Name of this Drawing format

--ACE--

What's Up guys, So, I'm an artist! and I've been wanting to draw my OCs in a drawing format like this:           301570864_images(7).jpeg.109c33235c3c4106f2a7421bcb4d6b09.jpeg

And I wanted to look for inspiration by seeing similar ones, but I couldn't find... can someone tell me what this format is called? Or at least show me some examples?

Edited by Redpack007

I believe that these are either called reference, character, or model sheets (I'm not an artist, so I don't completely know, but it's one of those). It's typically to get an idea of how a character looks, and it's usually used as a reference point when animating a character. 

That, or this is just a collage of drawings of that character.

Here's an example of a couple of Trevor Belmont (from both the Netflix show and Curse of Darkness).

Spoiler

Pin on Concept Art

Trevor. C. Belmont produced by Ayami Kojima | Trevor belmont, Concept art  characters, Concept art

I hope I could help you out! Again, I'm not entirely sure, but I at least hope that I could lead you in the right direction.

1 hour ago, indigoasis said:

I believe that these are either called reference, character, or model sheets (I'm not an artist, so I don't completely know, but it's one of those). It's typically to get an idea of how a character looks, and it's usually used as a reference point when animating a character. 

That, or this is just a collage of drawings of that character.

Here's an example of a couple of Trevor Belmont (from both the Netflix show and Curse of Darkness).

Reveal hidden contents

Pin on Concept Art

Trevor. C. Belmont produced by Ayami Kojima | Trevor belmont, Concept art  characters, Concept art

I hope I could help you out! Again, I'm not entirely sure, but I at least hope that I could lead you in the right direction.

Thanks a lot! i was able to get some examples, Awesome 👍

professional comic artist here, indigoarsis is correct with it being roughly analogous to reference sheets.

Disney was likely the first western company to truly make a habit of creating reference sheets for every major character in their animated films, as there was often one "lead" animator with several in-between animators working in tandem; the lead animator would draw the key frames, and the others would fill in the pages of paper animation, since it was impossible and inhuman to expect one person to draw 300+ drawings a day to meet deadlines.  Google "[animated Disney movie like Aladdin] reference sheet" and you'll find examples.

Later, but still back in the day (roughly in the 90's) reference sheets found use in anime / game / comic series concept art as artists within companies had to collaborate, and make sure the faces of their characters didn't go "off model" - a term when facial (or bodily) features seem to distinctly move from where they're supposed to be.  This TVtropes article does a great job explaining it.

Art of Chira is somebody who's particularly known for them, and there's gobs more on their site if you want more (or more off of twitter).