How can I balance growrates of classes?

Hasechi

I plann to edit fire emblem awakening abit.But I don't know how to balance the exact % growrates should be. Example:

- Horse units can move more tiles but less total growrates than infantry units ...etc.... stuff like that. Any idea?

Awakening is really weird. I know that the enemies have way too much HP, and you need to rely on crit fishing or dual strikes to kill stuff.

I'm not sure, the player units feel fine regardless of movement class. It's the flying/mobile fortress enemies that are kind of nuts, but you have effective weapons for them.

Taguels need a buff. From experience Panne and Nowi fall off by the time you get to Valm because of the advanced units, and you don't get plus stones till pretty late. They definitely need plus stones sooner.

On 7/17/2021 at 9:23 PM, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

If the goal is class balance, maybe buff Archers? They're at one of their weakest points in Awakening. Higher stats wouldn't totally fix them, but it may make them more bearable.

what stat? str + def?

20 hours ago, LoneStar said:

I'm not sure, the player units feel fine regardless of movement class. It's the flying/mobile fortress enemies that are kind of nuts, but you have effective weapons for them.

Taguels need a buff. From experience Panne and Nowi fall off by the time you get to Valm because of the advanced units, and you don't get plus stones till pretty late. They definitely need plus stones sooner.

How about Geranal, should i increase that class movement by 1?

I don't know how to get plus stone sooner. But I can hack to get money to upgrade the normal stone to full stack. Tell me your idea to buff taguels and manakete. And yah manakete still better than taguel because manakete can counter attack at any range

2 hours ago, Hasechi said:

How about Geranal, should i increase that class movement by 1?

I don't know how to get plus stone sooner. But I can hack to get money to upgrade the normal stone to full stack. Tell me your idea to buff taguels and manakete. And yah manakete still better than taguel because manakete can counter attack at any range

I think the General is fine. Movement isn't really an issue in Awakening because of pair-up.

I'm not sure how to buff them without making Panne/Nowi even stronger early on. Their issue is the lack of an upgraded class like they have in Fates.

Like I said I think HP is something that needs to be nerfed on enemies since late game since they're really fat. I guess the game really wants you to depend on those Brave Weapons. That's another thing with Awakening the weapon balance.

About the Archer. Maybe it needs more speed? The class should probably be a ranged Myrmidon. If Virion could double more often that would be nice.

Edited by LoneStar

Honestly I think class growth rates do not amount to much unless they're really, really high. A +10% growth on a stat will mean, on average, +1 stat every 10 levels. Or since a unit spends 20 levels in a class (well actual 19 level ups, but let's simplify it to 20), a difference of 2 points by max level. If you want class growth rates to matter they need to be at least in the range of +30%

1 hour ago, Jotari said:

Honestly I think class growth rates do not amount to much unless they're really, really high. A +10% growth on a stat will mean, on average, +1 stat every 10 levels. Or since a unit spends 20 levels in a class (well actual 19 level ups, but let's simplify it to 20), a difference of 2 points by max level. If you want class growth rates to matter they need to be at least in the range of +30%

In theory, growths can matter more in Awakening, due to infinite leveling. In practice, they actually matter less, due to infinite leveling.

Anyway, if we want Archers to be good, we should give them a "Bowrange +1" skill.

On 7/21/2021 at 9:57 AM, Hasechi said:

to versus javelin, handaxe enemies?

It's a bit of a niche case. If you're already getting counter-attacked anyway, the archer loses its key benefit, so there's no reason to use them over a 1-range unit, who might even have the benefit of weapon triangle advantage.