Can't upgrade puppets

altlover85

What chapter are you on ?

Sadly, you can only upgrade things in your MyCastle after you reach a certain chapter in the story--including puppets. You won't be able to immediately upgrade your puppet to level 3 and you have to wait until chapter 23(?) until it's available. When it is, you can just talk to your castle helper (Jakob/Felicia) and it'll be available for upgrade. Yukimura is a very, very late recruit.

Yeah, MyCastle building upgrades are locked behind chapter requirements.  I think it is chapter 23 you have to be at to get the final upgrade necessary, but the system files kinda make it confusing because they say that Chapter 22 is a requirement for unlocking the last upgrade (I'd guess by that they mean you need to beat Chapter 22 to get the final upgrade).  And he can only be unlocked in Birthright (without hacks, anyway).  You could also try to get him by purchasing him with Renown in other players' castles, though he'd probably be a bit on the expensive side in this regard and he won't have access to any supports with other characters unless you did some save-editing (which would require hacking your 3DS).

To be quite rank, getting him through purchase is probably more worthwhile than just getting him through normal means because he can only gain supports with your protagonist.  That is, unless you actually want your character to marry him.  With him joining exceptionally late he's about the opposite of optimal for either your protagonist's class options or building Kana, but if you just want to see what their supports are like or are just enamored by stubbled glasses man with creepy puppets enough that you want to befriend him then knock yourself out.

Thanks so much for all of the info!  The weird thing is, I can't even upgrade the puppets to Level 2.  I'm about to start Chapter 22, so I'm surprised that it hasn't become an option yet.  I played through Conquest and had no problem getting Flora and Izana and no problem getting Izana in this Birthright playthrough, so I'm confused as to why I'm having this issue.  If I could take a screenshot, I would.  Maybe I could just take a picture of my DS screen, if that would help.