New Metroid Hype

Jotari

27 minutes ago, Florete said:

As far as I know, why they are hunting Samus isn't known yet, though my favorite theory so far is that they were created to hunt metroids and since Samus is basically part Metroid now, well...

That'd be a bit odd, considering Metroids are just about gone. Unless they were built long before Metroid II, or still were, but then Samus did their job before they were ready.

Then again, after two secret cloning facilities...

Edited by Acacia Sgt

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, Fire Emblem Fan said:

I am SUPER hyped for this. I've had a big itch for a new 2D Metroid for a long time now. Samus Returns was great, but it didn't fully scratch that itch. But this? Dread? Heck yeah! Consider the itch scratched. And it's a sequel to Fusion, which is hype enough on its own. Moving beyond Fusion in the timeline is a little overdue, I'm very happy to see it happening.

Nah, I see no shade, and I say that as a fan of Other M. Every Metroid game that was labeled "Metroid 1/2/3/4/5" has followed a sequential order, as in they all take place after the preceding numbered game. The original/Zero Mission was 1, Metroid II/Samus Returns took place after the original and was 2, Super took place after Metroid II and was 3, Fusion took place after Super and was 4, and now we're getting Dread taking place after Fusion and being labeled 5. Each numbered game follows the mainline narrative of Samus and the Metroids (straight from the mouth of Yoshio Sakamoto), whereas the Prime games and Other M all take place between the numbered games and have a bit of a different focus (although Metroids are still present, in some capacity). The Primes take place between Metroid 1 and 2, and Other M takes place between Super and Fusion. The Primes and Other M are canon, but more "spin-off" than mainline.

That's not how Other M was marketed. It was very much a presented as a return to the mainline series (after a long absence, yeah Metroid does that long absence thing rather often) with the Prime games being a spin off.

Edited by Jotari

10 hours ago, Acacia Sgt said:

That'd be a bit odd, considering Metroids are just about gone. Unless they were built long before Metroid II, or still were, but then Samus did their job before they were ready.

Then again, after two secret cloning facilities...

What if it turns out they've been cloning new Metroids using some of the cells extracted from the baby Metroid in Fusion? Like, maybe there's a stinger at the end that shows a bunch of new Metroids being grown in a lab, foreshadowing Metroid 6.

9 minutes ago, Lord_Brand said:

What if it turns out they've been cloning new Metroids using some of the cells extracted from the baby Metroid in Fusion? Like, maybe there's a stinger at the end that shows a bunch of new Metroids being grown in a lab, foreshadowing Metroid 6.

That's pretty much already done in both Other M and Fusion. Not to mention, it was stated Dread would be the end of the Metroids story arc. Whatever they work on after this is unlikely to still be about the Metroids themselves, so I doubt they'd put such a stinger since it'd be unlikely to go anywhere.

1 hour ago, Acacia Sgt said:

That's pretty much already done in both Other M and Fusion. Not to mention, it was stated Dread would be the end of the Metroids story arc. Whatever they work on after this is unlikely to still be about the Metroids themselves, so I doubt they'd put such a stinger since it'd be unlikely to go anywhere.

All that's being said is:

"[It's the] conclusion to one story arc," Sakamoto said. "What I can say upfront is that Samus' adventure will continue. How will it continue? Well, first things first, I believe that if and when you clear Dread, you will have a clear idea. Beyond that, we will continue to work hard so we can meet expectations and keep surprising you guys with exciting gameplay experiences."

I wouldn't count out Metroids in future games - they've gone 'extinct' before after all. Ha...imagine a metroid game without metroids.

Oh right, Prime Hunters.

Maybe Samus should just raise her own army of metroids and instate her own galactic order. That'd be my retirement plan.

Edited by Glennstavos

3 minutes ago, Glennstavos said:

I wouldn't count out Metroids in future games - they've gone 'extinct' before after all. Ha...imagine a metroid game without metroids.

Oh right, Prime Hunters.

Maybe Samus should just raise her own army of metroids and instate her own galactic order.

There's also this:

The Metroid story until this point has dealt with Samus’ strange fate that’s been intertwined around this being called the Metroid. And until now, that has been the focus of the series. But what this game represents is a bit of a pause, or kind of a new start to something else.

Her story with the Metroids is coming to an end, very possibly.

Your own article even has this:

One surprising element announced about Metroid Dread is it will mark the end of the storyline for Samus and her connection to the parasitic Metroids.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

1 hour ago, Glennstavos said:

Oh right, Prime Hunters.

Maybe Samus should just raise her own army of metroids and instate her own galactic order. That'd be my retirement plan.

Samus has is a Metroid hybrid now, so technically any games set later will have Metroids present in the form of Samus, unless they like purge her DNA or something in this installment. Maybe it is all a trap but not to kill Samus, but to get access to her Metroid DNA, though logically if the Federation has a cell culture to provide the vaccine for Samus then they should still have enough cells in general to clone it themselves. It'd be sort of weird if only that singular cell culture was all they had. I doubt we could see it, but it'd actually be really sensible for everyone in the federation to start taking the vaccine that made Samus able to absorb the X and turn the whole galaxy into Metroid hybrids (or at least everyone who's a member of the Federation, and then use the X as a bio weapon against everyone else).

Considering they'd also receive the cold vulnerability, I doubt it'd be that good of an idea.

... that said, maybe someone was indeed planning something like that, hence being seemingly unconcerned about wanting to use the X...

Edited by Acacia Sgt

1 hour ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Your own article even has this:

That's the author teeing up what the game director really has to say about it. Saying that the end of Samus' relationship to Metroids is not implying that Metroids themselves will disappear from the series moving forward. And in the direct video he acknowledges that it's a mystery fans will probably speculate about until they finish the game. Only then will we know what he means.

1 minute ago, Glennstavos said:

That's the author teeing up what the game director really has to say about it. Saying that the end of Samus' relationship to Metroids is not implying that Metroids themselves will disappear from the series moving forward. And in the direct video he acknowledges that it's a mystery fans will probably speculate about until they finish the game. Only then will we know what he means.

Doesn't change the fact the other article has an actual quote outright saying about being possibly the end of Samus and her story being intertwined with the Metroids.

13 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Doesn't change the fact the other article has an actual quote outright saying about being possibly the end of Samus and her story being intertwined with the Metroids.

We can sit here all day and discuss possibilities. But you can't go around saying Metroids are gone after this game. We don't know what sort of shift in the status quo he's alluding to.

I'm down for more Metroid, though I'll always feel bad for the poor SA-X for being so utterly abandoned(seriously, there's ONE reference to it in Smash and it's a WIN POSE, this upsets me).

Also if they're hunting Samus for her DNA, as has been suggested here, easy answer make a crossover with A Robot Named Fight, can't hunt DNA from something with no DNA

17 minutes ago, SoulWeaver said:

I'm down for more Metroid, though I'll always feel bad for the poor SA-X for being so utterly abandoned(seriously, there's ONE reference to it in Smash and it's a WIN POSE, this upsets me).

Also if they're hunting Samus for her DNA, as has been suggested here, easy answer make a crossover with A Robot Named Fight, can't hunt DNA from something with no DNA

Well at least they're playing off the atmosphere of the SA-X with the robots in this game, if not the character. It is quite reminiscent of how the SA-X functioned in Fusion.

Meanwhile, Faia Emuburemu has done without its titular item in the second game (and its remake), shoehorned it last-minute into the fourth, gone in the fifth, shows up for just one segment of story in the seventh, and was smashed before the game actually began in the eighth.

And let's not forget barring Dark Samus being what it is, MP2 & 3 barely had the literal spherical parasites around. It ain't just Hunters that more or less did without them.

I mean, Metroids themselves only really had a large enough presence in Metroid II. In the first game they only appeared at the very end (to the point it's a meme to refer to Samus as Metroid, in the same kind of joke that Zelda is Link's name). In Super it was just the Baby. In Fusion the highlight is that their absence means the X parasites could flourish again, and outside the Omega Metroid fought as a final boss, only the fact Samus now has Metroid DNA is actually important.

As a story point they do have presence across the main games... which is what they're saying will end with Dread.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

20 hours ago, Jotari said:

That's not how Other M was marketed. It was very much a presented as a return to the mainline series (after a long absence, yeah Metroid does that long absence thing rather often) with the Prime games being a spin off.

A return to a more 2D style, yeah, but it was NEVER marketed as mainline Metroid 5. They were pretty clear that it took place between Super and Fusion.

7 hours ago, Fire Emblem Fan said:

A return to a more 2D style, yeah, but it was NEVER marketed as mainline Metroid 5. They were pretty clear that it took place between Super and Fusion.

I never said it was marketed as Metroid 5. It was marketed as a return to the actual canon separate from Prime and in continuity with the 2D titles. It was presented as being as much a Metroid game as Super Metroid or Fusion.

4 hours ago, Jotari said:

I never said it was marketed as Metroid 5. It was marketed as a return to the actual canon separate from Prime and in continuity with the 2D titles. It was presented as being as much a Metroid game as Super Metroid or Fusion.

I mean...the Prime games were also marketed as actual canon and share the same continuity as the 2D games, and were also marketed as being as much a Metroid game as Super or Fusion. Just in first-person.

1 hour ago, Fire Emblem Fan said:

I mean...the Prime games were also marketed as actual canon and share the same continuity as the 2D games, and were also marketed as being as much a Metroid game as Super or Fusion. Just in first-person.

They weren't really. That's why they always had Prime as a sub header. It was an experimental project given to an American company and not made in house that turned out to be quite successful. When Other M came along they directly contradicted the canon of it.

50 minutes ago, Jotari said:

They weren't really. That's why they always had Prime as a sub header. It was an experimental project given to an American company and not made in house that turned out to be quite successful. When Other M came along they directly contradicted the canon of it.

They were, though, and Other M absolutely did not directly contradict the canon of the Prime games. Nintendo and the Metroid team has maintained that the timeline of the series is Metroid/Zero Mission > the Prime games > Metroid II/Samus Returns > Super > Other M > Fusion (> and now Dread). They've maintained the timeline for years, before and after Other M, they've just added to it as the Primes and Other M have come out. And this isn't me theorizing, this is information straight from Nintendo and Yoshio Sakamoto over the years.

How Metroid Other M was actually sold to us

The very first thing communicated is that it's being developed by a separate team (Team Ninja) in order to have a more mature take on a Nintendo IP. That's true if you were watching the Direct or watching the Trailer on its own later. The emphasis is on what's different. To use Reggie's actual words, A deeper take on the Metroid universe, an old game revitalized to be new again. E3 2010 had to stress that the sense of isolation and exploration isn't lost (lol, not even I'll defend the latter).  

If anything, the implication is that Metroid Prime is the "old" Metroid. And in fact what was the last Metroid game made in house by Nintendo? Metroid Prime Hunters. Not Zero Mission. I remember watching and rewatching Other M's trailers and thinking Finally, Something that's not Prime. Four games and a spinoff in a row with only a remake of 1 in between them. Thinking back, I wouldn't mind having that absurd volume of samey Metroid games again. 

4 hours ago, Jotari said:

They weren't really. That's why they always had Prime as a sub header.

What does this mean? What was special about the title "Metroid Prime" compared to "Metroid Fusion"?