Byleth: The Fódlan Star (June's Legendary Hero)

Ghostface233

Interesting take. Third consecutive male legendary, which looking back happened with Roy/Alm/Eliwood as well.

I'm only missing one unit from each color, so I'll pass for now, but it'll be nice if he ever shows up alongside someone I don't have like Freyja or Otr.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hm... his value as a unit packed to take care of Hegemon is not to be denied, he looks good as can be (Times Pulse on a 1 cooldown special? we all know how that ends...), and his animation is awesome (also Professorial Tome is the best weapon in the game based soley on the fact that lost items appear)

But... I just don't think I need him that badly. We're only a few months away from CYL, and I need to start saving. Just hope I don't come to regret that decision...

3 hours ago, Othin said:

Interesting take. Third consecutive male legendary, which looking back happened with Roy/Alm/Eliwood as well.

Far less offensive then the 10 consecutive female mythics.

I'm impressed by how good of a job they did with his Enlightened One design.  It's not one I cared for originally since there's a lot going on with it, but they made it work.

Byleth has NFU based on his Speed stat, but his A and B skills do not help with that. Atk/Spd Ideal would be better on him, or Lull Spd/Res.

Kinda suprising IS didn't put Windsweep on his kit as well.

Anyway, Byleth looks a great Edelgard's counter, not to mention the Water Threats like Dimitri and Chrom. He is actually very good against all Water Legendaries. Maybe a well invested Ryoma can have more speed than him, but I am still not sure about that.

For the rest of the banner... It's decent, but I am still skipping this banner.

This coming LHB in a nutshell: Silvia sees food, Silvia eats food.

On the subject of Lyleth's apparent niche to counter Edgelord... I'm not sold on it. +50% Atk and ignoring DR is good, but it still has to oneshot, or else Edgelord will turn around and shove a Bonfire down his throat. Since Edgelord has a fair bit of bulk to chew through even without her DR, this becomes a thorny situation if the Edgelord in question has any kind of Res investment -- and if such Edgelords didn't exist before, they probably will before long.

3 minutes ago, Some Jerk said:

This coming LHB in a nutshell: Silvia sees food, Silvia eats food.

On the subject of Lyleth's apparent niche to counter Edgelord... I'm not sold on it. +50% Atk and ignoring DR is good, but it still has to oneshot, or else Edgelord will turn around and shove a Bonfire down his throat. Since Edgelord has a fair bit of bulk to chew through even without her DR, this becomes a thorny situation if the Edgelord in question has any kind of Res investment -- and if such Edgelords didn't exist before, they probably will before long.

Maybe that's why the Def buffs, to help him survive? If necessary, he could run Windsweep.

40 minutes ago, Some Jerk said:

He pretty much has a 1 CD Dragon Fang against beasts and dragons. He should get like... around 30+ damage from the special, so he may have a chance to kill her in one hit only.

If not, like @Othin said... Windsweep exists, which is a very good B skill on him.

Of couse, would be better if he also had the null Guard and Special Charge effect that Creator Sword has, so Edelgard would not be able to counterattack with special.

8 hours ago, Faellin said:

And I wouldn't be surprised if Kris got one at this point now. Since he's the last avatar without one.

*AHEM* FE7 Mark. Bramimond does not count as he is a completely different character. Unless we're counting Masked Marth as Marth now.

2 hours ago, Diovani Bressan said:

Byleth has NFU based on his Speed stat, but his A and B skills do not help with that. Atk/Spd Ideal would be better on him, or Lull Spd/Res.

Kinda suprising IS didn't put Windsweep on his kit as well.

He doesn't really need his Spd stat for his function. It's nice to have, but not really necessary. He has 41 base Atk (the first round of combat is against the Blue Mamkute in Story 2-9-1 Lunatic), likely with a superboon, resulting in 71 Atk with an Asset and base kit and with only one stack of Ideal plus 3 more effective Atk from his Lull. That's 91 effective Atk on the first hit with Sublime Heaven against human classes and 109 effective Atk against non-human classes.

With a +10+5 Byleth [+Atk], he has 98 effective Atk against human classes and 114 Atk against non-human classes. Pretty solid for one-hit killing things, especially considering Sublime Heaven ignores percentage damage reduction, so he doesn't have to worry about stat checks against Spurn, Dragon Wall, Blue Lion Rule, etc.

With a +6 Atk field bonus, he hits 108 effective Atk against human classes and 128 Atk against non-human classes.

For comparison,

• A fully optimized +10+15 Ophelia with Hardy Bearing and a +6 Atk field bonus has 157 effective Atk against an opponent with 20 Res and 112 effective Atk against an opponent with 50 Res.
  • A fully optimized +10+5 Legendary Lilina with a +6 Atk field bonus has 142 effective Atk against an opponent with 20 Res and 118 effective Atk against an opponent with 50 Res.
  • A fully optimized +10+10 Lysithea with a +6 Atk field bonus has 111/123 effective Atk against an opponent with 60 Atk and 117/135 effective Atk against an opponent with 80 Atk (human/non-human).

Byleth is basically green Lysithea with a bit less Atk in exchange for ignoring percentage damage reduction.

1 hour ago, Some Jerk said:

Edelgard only has 84 magic bulk at base. With a Res superboon, +10 merges, and +5 Dragonflowers, she hits 98 magic bulk.

After the in-combat debuff, +0+0 Byleth [+Atk] with his base kit has 100 effective Atk with Sublime Heaven and only one stack of Ideal. With a Sacred Seal granting him +6 Atk, he gets 109 effective Atk, which gives him an okay amount of leeway for Edelgard's Res investment.

The absolute worst case scenario would be Edelgard with Distant Def 4 and +6 Res from a Sacred Seal, as she'd have 112 magic bulk and disable's Byleth's field bonuses (which also prevents him from activating the second stack of Ideal). In the Arena, this can become 122 magic bulk with 2 blessing boosts if 1 of them is Res, and in Aether Raids, this can become 132 magic bulk with 2 blessing boosts if both of them are Res.

In Aether Raids, you're definitely better off running Windsweep.

In Arena, if people actually start running Distant Def 4 to counter Byleth, then run Windsweep. Otherwise, a simple +6 Atk field bonus brings Byleth up to 121 effective Atk, which should be enough to one-shot any Edelgard that can't nullify your Atk bonus. (And giving him enough Dragonflowers for an extra point of Atk brings him up to 123 effective Atk.)

And then there's the fact that they gave him effective physical bulk in both his A and B slots (and bothered to give him bulk in his weapon). If his Def is high enough, he might even be able to just tank the Bonfire, though I wouldn't count on it until we actually see his stats.

Edited by Ice Dragon

Drive NFU makes me really happy I bit the bullet and used my FMareeta manual on BIke for NFU/QR a few days ago.

Besides that (and the ongoing 3H over-saturation) I’m looking forward to him. If only I had the orbs...

Interesting... Byleth appears to be the first character to receive an Ideal skill and yet have no way to give himself any sort of bonus to gain the full +9 boost to stats.
Not like it's that notable this early in Ideals life, considering he's only the 4th unit to have an Ideal... well, at all.

Datamine is up.

Spoiler

28muuwwisb871.png

Superboons: Atk and Spd. Superbanes: everything else.

Mostly what we'd expect from a Gen 5 mage, though his Def is lower than we thought it'd be what with having Atk/Def Ideal in his base kit. He is very much a glass cannon.

e: The lost items that show up in his attack were also datamined.

Spoiler

ATRp6Ne.png

Edited by Some Jerk

18 hours ago, Faellin said:

I meant avatar that actually has a character design.

He does. Green robe, yellow trim, brown hair.

On 6/29/2021 at 5:23 AM, Fire Emblem Fan said:

They're doing to Three Houses the same thing they did to Fates.

True, but if anything I wish they'd done it sooner to clear out the backlog before CYL. It's too late for that now of course, unless people decide to meme-vote Ignatz in or something. They could save the other students from alt hell, I suppose... Honestly, as counterproductive as it sounds, if it keeps CYL6 from being another 3H fest, I'm happy with overdosing on 3H the rest of the year.

On topic, it's... not a coincidence that we're getting a hard F!Edelgard counter right after she released, is it? You could at least try to be subtle about these things, IS...

On the bright side, unless the F2P pool gets flooded with anti-beast/ anti-DR units, I know who I'm voting for in the next AHR event!

Edited by DefyingFates

Haven't been paying much attention to Heroes lately and didn't know a new legendary was out already but my opinion is that L!Byleth looks cool and has nice art. At least it is the male version and not the female one. Would like to try to summon him but he is in the legendary summoning pool so it is unlikely I will get him so it is a skip.

Nice to have a F!Edelgard counter but it would be nice if the next one they make is one that can be summoned in the normal summoning pool and not have one bound to the dreaded legendary/mythic banners or the limited time special heroes banners.

7 hours ago, NSSKG151 said:

Nice to have a F!Edelgard counter but it would be nice if the next one they make is one that can be summoned in the normal summoning pool and not have one bound to the dreaded legendary/mythic banners or the limited time special heroes banners.

Give them IS 6 months and they will tinker down inheritable weapons or a skill to counter Beast units. After that another 3 months and they will release a more stronger unit and they will start to tinker down skills that help beasts counter that first skill.

This has allways been this. They release a very strong unit/ meta defining skill and then "nerf" it over the course of 6 months with counterskills unitl its almost dead just to release a skill that might revive that class again.

See brave weapons
See Dragon adaptiv damage, or dragons in general with their bulk
See Dodge skills
See RazzleDazzle healer setups
See Fighter skills etc.

They want you to go to summon. Those first "strong" or "broken" units are made on purpose obviously.

3 hours ago, Hilda said:

Give them IS 6 months and they will tinker down inheritable weapons or a skill to counter Beast units. After that another 3 months and they will release a more stronger unit and they will start to tinker down skills that help beasts counter that first skill.

This has allways been this. They release a very strong unit/ meta defining skill and then "nerf" it over the course of 6 months with counterskills unitl its almost dead just to release a skill that might revive that class again.

See brave weapons
See Dragon adaptiv damage, or dragons in general with their bulk
See Dodge skills
See RazzleDazzle healer setups
See Fighter skills etc.

They want you to go to summon. Those first "strong" or "broken" units are made on purpose obviously.

I wonder what they're going to do about Save skills.