be added on that merit, and he could be a demote so we get another 3-4 star dagger user to flesh out that category. He also has more personality than many of the other minor characters in the Archanea games and he starred in a paralogue of sorts with Lena, Castor and Navarre. Also, Julian mentions Rickard several times in Heroes. Rickard may be unpopular, but I’m not completely ruling him out of ever being added to Heroes.

Not hugely relevant to what you're saying, but I really wish they had the foresight to make Sabre a dagger unit, what with his whole prf weapon literally being a dagger (granted added on to him post release as a refine, but still, like I said, foresight, giving him the golden dagger didn't come out of nowhere). Sword infantry is by far the most bloated category as far as weapon movement combinations go, but it seems they're only ever interested in making units with the thief/rogue/trickster class into dagger units when it really wouldn't be that weird to do it to more sword units. Sabre is just the most obvious choice, but from amongst sword units not in the game, I wouldn't at all object if the likes of Edward came as a dagger unit. There have been weirder choices made in regards to weapons and it's make for a bit of a surprise (though the mythic caladbolg certainly doesn't lend itself to being a sword, but when you look at how big and sword like Yuri's knife is, that hardly seems a concern).

2 hours ago, Jotari said:

but it seems they're only ever interested in making units with the thief/rogue/trickster class into dagger units when it really wouldn't be that weird to do it to more sword units. Sabre is just the most obvious choice, but from amongst sword units not in the game, I wouldn't at all object if the likes of Edward came as a dagger unit. There have been weirder choices made in regards to weapons and it's make for a bit of a surprise (though the mythic caladbolg certainly doesn't lend itself to being a sword, but when you look at how big and sword like Yuri's knife is, that hardly seems a concern).

How about Priam then? IIRC, the ranged animation for Ragnell in Awakening is having it chucked straight on at the enemy.

14 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

How about Priam then? IIRC, the ranged animation for Ragnell in Awakening is having it chucked straight on at the enemy.

Would be a bit strange with it being called Ragnell still, but Yen'Fay's sword is similarly ranged by chunking and would have worked well as a knife, though they've already included it in the game as a sword on Say'ri.

4 minutes ago, Jotari said:

Would be a bit strange with it being called Ragnell still, but Yen'Fay's sword is similarly ranged by chunking and would have worked well as a knife, though they've already included it in the game as a sword on Say'ri.

-Call it me wanting to avoid the Falchion bloat. Marth, Alm, Chrom, Lucina, variations of Marth and Chrom. Rather than another Swordnell, for this non-player, it'd be a little less drab if they found any way they could to make it more different. And unfortunately, this isn't Musou, so stylistic differences in swordplay aren't so easy to show off.

12 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

-Call it me wanting to avoid the Falchion bloat. Marth, Alm, Chrom, Lucina, variations of Marth and Chrom. Rather than another Swordnell, for this non-player, it'd be a little less drab if they found any way they could to make it more different. And unfortunately, this isn't Musou, so stylistic differences in swordplay aren't so easy to show off.

Well I certainly wouldn't be upset if Priam turned up as a dagger unit. And it's be particularly amusing to me if the name convention suggested his Ragnell is a fake, which would make it being a knife less disconcerting (as I am quite squarely in the camp that Priam is a total poser with no relation to Ike).

Awakening, already virtually tied with Fates for the most represented continuity in Heroes jumps from 75% up to 84% of its cast in the game. There are only 8 characters left. You can literally count the number of Awakening characters missing from the game on two hands. The only other title to boast that fact is Tokyo Mirage Sessions. And Awakening is still managing to beat TMS in percentages. I know it's been like a year since we had an Awakening banner, but it really feels like Awakening shouldn't be this represented when other games have less than half their cast.

On 9/20/2021 at 11:51 PM, Interdimensional Observer said:

Alas it is not to be.

Edited by Jotari

3 hours ago, Jotari said:

I know it's been like a year since we had an Awakening banner, but it really feels like Awakening shouldn't be this represented when other games have less than half their cast.

Awakening had an 18 character (this doesn't include F!Robin since she wasn't obtainable at launch) head start over all the games with no representation at launch. 

It might not be fair (much like life in general), but Awakening was always going to more represented than games like PoR / RD and Thracia that had nothing at launch or the Archanea games that have a playable roster bloated with blatant, flat filler characters

1 hour ago, Tybrosion said:

Awakening had an 18 character (this doesn't include F!Robin since she wasn't obtainable at launch) head start over all the games with no representation at launch.

That's truly where the the problem lies. That's over a third of Awakening's roster. It was a short sighted move. And not even great for Awakening fans as it's kind of left a lot of Awakening units as quite underwhelming in Heroes. I suppose we'll be getting loads of alts of Awakening units in the future to compensate, like they've already done with Olivia.

1 hour ago, Jotari said:

That's truly where the the problem lies. That's over a third of Awakening's roster. It was a short sighted move. And not even great for Awakening fans as it's kind of left a lot of Awakening units as quite underwhelming in Heroes. I suppose we'll be getting loads of alts of Awakening units in the future to compensate, like they've already done with Olivia.

Yeah, and there are still popular enough characters that haven't gotten alts and/or a Resplendent at all (Lon'qu, Cherche, Donnel, etc.) or characters that got one alt in 2017 or 2018 and haven't gotten another since (Lissa, Nowi, Henry, adult Tiki, Gaius, etc.).

And of course, all of those early seasonals have aged horribly such as:

Summer Tiki
35/36/30/32/24

compared to:

Basilio
48/43/33/36/21

I notice you have FE4's cast listed at 62. That sounds off to me - Gen 1 has 24 units, while Gen 2 has 25 normal ones (the axe brothers share one of the 24 castle slots) and 14 substitutes (7 pairs). That makes 63, right?

5 hours ago, Othin said:

I notice you have FE4's cast listed at 62. That sounds off to me - Gen 1 has 24 units, while Gen 2 has 25 normal ones (the axe brothers share one of the 24 castle slots) and 14 substitutes (7 pairs). That makes 63, 

I'm checking over the list and I can't see anyone missing. I think you're counting Finn twice, as a gen 1 and gen 2 unit (which we might actually see, but it'll probably Thracia Finn for old and Genealogy Finn for young).

Edited by Jotari

8 hours ago, Jotari said:

I'm checking over the list and I can't see anyone missing. I think you're counting Finn twice, as a gen 1 and gen 2 unit (which we might actually see, but it'll probably Thracia Finn for old and Genealogy Finn for young).

Good point, that'd do it.