Question about Shin Megami Tensei.

--ACE--

I've only played the games from the Persona franchise (ie 3 to 5) and I've been wanting different experiences but in the same universe, you know? like games with different protagonists, but with Personas that have Zio, Diarama and these stuff, different but familiar, and I've been thinking about playing some shin megami tensei, but I wanted to know which one has the lightest story, because SMT is known for your stories are very DARK, Plot about the end of the world, demons and those shit, and I want to know without any SMT that goes with a more Persona vibe you know? Does it exist?

I'm afraid that none of them have anything remotely "light" in the stories. They are sad, depressing and dark to the core. SMT 4 (the base game and not apocalypse) might be a ok starting point.

54 minutes ago, Redpack007 said:

I've only played the games from the Persona franchise (ie 3 to 5) and I've been wanting different experiences but in the same universe, you know? like games with different protagonists, but with Personas that have Zio, Diarama and these stuff, different but familiar, and I've been thinking about playing some shin megami tensei, but I wanted to know which one has the lightest story, because SMT is known for your stories are very DARK, Plot about the end of the world, demons and those shit, and I want to know without any SMT that goes with a more Persona vibe you know? Does it exist?

Try Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor 2. The 3DS "Record Breaker" edition over the DS original if you can.

The game doesn't actually have SMT in its name in Japan, and the first Devil Survivor had "Megami Ibunroku" in Japan, indicating spinoff status. But, the Devil Survivor 2 does manage to blend (effectively in my opinion) an apocalypse and the ending choices of traditional SMT, with some levity and Persona-esque character bonding in the form of "Fate Levels", as well an SRPG grid (although it leans into JRPG than SRPG).

Mainline SMT is not ever lighthearted, although I find its reputation for darkness to be overblown. SMT1, 2, and If... are all very dated,  III Nocturne might not be best for first timers either, nor Strange Journey. So I think I'd have to agree that IV would be the best attempt to start with the franchise, as the truly bleak stuff doesn't come until rather late in the story.

Tokyo Mirage Sessions. Though it lacks the usual SMT monsters, and there's no demon fusion. But it has that same SMT/Persona combat system. No Wild Card character unfortunately. Your protagonist is stuck with just the one guy, along with your party members. The story is bubblier than Persona and your ultimate moves are using J Pop to beat your enemies. I thought it was pretty fun.

But if you're strictly asking about games with SMT in the title, I've got nothing. Best look at the spinoffs, I think.

Edited by Glennstavos