Growth rate oddity

Edelgard's personal classes both increase her magic growths (Armored Lord by 5% and Emperor by 10%), but neither class allows the use of Reason or Faith magic.  Outside of Bolt Axe and Hexblade, what's the point?

As you noted it (very slightly) increases her damage with magic weapons and magic combat arts.

That said IMO Emperor really should have been able to use magic. It would have still been an underwhelming class but it'd be a nice extra niche it has, being both a physical Axefaire class and having access to Luna and some healing.

7 minutes ago, Dark Holy Elf said:

As you noted it (very slightly) increases her damage with magic weapons and magic combat arts.

That said IMO Emperor really should have been able to use magic. It would have still been an underwhelming class but it'd be a nice extra niche it has, being both a physical Axefaire class and having access to Luna and some healing.

Makes for a nice reference to Alvis's Emperor class too.

I’ve heard the same complaint myself. Edelgard not being able wield magic as an Emperor is such a missed opportunity. She would have at least gotten some options as an armored unit that uses magic. Otherwise, as an Emperor she does get access to Lightning Axe as a magic combat art with an A rank in axes. Something that Sylvain and Annette also get but Annette gets it at a C+ rank.

Also what FE is Alvis from?

4 minutes ago, Jotari said:

Makes for a nice reference to Alvis's Emperor class too.

Agreed! Edelgard's already a reference to him in some ways, it feels like a strange miss.

12 minutes ago, Barren said:

Also what FE is Alvis from?

Alvis (or Arvis as he's now officially called) is from Fire Emblem: Genealogy of the Holy War (FE4). There are some parallels between him and Edelgard, namely

Spoiler

They're both emperors who are strongly associated with the fire element (Edelgard is the Flame Emperor, while Arvis wields the legendary fire tome Valflame), they both feel passionately about changing the world for the better (though in Arvis's case this is mostly limited to one small dialog sequence, since FE4 doesn't give its antagonists that much screentime), and both work with a sketchy shadowy organization to achieve their goals, though this doesn't end up going well for Arvis.

50 minutes ago, Dark Holy Elf said:

Agreed! Edelgard's already a reference to him in some ways, it feels like a strange miss.

And if they were thinking cross production, the Emperor class having magic access would have been great for Heroes. Since three of the five Edelgard's are axe armours and we've never had an armoured mage in Heroes that isn't a random seasonal. Alas it was not to be.

Her "personal" battalion also boosts her Magical attack. It's like they set up all the pieces to make her a hybrid combatant... and then gave her a "Fortress Knight, but worse" personal class. Not sure what the thought process was here.

1 minute ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

Her "personal" battalion also boosts her Magical attack. It's like they set up all the pieces to make her a hybrid combatant... and then gave her a "Fortress Knight, but worse" personal class. Not sure what the thought process was here.

Maybe they didn’t want to make the obvious call back to Arvis from FE4 but they wanted to make the reference vague? My guess is that they wanted to do something cool with the Emperor class but all it really does is trivialize things because you just go Wyvern Lord and never look back. Honestly even if they did give her access to magic, WL is the superior option.

3 hours ago, Barren said:

Maybe they didn’t want to make the obvious call back to Arvis from FE4 but they wanted to make the reference vague? My guess is that they wanted to do something cool with the Emperor class but all it really does is trivialize things because you just go Wyvern Lord and never look back. Honestly even if they did give her access to magic, WL is the superior option.

Yeah, but that's just a general reflection of fliers in general (and Wyvern Lord in particular) being overpowered, relative to other classes, in 3H. Wyvern Lord is the "optimal class" for nearly half the cast.

As for Emperor, I do think a hybrid "Armored Axes-plus-Magic" class would at least be cool, if not optimal. But aesthetically, why not let us use Edelgard's Flame Emperor outfit? It's her most interesting armor design.

4 hours ago, Barren said:

I don't find the Emperor class trivializing anything. I find it coming to late to be of any use at all. Armoured Lord is around for quite a while, but Armoured Lord super sucks. Emperor has better bases, but you'd have to be ignoring basically all the paralogues to see any use of it because it comes so late. You should absolutely have been qualified for Wyvern Lord long ago by the time Emperor is available.

17 minutes ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

As for Emperor, I do think a hybrid "Armored Axes-plus-Magic" class would at least be cool, if not optimal.

Yeah, I've seen people argue against giving Emperor magic because "The Bolt Axe would be better anyway", but it's not a good argument. Because Emperor is an underwhelming class. Giving it magic would be a flat buff for it. Bolt Axe might still be better than her magic list, but magic will not actually make her worse. So if it's not making her worse in gameplay, you might as well make it cooler and more distinctive.

17 minutes ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

But aesthetically, why not let us use Edelgard's Flame Emperor outfit? It's her most interesting armor design.

I'm quite surprised Armoured Lord even exists. Like, not in the usual way of the intermediate lord exclusive classes all such and should have been replaced with their endgame ones because Byleth already has Enlightened One by this point, but like why did they even go to the trouble of making Armoured Lord when they already had her unmasked Flamer Emperor design as a class present in the game's code? Well at least the existence of Armoured Lord made a million Edelgard alts in Heroes require less effort when she won CYL an they'd already used the Flame Emperor.

Edited by Jotari