wtf is this real

I looked up this game's caps and characters reach absurd stat levels, like 70-80s, sometimes even 90s. I wasn't surprised this game would reach at least 3rd tier caps (40, tops), but this is an absurd level of powercreep.

Stat caps are largely irrelevant in Three Houses since you'll pretty much never reach them. The only times they'll come up are if you're deliberately training someone against type and run up against one of the very low caps (eg, Lysithe's strength or Raphael's magic) or if you're deliberately grinding someone up to levels that are far beyond what's actually useful. Actual endgame stats are typically far lower than unit caps.

It also seems weird to call this power creep given that it's a totally different game which is differently balanced to previous games in the series. A point of strength in Three Houses is not the same as a point of strength in Shadow Dragon or Path of Radiance or any other game because mechanics are slightly different, enemies are different, etc. It's not as if you can take a character from Three Houses and send them over to Radiant Dawn and suddenly trivialise the fight against Ashera. It's its own game and is balanced only against itself, not against anything that came before.

6 hours ago, lenticular said:

Stat caps are largely irrelevant in Three Houses since you'll pretty much never reach them. The only times they'll come up are if you're deliberately training someone against type and run up against one of the very low caps (eg, Lysithe's strength or Raphael's magic) or if you're deliberately grinding someone up to levels that are far beyond what's actually useful. Actual endgame stats are typically far lower than unit caps.

It also seems weird to call this power creep given that it's a totally different game which is differently balanced to previous games in the series. A point of strength in Three Houses is not the same as a point of strength in Shadow Dragon or Path of Radiance or any other game because mechanics are slightly different, enemies are different, etc. It's not as if you can take a character from Three Houses and send them over to Radiant Dawn and suddenly trivialise the fight against Ashera. It's its own game and is balanced only against itself, not against anything that came before.

whaaaaaat

9 hours ago, lenticular said:

Yeah, I don't think I've ever reached any caps in my four playthroughs thus far. If you're not surpassing, say, level 50, you're not likely to hit them. And you're not likely to raise their levels that high, outside of a solo run. I've only seen a couple stats go over 50, too - Magic on Lysithea, and Charm on Teach (thanks, teatime).

Basically, caps are irrelevant for normal play. Also, in the future, please try to write a descriptive topic name. "Wtf is this real" could be about anything.

No it's fake. Stat caps are a myth. The chance of reaching them is as likely as jumping from an airplane, your parachute malfunctioning, and then falling on top of a Pregnant Panda in Siberia and the both of you coming out of the incident unscathed.

The thing is, stat caps are pretty much irrelevant in 3H because in general, you cannot feasibly reach them due to the game's structure. Outside of normal mode, you cannot level infinitely.

10 hours ago, the actual real soul said:

whaaaaaat

Yeah, every fifth or sixth point of strength negates a single point of an weapon's weight.

In 3H, it's really something that isn't worth paying attention to if a character naturally gets a second attack without this bonus. But I'm not sure if this is an recent invention, though.

And for the record, that isn't how power creep works in an RPG.

Edited by Armchair General

Adding onto what everyone else has said you can also hit stat caps by exploiting the greenhouse (and by exploiting I mean a lot of resetting if you don’t get the stat booster you want). Outcome is basically the same though, you probably won’t hit any of them unless you go way out of your way to achieve it. And while I’ve seen stat caps hit as early as Gronder Field on VW, that was with NG+. Without it it probably won’t happen until much later if at all.

Edited by Anathaco