Byleth personality without Sothis

I know that Byleth wouldn’t be alive without Sothis but I’ve always wondered what would be their personality if they weren’t a stillborn and without Sothis.Byleth had problems expressing themselves in canon so think of this as an AU. What personality would you give him or her btw.I’m curious since I’ve seen one of my friends make FByleth a Kaine from nier XD 

Call me boring, but I like to stick with how the characters are meant to be like from what I understand about them. Robin can be a bit of a smartass at times, Corrin is incredibly naïve but kind, and Byleth is a very stoic individual that, like the player, learns more about the world and its people through their interactions. As such, I would imagine that Byleth would be stoic and serious since they've pretty much only grown up with their father and mercenary group, so they're trained in the ways of combat and survival, meaning there's little time for games. They're called the Ashen Demon for a reason.

I kind of have trouble imagining things outside of established canon, so I apologize for that, but Byleth is a very "blank slate" kind of character to begin with. Ironically, I think that's what makes it harder to build any kind of personality for them outside of stoicism and occasional dry humor.

Byleth is a classic "straight man" for other characters to bounce off of. What personality they have is conveyed with expression, and it can be hilarious. Manuela's supports with Byleth are particularly good.

If they were fully voiced, I think some mixture of "stern" and "prone to dry humor/sarcasm" would be fitting. But never in a mean-spirited fashion. Byleth is that teacher that's harder than all of the other ones you have, but it's because they care about your success.

Edited by Fabulously Olivier

1 hour ago, Fabulously Olivier said:

If they had a voice actor

Uh...they both have one, just they weren't used for supports or event cutscenes.  Plus I think they both only speak one time without the player's input (Male Byleth awaiting Petra's vow to him in her S-Support, and Female Byleth's shock towards Dedue telling her he left Dimiti's service in his S-Support), and even then neither Byleth were voice acted.

Edited by FailWood

6 hours ago, FailWood said:

Uh...they both have one, just they weren't used for supports or event cutscenes.  Plus I think they both only speak one time without the player's input (Male Byleth awaiting Petra's vow to him in her S-Support, and Female Byleth's shock towards Dedue telling her he left Dimiti's service in his S-Support), and even then neither Byleth were voice acted.

I meant if they were fully voice acted.

I'd say "wooden", but that implies more depth than I want to convey. So let's say "cardboard".

The Professor is definitely held back by their near absence of lines, and no voice actor in narrative. They could have a rich personality under the surface that they never get the chance to express. This is part of what hurts the narrative after the skip - Sothis, previously acting as the Professor's "conscience" or "moral advisor", is unable to react to the plot events. What would she think of Boarmode Dimitri, or Edelgard the Conqueror, or even the mischief that Rhea got up to? We never get the chance to find out, and instead, Teach merely takes those characters at face value.

One thing I'd like to say is that Byleth is kind of a bland character he didn't really do anything in the story for me. Without Sothis he'd be killed when the Bandits scene happened. I think the problem with Byleth is that they focussed too much on the no emotion thing to the point they derive Byleth of personality, second problem is that they made Byleth too much as a self insert. The only stuff I'd think of Byleth is good at killing people, clueless about Fodlan and creepy sometimes.

Realistically, without Sothis presence "stunting" their emotions, I wouldn't be surprised if Byleth's personality and outlook mirrored Jeralt's. He'd have apathy towards the Church and politics of Fodlan at large and only look at the battlefield from a monetary mindset. Mind you, not that that would make them easily sway to Edelgard's philosophy either since, growing up as a mercenary, they likely would have first hand experience with a lot of Lords who believes their personal cause to be the moral just one.

Perhaps their arc would be one about learning that some ideals actually are worth fighting for. Think Squall Leonheart in Final Fantasy 8.

Edited by crimsonechidna