Scottish users of Serenes Forest, what will you do if England actually win the Euros?

UNLEASH IT

Not really sure what I can "do" about it.

I'll probably never hear the end of it, but that's mostly because the English media is insufferable whenever they talk about football than the average English person you speak to. The average English person you speak to is well aware of where their football skills as a nation stands. It's their media whenever any sort of national game is on that touts how good they are and brings up 1966 every World Cup without fail despite being 55 years ago.

I don't root against England like others but I also roll my eyes at delusions of grandeur.

Edited by Tryhard

As if England / the English are only insufferable when they're winning.

I'm not Scottish, but even so I'll be consoling myself with the fact that at least this is an England side comprised almost entirely of saints, and Jordan Pickford. They're standing up to racism, Rashford literally fed starving children ffs. So I can be happy for them as individuals and the handful of English people I know.

It's still a pretty grey excuse for a silver lining.

10 hours ago, Tryhard said:

It's their media whenever any sort of national game is on that touts how good they are and brings up 1966 every World Cup without fail despite being 55 years ago.

At least we've actually won it, unlike Scotland, who can't get past the first round!

22 minutes ago, NinjaMonkey said:

At least we've actually won it, unlike Scotland, who can't get past the first round!

I know this is some sad attempt at a troll, but firstly, there are no expectations for Scotland and nobody I have ever met would consider their football skills good, or even average really. And I'm perfectly fine with that.

Secondly, I severely doubt you care about football to begin with so please stop pretending.

3 minutes ago, Tryhard said:

Secondly, I severely doubt you care about football to begin with so please stop pretending.

I'd like to hear your "reasoning" for that is, since there is no way can you determine whether I like football or not from that single sentence. By the way, I do like football, so that's a fail on your part.

6 minutes ago, Tryhard said:

I know this is some sad attempt at a troll

I'm being completly serious.

10 hours ago, Parrhesia said:

As if England / the English are only insufferable when they're winning.

instantly topical tbh it took literally 1 post

Edited by Integrity

18 minutes ago, NinjaMonkey said:

I'd like to hear your "reasoning" for that is, since there is no way can you determine whether I like football or not from that single sentence. By the way, I do like football, so that's a fail on your part.

There's been several topics on sportsball over the years and as far to my recollection you haven't contributed to any of them, didn't exactly paint me as an enthusiast by any means, which is where the doubt is from.

16 minutes ago, NinjaMonkey said:

I'm being completly serious.

If I happened to be from Germany or Argentina, what I said would have more validity because my nation has won more World Cups than England, then?

You understand how this makes no sense, right?

38 minutes ago, Tryhard said:

There's been several topics on sportsball over the years and as far to my recollection you haven't contributed to any of them, didn't exactly paint me as an enthusiast by any means, which is where the doubt is from.

I don't usually go in to the General section of the forum, so that's one reason. Furthermore, just because I don't contribute doesn't mean that I don't follow it. Also, the league team I support is in one of the lower leagues, while everyone here is fixated on the Premier League teams. Finally, fourth post.

Edited by NinjaMonkey

Not Scottish, but I would offer my condolences to the part of England that doesn't give a shit about football because they'll be forced to hear IT'S COOOOMING HOME on loop for the next couple months.

4 hours ago, ping said:

Not Scottish, but I would offer my condolences to the part of England that doesn't give a shit about football because they'll be forced to hear IT'S COOOOMING HOME on loop for the next couple months.

Only if England win.

4 hours ago, ping said:

I am English and a casual fan (as in, I'll watch the game and I'd kinda like England to win but won't much care if they don't) and I am so fed up of that accursed song. After putting up with it for 25 sodding years, something inside me has just snapped this year and I want it gone. I never want to hear it again. (I am going to hear it again. This week. Multiple times.) And while we're at it, if we could also get rid of the jingoism and the entitlement and all the other crap that goes along with the Engand football team then that would be great too.

the funny thing is the actual song ~it's coming home~ is from is about hosting the thing and being consistently shit

I'm not Scottish (I'm Canadian), but I am very fascinated by Scottish culture & history, and I'm the only person in my family that doesn't care about football (which we in Canada refer to as soccer solely because we sit right next to the US), so I sympathize.

I can say that I did watch some of the England vs Germany match (someone else in my family put it on, and I just happened to be in the room) and, while I normally don't care much about football, I was hoping Germany would win.

On 7/7/2021 at 11:06 PM, Tryhard said:

Not really sure what I can "do" about it.

Something along the lines of leaving the country for about 6 months until they cool down.

Oh, and while we're on the subject, does Scotland have their own media networks or are they forced to watch BBC and ITV?

Edited by UNLEASH IT

4 hours ago, UNLEASH IT said:

Oh, and while we're on the subject, does Scotland have their own media networks or are they forced to watch BBC and ITV?

We have to watch BBC and ITV if we want to see any kind of live footage, yeah. Which is pretty much exclusively English commentators. They have the broadcasting rights for the UK.

Edited by Tryhard

Don't take a read on British life from the amount of antagonism you see online. As others have said, the media focus and hype is far more than anything than you'd ever encounter in person. 'The English media' is generally the British media (with the exception of regional papers, since there's very few - if any - regional television stations). The perception of the media being 'English' stems from its heavy London bias - something that's as much an annoyance to English people in Leeds and Plymouth as it is to non-English people in Glasow, Cardiff and Belfast. The BBC do have more large regional offices now, with regular major programming coming from Glasgow Quay and Salford among other places, but the London-culture is hard to shift. There's also limited demand for it to shift to too regional a model when the population of London alone is larger than that of Scotland and Wales combined.

r/ScottishFootball had lots of anti-English content through the Euros, but it doesn't represent how the vast majority of Scottish people interacted with anyone English in their presence during the same period; that's the same phenomenon of apparent 'insufferability' in reverse. The main difference is that English people wouldn't have seen The National's depicion of Mancini as Braveheart before it went viral because it doesn't circulate in front of them. That being said, neither would have many Scottish people... it's not really a widely circulating rag.

Ultimately, being an English person living in Scotland or a Scottish person living in England isn't going to factor into conversation much. If England had won the tournament, it's highly unlikely that any English person living in Scotland would have made a meal about it for a year because people tend not to act in a way that gets them kicked out of their social circles.

There's a decent amount of Scottish people who celebrated a 0-0 draw with England and will always root against England's opponents. I don't really do the same. Sadly, if we had played the same way for our draw in the other two matches we may have even made it to the knockout stages.

Most English people that I've encountered just want their team to do well even if they know they aren't exactly a top tier team. My annoyance is just having no choice but to listen to English commentators talk up their own team and unknowingly put high expectations on them they always failed to meet for years. You're just hurting your own team and making English fans seem arrogant.

Italy deserved to win, though. Defending a 1-0 lead for over 60 minutes is never really a good idea when you allow the opposition to pressure you. Some people do point out Southgate's failings during the match but it is certainly better than the myriad of managers England have had in recent years - Hodgson, Capello, McClaren, Eriksson back to Keegan. But he also had an easier path against the poorest Germany side I've seen in a long time, Ukraine, and a Denmark side that had a very dubious decision going against them.

As with all hooligans, the ones that follow England can fuck off, though. This is in reference to the abuse that Sako, Rashford and Sancho appear to be getting from some, as if no white English player has ever missed a penalty.

Edited by Tryhard

Yeah I was really disappointed with Scotland against the Czechs especially - I feel the same in that if they had played with the same intensity against them as they had against the English then they could have taken the game. The loss of Gilmour against the Croats was a big one, I wanted to see him neutralise Modric and level out the quality between the sides. It's also a shame because I really rated Clarke while he was a club manager, but I feel like some of his tactical choices were odd and perhaps the games could have gone differently if he had more directly tackled some of the opposition threats. However, being the only team to expose how average England's side was (tactically, especially) is something Scotland should hold their head up high over, even if outright celebrating it seems a bit overboard.

Italy 100% deserved it, they won the tough side of the draw and were the better finalists. A weaker side without Spinazzola, but still the most interesting Italy team I've seen in a while. England's celebrating over beating Germany was definitely the worst over-hyping in the tournament. Knowing how long German fans have wanted Low out of his job, they're no-where near the side of 2014. Denmark had been playing really well, but they looked too tired to see out the tournament - if they'd have had to play a 3rd place game I think Spain would have destroyed them.

I understand where you're coming from on the commentry/punditry side of things. Football's obsession with celebrity coverage makes it one of the weakest-presented sports, in my opinion. I'm not saying that ex-professionals don't have a place in sports coverage, but football ones are particularly biased. I really like badminton coverage, which has English and Dane representation for the English-language commentary in major matches - and although they're both former players, the sport is so low-profile that they have to provide insightful coverage to earn their position. Rugby League can similarly have good coverage when the staff aren't presenters drafted in from other sports for finals to help 'recognisability'. Formula 1 is a mixed bag; most of the analysts are somewhat impartial, but the lead commentator especially has British bias - even though they're technically fronting global English-language coverage. Tennis is the other sport I know with commentary I don't like, and it's similarly the mix of feeling the need to lean in to nationality coverage (like Raducanu this Wimbledon) and ex-players being in the box to boost recognition. People can find impartial commentators quite dry, but yeah - it's pretty exclusionary when you don't share a bias. It's true at club-level football too, co-commentators especially are just full of past-club-bias that makes watching as a neutral pretty insufferable.

And I absolutely agree that abuse of sportspeople is deplorable, as was the laser-pointer incident. Not a problem exclusively for any one group of fans in any one sport, these people should be exposed as individuals and not allowed to hide behind a group identity. Heard one guy had his uni place revoked for abuse directed at Rashford - that seems the kind of responsibility people need to take for their garbage behaviour.