Not using Charlotte as a ''backpack''

I was looking back at my recent run of Conquest, and I was doing something that bothers me personally, and it was that Xander was at level 16 paired up with a level 2 Charlotte on ch23. After looking at her growth rates I'm reconsidering how I should utilize her. I just bothers me that I'm wasting a deployment slot for an under leveled berserker that Xander doesn't necessarily need. So I just want to know if anyone has actually used Charlotte and had success with using her.

Charlotte is an amazing unit when trained. She comes in a little under-leveled, and want to pass her better axes on her join chapter to get her started, but once she catches up with the rest of your army she is a killing machine. Here an old pic from my logbook of what an endgame Charlotte looks like

AM-JKLW0TYNtagKVM7OAZJ0KuXqt5g2MbeUCDZTr

Edit: this really doesn't highlight one of her more notable traits, that she can reliably have above 50% crit chance if you try for it.

Edited by Eltosian Kadath

Charlotte has a rough start but has really good offence once she gets rolling. I even keep her with a bronze weapon most of the time so I don't even see her silly crit rate, but it's not like she needs it against anything that isn't a Wary Fighter General (and even then her reliable power against them with a Hammer is very high). She'll be able to one-hit kill ninjas and swordmasters (granted, latter needs the Dual Club to be reliable, which is contested) and double almost everything else.

I think Conquest did a good job of making sure the later-joining underlevelled characters (her and Benny, mainly) had actual payoff if used. It might not get them super high on tier lists but it's a big improvement over how that type of unit usually is.

For me, Charlotte’s main issue is availability. By the end of her joining Chapter, my ten units are already at Level 17-18, just about to class-change (at L19.)

I have babysat Fighters many times, for example, when pairing Azura and Arthur and class-changing both Azura and Shigure immediately upon (early) recruitment. Or pairing Azura and Keaton, and class-changing both Azura and Velouria immediately after Chapter 14 (through Support grinding.)
Yet, all three would be at a higher level than Charlotte, with better bases, better skill sets and comparable growths. And the children would have at least one map to train a couple of levels and catch up with the rest of the party.

I do not use Charlotte often because of her personality. She has the growths to pull it off and become a decent Delete button. You must watch her Skill and invest a couple of chapters to level her up.

Edited by starburst

On 6/28/2021 at 9:23 PM, Dark Holy Elf said:

I think Conquest did a good job of making sure the later-joining underlevelled characters (her and Benny, mainly) had actual payoff if used. It might not get them super high on tier lists but it's a big improvement over how that type of unit usually is.

I'm not sure I'd agree - I look at Charlotte and think "What the hell were they thinking?!" because an underleveled fighter in a game where I can't grind doesn't exactly scream "I'm a great investment" to me. I mean, I already find babysitting fighters to be a pain when they AREN'T underleveled, thanks to their poor defenses and accuracy, but when you make it such that they join when there are only a few chapters left before the game drops unpromoted enemies entirely AND they start underleveled, that is not an improvement. I'll grant, she can hit hard if trained, but I'm generally not going to be starved for hard hitters, and there are quite a few that are not nearly as risky as Charlotte is.

Edited by Shadow Mir

• 4 weeks later...