New Metroid Hype

Jotari

Finally after over ten years we're getting a new Metroid title. And after almost twenty years we're finally seeing the canon move beyond Metroid Fusion. Though from the looks of it sadly it doesn't seem like the Federation are going to be a villainous force in the story if Samus is investigating something for them. That's pretty lame, I really wanted to see a renegade Samus. Oh well, they'll probably keep some of the shadier elements from Fusion in tact. Also wow, Metroid 5, major shade being thrown on Other M there. Sure it was a pretty disappointing game, but that's kind of denying its existence. I guess they'll say it's because it wasn't a 2D game.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not a fan of the Metroid series, and in fact I've never actually played a Metroid game before, but I'm somewhat familiar with the series and I think it's cool that Metroid is finally getting a brand new game. Metroid has received almost as many accolades as Mario and The Legend of Zelda, but it's never had the widespread success that those series have had. Perhaps this will be a big first step in the series having greater success (or at least regaining some of the success it used to have).

I might get this game one day, but probably not on day 1 or even close. I know they said this game would be a good starting point for new players, but I still feel like I should play Super Metroid first simply because it and Prime are the two Metroid games that keep appearing on "top ten games of all time" lists. Plus, it's probably good to start with the older games since I know I want to try them, rather than play them after playing a newer game that probably has more refined controls and stuff like that.

I prefer 2D Metroid to 3D, and I found Samus Returns to be fun -although I dropped it against the digger robot battle. So I'm looking forward to this. I'm a casual Metroid fan, not a speedrunner at all, but I have fun, and that's what matters most.

Samus's new suit design is interesting. Initially, it brought the PED Suit of MP3 to mind. The iconic red with green highlights helmet and breastplate remain, but the rest is different. The pauldrons remind of Samus Returns, while the abandonment of the yellow-orange for white and light blue make this Samus distinctive. The overall appearance is sleeker than normal, with an unusually narrowing funnel on the Arm Cannon. The blue reminds me of both the Zero Suit and the Fusion Suit, leaning more toward the latter. I'd like to know why parts of the blue appear as though they are fibers that have been wrapped around the suit, it adds a seemingly organic element, reminiscent of the Metroid Prime in its second phase, and phazon generally.

Samus get a default near-total makeover, and I like it. It happened before with Fusion, but it is still remarkable, and makes me think of Link's Breath of the Wild revamp, as opposed to the long history of major and minor tweaks to the green-clad hero we've known for decades. What Nintendo is getting the next extreme makeover? Mario is due, but maybe Kirby or Donkey Kong instead.😛

30 minutes ago, vanguard333 said:

I might get this game one day, but probably not on day 1 or even close. I know they said this game would be a good starting point for new players, but I still feel like I should play Super Metroid first simply because it and Prime are the two Metroid games that keep appearing on "top ten games of all time" lists. Plus, it's probably good to start with the older games since I know I want to try them, rather than play them after playing a newer game that probably has more refined controls and stuff like that.

If you would like some guidance.:

• The original NES Metroid can safely be skipped, it hasn't aged well, and in particular lacks a map, which is very bad in a game where you're basically given no guidance on where to go.
    • Play Metroid: Zero Mission instead. The GBA remake of Samus's first adventure is great.
  • Metroid 2: Return of Samus can also be skipped. It hasn't aged as badly as the first game, but it's still old, and not much more than a historical curiosity at this point.
    • Metroid: Samus Returns the 3DS remake I consider good, as did many reviewers. Some fans don't like it though, seems to be they don't like the atmosphere or something.
    • Fans who don't like Samus Returns, often prefer the fan remake of Metroid 2- AMR2 or something is its abbreviation. Nintendo shut it down before they announced their remake, but it should still be somewhere online.
  • Super Metroid is a crown jewel of the SNES. Still beloved to this day, a few nitpicks from its age, but otherwise a timeless classic. Must play.
  • Metroid Fusion I also consider good. But like with Samus Returns, not all fans agree, preferring Zero Mission as their GBA Metroid game.
    • Probably the biggest issue with Fusion is it is more linear, with a computer AI telling you where to go next much of the time. But to be fair, Metroid looks nonlinear, but kinda always has been linear- since where you can go is limited by which power ups you've obtained, forcing a kind of "sequence" of progression on you. The lack of "sequence-breaks" isn't something a casual Metroid fan would pay much attention to.
  • Metroid Prime is its own monster. One can like 2D Metroid without liking 3D Metroid, vice versa, or they could like both. What they share is a similar sense of exploration and action done in totally different mediums. 
    • Metroid Prime 1 is roughly a nonliteral Super Metroid in 3D form. A solid start to the Prime trilogy.
    • Metroid Prime 2: Echoes is has its faults, but also improves on Prime 1 in some ways. Namely, boss fights are more frequent and better.
    • Metroid Prime 3: Corruption is more of a typical FPS than the prior two games, as it is more linear and has more shooting, though some exploration remains.
    • Metroid Prime: Hunters is impressive in that it was possible on the standard DS at all, with some neat multiplayer back in the day. But dependent on touch controls and a lesser, if still good, experience overall. 
    • Metroid Prime Pinball is an okay spinoff, not much more to say.
  • Other M and Federation Force can be safely skipped, unless you want to experience the games, that while not terrible, nonetheless attracted little but ire in the Metroid community. -I haven't played either myself. 

1 hour ago, Jotari said:

Also wow, Metroid 5, major shade being thrown on Other M there. Sure it was a pretty disappointing game, but that's kind of denying its existence. I guess they'll say it's because it wasn't a 2D game.

Well think of the alternative. If they call it Metroid 6, it becomes confusing when people boot up Fusion and the first thing they see is Nintendo Presents...Metroid 4. Even if it retroactively is a Metroid 5. I don't see any shade at Other M. I always thought Nintendo dropped the internal numbering scheme beginning with Prime 1 given how that trilogy's placement in the main series chronology never made sense. By the time Other M was announced we knew up front it was a sequel to Super, not Fusion, so nobody was saying Metroid 5. 

And after almost twenty years we're finally seeing the canon move beyond Metroid Fusion. Though from the looks of it sadly it doesn't seem like the Federation are going to be a villainous force in the story if Samus is investigating something for them.

This is certainly interesting, because Samus has found out on several occasions that the Federation is involved in illegal bioweapons development, including the breeding of genetically modified Metroids. The fact that Samus sees no moral issues working with them at this point is definitely something that seems vital to explore in a new game. I wouldn't count it out at this point. The Fusion sequel in my head always opens with Samus being court marshalled for her actions in that game. Only her and her Ship's AI (Adam) know the truth of what happened there as the Federation would take steps to cover it up. So the first bit of gameplay would have to be a prison escape sequence. If there's one thing Samus excels at more than any other video game character, it's escaping narrow, confined spaces. She's like the inverse Solid Snake, exfiltration is her specialty. She'd have her power suit still (since it's supposedly grafted onto her body and allegedly can't be taken off anymore), but her weapons systems can be disabled while she's a prisoner which would explain her reset to zero on having access to beams and missiles.

Edited by Glennstavos

Well, I've seen people theorize already the whole mission is a ruse to kill Samus. Malfunctioning/Damaged/Something-clearly-happened robots that hunt down Samus? Could be it may not entirely be unintended...

Still, I'd like it best if that expectation is subverted. It'd be a bigger cliché for Samus forced to go rouge, I'd say.

Also, since the investigation is apparently about possible still existent X parasites (which is why those robots were sent in at first), Samus may not had a choice to refuse in any case...

Edited by Acacia Sgt

3 hours ago, Jotari said:

Also wow, Metroid 5, major shade being thrown on Other M there. Sure it was a pretty disappointing game, but that's kind of denying its existence. I guess they'll say it's because it wasn't a 2D game.

Other M was never part of the numbering. It was more like Metroid 3.5.

It deserves to have its existence denied, though.

4 hours ago, vanguard333 said:

I'm not a fan of the Metroid series, and in fact I've never actually played a Metroid game before, but I'm somewhat familiar with the series and I think it's cool that Metroid is finally getting a brand new game. Metroid has received almost as many accolades as Mario and The Legend of Zelda, but it's never had the widespread success that those series have had. Perhaps this will be a big first step in the series having greater success (or at least regaining some of the success it used to have).

I would actually suggest Metroid Fusion as the entry point into the series. It's controls are a bit more fluid than Super Metroid and it actually having a story would probably be more enticing to first time players compared to Super Metroid which tells its story using pure atmosphere.

3 hours ago, Glennstavos said:

Well think of the alternative. If they call it Metroid 6, it becomes confusing when people boot up Fusion and the first thing they see is Nintendo Presents...Metroid 4. Even if it retroactively is a Metroid 5. I don't see any shade at Other M. I always thought Nintendo dropped the internal numbering scheme beginning with Prime 1 given how that trilogy's placement in the main series chronology never made sense. By the time Other M was announced we knew up front it was a sequel to Super, not Fusion, so nobody was saying Metroid 5. 

There's really no onus for numbered titles to show timeline pacing. In fact I'd say it's much rarer for prequels to have a number placed below later titles made before it. Basically the only series I can think of that actually did that was Star Wars, barring some series which might give a prequel 0 as a number.

Of course the obvious choice would be to just not number it at all, as aside from Metroid II, numbers have never been a large part of the marketing compared to the subtitles.

This is certainly interesting, because Samus has found out on several occasions that the Federation is involved in illegal bioweapons development, including the breeding of genetically modified Metroids. The fact that Samus sees no moral issues working with them at this point is definitely something that seems vital to explore in a new game. I wouldn't count it out at this point. The Fusion sequel in my head always opens with Samus being court marshalled for her actions in that game. Only her and her Ship's AI (Adam) know the truth of what happened there as the Federation would take steps to cover it up. So the first bit of gameplay would have to be a prison escape sequence. If there's one thing Samus excels at more than any other video game character, it's escaping narrow, confined spaces. She's like the inverse Solid Snake, exfiltration is her specialty. She'd have her power suit still (since it's supposedly grafted onto her body and allegedly can't be taken off anymore), but her weapons systems can be disabled while she's a prisoner which would explain her reset to zero on having access to beams and missiles.

It's not just them being shady as fuck that makes her working with them strange, she literally defied their orders and blew up a space station. That's an outright criminal action against them. It shows she's not their lap dog they can use to throw at whatever threat they can't handle, and that she's actively a force that can interfere with their more authoritarian designs. The ending of Fusion outright has them with a goal that she thwarts.

2 hours ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Well, I've seen people theorize already the whole mission is a ruse to kill Samus. Malfunctioning/Damaged/Something-clearly-happened robots that hunt down Samus? Could be it may not entirely be unintended...

Still, I'd like it best if that expectation is subverted. It'd be a bigger cliché for Samus forced to go rouge, I'd say.

Also, since the investigation is apparently about possible still existent X parasites (which is why those robots were sent in at first), Samus may not had a choice to refuse in any case...

Admittedly characters going rogue is a bit of a cliche, but I think it's one that could work well for Metroid given it's plots are all extremely cookie cutter. "There's an issue on this planet, our first team were wiped out, send Samus in to investigate." Having the federation be the bad guys would actually inject some life into the series. And it would kind of put Samus out of her element, uh, while simultaneously putting her in her element. Samus has always worked alone, but that support from the Federation was tacitly there. So taking it away would give a new dimension on things but wouldn't actually interfere with Samus doing her typical Samus schtick.

Edited by Jotari

15 minutes ago, Jotari said:

It's not just them being shady as fuck that makes her working with them strange, she literally defied their orders and blew up a space station. That's an outright criminal action against them. It shows she's not their lap dog they can use to throw at whatever threat they can't handle, and that she's actively a force that can interfere with their more authoritarian designs. The ending of Fusion outright has them with a goal that she thwarts.

Admittedly characters going rogue is a bit of a cliche, but I think it's one that could work well for Metroid given it's plots are all extremely cookie cutter. "There's an issue on this planet, our first team were wiped out, send Samus in to investigate." Having the federation be the bad guys would actually inject some life into the series. And it would kind of put Samus out of her element, uh, while simultaneously putting her in her element. Samus has always worked alone, but that support from the Federation was tacitly there. So taking it away would give a new dimension on things but wouldn't actually interfere with Samus doing her typical Samus schtick.

I mean, considering this game is meant to be a story arc finale, it's likely we might see that particular plot point developed in this game, to set up a future story arc.

As I mentioned, since the reason the robots and Samus are in the planet to begin with is because it may have X parasites. Samus wouldn't refuse complying with the Federation on this, and if the whole thing is a plan within the organization to have Samus killed... but well, it's too early to say.

3 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

If you would like some guidance.:

• The original NES Metroid can safely be skipped, it hasn't aged well, and in particular lacks a map, which is very bad in a game where you're basically given no guidance on where to go.
    • Play Metroid: Zero Mission instead. The GBA remake of Samus's first adventure is great.
  • Metroid 2: Return of Samus can also be skipped. It hasn't aged as badly as the first game, but it's still old, and not much more than a historical curiosity at this point.
    • Metroid: Samus Returns the 3DS remake I consider good, as did many reviewers. Some fans don't like it though, seems to be they don't like the atmosphere or something.
    • Fans who don't like Samus Returns, often prefer the fan remake of Metroid 2- AMR2 or something is its abbreviation. Nintendo shut it down before they announced their remake, but it should still be somewhere online.
  • Super Metroid is a crown jewel of the SNES. Still beloved to this day, a few nitpicks from its age, but otherwise a timeless classic. Must play.
  • Metroid Fusion I also consider good. But like with Samus Returns, not all fans agree, preferring Zero Mission as their GBA Metroid game.
    • Probably the biggest issue with Fusion is it is more linear, with a computer AI telling you where to go next much of the time. But to be fair, Metroid looks nonlinear, but kinda always has been linear- since where you can go is limited by which power ups you've obtained, forcing a kind of "sequence" of progression on you. The lack of "sequence-breaks" isn't something a casual Metroid fan would pay much attention to.
  • Metroid Prime is its own monster. One can like 2D Metroid without liking 3D Metroid, vice versa, or they could like both. What they share is a similar sense of exploration and action done in totally different mediums. 
    • Metroid Prime 1 is roughly a nonliteral Super Metroid in 3D form. A solid start to the Prime trilogy.
    • Metroid Prime 2: Echoes is has its faults, but also improves on Prime 1 in some ways. Namely, boss fights are more frequent and better.
    • Metroid Prime 3: Corruption is more of a typical FPS than the prior two games, as it is more linear and has more shooting, though some exploration remains.
    • Metroid Prime: Hunters is impressive in that it was possible on the standard DS at all, with some neat multiplayer back in the day. But dependent on touch controls and a lesser, if still good, experience overall. 
    • Metroid Prime Pinball is an okay spinoff, not much more to say.
  • Other M and Federation Force can be safely skipped, unless you want to experience the games, that while not terrible, nonetheless attracted little but ire in the Metroid community. -I haven't played either myself. 

Thanks. I already knew about a lot of that stuff like the original NES Metroid not aging well and lacking a map thanks to some videos I've seen dissecting the series (a particularly good one was a video about the series by a YouTuber named Nerrel; I found out about his channel because of a video he made on the Majora's Mask remake).

28 minutes ago, Jotari said:

I would actually suggest Metroid Fusion as the entry point into the series. It's controls are a bit more fluid than Super Metroid and it actually having a story would probably be more enticing to first time players compared to Super Metroid which tells its story using pure atmosphere.

Thanks. As I said though, I feel like it would probably be better for me to try the one with the less fluid controls first since I know I'm going to be trying more than one game in the series. Plus, that idea of telling the story using pure atmosphere sounds really neat. The main reason I'm interested in trying the Metroid series right now is that I want to try something dripping with atmosphere where I can explore and get lost (while also experiencing some more classic Nintendo titles that I somehow never played).

So, in short, the list of ones to definitely play is: Super, Fusion, Prime (either the trilogy or just the first one), and probably Dread after it releases. Thanks, everyone.

32 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

I mean, considering this game is meant to be a story arc finale, it's likely we might see that particular plot point developed in this game, to set up a future story arc.

As I mentioned, since the reason the robots and Samus are in the planet to begin with is because it may have X parasites. Samus wouldn't refuse complying with the Federation on this, and if the whole thing is a plan within the organization to have Samus killed... but well, it's too early to say.

Indeed we will have to wait and see. Though I hope they at least acknowledge that the Federation isn't happy with Samus and she's less trusting of them as a result of Fusion's ending.

17 minutes ago, vanguard333 said:

Thanks. I already knew about a lot of that stuff like the original NES Metroid not aging well and lacking a map thanks to some videos I've seen dissecting the series (a particularly good one was a video about the series by a YouTuber named Nerrel; I found out about his channel because of a video he made on the Majora's Mask remake).

Thanks. As I said though, I feel like it would probably be better for me to try the one with the less fluid controls first since I know I'm going to be trying more than one game in the series. Plus, that idea of telling the story using pure atmosphere sounds really neat. The main reason I'm interested in trying the Metroid series right now is that I want to try something dripping with atmosphere where I can explore and get lost (while also experiencing some more classic Nintendo titles that I somehow never played).

So, in short, the list of ones to definitely play is: Super, Fusion, Prime (either the trilogy or just the first one), and probably Dread after it releases. Thanks, everyone.

Oh you should absolutely love Super Metroid then.

4 hours ago, Glennstavos said:

She'd have her power suit still (since it's supposedly grafted onto her body and allegedly can't be taken off anymore), but her weapons systems can be disabled while she's a prisoner which would explain her reset to zero on having access to beams and missiles.

Oh yeah regarding the power suit, I don't think they ever say she can't take her suit off. The opening says that the doctors treating her couldn't remove the suit while she was unconscious and so had to surgically remove parts of it, but I can't recall any reference that says Samus herself can't remove it under her own volition in the normal way, and there's not much reason to think she can't, as the only thing different about her is the Metroid DNA in her now which has no real reason to interfere with her suit. We also see her take it off for the 100% clear of Metroid Fusion. It's not really a canon scene, but they do use her final Ice Beam version of the Fusion Suit for the graphic and if they wanted to imply it was a plot point that it can't be removed they could have shown unsuited Samus in some other way for the ending screen.

On another note, it'll be very interesting to see how they handle AI!Adam's character, or if they even put him in the game, after the backlash from Other M.

Edited by Jotari

Yeah, the "can't take the suit off" was clearly just something that happened while X-infested. Once that got taken care of, there'd be no issues as usual.

15 minutes ago, vanguard333 said:

Plus, that idea of telling the story using pure atmosphere sounds really neat. The main reason I'm interested in trying the Metroid series right now is that I want to try something dripping with atmosphere where I can explore and get lost

Prime could definitely be good for you. All three of them, but particularly the first two, tell much of their "stories" through lore and analysis of the environment. The important thing then- is to use the Scan Visor on everything.

26 minutes ago, Jotari said:

On another note, it'll be very interesting to see how they handle AI!Adam's character, or if they even put him in the game, after the backlash from Other M.

Oh, he's in it. He's providing the same role as in Fusion. 

I figured Adam's appearance is what people meant when they say Samus is under orders from the Federation, because I have seen no reference to them in Metroid Dread.

1 hour ago, Jotari said:

So Fusion's take on the Federation's morality is hard to discern due to lack of nuance. Other M's interpretation is that the Federation isn't just under the leadership of one shadowy figure or cabal of evildoers. There's good and bad people - kind of like a real world government. And when Samus exposes those dark secrets, it gets some of those bad eggs locked up. Not to make Metroid sound like a spy thriller, but there's yet another possibility where the good guys are getting Samus on missions to suspicious planets for the purpose of uncovering those wrongdoings. A government "fixer". And that could be why Samus feels justified in working with them if it ultimately makes the galaxy a safer place. But like I said these games have very rarely suggested that level of nuance and it's up to new entries to clarify Samus' relationship to the Federation and her ultimate role in the universe. The pieces for a good story are there, they just need to be assembled.

1 hour ago, Glennstavos said:

Oh, he's in it. He's providing the same role as in Fusion. 

I figured Adam's appearance is what people meant when they say Samus is under orders from the Federation, because I have seen no reference to them in Metroid Dread.

Good to know. Nintendo's lack of care for Metroid did have part of me worried they'd just say it was after Fusion to bring the X back and not give any consideration to the actual plot and lore.

1 hour ago, Glennstavos said:

So Fusion's take on the Federation's morality is hard to discern due to lack of nuance. Other M's interpretation is that the Federation isn't just under the leadership of one shadowy figure or cabal of evildoers. There's good and bad people - kind of like a real world government. And when Samus exposes those dark secrets, it gets some of those bad eggs locked up. Not to make Metroid sound like a spy thriller, but there's yet another possibility where the good guys are getting Samus on missions to suspicious planets for the purpose of uncovering those wrongdoings. A government "fixer". And that could be why Samus feels justified in working with them if it ultimately makes the galaxy a safer place. But like I said these games have very rarely suggested that level of nuance and it's up to new entries to clarify Samus' relationship to the Federation and her ultimate role in the universe. The pieces for a good story are there, they just need to be assembled.

That's not entirely from Other M alone (which isn't all that surprising since about half of Other M are plot points ripped off from Fusion). Even the ending of Fusion does have Samus and Adam discussing they've done and how it'll be controversial within the federation, but how there are good people who will stick by them. Simultaneously though it does make it clear that it was a serious move to make and that there will be consequences.

Edited by Jotari

Is there anything showing that Samus is working for the Federation this time? Per Wikitroid, the Federation finds evidence of surviving X Parasites and sends the E.M.M.I. to investigate, and Samus learns of this and goes to investigate herself. I assumed the E.M.M.I. were created to hunt down Samus, but it seems that isn't the case for now.

Something else the game will likely follow up on is the

from Samus Returns. It's likely this character will make a proper appearance in this game. My guess for how the plot will go is

Spoiler

Samus finds the rogue Chozo faction and learns they plan to use their own population of Metroids to take over the galaxy! Naturally, Samus must stop them.

Also, Ridley will show up late in the game. How? Either the Chozo made their own clone of him, or they somehow saved him after Samus defeated him for the last time on Zebes. They might plan to make use of him as an attack dog, but he'll probably betray them.

6 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

But like with Samus Returns, not all fans agree, preferring Zero Mission as their GBA Metroid game.

hey, this defines me really well! ZM is superior to Fusion! XD

Seriously, i'm hyped for this game, as a HUGE 2d Metroid fan, i always wanted them to back from 3D.

4 minutes ago, Lightchao42 said:

Is there anything showing that Samus is working for the Federation this time? Per Wikitroid, the Federation finds evidence of surviving X Parasites and sends the E.M.M.I. to investigate, and Samus learns of this and goes to investigate herself. I assumed the E.M.M.I. were created to hunt down Samus, but it seems that isn't the case for now.

Something else the game will likely follow up on is the

Hide contents

from Samus Returns. It's likely this character will make a proper appearance in this game. My guess for how the plot will go is

Hide contents

Samus finds the rogue Chozo faction and learns they plan to use their own population of Metroids to take over the galaxy! Naturally, Samus must stop them.

Also, Ridley will show up late in the game. How? Either the Chozo made their own clone of him, or they somehow saved him after Samus defeated him for the last time on Zebes. They might plan to make use of him as an attack dog, but he'll probably betray them.

Much as I love Ridley, I hope they don't bring him back for this game. There's really no way it can be done at this point that won't be super contrived. The clone thing worked well once as an explanation, but I think doing it again will just strain credibility. Though if they're absolutely insistent on doing it, Samus might actually has some of Ridley's DNA inside her now due to his corpse getting eaten by an X and Samus then absorbing that X. Best way I could see them utilizing Ridley without it being contrived would be a battle against him within Samus's own mind alongside some other fusion bosses in a trippy sequence where she's attacked by some psychic monster or a break down in her physiology due to absorbing X.

11 minutes ago, Jotari said:

Much as I love Ridley, I hope they don't bring him back for this game. There's really no way it can be done at this point that won't be super contrived. The clone thing worked well once as an explanation, but I think doing it again will just strain credibility. Though if they're absolutely insistent on doing it, Samus might actually has some of Ridley's DNA inside her now due to his corpse getting eaten by an X and Samus then absorbing that X. Best way I could see them utilizing Ridley without it being contrived would be a battle against him within Samus's own mind alongside some other fusion bosses in a trippy sequence where she's attacked by some psychic monster or a break down in her physiology due to absorbing X.

I mean, if the rumors of X parasites ends up true, nothing says it can't include a copy of Ridley-X. I doubt the X, big on self preservation the ones on the station were willing to blow it up so long it kills Samus since the X on the planet would live, wouldn't have at least one flee from B.S.L once it was clear it was gonna crash onto the planet. And Ridley would be a prime form to flee the station into the vastness of space...

Edited by Acacia Sgt

Hopefully they go back to the Fusion/ZM style of finding power-ups. I loved the idea of exploring every nook and cranny to find everything and using the knowledge you learn throughout the game to get them. 3D games didn't capture this as well, imo.

Just found out today there was thirty more minutes of treehouse footage that I missed yesterday. One notable reveal there is the game's fast travel system. It looks like the game world is cut up into several zones just like in Metroid 2/Samus Returns. Will the elevators be the only means of going from one area to another, or will it be a Fusion deal where entrance and exits directly between areas do exist, you just need to find them. Or perhaps a story sequence locks out the elevators and you're forced to find such exits in order to progress. 

Also of note is that despite the cumulative hour of footage, they still didn't get the morph ball. I'm sure what we saw was early sections of the game, but it's weird to think that the morph ball is a mid-game ability. We only know for sure it's in the game from a two second shot of the trailer. We know the spider ball ability isn't coming back, and that the slide is even more ideal for getting through gaps and under enemeis. What's left for the morph ball to really add to Samus' toolset? Just traversal of longer tunnel systems? Hopefully there's something really unique regarding its use in this game if it's not just part of Samus' base kit. Maybe it's time for them to bring back the boost ball and half pipes from Metroid Prime. Better yet, maybe Prime 4 will have some kind of grind rails for the morph ball, and then we'll have a Tony Hawk game on our hands.

Edited by Glennstavos

I'm pretty sure I saw long-enough small tunnels on the footage. So it's likely the Morph Ball is indeed now mid-game, with the slide being the early game utility. Or yeah, it now has some other potential use to justify its delay in adquisition.

I am SUPER hyped for this. I've had a big itch for a new 2D Metroid for a long time now. Samus Returns was great, but it didn't fully scratch that itch. But this? Dread? Heck yeah! Consider the itch scratched. And it's a sequel to Fusion, which is hype enough on its own. Moving beyond Fusion in the timeline is a little overdue, I'm very happy to see it happening.

11 hours ago, Jotari said:

Nah, I see no shade, and I say that as a fan of Other M. Every Metroid game that was labeled "Metroid 1/2/3/4/5" has followed a sequential order, as in they all take place after the preceding numbered game. The original/Zero Mission was 1, Metroid II/Samus Returns took place after the original and was 2, Super took place after Metroid II and was 3, Fusion took place after Super and was 4, and now we're getting Dread taking place after Fusion and being labeled 5. Each numbered game follows the mainline narrative of Samus and the Metroids (straight from the mouth of Yoshio Sakamoto), whereas the Prime games and Other M all take place between the numbered games and have a bit of a different focus (although Metroids are still present, in some capacity). The Primes take place between Metroid 1 and 2, and Other M takes place between Super and Fusion. The Primes and Other M are canon, but more "spin-off" than mainline.

4 hours ago, Lightchao42 said:

I assumed the E.M.M.I. were created to hunt down Samus, but it seems that isn't the case for now.

As far as I know, why they are hunting Samus isn't known yet, though my favorite theory so far is that they were created to hunt metroids and since Samus is basically part Metroid now, well...