Bad news that Nintendo of Japan is going to shut down Credit Card Purchases in the Wii U and Nintendo 3DS eShop in 2022 for Japanese Region (this looks like it would might happen in outside of Japan)

King Marth 64

I did saw GameXplain mentions some bad news for some players who purchases stuff from an official Nintendo of Japan Twitter account that has been announced that both ending Credit Card Purchases and Payment Methods for the Wii U and Nintendo 3DS eShop around in 2022 in Japan. If you're still using Credit Card purchases that not using those Prepaid Cards that you might want to purchase the necessary stuff like games and DLCs. I am still planning on buying the rest of the DLC content in my Wii U console along with getting the other Nintendo 3DS downloadable only titles and other DSiWare games in my Nintendo 3DS system.

Edited by King Marth 64
Sorry, I forgot to mentioned about Credit Card Purchases, not shutting down.

Pft, and just today I was discussing with someone about hoping the shop would still be around for quite some time.

Anyway... hopefully if true it is just for Japan, but... I don't think I'd be able to buy anything from here to 2022, in my current state. Things might change, but well, for now I'm not too confident on the matter.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

Hi, resident jackass that's always complaining about retro game offerings going extinct. Yes I do expect this same announcement for NA in the next few days. But no I don't think it's as big of a deal as what Sony attempted to do a few months ago. The reason is because you can add funds to your nintendo account through Nintendo's website, or through your Switch. I just did it a few minutes ago to double check: If your Wii U and 3DS have your up to date Nintendo account, then there's nothing to worry about. You can still add funds and buy stuff until the eshop gets pulled entirely offline.

So when does the eshop get pulled entirely? Well the Wii took an additional year to get to that point. The reason why there was more permanence with the Wii at this stage is because the Wii eshop didn't run on money. It converted your money to "Wii points", and they didn't allow you to add Wii points outside of the Wii's stupid interface. Thus all you could do in that final year was make any final purchases with leftover points.

I guess it's time I start organizing my lists of game pickups now. 

Edited by Glennstavos

9 hours ago, Glennstavos said:

Hi, resident jackass that's always complaining about retro game offerings going extinct. Yes I do expect this same announcement for NA in the next few days. But no I don't think it's as big of a deal as what Sony attempted to do a few months ago. The reason is because you can add funds to your nintendo account through Nintendo's website, or through your Switch. I just did it a few minutes ago to double check: If your Wii U and 3DS have your up to date Nintendo account, then there's nothing to worry about. You can still add funds and buy stuff until the eshop gets pulled entirely offline.

So when does the eshop get pulled entirely? Well the Wii took an additional year to get to that point. The reason why there was more permanence with the Wii at this stage is because the Wii eshop didn't run on money. It converted your money to "Wii points", and they didn't allow you to add Wii points outside of the Wii's stupid interface. Thus all you could do in that final year was make any final purchases with leftover points.

I guess it's time I start organizing my lists of game pickups now. 

This is good to know, thank you!  I haven't gotten around to purchasing all of the stuff from these platforms I wanted yet since I've come back into gaming more recently, so it's nice to not feel as much of a rush.