Battle Before Dawn Is really depressing on Hector Hard Mode

Darnocius

Between Maxim and Ursula and Jaffar and Zephiel’s survival being out of your control, what’s a guy to do to clear this map with all the treasures and the gaiden unlocked? Just when you think things are going your way, you get ambushed from the darkness of Fog of War or the RNG decides... you know what? This Mercenary should have enough speed and strength to double and kill Zephiel! 

Yes it's hard.  If you're on emulator, you can use save states and RNG manipulation to make life easier.  If you're playing off a cart, good luck.  You may have to sacrifice some of the treasure, but the game is doable without them.

While I do think BBD is a pretty tough map, I would still say its reputation is a bit exaggerated. The worst part of the map is keeping Jaffar alive because that's actually just pure RNG. There's nothing you can do if he runs into the area where the reinforcements spawn, or if he get hit by a bunch of low% hits, or if he ends enemy phase just above healing threshold and he doesn't use his elixir. Even if you rush the left side he can still die. But when it comes to actually clearing the map, regardless of whether Jaffar survives or not, I honestly don't think it's that terrible. Ursula is on the right side and no reinforcements will come to help her, so if you send someone like Harken with a pure water you can easily kill her and stop the reinforcements from spawning pretty early into the map. Zephiel can survive the first few enemy or two that reach him, although it does get dicey after that. Personally what I've been doing in BBD to secure Zephiel is rush the right side with most of my army, have my highest mobility units reach the Rescue staff asap, send it to the convoy and have Pent rescue Zephiel out of the room where he starts. After saving Zephiel and killing Ursula the rest of the map is fairly easy. I do try to save Jaffar but I don't send more than 2-3 units left, and If the RNG decides that he has to die, then that's that 😛 

In addition to what @GonzoMD1993 said, if you have trouble reaching to Zephiel before he dies you can try utilizing your staffbots (especially Pent) by sending them above the Throne room with status staves and try to put them to sleep or berserk which gives you more time to reach the throne before things get hairy. This is what I tend to do if I lack good combat units and need to gain me a few more turns.

On 7/19/2021 at 3:15 AM, Darnocius said:

Between Maxim and Ursula and Jaffar and Zephiel’s survival being out of your control

On 7/19/2021 at 7:06 AM, GonzoMD1993 said:

The worst part of the map is keeping Jaffar alive because that's actually just pure RNG. There's nothing you can do if he runs into the area where the reinforcements spawn, or if he get hit by a bunch of low% hits, or if he ends enemy phase just above healing threshold and he doesn't use his elixir. Even if you rush the left side he can still die.

it depends. while it's true that RNG can always go wrong, some people have noticed that if you send all your units to the right side of the map, Jaffar may actually move to intercept and attack the enemy units going for Zephiel's room. needless to say that horseback units always help in getting to Zephiel faster.

i honestly have no idea why that happens, but i've done plenty of runs before, and by using that method i managed most of the times to trigger that behaviour from Jaffar. not sure if it might be related to the overall position of your units on the map, or if there's eventually something connected to the lords you deploy.

might as well be just RNG, although it seems pretty weird to me since i've seen that same behaviour multiple times in my runs.

On 7/19/2021 at 6:50 AM, eclipse said:

You may have to sacrifice some of the treasure, but the game is doable without them.

that's also true.

you might not be able to get everything in HHM, so sometimes you'll have to choose between getting items, or getting units, or if it's actually worth getting anything at all in order to complete a chapter.

you can always sacrifice treasures to get units and eventually gaiden chapters, but you can't do the other way around. unless you just want to complete the game for the sake of it, of course.

Edited by 𝙵ᴇɴʀᴇɪʀ

I send two groups down either side. The right side has a thief with a torch and higher move units to kill Ursula. The left side needs someone to deal with Maxime. I used a 20/10 Guy just yesterday. The enemy thieves will steal from the left chests, but I block them in the room and kill them for the loot when things settle down. 

Unfortunately, Jaffar or Zephiel will just die ~30% of the time even if you play perfectly. Just grit your teeth and reset.

Fortunately, I've never seen Nino die randomly and she's the only unit in the entire series that actually matters kappa.

Edited by eriyg