List of characters that were never playable before Heroes

GrandeRampel

Pretty self explanatory. Let's count how many character were never made available to us in any form, even for a limited time before getting in Heroes. For the purpose of this list getting a card in Cipher doesn't count as being playable.

Archanea: Nobody (Gharnef, Legion, Camus and Emperor Hardin were playbale in Awakening. Eremiya and Clarisse were playable in a New Mistery DLC) TOTAL: 0

Valentia: Berkut - Rinea - Rudolf - Duma - Mila (Fernand was playable in an Echoes DLC) TOTAL: 5

Genealogy: Annand - Díthorba - Ullr (Julius, Arvis, Ishtar and Travant were playable in Awakening) TOTAL: 3

Thracia: Veld - Reinhardt - Kempf TOTAL: 3

Binding Blade: Idunn (Merlinus was playable, but in a weird way. Everyone else was playable in the trial maps) TOTAL: 1

Blazing Blade: Leila - Young Zephiel (he counts, just like old man Eliwood counts as a different character) - Sonia - Bramimond (Lloyd, Linus and Ursula were playable in Awakening) TOTAL: 4

Sacred Stones: Fomortiis? I mean Fallen Lyon is completely Fomortiis. Let's say it counts (everyone else is playable in the creature campaign) TOTAL: 1

Tellius: Greil - Zelgius - Altina - Ashera - Yune - Jorge - Dheginsea (Petrine and Ashnard were playbale in trial maps. Black Knight was playable for a few chapters and also in Awakening. Sephiran was playable in Awakening and also unlockable as SPOILERS) TOTAL: 7

Awakening: Naga - Grima - Mustafa - Merchant Anna (she is not the same as the playable Anna from Awakening, I won't discuss this point) - Masked Marth (we never get to play as this dashing fella in Awakening. He only appears as a boss and in cutscenes, so I will treat it as a Black Knight situation and you can't change my mind) TOTAL: 5

Fates: Garon - Arete - Iago - Mikoto - Lilith (she is different from Merlinus to me, because you could actually move Merlinus. Lilith counts as NPC) TOTAL: 5

Three Houses: Sothis - Seiros - Nemesis - Solon - Kronya - Flame Emperor - Death Knight (Hegemon Husk doesn't count as a different character because she wasn't fully possessed like Lyon and she wasn't hiding her identity behind a fake one like Sirius and all his copycats) TOTAL: 7

TMS: ................ TOTAL: 0

Heroes: Everyone was never playable before Heroes, of course. 😛 But for the purpose of this list this cast is excluded. TOTAL: 0

(I recognize that not everyone will agree on how I count characters who age, possessed characters and characters with a secret identity. Here is my reasoning. For characters with secret identities, I count them if they go by different names like the Camus trio, Masked Marth, Death Knight, the Awakening kid trio and so on. So the mysterious dancer from Fates doesn't get to be a different character because she calls herself Azura. For possessed characters like Robin and Lyon, I count it only if the evil demon has completely taken over. I would count a good Julius as a completely different character too. In my opinions with other characters like Takumi, Tiki, Mareeta, the Morgans and so on, you can still see who they were in them. Not so much for Grima and Fomortiis, so that's how I counted them. Characters who appear before and after a big time-skip, bigger than the five years of Three Houses and Tellius, I count as different characters. So basycally only Finn and some Elibe characters count double)

TOTAL OVERALL: 41

So forty brand new playable characters from our favorite franchise. I expected more, but I guess stuff like trial maps and Awakening did it first.

So, what do you think? Are you happy for the attention enemies and NPCs are getting in Heroes, or you don't care about them at all? Are there some other never before playable characters you are waiting for?

Personally I really want Ayaha (so TMS can finally join the party too), Bryce and Bertram from PoR, as well as Jarod and Lekain, all of the morphs, Cornelia, Ladislava, Randolph and Fleche from Three Houses, Nuibaba from Valentia, Pamela from FE4 just to complete the set, Phila and Valibar from Awakening and also all the capturable bosses from Fates. For the lore characters, I guess Anri, Soan and Elimine would be cool.

Oh, and of course Medeus, duh?!

Edited by GrandeRampel

9 minutes ago, GrandeRampel said:

Archanea: Clarisse - Eremiya (Gharnef, Legion, Camus and Emperor Hardin were playbale in Awakening) TOTAL: 2

Both Clarisee and Eremiya (as well as Legion and Gharnef for that matter) were playable in one of New Mystery's DLC maps, actually.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

1 hour ago, GrandeRampel said:

Heroes: Everyone was never playable before Heroes, of course. 😛 But for the purpose of this list this cast is excluded. TOTAL: 0

I think this is going to be semi-related to the topic but I don't know if this is going to be counted since they originated in Heroes that later became playable. We actually don't have original versions of Veronica, Bruno, Gustav, Henriette, nor Freyr that never been summoned as fully playable units as of right now when their alts version became playable later on. I really think the five original NPCs who only later got have playable alts should might get included.

33 minutes ago, King Marth 64 said:

I think this is going to be semi-related to the topic but I don't know if this is going to be counted since they originated in Heroes that later became playable. We actually don't have original versions of Veronica, Bruno, Gustav, Henriette, nor Freyr that never been summoned as fully playable units as of right now when their alts version became playable later on. I really think the five original NPCs who only later got have playable alts should might get included.

I know but it's better to simply ignore original characters because this list is about characters from other games getting a playable versions in Heroes. The Heroes section of the list was done in jest.

Yune was kind of playable in Radiant Dawn. Given she possessed Micaiah. I get the impression she had pretty much full control of her, but was just nicer about it compared to Loptyr and Fomortiis and let Micaiah retain some agency. It's not like I really left Radiant Dawn saying "Gee I sure wish I could have played as Yune."

Personally, I really don't count Awakening's Einherjar/Spotpass units (except for the Spotpass paralogues; recruiting supposedly dead characters from the main story is very reminiscent of trial maps, but you don't have to do multiple playthroughs to unlock them, which is great).

It's not truly them, not in the way like they are in Heroes. They're just "spirits"; with their original, official art as their portrait and their model merely a preset avatar. My Nergal Einherjar? Just a Sorcerer with a forged Aversa's Night renamed to Ereshkigal. You will never convince me that I'm actually playing as Nergal. Because I'm not.

It's simply not the same. Alas, it's not my list. You do you.

Ok look...when Awakening was fresh, I DID train a bunch of Einherjar (mainly villains); cap their stats and forge them "unique" weapons (and LB + AT to make them unbreakable). Yes, I had fun doing so. But this was before Heroes came out and made this concept much more genuine, and arguably more fun.

1 minute ago, Baron the Shining Blade said:

Personally, I really don't count Awakening's Einherjar/Spotpass units (except for the Spotpass paralogues; recruiting supposedly dead characters from the main story is very reminiscent of trial maps, but you don't have to do multiple playthroughs to unlock them, which is great).

It's not truly them, not in the way like they are in Heroes. They're just "spirits"; with their original, official art as their portrait and their model merely a preset avatar. My Nergal Einherjar? Just a Sorcerer with a forged Aversa's Night renamed to Ereshkigal. You will never convince me that I'm actually playing as Nergal. Because I'm not.

It's simply not the same. Alas, it's not my list. You do you.

Ok look...when Awakening was fresh, I DID train a bunch of Einherjar (mainly villains); cap their stats and forge them "unique" weapons (and LB + AT to make them unbreakable). Yes, I had fun doing so. But this was before Heroes came out and made this concept much more genuine, and arguably more fun.

The Black Knight wearing bright red armour with a lance is a better example I think. They couldn't even mod the game to give him the proper weapon type  -_-

2 minutes ago, Jotari said:

The Black Knight wearing bright red armour with a lance is a better example I think. They couldn't even mod the game to give him the proper weapon type  -_-

First, what bright red armor? BK Einherjar doesn't wear bright red armor. Believe me, I'd know. You sure it's not just the enemy color palette you're looking at?

Second, I do agree that they should've given him the proper weapon type. Heck, I reclassed BK and Zephiel to Hero and Grandmaster respectively so they could wield swords. Other characters got similar treatment (Ashnard using an axe?). But at the same time--given the limitation of the Awakening classes--there is some logic behind this choice:

• BK - Class: General  ~Wields lances and axes. Has a higher lance rank, because in FE9/10 he can wield swords and lances
  • Ashnard - Class: Wyvern Lord ~Wields axes and lances. Has a higher axe rank, because in FE9 he can wield swords and axes (yes, really, though you'd never see it without hacking or using him in trial maps)
  • And then there's...Zephiel, whose class is General despite his original King class being sword-locked. Clearly they did this because King is an armored class (though not weak to armor slaying weapons, hence he has the Conquest skill)

There were probably more examples, but I can't remember any more off the top of my head.

2 minutes ago, Baron the Shining Blade said:

First, what bright red armor? BK Einherjar doesn't wear bright red armor. Believe me, I'd know. You sure it's not just the enemy color palette you're looking at?

Second, I do agree that they should've given him the proper weapon type. Heck, I reclassed BK and Zephiel to Hero and Grandmaster respectively so they could wield swords. Other characters got similar treatment (Ashnard using an axe?). But at the same time--given the limitation of the Awakening classes--there is some logic behind this choice:

• BK - Class: General  ~Wields lances and axes. Has a higher lance rank, because in FE9/10 he can wield swords and lances
  • Ashnard - Class: Wyvern Lord ~Wields axes and lances. Has a higher axe rank, because in FE9 he can wield swords and axes (yes, really, though you'd never see it without hacking or using him in trial maps)
  • And then there's...Zephiel, whose class is General despite his original King class being sword-locked. Clearly they did this because King is an armored class (though not weak to armor slaying weapons, hence he has the Conquest skill)

There were probably more examples, but I can't remember any more off the top of my head.

Yeah, I'm thinking of the enemy palette, because I never used the Einherjar Black Knight. I can only assume he's blue, which is really no better when you get down to it. I think in the Black Knights case specifically they could have uniquely allowed him to have a sword rank instead of an axe rank. Sure the animations wouldn't fit 1:1, but I'd still prefer it over him not being able to use his signature weapon. And just in general it'd make the Einherjar more interesting. Not only are they flavourless and lacking in actual character, but in terms of gampleay the Einherjar's just aren't that attractive. Compared to proper playable characters they have no support ranks which makes them a lot weaker in this very support focused game. They do have class diversity going for them as an advantage, but that quickly turns a gameplay advantage into a major disadvantage for the system as a whole, as any one Einherjar can do the job of the next one. Meaning the only ones that actually attract me are the ones that get access to unique skills like Shadow Gift or Rightful King (or the Manakete class in Tiki's case). Giving the Black Knight and Ashnard weapon types they're not meant to have in that game's system would similar give them something unique and make them worth using, in addition to actually making them feel more like the character they're meant to be (Zephiel I don't really care about as much give Eckesachs already looks like a lance).

Yeah, that could've been neat.

But honestly, I think Heroes was the best way to move forward with the all-star concept (say what you will about gachas). I've always and will continue to give some CYL votes to Nergal since he's yet to truly be playable, he's one of the only major villains yet to make it in; and for many of us, he was our first major FE villain. Come ON already, IS. Even a GHB would do.

Re:OP, funnily enough, Faye, Byleth, Claude, Edelgard and Dimitri could all be added to this list too, since they actually got released in Heroes shortly before their proper debut.

Edited by Jotari

1 hour ago, Jotari said:

Re:OP, funnily enough, Faye, Byleth, Claude, Edelgard and Dimitri could all be added to this list too, since they actually got released in Heroes shortly before their proper debut.

I'll pretend I didn't see that. 🙄

But really those Roy playable in "Melee first" situation are really funny to me. But funny  or not, including them would mean being a smartass about the title.

Being playable a short time sooner than when they would have been playable anyway can't be compared to "if it wasn't for Heroes existing they would never have been playable".

5 hours ago, Jotari said:

Yune was kind of playable in Radiant Dawn. Given she possessed Micaiah. I get the impression she had pretty much full control of her, but was just nicer about it compared to Loptyr and Fomortiis and let Micaiah retain some agency. It's not like I really left Radiant Dawn saying "Gee I sure wish I could have played as Yune."

I don't remember that Yune was ever possessing Micaiah through any of the ingame chapters maps in Radiant Dawn. I definitely recall Yune does only possessed Micaiah for the story and in-game cutscenes with Ike facing off Ashera. I definitely don't count as Yune ever been playable in Radiant Dawn.

10 hours ago, GrandeRampel said:

I know but it's better to simply ignore original characters because this list is about characters from other games getting a playable versions in Heroes. The Heroes section of the list was done in jest.

Err... I guess you're right about that. I'll definitely might think of leave them be as the way it is.

On 7/21/2021 at 5:01 PM, GrandeRampel said:

Three Houses: Sothis - Seiros - Nemesis - Solon - Kronya - Flame Emperor - Death Knight (Hegemon Husk doesn't count as a different character because she wasn't fully possessed like Lyon and she wasn't hiding her identity behind a fake one like Sirius and all his copycats) TOTAL: 7

There's also Gatekeeper. Also (3H SPOILERS):

Spoiler

Also, should Death Knight really be included here? Playable Jeritza uses the class in Crimson Flower after all; the only thing he's lacks is the helmet.

Edited by DefyingFates

Well, we jusy got another character to add to the list, so that's cool 😃

On 7/27/2021 at 12:48 AM, DefyingFates said:

There's also Gatekeeper. Also (3H SPOILERS):

Reveal hidden contents

Also, should Death Knight really be included here? Playable Jeritza uses the class in Crimson Flower after all; the only thing he's lacks is the helmet.

Yeah, I just didn't want to include someone who isn't in the game yet.

As for the spoilered part, I can see why you would think that, but I wanted to treat them the same way as Masked Marth and Black Knight for fairness' sake.