Newbie here, and I need some help/tips

Hello everyone! I just started the game a few days ago, and I'm loving it so far. I'm at chapter 10 on Ephraims route and wanted to know if it is worth killing the boss "Beran" there, he has 3 bows if I remember correctly so is it worth it to kill him, since he has a ton of health and I can't take him down easily. Also I would love some general tips on the game, since I haven't played any of the older games, ( I have only played Shadows of Valentia ). As you have may guess I picked this game to play since it was said to be one of the easiest games in the franchise. Another reason I wanted to try it is because there is no casual/no perma death mode, so I wanted to challenge myself to see if I can beat it with the least of deaths possible, since I haven't played with perma death ever. Sorry for rambling about, Im excited since I'm enjoying the series a lot.

Edit: thanks for the help! I apriciete it a lot, I just finished the chapter where you get Ewan, so I guess I'm of to grinding him up a bit, since he is kind of useless as of now. I have another question though, are promotion items finite, and are they missable? I'm coming of Fe echoes where I just need to go to a statue so I'm not quite used to the item promotion system yet. Also if the items are hidden on enemies/villages, is there a list/map where they are shown so I don't miss anymore than I already may have missed.

Edited by Boji
I got a new question and a thank you for the help

It's not needed to defeat him. I'd consider getting Cormag more urgent (Tana can talk to him, but you might want to train her so she can survive the wyvern riders flanking him). Also of note, he has a lancereaver (which reverses the weapon triangle and doubles its effects; ergo, it's strong against swords, but weak against axes). Also, pay attention to weapon weight and your units' constitution stats; using heavier weapons causes your unit to lose speed.

You don't have to kill Beran, but do keep Duessel's green guys alive.

General tips:

- Mostly everything can be easily calculated.  Do this before sending someone into the fray.
- Resetting because someone died is a tried and true FE strategy.
- Use Duessel, at least until the end of Ephraim's route.  Ephraim's route is the harder of the two routes by a good margin.
- Everyone is usable, but some require more time than others.  Whether or not you want to grind someone up is your decision.  I'm lazy so I didn't bother.
- The Torch staff isn't used that much, but it's a lifesaver when you do need it.  You will need it shortly.
- The other staff that's either worthless or irreplaceable is Restore.  Make sure to have at least two for a certain chapter (you'll know which one).
- Barrier/Pure Water ups Res, which seems useless until you run into status staves.  Which use Res as part of their hit calculation.
- Pay attention to the weapon triangle, it will save you.

^Speaking of, while we're talking about that chapter, you might want to have a flier to rescue Duessel's green guys because the village they retreat to when they take enough damage has a promotion item. Also of note, it might be in your best interest to keep them all alive, because if you do, you get a Knight Crest (another promotion item).

Also, make sure to check enemy inventory regularly, as enemies can have weapons with effects (e.g. chapter 6 has a fighter with a Halberd, which is effective against cavalry units, like Seth and Franz). Or they may have items that they do not drop when defeated, and thus must be stolen.

On 7/11/2021 at 9:31 AM, eclipse said:

You don't have to kill Beran, but do keep Duessel's green guys alive.

General tips:

- Mostly everything can be easily calculated.  Do this before sending someone into the fray.
- Resetting because someone died is a tried and true FE strategy.
- Use Duessel, at least until the end of Ephraim's route.  Ephraim's route is the harder of the two routes by a good margin.
- Everyone is usable, but some require more time than others.  Whether or not you want to grind someone up is your decision.  I'm lazy so I didn't bother.
- The Torch staff isn't used that much, but it's a lifesaver when you do need it.  You will need it shortly.
- The other staff that's either worthless or irreplaceable is Restore.  Make sure to have at least two for a certain chapter (you'll know which one).
- Barrier/Pure Water ups Res, which seems useless until you run into status staves.  Which use Res as part of their hit calculation.
- Pay attention to the weapon triangle, it will save you.

On 7/11/2021 at 10:54 AM, Shadow Mir said:

^Speaking of, while we're talking about that chapter, you might want to have a flier to rescue Duessel's green guys because the village they retreat to when they take enough damage has a promotion item. Also of note, it might be in your best interest to keep them all alive, because if you do, you get a Knight Crest (another promotion item).

Also, make sure to check enemy inventory regularly, as enemies can have weapons with effects (e.g. chapter 6 has a fighter with a Halberd, which is effective against cavalry units, like Seth and Franz). Or they may have items that they do not drop when defeated, and thus must be stolen.

Thank you both! I apriciete your help a ton.

On 7/10/2021 at 8:08 PM, Boji said:

I have another question though, are promotion items finite, and are they missable? I'm coming of Fe echoes where I just need to go to a statue so I'm not quite used to the item promotion system yet. Also if the items are hidden on enemies/villages, is there a list/map where they are shown so I don't miss anymore than I already may have missed.

You will find a lot of this info on the sacred stones section of the main site. You can miss out on promotion items, but later on you'll be able to buy an infinite amount of them provided you have the money and the member card. Make sure to get it in chapter 14.

I don't have a lot of advice, but I would suggest you avoid grinding if you don't want to remove the challenge completely unless you want to train some of the underleveled units that join you. I wouldn't worry about it too much though. The game is fairly forgiving even if you do accept deaths. If you don't though it's probably impossible to softlock the game unintentionally.

Edited by samthedigital

On 7/10/2021 at 7:08 PM, Boji said:

Edit: thanks for the help! I apriciete it a lot, I just finished the chapter where you get Ewan, so I guess I'm of to grinding him up a bit, since he is kind of useless as of now. I have another question though, are promotion items finite, and are they missable? I'm coming of Fe echoes where I just need to go to a statue so I'm not quite used to the item promotion system yet. Also if the items are hidden on enemies/villages, is there a list/map where they are shown so I don't miss anymore than I already may have missed.

Like stated, you can find those on the Sacred Stones section of the main site. Anyway, different classes need different items to class change (also known as promotion):

• Fighters, myrmidons, and mercenaries need a Hero Crest
  • Cavaliers and knights need a Knight Crest
  • Archers need (or rather, Neimi, the game's sole archer needs) an Orion's Bolt (also of note, there's only one chance to get this without needing a secret shop; in chapter 6)
  • Flying units need an Elysian Whip
  • Magic users need a Guiding Ring
  • Thieves and pirates need an Ocean Seal (you get the sole one in chapter 9 on either route)

The trainee units (namely, Ross, Amelia, and Ewan) are exempt from this for their first promotion (which puts them into a base class and is automatically initiatedd when starting a battle when they have reached level 10). You can also get an item known as a Master Seal, which works for all of the above classes. The Renais twins need to use their bracelets to change classes (this doesn't come until after clearing chapter 16). Also of note, when changing classes, you get a choice between two classes. More details can be found here:

https://serenesforest.net/the-sacred-stones/classes/introduction/

Also, you'll want to beware of gorgons late in the game; if you have studied Greek mythology, you might infer that they have the ability to petrify. In this game, they can use Stone, a magic that, if it hits, turns the unlucky character to stone for several turns. This is a VERY BAD THING; not only does this prevent them from moving, enemies attacking them will have a 100% chance to hit, and dramatically increased crit chance.Thus, you WILL want Restore staves to fix this asap. Aside from that, they can also use Shadowshot, a powerful spell which has long range (3-10, like Bolting). All of these are considered dark magic, so anyone with light magic will make these less likely to hit. You will also see Draco Zombies late in the game; unlike in Shadows of Valentia (which called them Necrodragons), they use a breath attack that negates defense, and thus can do major damage. However, they are weak against bows and anti-dragon weapons, as well as the Sacred Twin weapons* (which I would recommend saving for the end of the game, as most of the enemies then are monsters).

*With the exception of Gleipnir

Edited by Shadow Mir

Thanks you again! Right now I am on chapter 14 and and the druids with berserk just destroyed me like nothing and like 4-5 characters died because they used berserk on my strongest units, so now I have to go grind L' arachel to get her staff level to C (since hers is still D), on that note is there a good way to grind for staff level? It probably isn't a common thing to do, but it is required this time if I want my units not to murder eachother. Natasha does have C in staffs, but she doesn't have as much movement, I think I might take her to the tower to get her to level up aswell since she's only level 3. My guess is that I'm going to buy heal staffs and take my tankiest units and make Natasha and L'arachel heal them to grind xp, since as far as I know they can't get xp any other way.The reason why I want to grind them is so they can use the restore staff.

Also a quick question, are the secret shops accessible from the map like shop and armories? 

Edited by Boji
Forgot to mention why I wanted to level up my healers.

1 hour ago, Boji said:

Thanks you again! Right now I am on chapter 14 and and the druids with berserk just destroyed me like nothing and like 4-5 characters died because they used berserk on my strongest units, so now I have to go grind L' arachel to get her staff level to C (since hers is still D), on that note is there a good way to grind for staff level? It probably isn't a common thing to do, but it is required this time if I want my units not to murder eachother. Natasha does have C in staffs, but she doesn't have as much movement, I think I might take her to the tower to get her to level up aswell since she's only level 3. My guess is that I'm going to buy heal staffs and take my tankiest units and make Natasha and L'arachel heal them to grind xp, since as far as I know they can't get xp any other way.The reason why I want to grind them is so they can use the restore staff.

Also a quick question, are the secret shops accessible from the map like shop and armories? 

Oof. Remember what eclipse said about Pure Water and the Barrier staff raising resistance? Because this will help with that (staves like Berserk use resistance as part of the hit calculation; I will also note that the effects of these are temporary). Anyway, about the only thing you can do is either hope to get some units hurt or hope that a skirmish has fog of war, which lets you use the Torch staff. Also, how's your money? Because floor 3 of the tower has money in case you're low. And Secret Shops have expensive gods. By the way, secret shops need the member card to access (which Rennac, who you saw in that same chapter, has on him; you'll want to have L'arachel talk to him; note that he starts on the east and runs to the west, so she needs to start on the west party to catch up to him), and they are accessible from the world map...after you beat the game. Lastly, who are you using?

Edited by Shadow Mir

17 minutes ago, Shadow Mir said:

Oof. Remember what eclipse said about Pure Water and the Barrier staff raising resistance? Because this will help with that (staves like Berserk use resistance as part of the hit calculation; I will also note that the effects of these are temporary). Anyway, about the only thing you can do is either hope to get some units hurt or hope that a skirmish has fog of war, which lets you use the Torch staff. Also, how's your money? Because floor 3 of the tower has money in case you're low. And Secret Shops have expensive gods. By the way, secret shops need the member card to access (which Rennac, who you saw in that same chapter, has on him; you'll want to have L'arachel talk to him; note that he starts on the east and runs to the west, so she needs to start on the west party to catch up to him), and they are accessible from the world map...after you beat the game. Lastly, who are you using?

Well I'm mostly using Seth, Tana (which I promoted to wyvern knight), Ross (which is a Pirate), and duessell. These are my must haves, I often use lute, Joshua and Ewan (shaman). I recently started using L' arachel and Dozla. Sadly my Amelia died, on the chapter with the woman that has bolting. And Im not sure which other cavalier I should use or if I even have to (since Seth is there). My money is around 19K. My Colm got his lockpick stolen every early on. So he was useless and never used him since then. Checked Rennac out and I guess he'll be replacing Colm since I only used him to open chests.

6 minutes ago, Boji said:

Well I'm mostly using Seth, Tana (which I promoted to wyvern knight), Ross (which is a Pirate), and duessell. These are my must haves, I often use lute, Joshua and Ewan (shaman). I recently started using L' arachel and Dozla. Sadly my Amelia died, on the chapter with the woman that has bolting. And Im not sure which other cavalier I should use or if I even have to (since Seth is there). My money is around 19K. My Colm got his lockpick stolen every early on. So he was useless and never used him since then. Checked Rennac out and I guess he'll be replacing Colm since I only used him to open chests.

Okay. So what killed Amelia? Was it Selena and her Bolting? Or was it something else entirely? Also, what promotion items do you have at this point?

On 7/15/2021 at 10:59 PM, Shadow Mir said:

Okay. So what killed Amelia? Was it Selena and her Bolting? Or was it something else entirely? Also, what promotion items do you have at this point?

Ooof, god I'm sorry for not responding in while, I progressed a lot since then, but yeah it was her stupid bolting, I'm on the final chapter but I underestimated Lyon a lot, he can one shot everyone who tries to attack him, and even if they live they do like 10 damage, Is it a scripted battle or something like that? There are 2 chests on the map that I ignored so the key to defeating him could be hiding in them.

As to why I respond so late ( for which I'm sorry) Is that my pc had given up and was in for repairs.

19 minutes ago, Boji said:

Ooof, god I'm sorry for not responding in while, I progressed a lot since then, but yeah it was her stupid bolting, I'm on the final chapter but I underestimated Lyon a lot, he can one shot everyone who tries to attack him, and even if they live they do like 10 damage, Is it a scripted battle or something like that? There are 2 chests on the map that I ignored so the key to defeating him could be hiding in them.

As to why I respond so late ( for which I'm sorry) Is that my pc had given up and was in for repairs.

Pure Water and Barrier staves can help, as they boost resistance. Also, equip Sacred Twins (you did not break them, did you? Because you'll need them for the last boss) and move next to him without attacking. That's what I do when a boss 2HKOs my units. Also, the final boss will waste his first turn summoning monsters. I'm also curious if you have a save from earlier, in case you still can't do it.

Edited by Shadow Mir

14 minutes ago, Shadow Mir said:

Pure Water and Barrier staves can help, as they boost resistance. Also, equip Sacred Twins (you did not break them, did you? Because you'll need them for the last boss) and move next to him without attacking. That's what I do when a boss 2HKOs my units. Also, the final boss will waste his first turn summoning monsters. I'm also curious if you have a save from earlier, in case you still can't do it.

I have every sacred twin saved up, 

Oops I accidentally clicked submit too early, thanks though, I forgot about the barrier staff and the pure water, sadly I don't have an earlier save so I gotta find a way to do it, or I'm screwed except if I cheat, which I really don't want to do, but my idiocy may make me do it in the end.

Edited by Boji

4 minutes ago, Boji said:

I have every sacred twin saved up, 

1 minute ago, Boji said:

Oops I accidentally clicked submit too early, thanks though, I forgot about the barrier staff and the pure water, sadly I don't have an earlier save so I gotta find a way to do it, or I'm screwed except if I cheat, which I really don't want to do, but my idiocy may make me do it in the end.

What stat boosters do you have saved up?

1 minute ago, Shadow Mir said:

What stat boosters do you have saved up?

1 energy ring, 2 secret books, 1 speedwing, and 2 talismans, although I'm not sure on who to use them on.

3 minutes ago, Boji said:

1 energy ring, 2 secret books, 1 speedwing, and 2 talismans, although I'm not sure on who to use them on.

You might be able to get Myrrh (the dragon girl) to a point where she can help with Lyon and Fomortiis (the final boss I mentioned earlier; she's effective against monsters too, so I wouldn't fret if you haven't used her; just beware the Draco Zombies, as again, they ignore defense. It might behoove you to give her the Hoplon Guard and Fili Shield, too [the former negates crit chances, the latter negates her bow weakness]).

4 minutes ago, Shadow Mir said:

You might be able to get Myrrh (the dragon girl) to a point where she can help with Lyon and Fomortiis (the final boss I mentioned earlier; she's effective against monsters too, so I wouldn't fret if you haven't used her; just beware the Draco Zombies, as again, they ignore defense. It might behoove you to give her the Hoplon Guard and Fili Shield, too [the former negates crit chances, the latter negates her bow weakness]).

I did give her the angelic robe that you get early on, so I guess those talismans are going with her too. 

1 minute ago, Boji said:

I did give her the angelic robe that you get early on, so I guess those talismans are going with her too. 

Also, how many uses does she have on her dragonstone?

28 minutes ago, Shadow Mir said:

Well she has like 49 or so, but just something absurd happend, Myrh was able to crit Lyon and kill him, so that was cool, but then when fomortis came around she just straight up one shot him. I was left speechless xD.

30 minutes ago, Shadow Mir said:

I also want to thank y'all so much, for helping me getting trough the game!

6 minutes ago, Boji said:

Well she has like 49 or so, but just something absurd happend, Myrh was able to crit Lyon and kill him, so that was cool, but then when fomortis came around she just straight up one shot him. I was left speechless xD.

5 minutes ago, Boji said:

I also want to thank y'all so much, for helping me getting trough the game!

Congrats mate. I was glad to help.