Characters you think missed the train earlier in the series?

Perkilator

The title says it all; basically a thread for characters who you feel like had a decent shot back then but ended up missing the ride in earlier games and now you’re afraid that it might be too late for them to join the roster now.

Here's mine:

• 64: Meowth
  • Melee: Scizor, Ayumi Tachibana
  • Sm4sh: Snivy, Azura
  • Base Ultimate: Crash Bandicoot, Shadow (Echo), Alph (Echo)
  • Fighters Pass: Sora, Edelgard, Spring Man he was an Assist Trophy anyways
Edited by Perkilator

well we know for a fact that Sakurai wanted to add Marth since Smash 64, but didn't add him because he was completely unknown in the West, and Leif was considered to be a fighter in Melee, but was later scrapped to add Roy as a Marth clone

aside from these particular cases, if Melee wasn't rushed, i agree that they might've considered adding Scizor or maybe even Feraligatr

Ultimate (base game): Decidueye: it was a choice of gen 7 starter, we never saw a grass type all on their own before, and Decidueye's archery, ghost powers and wings lend themselves well to Smash Bros. Instead, we got the Heel Tiger.

Ultimate (DLC): Edelgard: We now know that Sakurai had basically no say in the DLC roster, but I still maintain that Edelgard would've made just as much sense, if not more sense, from the corporate mindset as well; Edelgard was the mascot of Three Houses: the theme song was about her, she appeared in the trailers more than anyone else (including Byleth); she's the face of Three Houses, not Byleth. Not to mention, a running motif for the marketing for the character roster was heroes vs villains, so why not a character that's both? Can I say that without a spoiler tag?

I would've also listed Micaiah, but she honestly never had a fair chance: Brawl released less than a year after Radiant Dawn did, so she had no chance of appearing then, and she had no chance of appearing in 4 because, by the time 4 released, they wanted to capitalize on Awakening's popularity through Robin.

• 64: Meowth
  • Melee: Leif
  • Brawl: Lyn/Ephraim, (A Gen 3 Pokémon)
  • Smash 4: Serperior/Sceptile, Impa (Warriors)
  • Ultimate: Decidueye, Elma, Jibanyan, Alm/Celica
  • Fighters Pass: (Sword & Shield rep), Euden, Gooigi (Echo)
Edited by Morgan--Grandmaster

3 hours ago, vanguard333 said:

Ultimate (DLC): Edelgard: We now know that Sakurai had basically no say in the DLC roster, but I still maintain that Edelgard would've made just as much sense, if not more sense, from the corporate mindset as well; Edelgard was the mascot of Three Houses: the theme song was about her, she appeared in the trailers more than anyone else (including Byleth); she's the face of Three Houses, not Byleth. Not to mention, a running motif for the marketing for the character roster was heroes vs villains, so why not a character that's both?

Most of the franchises in Smash have always had main characters first, and Byleth is the main character in Three Houses, not Edelgard.

I mean, I would've said Banjo-Kazooie. They haven't been relevant since the N64 era, so no way they're coming to the series now! And of course, I would have been wrong, because characters are often added with a shocking disregard for commercial interests. So I'm not gonna make any guesses, lest I unwittingly wish, say, Geno into the world of Smash.

• Blaziken or Sceptile during Brawl
  • Zoroark during Smash 4
  • Eevee at really any point
  • Azura during Smash 4 DLC or Ultimate, especially if Corrin wasn't added
  • Yu Narukami during Smash 4
  • Zero (Megaman) during Ultimate if he wasn't an Assist Trophy
  • Warrior of Light or Black Mage as early as Brawl I believe

18 hours ago, NinjaMonkey said:

Most of the franchises in Smash have always had main characters first, and Byleth is the main character in Three Houses, not Edelgard.

Sure; I'm just saying that Three Houses is one of those cases where, if whoever at Nintendo wrote the list thought about it, it really could've gone either way (i.e. they could've gone with the game's protagonist or the game's mascot, as Byleth is the former while Edelgard is the latter).

In any case, other than that, she also has similar reasons as those for why some are listing Azura.

On 7/15/2021 at 9:44 PM, vanguard333 said:

Ultimate (DLC): Edelgard: We now know that Sakurai had basically no say in the DLC roster, but I still maintain that Edelgard would've made just as much sense, if not more sense, from the corporate mindset as well; Edelgard was the mascot of Three Houses: the theme song was about her, she appeared in the trailers more than anyone else (including Byleth); she's the face of Three Houses, not Byleth. Not to mention, a running motif for the marketing for the character roster was heroes vs villains, so why not a character that's both? Can I say that without a spoiler tag?

Yeah I think all in all Edelgard would have been the logical choice if things were based on their artistic merit. I suspect Byleth is the coward's choice who's presence is mostly there so no fans of the houses that didn't get picked have reasons to complain about another house getting preferential treatment. The end result is a compromise candidate who likely pleases the fewest amount of people. I suspect many Claude and Dimitri fans would rather have Edelgard than the boring self insert, just as Edelgard fans might likely have preferred Dimitri over the boring mute. Its hard for me to imagine that any fan of Three Houses would deliberately root for the boring self insert over the most prominent and interesting characters of the game just to ensure the houses they didn't pick wouldn't get anything over the ones that they did. 

No one got offended by Byleth but as per usual the safest option is also the most boring one by far. I'd have preferred if Nintendo had shown more guts and taken the risk of offending some players if the end result was better for the Smash roster. With Arms the interesting character got taken over the boring ''main'' character and the end result was a far more interesting addition to the roster. 

2 hours ago, Etrurian emperor said:

Yeah I think all in all Edelgard would have been the logical choice if things were based on their artistic merit. I suspect Byleth is the coward's choice who's presence is mostly there so no fans of the houses that didn't get picked have reasons to complain about another house getting preferential treatment. The end result is a compromise candidate who likely pleases the fewest amount of people. I suspect many Claude and Dimitri fans would rather have Edelgard than the boring self insert, just as Edelgard fans might likely have preferred Dimitri over the boring mute. Its hard for me to imagine that any fan of Three Houses would deliberately root for the boring self insert over the most prominent and interesting characters of the game just to ensure the houses they didn't pick wouldn't get anything over the ones that they did. 

No one got offended by Byleth but as per usual the safest option is also the most boring one by far. I'd have preferred if Nintendo had shown more guts and taken the risk of offending some players if the end result was better for the Smash roster. With Arms the interesting character got taken over the boring ''main'' character and the end result was a far more interesting addition to the roster. 

Oh; I fully agree that Edelgard would've been the logical choice in terms of artistic merit, and I think you're probably right about Dimitri & Claude fans; with Edelgard, they could've gone, "Well, at least it's not another FE swordsman protagonist added to Smash Bros." or something like that.

In terms of avoiding offending someone, ideally, I think it could've been cool to see some kind of Three Houses Trainer: Edelgard, Dimitri and Claude rotate with Byleth standing in the background and in front of a chalkboard. That could've pleased everyone and technically followed Nintendo's demand that Byleth be the one in the roster, but I suspect that that would have been far too much work, and I doubt Nintendo would've been happy with them essentially making three DLC fighters for the price of one.

Yeah; Byleth was definitely the most boring choice they could've gone with.

All this said, now that I think about it; I don't necessarily think Edelgard has lost her chance to be in Smash Bros; it just won't be for a while. Here me out: since you can't really go beyond "Ultimate", and Sakurai has said that every additional fighter multiplies the work rather than adding to it, there is a fair bit of speculation that the next Smash Bros. will probably be some kind of reboot. If true, and if it releases before (or even shortly after) the next new FE game, I could see them potentially swapping out Byleth with Edelgard without anyone really missing Byleth. It's unlikely and it hinges on a number of things, but it could happen.

I'm gonna refrain from saying anything about Ultimate until we know who the final DLC character is. But, if that character isn't Crash Bandicoot, then Crash Bandicoot is absolutely the one I fear may have missed the train in Ultimate. Which sucks more than I can put into words. Anyway.

64: Meowth
Melee: Dixie Kong
Brawl: Lyn
Wii U/3DS: Azura

• 4 weeks later...

Considering Brawl and Smash 4 added characters like R.O.B., Wii Fit Trainer, and freaking Duck Hunt, I'm not eager to say any character missed the train. K. Rool hadn't been relevant for over ten years. Banjo-Kazooie hadn't been relevant for twenty. If those guys can get in, I'm pretty sure anyone you guys list in this topic can, too.

Edited by Lord_Brand

Yeah, Byleth is known for being one of the more underwhelming additions to the roster, partly because of the perceived over-abundance of Fire Emblem fighters in Smash, partly because of the perception that Byleth has as much personality as a plank of wood. This video sums it up pretty well:

(Any way to make the video embed smaller?)

Edited by Lord_Brand

• 2 weeks later...

I think I do have few ideas for it. But, I hadn't had a thought in Original nor Melee.

1. Original: Marth (I would personally think Marth would have been added in based on what Sakurai had said) 
  2. Melee: Ayumi
  3. Brawl: Missing Veterans from Melee
  4. For Nintendo 3DS / Wii U: Mike Jones, Chrom, Takamaru, 2nd Namco Franchise Rep, 2nd Square Enix Franchise Rep, and Missing Veterans from Melee and Brawl
  5. Ultimate: Mike Jones, Alm, and 2nd SNK Franchise Rep (depending on who's the final fighter in Challenger Pack 11)
Edited by King Marth 64

On 8/15/2021 at 7:27 PM, Lord_Brand said:

Yeah, Byleth is known for being one of the more underwhelming additions to the roster, partly because of the perceived over-abundance of Fire Emblem fighters in Smash, partly because of the perception that Byleth has as much personality as a plank of wood. This video sums it up pretty well:

(Any way to make the video embed smaller?)

Ah, I remember that episode of SpongeBob that that video was referencing. That was a good episode.

Yeah; Byleth is definitely an addition that hit rather placidly overall, with a huge proportion of the fanbase saying that someone else should've been picked. Even a lot of people who liked the idea of a Three Houses character in Ultimate were saying it should've been a different character than Byleth.

@King Marth 64 I got a notification that you quoted me in this topic, but I'm not seeing the quote. Just wondering if you deleted it in an edit or something like that.

• 3 months later...
4 hours ago, Fire Emblem Fan said:

I wish Toys For Bob, Vicarious Visions, and Beenox would all break off and form their own company, and take Crash, Spyro, and Tony Hawk with them.

The three dev studios are subsidiaries of Activision itself, which means they don't have the ability to break off and keep their studio names unless Activision gives them its blessing. The current members can quit and form their own studio, like what the staff of Playtonic did, but even then they'd be unlikely to get the rights to IPs as successful as Crash and Spyro and instead be forced to create their own spiritual successors. And even if such a miracle scenario did occur, there's the matter of funding the games. I guarantee you three subsidiary developers don't have nearly the financial backing power that a megacorp with some of the most successful third party IPs to its name has, so they'd have to reach out to a publisher or finance the games through Kickstarter or a similar service.

Edited by Lord_Brand