History with units

FailWood

Which units have you never had a good time using (having tried them in at least 3 separate playthroughs)?

Personally, Hana and Setsuna from Fates Birthright both come to mind.  The former because of how her frailty can be easily exploited by Fate's Hybrid RNG (she gets hit a lot for me), and the latter because of her bad accuracy for an Archer plus how poorly she compares to Takumi by the time he joins even if you do manage to train her.

Benched Setsuna and most of Fates children (because I hated them),kept Hannah as an reserve Swordsmaster.

I think I also benched most of the Nohr retainers, but I'm not sure.

Benched Cyril and the teachers because 3H deployment cap is ridiculously low. There's more, but I really don't remember much from my run with Awakening.

Edited by Armchair General

Yeah, you know what? What do people see in FE9 Soren? Dude can't take more hits than Mist so his enemy phase is garbo. And even with all my cherry picking of kills, his speed never kept up to consistently double common enemies on Hard mode. I remember having the same issues on normal years ago. He would need an adept proc to secure the kill. And when I'm using him to chip an enemy down, he gets the adept procs and steals the experience. What a dork. He only gets good as a backup staff bot once you promote him. Until then he's just an extra squishy archer. Trading the bow's decent MT for the ability to hit enemy res instead of def. Yippee. Also forging tomes is outrageously expensive. Not a fan of mages in this game.

Edited by Glennstavos

Probably Arthur. I like Arthur, but he just can't hit, and crits happen far too often for me to risk using him. Or maybe Kaden? I don't care for Kaden either way, but his poor defenses and weird Secondary Class make him a liability to me I'd rather not risk. Oh! Rinkah! I like Rinkah's character, but her awful HP and Strength growths make her incredibly annoying to use early on. Rinkah's Friendship Seal with Charlotte helps, but even that can only do so much. 

There aren't many units I have a bad time with. Most I don't use simply don't stack up as well compared to the ones I do use, I simply don't like their class type. (Knights in the GBA games. I don't mind them, but I don't actively use them that much.) or I don't like them as characters. I guess situation-wise, units may gain a bad history (such as pretty much all of the vassals during Xander's recruitment chapter in Fates: Revelation, or Nyx during her recruitment chapter in Fates: Revelation). 

EDIT: Adding Vanessa to the list. I still use her, but she just never turns out how I'd like her to...

Edited by Use the Falchion

Those GBA pegasus knights that were the first to show up, had low strength growth, and eventually fell out of favor because wyverns are closer to what I want out of a unit.

4 minutes ago, eclipse said:

Those GBA pegasus knights that were the first to show up, had low strength growth, and eventually fell out of favor because wyverns are closer to what I want out of a unit.

Vanessa. Vanessa hurts me almost every playthrough. I keep waiting for strength even skill at times, and all I get are speed and luck...and not even enough speed to hit the cap before Tana does. At least Tana gave me strength...(Florina has been good to me in my recent playthrough though.)

I like Lowen. Lowen doesn't like me back. The one time he got Strength for me... he actually got it pretty much every level, bizarrely, but never got Speed. He's usually still good enough to do a job towards the end, in a Pacifist run kind of way.

Edited by Parrhesia

24 minutes ago, Glennstavos said:

Yeah, you know what? What do people see in FE9 Soren?

Admittedly, I always used him out of personal bias, and the belief that I "needed" a mage. PoR isn't as bad as RD, but it remains a game where mages are at some of their weakest. You're right that any EXP he gets would be better off going to Ike, Titania, or Oscar in the earlygame.

That said, Soren has the best Mag/Skl/Spd of the unpromoted mages in PoR on average. Low Str means using Elthunder instead of a Thunder forge, he will lose out on the Spd lead, but again, best Mag for the best single hit. -Not you wouldn't be better using tomes to literally clean posteriors than to figuratively kick them.

33 minutes ago, eclipse said:

Aside from Farina, the GBA Fliers (In Blazing Sword and Sacred Stones anyway, I still haven't played Binding Blade) are never nice to me.  You hit the nail on the head with the early peg's strength issues (plus they get weighted down by nearly everything), then there's Heath and Cormag who live or die by their first 2 levels cause of their bases and join time.

...You know what? What in the name of Arceus do people see in Edward? Because I don't see it. The guy has trouble dodging against axe units - aka the classes he's tailor-made to wreck - and dies in two hits. In a game where the defeat conditions include ANYONE dying in the first few chapters. Then Zihark comes along, and with him, the end of Edward's fleeting usefulness. Even if he was to beat the odds and actually see extended use, he still struggles in part 3, because laguz are rather accurate, and he's squishy. Long story short, he plays like an extra squishy archer, except unlike an archer, he usually has to risk eating counters. Whoopee... 

And then there's Jill, who makes it a habit to screw me over. In two games. She either refuses to get good level ups, or her horrid start (and base stats) turns me off from using her. 

Edited by Shadow Mir

Ferdinand, Caspar, Bernadetta, Ingrid, Sylvain, Ashe, normally Annette too, Raphael, Ignatz and Lorenz hit the bench (in their respective routes) very quickly never to be seen again.

Setsunas ability to not deal damage while being an Archer is astonishing, but my overall worst unit has always been Rinkah. No matter what I do with her, she just doesnt cut it. A Tank who only just tanks and even that to dubious extent isn´t good enough.

I'm not sure if it's my massive Zihark bias or not, but +1 on Edward. Tried to give the dude a fair shake of a try in my first several RD playthroughs on several modes, and Wrath is only useful when the unit can survive more than one hit (either by reliable defense or dodging) to dish it back out, which he could never do.  Also a lot less luck with Lethe and Mordecai than I have had with Muarim.

I've not been terribly impressed with Oscar either; solid but mediocre. Same feelings with Bernadetta in FE16.

Also got Brave Ephraim in FEH somewhat recently and have been severely underwhelmed for a character that supposedly places in the top tier of gamepress' AR tier list.

13 hours ago, Imuabicus said:

Setsunas ability to not deal damage while being an Archer is astonishing, but my overall worst unit has always been Rinkah. No matter what I do with her, she just doesnt cut it. A Tank who only just tanks and even that to dubious extent isn´t good enough.

I'd add that Setsuna manages to suck in a game where archers are actually good for once. As for Rinkah, you might find this a good read:

https://superdawge.tumblr.com/post/169030331127/oni-savage-class-a-diatribe

Anyway, what in the name of Anankos do people see in Niles? Because what I see is good speed and resistance, with everything else sucking harder than Little Mac's recovery. As a result, I'd say he's as bad, if not even worse than Setsuna is, and capture does jack shit to help his already flimsy case. The only use he has is his daughter, who's ten billion percent better than he is.

And then there's Volug; everyone sees him as good, and I agree... if you're talking about part 1, that is, and even that doesn't last, as he starts struggling after 1-6-2. He has earth affinity, but even that can only help so much...

Edited by Shadow Mir

oh yeah the red christmas knight never gets strength for me. Kent, Cain, Forde, the rest of their stats end up good, its just they hit like a wet noodle. That really shouldn't bug me though since Cavaliers are so good at everything and at low investment.

In my Three Houses SS Maddening run, some of my units defied the odds. Like My Ferdinand who made it to level 21 and got Raised from 12 to 14 speed through the paladin certification (he spent no levels as a cavalier). He ended the run as a level 40 Great knight with about 20 speed and 25 strength. So much for his good growths. Petra also had abysmal Dex, forcing her to rely on Smash the entire game rather than risk two swings at enemies with only 50-60 accuracy on a training axe+. She ended the run with just 17 Dex. It didn't bug me much until I looked at her growths for the first time afterward and saw that her Dex wasn't something like 25%.

1 hour ago, Shadow Mir said:

As a result, I'd say he's as bad, if not even worse than Setsuna is

Strongly disagree with this.  Niles' high Res helps against the mages in Conquest Chapter 8 despite having weapon triangle disadvantage, and in Chapter 9 he can bonk the archers near the boss early with the help of Effie giving him strength and defense along with Elise's Personal skill and her healing.  He's also your only Locktouch until you get Kaze or reclass someone else into Outlaw (which why would you so early in Conquest?).

6 hours ago, FailWood said:

Strongly disagree with this.  Niles' high Res helps against the mages in Conquest Chapter 8 despite having weapon triangle disadvantage, and in Chapter 9 he can bonk the archers near the boss early with the help of Effie giving him strength and defense along with Elise's Personal skill and her healing.  He's also your only Locktouch until you get Kaze or reclass someone else into Outlaw (which why would you so early in Conquest?).

You have a point on the mage part, but not so much on the archers in chapter 9 - largely because I'd most likely be better off using Effie in the front with Niles in the back than the other way around (at least outside of Lunatic, where I need to dispose of the Shining Bow archer by some other means first). Aside from that, I'd most likely find myself better off marrying him off asap so I can kick him to the curb and use Nina instead, because his poor everything but speed and resistance and tendency to get bad level ups combined only make me want to tear my hair out in frustration.

Edited by Shadow Mir

9 hours ago, Shadow Mir said:

Aside from that, I'd most likely find myself better off marrying him off asap so I can kick him to the curb and use Nina instead

I can't say much on most Gen 2 Fates units since I don't have much experience with them (I've used them all at least once outside of the eternal Support Log grind).  I feel there's enough good units in Gen 1 for Gen 2 to not be necessary, plus I dislike Nina's character so I'd either not go for her or immediately bench her (her paralodge has a lot of goodies to snag).

4 hours ago, FailWood said:

I can't say much on most Gen 2 Fates units since I don't have much experience with them (I've used them all at least once outside of the eternal Support Log grind).  I feel there's enough good units in Gen 1 for Gen 2 to not be necessary, plus I dislike Nina's character so I'd either not go for her or immediately bench her (her paralodge has a lot of goodies to snag).

Maybe I'm just jaded, but the only Gen 1 units that aren't royals and manage to be worth using are what, Effie, Selena, Felicia/Jakob, and Flora in the context of Conquest (there may be more, but I can't be bothered to remember)?

Anyway, Odin is another unit that people are quick to sing the praises of, but what I see is someone who starts shit and stays that way without great investment and fortune (it doesn't really help that for the most part, Fates mages are a level of bad that only Radiant Dawn mages got close to); of course, he fell out of favour because Ophelia is much closer to what I want out of a mage - Odin's Master of None shtick doesn't hack it.

For some reason I always get the most cursed Asbel in Thracia. On my first Iron Man he died before I could recruit him. On another run he only got one point of magic by level 13 and ended up with only one point of str less than magic. Since I also really dislike how polarizing he is in this game I often try to avoid using him.

2004233914_LilManster1.07001.png.079628750152db44b0ad2e62cfeb02f7.png

1 hour ago, Shadow Mir said:

Maybe I'm just jaded, but the only Gen 1 units that aren't royals and manage to be worth using are what, Effie, Selena, Felicia/Jakob, and Flora in the context of Conquest

I'd say Silas, Keaton, and Gunter are also worth using.  I'd say pass on Felicia (if you're playing Female Corrin) and Selena.  Selena hits like a wet noodle for me.  All of this in the context of Conquest.

Edited by FailWood

4 hours ago, FailWood said:

I'd say Silas, Keaton, and Gunter are also worth using.  I'd say pass on Felicia (if you're playing Female Corrin) and Selena.  Selena hits like a wet noodle for me.  All of this in the context of Conquest.

I haven't really made an effort to use Keaton, but I'm not sure I'd agree on Silas or Gunter - the latter is a good pair up bot for Corrin at best, but that's about it. And I'm not convinced that's good enough to warrant kicking out a superior unit for.

Eliwood hates me, in all my playthroughs he rarely lvls str and spd, always having average of 8-13 on both stats and I always trained him (I always train all Lords) 

I don't hate him at all, he is good guy in my book but yeah... 

• 2 weeks later...

In Conquest, mid-game Felicia has historically turned bad for me. Not that I use her that often, but she always lacks power.
Also, by the time Leo joins, my trained mages already deal more damage (at a lower level) and are faster, defter.

• 2 weeks later...

All the ninjas in FE Fates do nothing but let me down... Kaze is fast but struggles to do damage, especially to anything that isn't squishy, Saizo is stronger, but slow for a ninja, which means he often struggles to double enemies, and Kagero sidesteps the other ninjas' issues, but isn't very accurate. I've routinely gotten underperformances from all of them to the point I've pretty much given up on trying to make ninjas work.

And then there's Subaki... which makes me want to ask, what the bloody fuck were the developers smoking when they came up with this guy!?! He's in a class that's generally known for being fast... but he's slow. While pegasus knights generally aren't the hardest hitters, he takes it to the nth level. So we have someone who hits like a wet noodle, and is slow as molasses, so he can't compensate for his lack of power by doubling. Oh, and he's literally rendered obsolete after his join chapter in Brithright.

Lorenz for sure. I've played through Golden Deer twice, and both times he's disappointed me. I always had a hard time killing with him since he could never double and his magic was never strong enough to OHKO. Even Raphael has the benefit of being able to get Quick Riposte so that he could double in the late game.

Annette really disappointed me as well, but only because I decided to be a dumbass and go for the gimmick Bolt Axe+Wyvern build for her for my first Blue Lions run. My experience was terrible and I last minute started to grind her Faith (which I didn't do before since I was training her in 3 other skills already) so I could try to salvage her as a Gremory.

Seems we're talking about Fates a lot, and I guess I gotta agree for Hana. I tried using her and it's just hard to work with her and her lack of defenses. I had a better time with Hinata surprisingly. I got nothing against their characters, though haha.

Selena and Beruka, as well. I don't like either of their characters, and tbh they're both pretty bad in their join chapter in Chapter 10 in any difficulty, so I didn't bother working with them. Beruka gets overshadowed by Camilla as a Wyvern and Percy is wayyy better imo.

On the real though, Fates has a big enough cast and a small enough deployment limit where I could just use whichever characters I liked and worked well enough for me, so I can't really say I've had bad experiences with any character I tried to use in Fates. That being said, there are several characters I haven't used LOL.

Edited by LJ_Tenma