Powerful "Solo" character

I wanna to discuss what character is very strong in "Solo".

For me I have some character can be strong in "Solo" (Not sure) :

- Byleth

- Edelgard

- Dimitri

- Caspar

- Dedue

- Felix

- Raphael

- Leonie

- Catherine

- Jeritza

I think the Youtuber Mekkah did a Byleth Solo run on CF Maddening. And I saw someone else do a Byleth/Edelgard duo run.

Dimitri is busted and can solo without question.

The other characters are probably decent except the Brawler guys. They have low speed and res. And outside of NG+ they would need Quick Reposte which is an endgame skill.

...Aaaaaand the point of this thread is??? Also, I highly doubt that Caspar, Raphael or Dedue could solo due to poor speed and resistance.

11 minutes ago, LoneStar said:

I think the Youtuber Mekkah did a Byleth Solo run on CF Maddening. And I saw someone else do a Byleth/Edelgard duo run.

That reminds me, I saw someone else do a solo run in Silver Snow Maddening.

Edited by Shadow Mir

17 minutes ago, Shadow Mir said:

...Aaaaaand the point of this thread is???

He always does this, but at least it's coherent, this time.

17 minutes ago, Shadow Mir said:

Also, I highly doubt that Caspar, Raphael or Dedue could solo due to poor speed and resistance.

So what's wrong with Raphael? Mines is strong enough to one-round most of the stuff on Hard. Granted, he needs some healing after 5 turns or so, but that's normal for the rest of my army.

Edited by Armchair General

9 minutes ago, Shadow Mir said:

...Aaaaaand the point of this thread is??? Also, I highly doubt that Caspar, Raphael or Dedue could solo due to poor speed and resistance.

The prompt isn't very well-written, but I do think this is a topic worthy of discussion. What makes a unit good in solo runs, and how does it differ from being good as part of a team? Some "must-haves" that I can think of -

• Good physical bulk. Bulk is important on both sides, but physical enemies are more abundant than magical ones.
  • High Charm. If your solo unit gets hit by an enemy gambit, you're gonna have a bad time. High Charm makes this less likely.
  • Access to self-healing. The Professor holds a huge advantage, in direct access to the Convoy. Other units, however, can carry healing items, or get infinite self-healing through Renewal (Bishop mastery) or Healing Focus (B Gauntlets).
  • Good speed. If it's really good, you might go for a dodgetanking build, possibly in conjunction with Sword Avoid +20 and Alert Stance. But even mid-tier Speed is workable, so long as you're not getting doubled by enemy Axe and magic users.
  • High Availability. A Gilbert solo is impossible, for instance, because he's not joining until after White Clouds ends. Likewise, a Dedue solo is out of the question, given his post-skip absence. Incidentally, only the Professor has perfect availability - even your main lord disappears for Chapter 6. So any non-Professor "solo" attempt won't be ironclad.

So in the end, the Professor is the only unit you'll be able to do a "true" solo run with, on any route. That said, others can deliver near-solos. The Lords stand out - all do pretty well in Speed and Charm, and none have an especially difficult trip to Healing Focus. Seteth, too, could probably carry the rest of the game once you get him, but availability is an issue.

3 minutes ago, Armchair General said:

So what's wrong with Raphael? Mines is strong enough to one-round most of the stuff on Hard. Granted, he needs some healing after 5 turns or so, but that's normal for the rest of my army.

Raphael has very poor Speed, so he's liable to get doubled by most enemies. Even if he's taking no damage from physical enemies (and that's a stretch against enemy axe-users), he's still totally shredded by enemy mages. On top of that, his miserable Charm stat leaves him liable to getting gambitted. That said, he has a couple good points (high physical bulk, quick trip to Healing Focus), but not enough to make him a viable solo candidate.

6 minutes ago, Armchair General said:

He always does this, but at least it's coherent, this time.

There's no context this time. If we're talking about Maddening, I'd expect that list to get a LOT shorter (also, only Byleth can solo in the strictest definition of the word).

7 minutes ago, Armchair General said:

He's slower than a snail on depressants, for one. Two, poor charm means gambits are gonna give him a bad time. Three, mages eat him for breakfast. And lunch. And dinner.

3 hours ago, Armchair General said:

Yeah, but isn't it possible to kite mages (5 Mov across the board and I haven't seen a Black Knight in VW) and use  a few stat boosters to mitigate his Resistance?

That doesn't address his other problems. He's still very vulnerable to gambits, which means he is likely getting rattled, thus losing whatever boosts his battalion gives him, and getting his stats lowered on top of that, and he's still really slow to the point where he's likely getting doubled by most anything that's not a Fortress Knight.

I imagine anyone can reasonably solo on Normal (availability issues notwithstanding, a solo is generally understood to mean "solo all content available to that unit" e.g. nobody says "Seth can't solo Sacred Stones because you can't use him for 5x") outside some weirdness involving some of the mage units earlygame and spell limits (or just not having offence for chapter 1 at all in the case of Mercedes). On Maddening the list definitely gets shorter. I think @Shanty Pete's 1st Mate sums up the criteria that make units generally better at soloing.

In addition to the OP's list I imagine that Sylvain, Ingrid, Hilda, and Petra have very doable solos.

I watched my wife do a Edelgard/Hubert duo run of Maddening which included a Hubert solo of Chapter 6, which is impressive seeing as Chapter 6 puts immense pressure on solos due to its time limit and the need to defeat Jeritza (as it is absolutely not reasonable to rout the map). The fact that he could do it suggests good things for solos in general.

3 minutes ago, Dark Holy Elf said:

I imagine anyone can reasonably solo on Normal (availability issues notwithstanding, a solo is generally understood to mean "solo all content available to that unit" e.g. nobody says "Seth can't solo Sacred Stones because you can't use him for 5x")

I think this is an interesting consideration. Like, I'd agree that saying "you can't solo FE8 with Seth/Eirika because 5x" is being needlessly pedantic. But on the flip side, is a "Syrene solo" even a meaningful thing to say? Like, soloing the lategame with her would be impressive, but I don't think I could call a playthrough where that happens a "Syrene solo", due to the large period of time where she's not around to carry any weight.

8 minutes ago, Dark Holy Elf said:

In addition to the OP's list I imagine that Sylvain, Ingrid, Hilda, and Petra have very doable solos.

My lategame AM Maddening wasn't an Ingrid solo, but it came close. The combination of Alert Stance+, Defiant Avoid, and Defiant Crit made her a dodge-and-crit goddess of the enemy phase. Had I invested more in her earlygame, and granted her Sword Avoid +20, she may very well have been able to solo the Endgame. I could see this being a solid setup for other female solo candidates (Petra, Edelgard, Hilda, the Professor) as well.

12 minutes ago, Dark Holy Elf said:

I watched my wife do a Edelgard/Hubert duo run of Maddening which included a Hubert solo of Chapter 6, which is impressive seeing as Chapter 6 puts immense pressure on solos due to its time limit and the need to defeat Jeritza (as it is absolutely not reasonable to rout the map). The fact that he could do it suggests good things for solos in general.

The notion of taking on the Death Knight, solo, on Maddening, has me shuddering. No gambits to soften him up, yowza. Love the idea of a "duo" run, though. Could see some fun pairs here (Annette/Mercedes, anyone?).

4 hours ago, Armchair General said:

Yeah, but isn't it possible to kite mages (5 Mov across the board and I haven't seen a Black Knight in VW) and use  a few stat boosters to mitigate his Resistance?

Depends on Raph's class. Brawler/Brigand has 1 more move, but 1 less attack range (discounting Hand Axes and Bows). Grappler can outrange them, thanks to 6 move. But, what if there's more than 1?

As for Res, Pure Water might actually be his best bet. Even then, he's in trouble if dnemy mages are doubling him.

7 hours ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

I think this is an interesting consideration. Like, I'd agree that saying "you can't solo FE8 with Seth/Eirika because 5x" is being needlessly pedantic. But on the flip side, is a "Syrene solo" even a meaningful thing to say? Like, soloing the lategame with her would be impressive, but I don't think I could call a playthrough where that happens a "Syrene solo", due to the large period of time where she's not around to carry any weight.

When there are availability issues, there's also the consideration of how you're going to get through the chapters where they're absent. Like, if you are trying to do a house leader solo and you get to level 6, then it's all well and good to say that they don't need to solo that level, except that given that it's a solo run, everyone else would be level 1 so how on earth are you going to make it through that level? Or let's say that you're trying to do a Catherine solo run and you reach chapter 13. The good news is that you're allowed to use everyone else in that one chapter. The bad news is that they're all around level 3 or 4. Good luck with that. Even if you're using someone who is around for chapter 13, surviving the start of the level with Byleth and Dimitri/Claude both at level 1 does not sound like fun.

You could level someone else up specifically for those levels by deploying them as adjutant to your solo unit, but once you do that, is it really a solo run any more? I would say that it probably isn't, but I also can't think of any better way to get around the problem. Alternatively, just do the solo run with one of the Black Eagles, go Crimson Flower, and have perfect availability after the prologue. It still wouldn't be a complete 100% perfect solo like you can do with Byleth, but missing only the prologue is as close as you can get and doesn't come with any issues of having to deploy underleveld units (excepting forced deploys of Byleth and Edelgard alongside your soloist).

8 hours ago, Dark Holy Elf said:

What was the strategy for Chapter 11, where neither Hubert nor Edelgard are available?

Putting availability concerns aside for a moment, I've never actually done a solo run so this is all theorycraft, but I would assume that basically anyone is more than capable of soloing the late game. If you're soloing, you get all the xp, all the class and weapon xp, all the favouritisim in tutoring and the monastery, and -- importantly -- all the stat boosters. All of this lets you build a super soldier. You can shore up your weaknesses by certifying into classes which give bonuses or by using the greenhouse to grow food to raise your weakest stat, and end up being pretty much immortal. This is especially the case if you're playing with DLC enabled for all the extra stat boosters it gives, both the immediate free ones and the ones you can grab from the DLC auxiliary battles.

I'd assume that the bigger problem is getting to the late game in the first place. The early game oftend ends up being more of a problem for challenge runs -- and for regular runs too, honestly -- because you haven't had as much chance to customise and develop your units by that point. For instance, your options for healing are really limited in the early game. By late game you can have Healing Focus, Renewal, Lifetaker, Sacred Weapons, and so on. For early game, you're limited to either Vulneraries or Nosferatu, both of which kinda suck. (Or if you're using Raphael or Linhardt then you can also use the two worst personal abilities in the entire game.) Just getting through Chapter 1 on Maddening seems like a nightmare for a solo run. Maybe it wouldn't be too bad with Byleth or the house leaders, since they have great bases and will have had the chance to level up a little bit in the Prologue. For anyone else, though? Big oof. Dedue might be able to do it, since his personal makes him very tanky (though he'd still have problems against magic) but his mid-game availability issues make him non-viable as a soloist. Maybe Ferdinand could work? With his personal and the tried and true technique of "hiding in the bushes", maybe he could manage to get lucky enough to survive the entire map solo? I'm not at all convinced, mind. He'd probably be my top choice, though. And I definitely don't think he'd have a problem with the late game once you started the snowball. He doesn't really have any glaring weaknesses, and has potential to become extremely dodgy, so he'd be pretty much ideal by that point.

19 hours ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

9 hours ago, lenticular said:

When there are availability issues, there's also the consideration of how you're going to get through the chapters where they're absent. Like, if you are trying to do a house leader solo and you get to level 6, then it's all well and good to say that they don't need to solo that level, except that given that it's a solo run, everyone else would be level 1 so how on earth are you going to make it through that level? Or let's say that you're trying to do a Catherine solo run and you reach chapter 13. The good news is that you're allowed to use everyone else in that one chapter. The bad news is that they're all around level 3 or 4. Good luck with that. Even if you're using someone who is around for chapter 13, surviving the start of the level with Byleth and Dimitri/Claude both at level 1 does not sound like fun.

In other communities I've been part of (both Fire Emblem and Final Fantasy, for two series I've done these runs in), generally speaking if a solo character is not available for certain content, then any part of the challenge they're not available for is considered a "stall point" and the player can bend the rules as needed to get past it. I agree of course that a "Syrene solo" isn't really something especially worth considering because of its short length. But I have done a Colm solo, and I don't think anybody said "but what did you do about P/1/2/5x?" Obviously I used other characters to beat them. I don't even remember which ones for certain (probably Eirika and Ephraim solos to make them slightly higher levelled if it ever become necessary to have them take hits, though IIRC it never was). The only other option is to use hacking tools to make the character in question available for all content, but those aren't available to many players (including me in most cases).

For a house leader solo, you would get past Chapter 6 (and in Edelgard's case, Chapter 11) using other character(s). I personally would not use the treasures from Chapter 6 since the character in question could not acquire them, but that'd be up to the individual player and I don't think it would invalidate the solo if someone disagreed.

You're right that in rare cases it might actually be very hard for unlevelled characters to be suddenly thrust into the action. For a Catherine Solo (among a few others), yeah I think 13 would be a problem! I don't think Chapter 6 would be too bad, though; keep in mind that you can, at worst, recruit a Level 11 character or two prior to it, and even if you don't I suspect the map can be beaten by an army of Level 1 units, though it might be a fun challenge to try.

10 hours ago, lenticular said:

What was the strategy for Chapter 11, where neither Hubert nor Edelgard are available?

Level 1 Enlightened One Byleth actually has vaguely passable bases for that map, and a number of characters were recruited in Chapter 11 and were therefore Level 21 (granted, with bad skillsets/classes). The map was actually fairly easy given that 11 isn't too hard in general and that player deaths were acceptable given none of these characters was ever going to be used again.

10 hours ago, lenticular said:

Just getting through Chapter 1 on Maddening seems like a nightmare for a solo run. Maybe it wouldn't be too bad with Byleth or the house leaders, since they have great bases and will have had the chance to level up a little bit in the Prologue. For anyone else, though? Big oof.

Yeah I think this is true. My kneejerk is that it's possible since I know it is for Byleth and the lords, but you're right that their bases are quite a bit better (especially with a bit of an extra push), so it might indeed be really tricky for some of the others.

22 hours ago, Dark Holy Elf said:

I imagine anyone can reasonably solo on Normal (availability issues notwithstanding, a solo is generally understood to mean "solo all content available to that unit" e.g. nobody says "Seth can't solo Sacred Stones because you can't use him for 5x") outside some weirdness involving some of the mage units earlygame and spell limits (or just not having offence for chapter 1 at all in the case of Mercedes). On Maddening the list definitely gets shorter. I think @Shanty Pete's 1st Mate sums up the criteria that make units generally better at soloing.

Even so, I'd say something like, say, a Ross solo in Sacred Stones would be all but impossible, because he starts out laughably weak.

I don't see it because of chapter 13, especially for Sylvain or Ingrid, who require quite a bit of progress before they show up, so... what then? Good luck keeping an underleveled Dimitri and Byleth alive... heck, even for Petra or Hilda, who spawn early, you're likely to get overwhelmed.

Unfortunately, I'd argue that if you're not going Crimson Flower, chapter 13 would be even worse.

Edited by Shadow Mir

7 minutes ago, Shadow Mir said:

I don't see it because of chapter 13, especially for Sylvain or Ingrid, who require quite a bit of progress before they show up, so... what then? Good luck keeping an underleveled Dimitri and Byleth alive... heck, even for Petra or Hilda, who spawn early, you're likely to get overwhelmed.

Yeah, the eastside joiners in Chapter 13 certainly present their own challenges, that's a fair point. I don't think it'd be a problem for someone like Hilda or Petra though... they'll be stupid powerful by that point on a solo (alert stance+ wyvern lord is possible, for instance, along with all your stat boosters and best equipment), all they need to do is fly over and blockade the enemies from reaching Byleth and Seteth/Claude, who will be able to take a hit or two if absolutely needed anyway because they have bases from their promoted classes. The other early-joiners may die but that's acceptable.

1 hour ago, Shadow Mir said:

Even so, I'd say something like, say, a Ross solo in Sacred Stones would be all but impossible, because he starts out laughably weak.

I don't think of this as "all but impossible". Even on Hard Mode, enemy quality in Sacred Stones is fairly unimpressive. Ross joins with an accurate ranged weapon in the Hatchet, plus he can borrow his dad's Iron Axe for direct attacks. Also, if I recall, Vulneraries are readily available at this point in the game. The sword-wielding enemies in chapter 3 may be obnoxious, but if he can overcome them, it should be fairly smooth sailing. Feed him a bunch of zombies so he goes Pirate by chapter 5, funnel all the boosters into him, and promote into Berserker with the first Hero Crest. Pure Water when he has to go up against a bunch of magical enemies. The Rausten defense map may present a problem, but that would be the case on any solo run.

1 hour ago, Dark Holy Elf said:

Yeah, the eastside joiners in Chapter 13 certainly present their own challenges, that's a fair point. I don't think it'd be a problem for someone like Hilda or Petra though... they'll be stupid powerful by that point on a solo (alert stance+ wyvern lord is possible, for instance, along with all your stat boosters and best equipment), all they need to do is fly over and blockade the enemies from reaching Byleth and Seteth/Claude, who will be able to take a hit or two if absolutely needed anyway because they have bases from their promoted classes. The other early-joiners may die but that's acceptable.

Genuinely curious - can an unleveled Teach/Claude/Dimitri actually survive a round of combat with enemy Assassins on Maddening? A base Dimitri (level 1 High Lord), for instance, will have 33 HP and 14 Defense (15 Prt thanks to his battalion). An enemy Assassin would need to do 17 damage per hit (ergo, have 32 Attack). Which I'm pretty sure they surpass in chapter 13. Granted, Dimitri will get a few extra levels, but I don't know if they're enough to guarantee survival. Anyone have the numbers, or else know from experience?

1 hour ago, Dark Holy Elf said:

Uhhh... what difficulty do you have in mind?? Because this ain't happenin' on Maddening (thanks to Pass thieves and assassins).

7 minutes ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

Genuinely curious - can an unleveled Teach/Claude/Dimitri actually survive a round of combat with enemy Assassins on Maddening? A base Dimitri (level 1 High Lord), for instance, will have 33 HP and 14 Defense (15 Prt thanks to his battalion). An enemy Assassin would need to do 17 damage per hit (ergo, have 32 Attack). Which I'm pretty sure they surpass in chapter 13. Granted, Dimitri will get a few extra levels, but I don't know if they're enough to guarantee survival. Anyone have the numbers, or else know from experience?

In a word: Nope.

Edited by Shadow Mir

8 hours ago, Shadow Mir said:

In a word: Nope.

Jesus cripes. Even a Thief has 25 Strength, plus a 12-Might Silver Sword, for 37 Attack. Dimitri would need 4 HP and 4 Defense above base (for 37 HP and 19 Prt) to survive a single round against an enemy Thief. Against an Assassin, he's toast.

I love ya, Maddening, but come the fluff on.

12 hours ago, Dark Holy Elf said:

In other communities I've been part of (both Fire Emblem and Final Fantasy, for two series I've done these runs in), generally speaking if a solo character is not available for certain content, then any part of the challenge they're not available for is considered a "stall point" and the player can bend the rules as needed to get past it. I agree of course that a "Syrene solo" isn't really something especially worth considering because of its short length. But I have done a Colm solo, and I don't think anybody said "but what did you do about P/1/2/5x?" Obviously I used other characters to beat them. I don't even remember which ones for certain (probably Eirika and Ephraim solos to make them slightly higher levelled if it ever become necessary to have them take hits, though IIRC it never was). The only other option is to use hacking tools to make the character in question available for all content, but those aren't available to many players (including me in most cases).

This just makes me wonder what the single least impressive solo in all of Fire Emblem would be under these rules. Something like a Gotoh solo or a Lehran solo would be ridiculous, of course. Or maybe something like a Black Knight solo; he has almost as few levels and isn't even around for the final boss. A Gunter solo of Birthright would be equally daft. Or how about an Orson solo? Or, if I can push the envelope even further, a Frey solo of hard mode Shadow Dragon? (All of these are jokes, of course. We all know the least impressive solo run is the Seth solo.)

12 hours ago, Dark Holy Elf said:

Yeah I think this is true. My kneejerk is that it's possible since I know it is for Byleth and the lords, but you're right that their bases are quite a bit better (especially with a bit of an extra push), so it might indeed be really tricky for some of the others.

I went ahead and actually tried soloing Chapter 1 Maddening with a few different characters. I didn't have too long to play around with this, maybe about an hour or so. And while I'm a decent Fire Emblem player, I am not the absolute best so it is possible that I am missing something. But in my tests, I tried to get through it with Ferdinand and (separately) with Petra and had no success at all. They're just completely outclassed by the enemy units. It might be theoretically possible if you get the million-to-one perfect RNG run where the enemy just keep on missing all of their attacks, but beyond that, I just don't see how it would be possible. Then, for comparison, I tried doing it with Edelgard as well. I didn't actually succeed with her either, but it felt very different. With Edelgard, I felt that if I played around with things, practiced, figured out optimal strategies, and got a little bit lucky in places, then I'd actually have a shot. It felt like the sort of thing that I'd be able to do if I were willing to put the time into it. The Ferdinand and Petra solos both felt like I would never come close.

Maybe a better approach would be to do a Sylvain solo of Crimson Flower? You could recruit him in Chapter 2 (with female Byleth) which would avoid the difficulty of chapter 1, and then also avoid Reunion at Dawn by being in Crimson Flower. Though it could be argued that you arne't really doing as much of the game as possible with Sylvain since you could have chosen to lead the Blue Lions instead to get him earlier. Alternatively, maybe a Shamir solo? She's the earliest Church recruit if you're doing Crimson Flower and is decently strong as soon as she arrives, due to getting free Sniper certification. Chapter 6 might be a problem for her, though. I'm not sure whether she'd be able to take out the Death Knight solo at that point. You could probably save up a few stat boosters for her by then, mind, so maybe it wouldn't be as bad as I'm fearing.

14 hours ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

I don't think of this as "all but impossible". Even on Hard Mode, enemy quality in Sacred Stones is fairly unimpressive. Ross joins with an accurate ranged weapon in the Hatchet, plus he can borrow his dad's Iron Axe for direct attacks. Also, if I recall, Vulneraries are readily available at this point in the game. The sword-wielding enemies in chapter 3 may be obnoxious, but if he can overcome them, it should be fairly smooth sailing. Feed him a bunch of zombies so he goes Pirate by chapter 5, funnel all the boosters into him, and promote into Berserker with the first Hero Crest. Pure Water when he has to go up against a bunch of magical enemies. The Rausten defense map may present a problem, but that would be the case on any solo run.

Sacred Stones enemies may suck, but Ross's bases suck even more. 3 Speed is laughable, especially when some Brigands in his joining chapter can have 7 speed, and he gets 2HKOed by everything while he needs 4 hits or more to kill enemies (and if he is using an Iron Axe, he's most likely getting doubled).

A base Enlightened One Byleth could tank Chapter 13 enemies on AM at least. 

Enlightened One has a class base of 14 Defense. With Duscar Heavy Soldiers, Aegis Shield, Def +2 from acting as a Adjutant, that’s 32 protection right there. 

Add on another +2 from the thicket in the beginning, that’ll result in most enemies dealing less than 5 damage to them at pretty bad hit rates. So long as the Snipers can’t get near them, they’d be fine for the most part.

On other routes this really wouldn’t work since you’d lack the Duscar battalion, but you could instead go for the more intensive route of dodgetanking.

Enlightened One has a class base of 15 Spd. With Gautier Knight, Sword Prowess 5, Evasion Ring, and Alert Stance +, that’d would result in 95 Avoid, or 125 Avoid with the Thicket. That’s enough avoid to have 0 hit rate on the Snipers, so gambits would have to be the only thing they’d need to worry about.

So while it may not seem like it, a base Byleth is capable of surviving HBD, though they’ll need a substantial amount of setup beforehand to do it.

Edited by LoneRecon400

11 minutes ago, LoneRecon400 said:

Enlightened One has a class base of 14 Defense. With Duscar Heavy Soldiers, Aegis Shield, Def +2 from acting as a Adjutant, that’s 32 protection right there. 

I don't think I'd include Def +2. Adjutanting is a bit borderline between "is this or isn't this still a solo run?" but if you're allowing it then you could equally well just have either Byleth or Dimitri on permanent adjutant duty and have them leveled up to the point where this isn't as much of an issue. Grabbing the Aegis Shield might also be tricky for a solo Maddening run. Trying to keep Rodrigue and all the villagers alive with only one character doesn't sound like a fun time to me. That could be replaced with a Silver Shield though, without losing too too much def.

22 minutes ago, LoneRecon400 said:

Enlightened One has a class base of 15 Spd. With Gautier Knight, Sword Prowess 5, Evasion Ring, and Alert Stance +, that’d would result in 95 Avoid, or 125 Avoid with the Thicket. That’s enough avoid to have 0 hit rate on the Snipers, so gambits would have to be the only thing they’d need to worry about.

Reaching Sword Prowess 5 and Alert Stance+ and Authority B for the battalion all in time for Chapter 13 solely from faculty training and and seminars seems like a pipe dream. Again, you could probably get them with heavy use of adjutanting, but if you're allowing that then you can just level up instead. However, another possibility for dodge tanking would be to use White Magic Avoid +20, probably with the Heal spell equipped. You could get to the same level of avoid with 15 Spd, Gautier Knights, Faith Level 4, White Magic Avoid +20, Evasion Ring and Alert Stance. Which still sounds like a big ask, honestly, but not quite as big an ask.

1 hour ago, LoneRecon400 said:

A base Enlightened One Byleth could tank Chapter 13 enemies on AM at least. 

Add on another +2 from the thicket in the beginning, that’ll result in most enemies dealing less than 5 damage to them at pretty bad hit rates. So long as the Snipers can’t get near them, they’d be fine for the most part.

On other routes this really wouldn’t work since you’d lack the Duscar battalion, but you could instead go for the more intensive route of dodgetanking.

So while it may not seem like it, a base Byleth is capable of surviving HBD, though they’ll need a substantial amount of setup beforehand to do it.

How would you get the Aegis Shield on Maddening? Because I don't see keeping all the villagers as well as Rodrigue alive happening on a solo run. Also, isn't Byleth forced in most main story chapters (EDIT: and paralogues)? If I'm not wrong, this means that using them as an adjutant would be off the table unless you frequently conducted auxiliary battles, which give next to nothing exp wise. Either way, you're admitting that this would practically need NG+.

EDIT 2: I don't see getting an Evasion Ring at that point happening unless you can steal it from Dimitri or Claude. Other than that, the first chance you get to get one is in.... chapter 13. Which means it ain't helping you survive there. Also, what you're asking for requires A+ in both swords and flying AND a B in authority. I think this, too, is an unrealistic pipe dream.

Edited by Shadow Mir

2 hours ago, Shadow Mir said:

How would you get the Aegis Shield on Maddening?

Using Byleth as an adjutant would be off the table unless you frequently conducted auxiliary battles, which give next to nothing exp wise.

I don't see getting an Evasion Ring at that point happening unless you can steal it from Dimitri or Claude.

With the Shoes of the Wind and the March Ring, a Wyvern could gambit two thieves from attacking Rodrigue to prevent him from dying on turn 1 and reach the boss by turn two. 

Byleth doesn’t need any EXP to pull this off, only Skill Exp. A level 1 Byleth should be able to do this off of Enlightened One Bases. 

A unit needs 23/24 Speed to be able steal the Evasion Ring off of Claude and Dimitri. Thief provides a base of 13 Speed, so with 4 cooked Bullheads and Spd +2, any unit is only 4/5 Speed off. Lowering that by 1 from recruiting Ashe, it’s reasonable to get 3/4 Speed through levels. For reference, Byleth in Mekkah’s solo was level 21 by the time he did Grondor.

It’s not like Byleth needs the Evasion Ring to survive. They’re already getting 0% hit rates just from the other avoid boosters. It’s only really necessary if you can’t stand low % hit chance. The reason to get it is because solo's really benefit from dodgetank setups.

Edited by LoneRecon400

18 minutes ago, LoneRecon400 said:

Byleth doesn’t need any EXP to pull this off, only Skill Exp. A level 1 Byleth should be able to do this off of Enlightened One Bases. 

Even then, I think that what you're asking is way too much. Or do you seriously think that B Authority, A+ Swords and A+ Flying by chapter 13 is not unrealistic when only one of those can be trained by being an adjutant???

Edited by Shadow Mir

1 hour ago, Shadow Mir said:

Even then, I think that what you're asking is way too much. Or do you seriously think that B Authority, A+ Swords and A+ Flying by chapter 13 is not unrealistic when only one of those can be trained by being an adjutant???

Maybe in a regular run it would be a ask, but this is a solo. 1-2 activity point per week is really all that the solo unit requires, leaving the rest of the activity points to do whatever with. So it's very viable for Byleth to hit those ranks.

Edited by LoneRecon400