Is it Possible to Clear Hard Mode Without Grinding?

I couldn't clear one of the Zofia Seaway maps in chapter 1 so I just resorted to grinding. I wouldn't say I ruined the game for myself because the game was still difficult even after grinding on Alm's route as well.

When I played Hard Mode on my first run, I did grind just so all of my units were usable, but that wasn't necessary. My overall levels were lower than most other people I saw playing by the end.

The game shouldn't be too hard as long as you aren't getting too screwed on your stat gains. There are also stat boosting fountains in different areas that can be helpful.

My first playthrough was on Hard and I don't recall grinding. I abused the crap out of that turnwheel though. Especially when I discovered you can reroll the results of Expel and enemy summoners spawning more enemies.

Define 'grinding'. It's pretty hard to avoid finding optional fights while playing normally. I picked a few out of my way when people were on the cusp of promotion, which arguably counts.

It's certainly possible, in any case. Most FEs have been completed with 0% growths.

4 hours ago, Parrhesia said:

Define 'grinding'. It's pretty hard to avoid finding optional fights while playing normally. I picked a few out of my way when people were on the cusp of promotion, which arguably counts.

It's certainly possible, in any case. Most FEs have been completed with 0% growths.

Technically, it's along the lines of spending an hour fighting the undead. But life starts getting hard with that mercenary with the leather shield, along with killing off Desiax and taking the Mila Temple.

All it takes is an enemy Knight or Baron to screw over half your army because this game doesn't have much of an counter against magic.

18 hours ago, Armchair General said:

All it takes is an enemy Knight or Baron to screw over half your army because this game doesn't have much of an counter against magic.

This doesn't make much sense to say. A playable Mage with enough Attack and Speed can quite easily one-round an enemy Armor Knight. On top of that, they have very low movement, so they're not especially threatening to your frailer troops.

18 hours ago, Armchair General said:

Technically, it's along the lines of spending an hour fighting the undead. But life starts getting hard with that mercenary with the leather shield, along with killing off Desiax and taking the Mila Temple.

Again, Leather Shield Mercenary and Javelin Desaix aren't too tough with a proper Mage. As for the Mila Temple, you'll want Snipers. If you have the Killer Bow with Hunter's Volley, you can shred right through their Arcanists and Snipers.

5 hours ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

This doesn't make much sense to say. A playable Mage with enough Attack and Speed can quite easily one-round an enemy Armor Knight. On top of that, they have very low movement, so they're not especially threatening to your frailer troops

I'm saying that this game revolves around magic since everything but the arcanists and the dread fighters are vulnerable to it. If you didn't convert your villagers into a spare mage or two, then all Alm gets is two mages and possibly two saints.

Don't have magic? Then you're kind of at the mercy of dealing chip damage to the baron since there isn't an anti-armor weapon in this game, provided that you aren't ahead of the stat curve.

1 hour ago, Armchair General said:

I'm saying that this game revolves around magic since everything but the arcanists and the dread fighters are vulnerable to it. If you didn't convert your villagers into a spare mage or two, then all Alm gets is two mages and possibly two saints.

Don't have magic? Then you're kind of at the mercy of dealing chip damage to the baron since there isn't an anti-armor weapon in this game, provided that you aren't ahead of the stat curve.

The game provides you with far more tools to deal with Armored enemies than you're acknowledging.

The Lightning Sword is obtained at the Southern Outpost, midway through Act 1, before you have to face a single Armor. Its attack power is fixed, sure, but you're generally doubling enemy Armor Knights with it. And while Alm's side has a dearth of sword users, you get a guaranteed one in Alm.

The Steel Lance shows up a bit later, when Clive joins. That said, it can be used to unlock the Armorcrush art on your lance user of choice, providing a source of effective damage.

Even before promoting to Saint, Silque (and possibly Faye) offers magical damage via Nosferatu. Not a ton of it, granted, but it can add up (especially if they double and/or crit).

That said, I will agree that making at least one of Alm's villagers go Mage is an optimal choice.